• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA DICE Environment Artist Recreates Bloodborne’s Environment In Unreal Engine 4

silva1991

BB's environments is still unbeaten for me(sorry DS1/3) and this makes it even better though I think it's missing some fog.

Sony I need BB2 pleas :(

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Video

Screens
More at the Source
http://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-...real-engine-4/

Looks incredibly accurate to me. Dude is incredibly talented.
Pretty cool!

What's going on with the foliage in 1:21 or so?

Important to remember that scenes done for a portfolio are not always the same as scenes done for a real game. In stuff like this you try to go all out and are not worrying about run-time performance.
Shhh don't let the facts get in the way of all that shitposting....

Maybe DICE should get the franchise?
Ewwwwww no. There's more to Bloodborne than its graphics.

pa22word

I've never really understood the hate for ca in bloodborne. The banding on the colors makes sense in bloodborne's twisted lovecraftian world. It adds a nightmarish and otherworldly edge to the game. Of course it doesn't look pretty nor accurate, the game isn't going for that type of look anyway.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I know UE4 supports VR. I'm imagining loading this up in VR and just exploring the area and its making my heart beat a bit faster.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I've never really understood the hate for ca in bloodborne. The banding on the colors makes sense in bloodborne's twisted lovecraftian world. It adds a nightmarish and otherworldly edge to the game. Of course it doesn't look pretty nor accurate, the game isn't going for that type of look anyway.
Be that as it may, I'd say even someone at FromSoftware agrees that the CA is completely unnecessary/should be optional considering they advertised the game with screenshots that had the CA disabled. Plus combined with the framepacing it really kinda ruins the look of the game in a lot of places.

ExVicis

But then you have people like this, who apparently love blurred images and hate good IQ.

Are you kidding? The blurry aspects add to the game? It's unclear if we're in a
dream
or not and that blurry part really helps sell that. I would rather not get rid of ambience because I want graphics.

rambis

Banned
This is nice but is it also PS4? Part of the technical challenge of game development is producing within constraints. If they are just using a specced up PC then its far less impressive.

DICE is just blowing every company out of the water this week, aren't they?

Stuff like this kinda drives me nuts. Especially if it's a Half life 2 recreation, like you're getting a glimpse of what could be but never will be reality.

Great work.

Looks much better than the actual game.

UE4 is a beast.

Whoa. Awesome, though the Hunters' Dream in-game had a more ethereal look.

Why you gotta do this to me. I didn't need to see Bloodborne with proper AA.

Probably runs better too.
Slow your roll guys. When has a tech demo ever delivered on exactly what was shown?

Are there any other UE4 games that currently look this good?

I only have a GTX660ti and a PS4 so this is an honest question.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sebastien Schulz of Crytek also made some Bloodborne inspired environmental art (in CryEngine).

Funny how someone at Crytek does it with their own internal engine but someone at DICE doesn't. Like I said: I want to see it on Frostbite. Hell, if he can't do that because LOL EA LOL NO TAKING INTERNAL COMPANY STUFF HOME TO USE ON YOUR OWN TIME LOL/security issues, I'd like to see him do Mirror's Edge: Catalyst in Unreal Engine 4 just to see how much of an "upgrade" from UE3 "Mirror's Edge 2" would've been.

Important to remember that scenes done for a portfolio are not always the same as scenes done for a real game. In stuff like this you try to go all out and are not worrying about run-time performance.

Yeah I'm aware. Still one day we'll be able to reach this in actual releases I'm sure. Will prob take another generational leap though.

ViciousDS

Banned
nah, looks to good. Wait, let me fix it

ogUT4Ke.jpg

yay, next gen.

- sees photo on phone, just looks more blurry -

-opens image on phone -

CA!!!!!!! Nnnnnnnooooooooo

impact

Banned
dream
or not and that blurry part really helps sell that. I would rather not get rid of ambience because I want graphics.

The chromatic blur filter adds nothing to the game. Come on.

Funny OP, I think if you changed the title to "Bloodborne: PS4 Neo version leaked" everyone would be talking about how amazing it looks.

Definitely prefer the originals. The "soul" is missing from DICE.

I can't say I'm a fan of DICE in the slightest but can you people actually articulate what is missing or are you just gonna keep talking all vague about it?

dream

Who on this planet saw CA and thought "Oh wow this really burs what is and isn't real?" Who?

Slow your roll guys. When has a tech demo ever delivered on exactly what was shown?

Are there any other UE4 games that currently look this good? I only have a GTX660ti and a PS4 so this is an honest question.

Yes but on PC.

UE4 has been seriously held back by the current generation of console hardware. Regardless the engine is much more powerful than FROM's, and would produce much better results than their tech can. FROM has competent technology but that's about all I can say for it. It's not like we haven't seen far more advanced games than theirs on the PS4.

Which isn't to really take anything away from them. Their games are very pretty. I'm sure they probably find stuff like this crazy flattering as well.

Kezen

Banned

Are there any other UE4 games that currently look this good?

I only have a GTX660ti and a PS4 so this is an honest question.

It's not a tech demo.

Rektash

Looks pretty sterile compared to the original(possibily due to oversharpening).

Then again, like someone else already said: Overall IQ is a lot better.

Crossing Eden

This is nice but is it also PS4? Part of the technical challenge of game development is producing within constraints. If they are just using a specced up PC then its far less impressive.
It's the artistry at work that's incredibly impressive. It wouldn't make much sense to optimize this scene for PS4 when that's not the point at all in making it.

ExVicis

The chromatic blur filter adds nothing to the game. Come on.

Of course it does, if the game pops way to vividly then it's flying right in the face of all that dream stuff. When has a dream ever been anything more than a haze? You'd sacrifice the game's soul just for graphical improvements?

Who on this planet saw CA and thought "Oh wow this really burs what is and isn't real?" Who?
Yo. There is a certain kind of janky, low-grade charm to all the Souls games that I really think if you took it out would actually decrease the quality of the game.

Fury451

Banned
Does lack just some of the same atmosphere, but it's absolutely phenomenal work. True professional at work here.

Of course it does, if the game pops way to vividly then it's flying right in the face of all that dream stuff. When has a dream ever been anything more than a haze? You'd sacrifice the game's soul just for graphical improvements?

Chromatic aberration is the game's "soul" now.

Well I've officially seen it all, folks.

BTW yes I would gut that fucking soul over a fire for graphical improvement if that soul is shitty CA.

Edit-
Yo. There is a certain kind of janky, low-grade charm to all the Souls games that I really think if you took it out would actually decrease the quality of the game.

Yeah that must be why From keeps making increasingly better looking games right? They're losing their soul!

nah, looks to good. Wait, let me fix it

ogUT4Ke.jpg

yay, next gen.

So Cinematic~! So Realistic~! I wouldn't have it any other way! Artistic integrity developers vision gfsalhdgkjlkiaujhbgkl

It'd be even better if there was a piss filter, then we'd REALLY feel like we're in a dream, because dreams are yellow and chromatically abberated irl

Of course it does, if the game pops way to vividly then it's flying right in the face of all that dream stuff. When has a dream ever been anything more than a haze?

i
wha
i don't even

Some comparison, original first:

It has nice IQ and has more polys in places, but it's not like the original one is ugly either.

it has real time shadows

Which is a big deal imo
Funny how someone at Crytek does it with their own internal engine but someone at DICE doesn't. Like I said: I want to see it on Frostbite. Hell, if he can't do that because LOL EA LOL NO TAKING INTERNAL COMPANY STUFF HOME TO USE ON YOUR OWN TIME LOL/security issues, I'd like to see him do Mirror's Edge: Catalyst in Unreal Engine 4 just to see how much of an "upgrade" from UE3 "Mirror's Edge 2" would've been.

It is kind of a shame how the big corporate engines like that are so closed box
Of course it does, if the game pops way to vividly then it's flying right in the face of all that dream stuff. .

I honestly am not positive if one evokes the lack of memory, the oddness, and the uncanny nature of dreams by adding a canned post effect that also (cough cough) coincidentally has seen a sudden and unreflected huge upsurge in poopularity among game artists.

kpaadet

It's the artistry at work that's incredibly impressive. It wouldn't make much sense to optimize this scene for PS4 when that's not the point at all in making it.
How is the "artistry" impressive if the artist just copied a place from another game? You want to impress me create something new and unique like FROM did.

ExVicis

BTW yes I would gut that fucking soul over a fire for graphical improvement if that soul is shitty CA.

You know what? I'll accept removing all that if you can make up for it with something equally FromSoft unintentionally good. Fix the atmosphere that's lost in the touched up images and I'm willing to take the new version.

Crossing Eden

How is the "artistry" impressive if the artist just copied a place from another game? You want to impress me create something new and unique like FROM did.
Because he was able to emulate the look of a game using a 3rd party engine using seemingly only using the game as reference and by himself as well. Even not being an artist in anyway shape or form or not knowing jack shit about how things like this are done you should be able to appreciate the artistry and effort that goes into making scenes like this.

You know what? I'll accept removing all that if you can make up for it with something equally FromSoft unintentionally good. Fix the atmosphere that's lost in the touched up images and I'm willing to take the new version.
These images aren't touched up as shown by the video in the OP. That's what the scene looks like in UE4.

rambis

Banned
Sure. But people have mostly been making comparisons in this thread so that was just a little perspective. Im sure most console devs have uber talented artists that can go wild on PC GPUs as well.

ExVicis

Yeah that must be why From keeps making increasingly better looking games right? They're losing their soul!

Yeah that must be it. It's not as if the new Souls game doesn't still have doesn't lots of hilarious problems that add to the overall charm of the game. Oh wait...

tuxfool

Banned

This is the craziest shit I've read all day.

pa22word

Well, considering you're just a joe on the Internet I'm sure that just breaks BBs art director's heart.

Iq isn't everything when it comes to art direction. It's like turning the grain and fog off in silent hill because you want to get a look at those far off sign post textures.

ExVicis

This is the craziest shit I've read all day.
Buckle up then buddy, you're gonna be reading a lot of it.

Iq isn't everything when it comes to art direction. It's like turning the grain and fog off in silent hill because you want to get a look at those far off sign post textures.
Pretty much. I find older horro games with horrid graphics much scarier because of those shitty graphics. It for some reason adds so much more to the element with a certain "something".

Top Bottom