• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Confirms Mirror's Edge 2 Is In Development

Nolan.

ItsInMyVeins said:
This. The whole point of ME is that it's a platformer in first person view. If I wanted it in third person I'd just play Prince of Persia.

Yeah but Ea might end up changing something for more mass appeal hopefully it might not be that though.

Teetris said:
Yes. PC version + 360 gamepad was the most fun I had with a videogame in a long time!

I'm going to be rocking the DS3 personally. I found the right bumper to be a pretty shitty jump button to be honest.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Loved the first one. I only completed the main story, though. I'd better play those damn time trials sooner or later.

Peru

If they make it third person I will jump off a building in an attempt to mirror (hehe) the game's stunts.

Also, yes to removing combat. At least gun combat. Get it outta here, I just want to feel the wind in my hair on top of buildings.

Agree on less combat in the storyline, but I'd adore Mirror's Edge multiplayer (whether it's racing or deathmatch or what). The Uncharted 2 Beta has got me addicted to verticality in my multiplayer, but I bet Mirror's Edge 2 might be able to one-up it in some fashions if they handled it right. Loved the first game even though the time trials and such were far too intimidating and difficult.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Rez said:
I'm not defending the combat, I'd like to see it scrapped in the sequel, but are you guys who are passionately calling for its removal the ones who tried to play through without shooting a gun?

I did that on my first run-through and got VERY frustrated, as some of the levels were clearly balanced with gun-play in mind. However, when I played through again on Hard and actually used guns, I had no issues with the combat, because it was incredibly easy.

Saying that ME's biggest issue was the combat is still valid (as the DLC was proved, pure platforming = bliss), but I think a lot more of you wouldn't have been as passionately against it if there wasn't that achievement hanging over your heads forcing you to play the game the way it wasn't actually intended to be played.
I played through blasting a gun when it needed to be blasted, but I would much prefer the game without all that silly nonsense or at least a better combat engine. The ultimate tease are the loading screens that aren't even possible moves. -_-

Broseybrose

Rez said:
I'm not defending the combat, I'd like to see it scrapped in the sequel, but are you guys who are passionately calling for its removal the ones who tried to play through without shooting a gun?

I did that on my first run-through and got VERY frustrated, as some of the levels were clearly balanced with gun-play in mind. However, when I played through again on Hard and actually used guns, I had no issues with the combat, because it was incredibly easy.

Saying that ME's biggest issue was the combat is still valid (as the DLC was proved, pure platforming = bliss), but I think a lot more of you wouldn't have been as passionately against it if there wasn't that achievement hanging over your heads forcing you to play the game the way it wasn't actually intended to be played.
I made my way through the game by running, jumping, climbing, and sliding 95% of the time. Only disarming when i had to. And they made Faith very fragile, which felt proper, but i feel the shooting mechanic could be improved. She should be a marks(wo)man. Give us better FPS controls and make the game a bit longer with a more satisfying ending and ill be VERY happy. I loved the first. Stunning visuals on PC too...

Meier

Ramenman said:
And combat was fiiiinnee, you people were just playing it wrong. Or being whiny.
Combat was not fine. Combat was god awful.

The core game is really great so if they simply remove the combat or heavily alter it, this has a great chance to be one of the best games of the year its released.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
ICallItFutile said:
It's good to see EA not giving up on a franchise just because the initial game bombed.

I don't know if this is an attempt to troll, but they sold a million copies of ME. Not what they expected I guess, but it still ain't that bad.

Ramenman

Caesar III said:
uhm: solving the last few levels without shooting is a PAIN! Especially the server room :(

"Beating up a dozen of fully armored SWATS as a single gymnast-girl that has no weapon or armour whatsoever is hard. News at 11".

Using no guns is the "Hard" difficulty level. Obviously it's hard, I'm not sure why people were surprised with that.

There's a reason the game allows you to pick up guns, it's to even the balance a bit. If you're willing to keep the fight unbalanced, don't come complain that you're losing ;)

Seeing people in the Official Thread trying to do a "no-guns run" on their very first playthrough doesn't make me wonder why this game is considered "frustrating" by some...

And/Or fast.

Yep, I was counting that as "being careful" in the case of Mirror's Edge :p

The game is designed this way because the devs wanted you to think, about how to take out ennemies one by one, avoid straight lines as much as possible, hit-and-run all the time, etc.
That's what make it enjoyable when you succeed.

You're not supposed to bang out at their face and buttkick them all like they're just too slow. This is not the Matrix.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Meier said:
Combat was not fine. Combat was god awful.

The core game is really great so if they simply remove the combat or heavily alter it, this has a great chance to be one of the best games of the year its released.
Yep. I hated every single instance where you were forced to fight with cops. Every single one.
Everything else was wonderful, though.

Ramenman

I do agree however that being forced to fight was probably a bad idea.

I loved the combat most when it incorporated directly within the "gotta get the hell out of here" nature of the chase scenes. See "In Another Castle" achievement.

Rez said:

Exactly.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Ramenman said:
I do agree however that being forced to fight was probably a bad idea.

I loved the combat most when it incorporated directly within the "gotta get the hell out of here" nature of the chase scenes. See "In Another Castle" achievement.
Exactly. Luckily, you weren't forced to fight except... uh... maybe 5-6 times during the whole game. But, man, I suffered playing through them.
Especially the ones with those obnoxious dudes armed with heavy machineguns.

MattNY

Rez said:

I would say that is a fair assessment and I can see how you would think that. I can only speak for myself, but I never found playing without a gun to be frustrating on any level. Rather, I felt each level I played without weapons to be more in tune with what I wanted out of the game. I loved approaching areas that were more heavy with guards and figuring out the best way to stealth, disarm and knockout an enemy without exposing myself to the rest of the squad.

I played through the game three times before I finally played through and used the weapons. By that time, it just felt alien to me. It wasn't the ME that I wanted to experience.

I ignored the combat completely in the first game, because I thought I was allowed to. Then they started locking you into sections until you'd defeated the enemies surrounding you. That sucked, but I still had a lot of fun with the game, even if those sections were a chore.

Looking forward to seeing what they bring with the sequel.

Blizzard

Banned
HOORAY!!!!! I'm quite happy to see this news. Now if only the PC version comes out at the same time, rather than like THREE MONTHS AFTERWARDS.

It's sad though, we'll probably have only a few custom levels by the time the new game comes out. I've been slacking off from my modding/website duties for the last several weeks. =(

And finally I can bug one of the ME1 designers about it again to see if he's on the team! It's confirmed now, he can't keep hiding it from me. :lol

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Cool. I liked the first game, definitely one of the most innovating and beautiful games of last year. It had it's shortcomings, I hope they improve on that. The suggestion of adding more mirroring windows is a good one, could be really cool. I also would like to see in-engine cutscenes - I though the animated cutscenes looked incredibly shitty. Or get a proper Japanese or Korean studio to do your animations if you want them to stand out.

Something that would definitely make it more interesting for me would be way more people populating the offices and streets. I guess it's difficult to do, and would put a strain on the engine/processing power/whatever, but the way ME's streets and offices were deserted made me feel Faith, fellow runners and the cops were the only ones around.

freethought said:
I have to say, some of the language in there is slightly worrying. As long as they rip the combat out and leave the rest of it intact I'll be happy. I'm just worried they'll turn it third person or something equally stupid.

Does the PC version support gamepads? I can't imagine playing it with a keyboard. Mouse would be fine but it's such a movement focused game I'd just prefer to stick to a pad.

Yes, but it works so much better with m+kb. The precision a mouse gives helps immensely. Since movement is momentum based, analog controls add nothing to this area.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MattNY said:
I would say that is a fair assessment and I can see how you would think that. I can only speak for myself, but I never found playing without a gun to be frustrating on any level. Rather, I felt each level I played without weapons to be more in tune with what I wanted out of the game. I loved approaching areas that were more heavy with guards and figuring out the best way to stealth, disarm and knockout an enemy without exposing myself to the rest of the squad.

I played through the game three times before I finally played through and used the weapons. By that time, it just felt alien to me. It wasn't the ME that I wanted to experience.
Yeah, during my gun-less playthrough I approached each room where combat was necessary as a puzzle. It was strategic in a way, if I screwed up, I'd have to start over.

"If I slide down that window, run over and slide kick the closest guy with a shotgun, knock him out, run behind and slide under that little gap in the wall, jump down to a staircase below, trigger Runner vision (or whatever the slow-motion thing was called), disarm the other guy who's running up towards me, then quickly deal with the remaining lone guard who's shooting at me by just making a mad dash toward him and jump kicking him, I should be able to complete this room. Alright, attempt twenty-three, here we go."

so yeah, I totally understand what you're saying. :)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
ItsInMyVeins said:
I don't know if this is an attempt to troll, but they sold a million copies of ME. Not what they expected I guess, but it still ain't that bad.

That's just what Jeff Green said how ME's performance was referred to as internally. :p

freethought said:
How are the controls set up? The location of crouch and jump are the greatest concern. Is the quick turn still in there, more importantly is it even necessary?

I never have a problem with function on a keyboard, but I rarely find it intuitive or comfortable. Still, I'm usually more than willing to endure because of the mouse, but with ME's combat being entirely secondary it doesn't strike me as necessary.

You're free to remap every key,I personally added crouch and 180 spin to my mouse buttons and it works beatifully. If you don't like using many keyboard keys then you seriouslyneed to pick up a mouse like the MX518. With "uber options" you're free to map the 5 extra buttons to whatever you like, makes games much more intuitive.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
ICallItFutile said:
That's just what Jeff Green said how ME's performance was referred to as internally. :p

Yeah, I remember that. But since it's sold over a million copies it can't be that bad.

DangerStepp

This is awesome news. I had a great time with Mirror's Edge and I'll be excited to see what improvements they can make.

brain_stew said:
You're free to remap every key,I personally added crouch and 180 spin to my mouse buttons and it works beatifully. If you don't like using many keyboard keys then you seriouslyneed to pick up a mouse like the MX518. With "uber options" you're free to map the 5 extra buttons to whatever you like, makes games much more intuitive.

Actually that sounds pretty cool. I've already got a five button mouse so I might give it a shot.

Broseybrose

Haunted said:
Someone post some PC shots to celebrate the occasion.
Happy to oblige. Tinypic resized em from 1920.

t6rwyg.jpg

2w4e5j5.jpg

smfy50.jpg

23jrfax.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how to type out a a representation of a loving sigh, maybe "haaaaaaaaaahhhh" or something, but yeah, that's what I did when I saw those shots

-PXG-

Rez said:
THE GAME WOULD BE RUINED IN THIRD PERSON

kjnkcjnkjnKJNJKNJKnJKNkjbGHFCgrdcV

;)

EA wanted the first one to be third person. DICE insisted on making it first person.

Mirror's Edge was my GOTY last year. I loved every minute of it. I just wish it was longer.

I rented the first one and was not thrilled with the gameplay, loved the world and music though. Hopefully they can make something more fun to play this time.

Davidion

First one was not perfect by any means, but it was novel and relatively well-executed. I sure didn't regret spending my money on it.

Bring on the second one. :D

kodt

Banned
Am I the only one who liked the combat? I did my first playthrough without using guns and I still enjoyed the combat. It made the game more interesting and intense. I agree that the platform/free running should be the main focus of the game but without the "blues" chasing or attacking you lose the sense of urgency.

The only part I needed to retry multiple times was that server room at the end, but it was fun devising a strategy to beat that part without using guns. The game was still incredibly short, so I don't think you can complain about the few difficult parts that extended the playtime :lol

GreyMatter said:
It was a wounded crawl to that number, but Mirror's Edge as well as Dead Space sold over 1m units. So, we'll be hearing non-Extraction Dead Space news soon, I'd bet.

1 million is enough for a sequel

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Haunted said:
Someone post some PC shots to celebrate the occasion.
Cloth simulation on PC is unbelievable. Too bad the PS3 version (the one I played) didn't have it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
awesome news (though expected). heres to hoping there is less trial and error, more exploration, and of course, more chases

Firestorm

There was no trial an error in Mirror's Edge. I'm not sure what you guys think is trial and error. I mean, the game even had the next thing you should be interacting with painted red.

This is very, very, very good news =)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Firestorm said:
There was no trial an error in Mirror's Edge. I'm not sure what you guys think is trial and error. I mean, the game even had the next thing you should be interacting with painted red.

This is very, very, very good news =)

there definitely was when bad guys were involved. if you didnt know the general path to go, you were fucked. thats trial and error, and there were several portions of the game that fit that bill

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
After playing the demo and falling in love with the game, I ordered it off ebay a few days ago. Looking forward to playing it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ramenman said:
"Beating up a dozen of fully armored SWATS as a single gymnast-girl that has no weapon or armour whatsoever is hard. News at 11".

Using no guns is the "Hard" difficulty level. Obviously it's hard, I'm not sure why people were surprised with that.

There's a reason the game allows you to pick up guns, it's to even the balance a bit. If you're willing to keep the fight unbalanced, don't come complain that you're losing ;)

Seeing people in the Official Thread trying to do a "no-guns run" on their very first playthrough doesn't make me wonder why this game is considered "frustrating" by some...

I did this and loved it, also turned off the color hints.

You can get through the whole game by running away from pretty much everysone save for 2 encounters where you have to give them a quick kick.

Loved this game, can't wait for the sequel.

Top Bottom