• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Made Almost $1 Billion From Microtransactions Last Quarter

Bullet Club

EA Made Almost $1 Billion From Microtransactions Last Quarter

Business is booming for EA.

Gaming giant Electronic Arts reported earnings for its holiday quarter today, and the company performed ahead of expectations. In particular, revenue from EA's microtransaction bucket--called Live Services--reached nearly $1 billion. Another highlight was Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, which performed above expectations.

As you can see in the chart below, EA made $993 million from live services during the quarter ended December 31. For the trailing 12 months, EA made $2.835 billion from microtransactions.

4C8rP0N.png

EA made a total of $1.593 billion in revenue for the quarter and $361 million in profit, so as you can see, microtransactions are very big business for EA. A major part of EA's microtransaction revenue comes from the Ultimate Team modes for EA's sports games, including FIFA, Madden, and NHL.

The publisher also said Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order performed significantly above expectations. EA was modelling sales of 6-8 million copies, but now the company is expecting sales to reach 10 million copies during the current fiscal year ending March 31.

Additionally, EA said Star Wars: Battlefront II performed above expectations as well due in part to the renewed interest in Star Wars overall thanks to The Rise of Skywalker and more.

Moving to a different title, EA said Apex Legends saw higher player engagement during Season 3 than in Season 2, and EA will be looking to build on that momentum for the upcoming Season 4. The company also teased that Respawn will bring Apex Legends to at least one new platform during the year. It's already confirmed for mobile, but a Nintendo Switch version seems unlikely.

Also during the earnings call, EA re-confirmed its plans to launch a new Battlefield game on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. The company is planning additional releases as well, EA CEO Andrew Wilson said. "We'll be ready to lead with some of our top titles," he said.

Source: Gamespot

Woo-Fu

Banned
I wonder if that BF game will be Bad Company 3. A non-woke BC3 that doesn't drastically alter the original formula would go a long way towards rebuilding the brand.

joe_zazen

Man, people are idiots. I'll never understand spending money on microtransactions. I'll also never understand buying cosmetic in game items. Why? Who cares what skin your character has?

ultimate team helps you win. you can treat your mental illness with videogame sports victories while waiting for candy crush and clash royale timers.

xiseerht

If you ever wonder why these publishers are putting MTs in their games. This is why. Because we keep buying them . Complaining about them online and still buying them , does not stop them from not putting them in their games.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Well I do and most people do too, that is why there are hundreds of clothing stores in every city, why fashion exists and such. I like to look presentable, while at work, at home, outside and even, if possible, in a video game.
But then you choose a nickname that isn't. Maczedoneonesevenchief, wtf!

Bkdk

Consumers have voted with wallet that they indeed to like micro transactions. Making new AAA games have becoming such a risky and unrewarding business venture for companies now, the games will have to sell 10+ millions copies in full price to be considered as worth the effort, not to mention game dev cycle have become super long while they can pump out new micro transaction products weekly.

Last edited:
Well I do and most people do too, that is why there are hundreds of clothing stores in every city, why fashion exists and such. I like to look presentable, while at work, at home, outside and even, if possible, in a video game.
I get looking nice in the real world. But games aren't real world, man.

Fbh

Which is why I think they won't "learn" anything from Fallen Order.

While we are celebrating that a single player, no BS Star Wars game sold great. All EA shareholders will think about is how much more money they could have made if it had microtransactions

DonF

All that money and battlefield 5 is still in a pre beta like state over a year after launch.
have you played it recently? It has had lots of patches. Though I feel that every 3 steps they take, they go back 1.

Sometimes the time to kill is great, then they fuck up the net code, rollback the ttk, add an op weapon, add a great map, but also some glitches.

However, I say that right now its in a way better state than last year.

Gamernyc78

Banned
And this is why ganes don't need to go up in price and hvnt in years. Thy make tons of money with these transactions.

Just ignore companies/titles with these practices. It's obviously not going away when the market is this huge. No matter how committed an individual gamer may be against these sort of practices, it cannot stand against the tidal wave of the market.

Still plenty of great games to play while ignoring the garbage.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
However, I say that right now its in a way better state than last year.

5.2 made the game virtually unplayable.

Between making gunplay entirely garbage it's also introduced countless bugs that require hard restarts and completely broken hit registration for some things.

sublimit

Banned
Couldn't care less even if they made a trillion. They can put microtransactions to all their future games and i couldn't care less either. I don't even remember which was the last EA game that i bought. Whales can continue buing this shit and i will continue buying games that are free from that crap. It's as simple as that.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Disgusting!

But who is the bigger problem? EA or the people who by into it?

I haven't bought a single EA game in this genaration and I'm realy satisfied with myself.

Top Bottom