• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: No Battlefront TFA content: "Can't Violate Canon" arrangement w/ Lucas/Disney

j-wood

This makes zero sense. So why couldn't they make a TFA map, and just add the new heroes, and make the storm troopers the first order?

It would probably have to be an expansion pack, but come on.

Slime

Banned
"Can't violate canon," as in "can't lessen incentive to buy separate $60 product in 1-2 years."

TFA content will probably be the main selling point of Battlefront 2. I doubt this has anything to do with the Story Group dictating that certain characters are off limits.

sajj316

Isn't that the point of Battlefront games .. to create your own Star War scenarios? Who cares about canon .. it's about having fun. Stop taking yourself too seriously with this kind of game.

Alienous

They are worried about canon on a MP only game???

WTF!!

Frankly to me this is just an excuse so that EA can put this content on BF2 to boost sales.

I don't expect EA to be that forward thinking, particularly when their license to make Star Wars games expires in under a decade with Disney probably ready and willing to take it off of their hands.

I would expect EA to milk the license for what it's worth, and if that means a Force Awakens game sooner rather than later I don't doubt they would execute on that.

OSHAN

I'm sure there is a valid reason for it. This is just money left on the table otherwise. They would ALL OVER selling me Kylo Ren. I have no doubts there.

entremet

Isn't that the point of Battlefront games .. to create your own Star War scenarios? Who cares about canon .. it's about having fun. Stop taking yourself too seriously with this kind of game.

Something is fishy here since the games do violate canon.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Simple solution: at the end of every match, cut to a random Star Wars character waking up in the middle of the night, have them then turn to the camera and say "what a weird dream".

I'm pretty sure what he means is that they were not given the license for TFA era content, or prequel content and thus are forced to produce content from the original trilogy era, which includes things like Jakku and Rogue One. My guess is Disney and EA will renagotiate this agreement for BFii. It sucks, but I always assumed the licensing agreement worked something like this once they first started saying they'd stick with OT content.

I think the real reason here is probably something like "we're saving the new trilogy stuff to be a selling point for Battlefront 2".

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't expect EA to be that forward thinking, particularly when their license to make Star Wars games expires in under a decade with Disney probably ready and willing to take it off of their hands.
And do what with it? They don't have a console division.

That's actually why it excludes mobile and kids games from the exclusivity part, since that's what they do make.

Koyuga

I just want more Clone Wars era content, it's vastly more interesting than stuff in the Original Trilogy and New Trilogy.

i dont even know how they are gonna make a battlefront based on the prequels.... so are we just gonna fight droids and clones?

what BIG exciting events happened in the prequels? i dont even remember..

so none of the characters from battlefront 1 are gonna show up?

"Live out your Star Wars Battle fantasies" (But only the ones we want)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure what he means is that they were not given the license for TFA era content, or prequel content and thus are forced to produce content from the original trilogy era, which includes things like Jakku and Rogue One. My guess is Disney and EA will renagotiate this agreement for BFii. It sucks, but I always assumed the licensing agreement worked something like this once they first started saying they'd stick with OT content.

This sounds more like what it is.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
And do what with it? They don't have a console division.

That's actually why it excludes mobile and kids games from the exclusivity part, since that's what they do make.

Sell it to a different developer? Activision, maybe?
or a console manufacturer, muahaha

Mock Lucas as much as you want, he gives people what they want.

Star Tours: The Adventure Continues at Disneyland has a scene on Hoth with AT-ATs, yet it takes place before the Rebel base is discovered.

https://www.mouseplanet.com/9904/Taking_a_Trip_on_Star_Tours

“He was very nice,” Surrell remembered. “He said he liked what we proposed but he was disappointed that the adventure on Hoth didn’t include the Walkers. We explained that since according to the timeline that the rebels had not yet established a base on the planet that we couldn’t use them.

“George looked at us and said, ‘Who cares?’
We were stunned," Surrell said. "He explained that perhaps there was an earlier encounter with the rebels and the Walkers on the planet while they were scouting the area. Afterward, the rebels later decided to build a base there figuring the Empire wouldn’t think the rebels would return to that same location. He was right, of course. Guests going to Hoth would expect to see the Walkers.”

The more likely explanation is that Disney refused to trust EA with ANYTHING from the movie ahead of time, outside of the one planet, and post release, they'd rather put it all into the sequel for more money.

bullshit.gif

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I always knew the games biggest downfall would be that it was going to stick too heavily to its "lets only do things from the original trilogy!" shtick.

//ARCANUM

This sounds like the biggest BS excuse for not including TFA content in Battlefront. I don't know the real reason that either EA or Disney doesn't WANT the content in there, but it's not this reason. The game "breaks canon" left and right. It's not a story game. It's a remix game if anything. What a bunch of nonsense.

I highly doubt I'll be buying ANY of the DLC at this point. If they had launched their first DLC pack as a TFA pack, it would have sold TONS. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

-griffy-

Banned
I mean...if you don't want contradictions as far as time period, then you just make a Starkiller base map where all the Storm Troopers are wearing First Order Storm Trooper suits and the good guys are called Resistance instead of Rebels. And the hero classes are all from TFA (Finn/Rey on Resistance, Kylo/Phasma on First Order). Your ships are just the new TIEs/X-wings, and the hero ships are the Falcon with a square radar dish and Kylo's ship. And all these assets only appear on TFA maps.

But come on, it makes total sense for Boba Fett to fly around Endor and Palpatine to lightning fools to death on Hoth, but way too confusing for Kylo Ren to show up on Tattooine in an out of context multiplayer shooter.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I think the real reason here is probably something like "we're saving the new trilogy stuff to be a selling point for Battlefront 2".

I think the real reason is "we don't want to make an entire game's worth of new player and vehicle assets for a $20 expansion pack." But also what you said.

Luke running around in RotJ clothes with a green lightsaber on Hoth. Just tell the truth, guys.
They patched that.

The Sequel Trilogy isn't complete. They can't have certain heroes do certain things because it would be a spoiler. A big one. Mobile and console/PC games are licensed separately by Disney, so the rules that apply to Battlefront don't necessarily apply to Galaxy of Heroes.

Disney/LucasFilm likely only licensed the OT and related products to EA. It's why Amy's game will be set in that time period, it's why Battlefront can only use Rebel Alliance vs. Galactic Empire settings. It's why the Battle of Jakku was fine to use, because it was still a part of the Galactic Civil War, and it's why Rogue One content will probably be used.

Plus, there isn't anything for them to build assets from with photogrammery for the PT.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Andrew Wilson - Electronic Arts Inc. - CEO
On the Star Wars play, just to add a little, what we have seen is that the movie or the content of the movie itself hasn't impeded the engagement
in various Star Wars games. We've seen that across console, PC, and mobile. And we would expect that as more great Star Wars films come out, we
would see more great engagement in Star Wars content more broadly -- again, not just in Battlefront, but in Star Wars: The Old Republic and our
mobile game, Galaxy of Heroes.

So after reading that. It is quite clear the first Battlefront was to focus on the OT timeline. It will seemingly build upon that in the future wether it be DLC or the sequel. It is not that hard to understand.

All they were saying, is while doing so, they have to make sure they adhere to the canon timeline. If the contract was for OT timeline only, they have to be careful not to add dead or not even born yet characters.

Obviously the game is going to bend a few rules with Jedi Luke on Hoth (which they patched, along with Han), that is not what the statement was referring to with "canon".

Arttemis

Fucking EA and their exclusivity contracts. The only good thing situation that I can see is that at least Ubisoft isn't ruining Star Wars. If Acitvision had the license, we'd probably get a Blizzard-made StarCraft of Star Wars, a stormtrooper CoD game, whatever else they crank out, and a most notably, they'd throw a project to Platinum.

I dream of Platinum getting a full budget to make a Star Wars game, and EA will probably never let that happen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Fucking EA and their exclusivity contracts. The only good thing situation that I can see is that at least Ubisoft isn't ruining Star Wars. If Acitvision had the license, we'd probably get a Blizzard-made StarCraft of Star Wars, a stormtrooper CoD game, whatever else they crank out, and a most notably, they'd throw a project to Platinum.

I dream of Platinum getting a full budget to make a Star Wars game, and EA will probably never let that happen.
Activision had the opportunity to get the license and didn't take it.

Disney cited the stature of developers EA was offering compared to their competitors as a factor as well so I really doubt Blizzard or Treyarch were up for consideration if they did make a bid.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Mock Lucas as much as you want, he gives people what they want.

Star Tours: The Adventure Continues at Disneyland has a scene on Hoth with AT-ATs, yet it takes place before the Rebel base is discovered.

https://www.mouseplanet.com/9904/Taking_a_Trip_on_Star_Tours

The more likely explanation is that Disney refused to trust EA with ANYTHING from the movie ahead of time, outside of the one planet, and post release, they'd rather put it all into the sequel for more money.

Disney didn't trust any outside party with anything and gave the barest of minimums of information to anyone.

For example, Fantasy Flight Games makes the X-Wing Miniatures Game (the OT on GAF is here!) and they got a new Core Set with Force Awakens X-Wings and TIE Fighters ready for the big merchandising push in September. Individual expansions of the new X-Wings and TIE Fighters came a couple months later. These all came with pilot cards to go with the models ... and there were only two named pilots out of 15 cards: Poe Dameron and Ello Asty (an alien pilot who
has like two lines of dialogue during the assault on Starkiller Base before getting blown away
so he's pretty inconsequential). Other pilots were named extremely generic things like "Red Ace," "Blue Ace," Epsilon Leader," "Omega Ace," etc. Lucasfilm couldn't even come up with some names for TIE Fighter pilots, or give FFG some more Resistance names like Jessica Pava. Pretty disappointing.

The toy manufacturers probably got the most info so the sculptors knew what to make and what all the characters' names were for the packaging.

Yeah I loved that scene when Vader was battling Luke Skywalker on Hoth then some scrub storm trooper stepped in and stole Vader's kill.

Plasma

Banned
It's a crap excuse really as they're either altering or adding stuff to the canon already in the game. There aren't large scale rebel vs imperial fights on Tatooine in the movies. Endor was a small scale fight between a handful of rebel soldiers, ewoks and an imperial garrison. Sullust is only mentioned in the films as a place that the rebels are located there's nothing to suggest there was a big battle there. Even looking at their upcoming DLC Jabba's Palace is going to be a map and Bespin neither of which had battles on the scale that take place in Battlefront.

I don't mind if they're not going to do it but don't hide behind canon as the reason.

JonCha

Makes no sense at all.

Battlefront should just be completely mental, fuck it put Revan, Malak and HK-47 in there.

Who cares like honestly.

Absolutely. Confining this game or the next to a particular 'era' is silly and means future content is quickly exhausted. By the time the fourth DLC pack of Battlefront comes out in 2017, who's going to be playing it?

Squire

Banned
You have to think about "breaking canon" as Lucas/Didney define it in their own terms, which we obviously don't have access to. I'm guessing there are guidelines they can follow, but they're not terribly hyper-sensitive given some of the stuff in Battlefront.

I do think one of those last DLC expansions for Battlefront is gonna have Rogue One content in it.

We can also infer from these comments Visceral's Star Wards game is more than likely going to be part of the new canon, which makes seeing as every new narrative thing they're doing right now is canon. Battlefront's campaign would've been canon, if it had one. The tie-in novel is (yes, there's a tie-in novel, 400 pages if you can believe that.)

CryptiK

They're not releasing a Star Wars game next year, hence why the season pass extends into 2017.
I doubt they will miss an opportunity to launch with the next movie. Just because the game is getting updates in 2017 doesnt mean it wont get a sequel.

I'm very confused on this, since the game already breaks canon, but whatever:

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...13DBCAF89D/EA-Transcript-2016-01-28T22_00.pdf

I mean... Boba Fett shouldn't be fighting on Jakku, since presumably he'd be dead. Moreover... it's a game about the fantasy of fighting in the Star Wars universe with well-known characters, that's what the whole marketing campaign was about. Not really a fan of this reasoning.

Battlefront's canon status has more to do with its assets than the specific players involved or how the battle unfolded. For instance, there was a battle on Jakku, those were the weapons available and used, that was the layout of the battlefield.

But when it comes to specific players and actions, no, Boba Fett didn't necessarily show up and catch Luke on fire. No, Rebels didn't win on Hoth.

Presumably if they added TFA content into Battlefront, it would be anachronistic one way or another. If they added First Order Trooper skins, suddenly they'd be a part of the battle of Endor. Even if you restricted First Order skins to TFA levels kind of like the snowtroopers on Hoth right now, you'd still end up with 30 year old weapons and other things that were no longer in use 30 years later. Either way it would end up mixing assets in a non-canon way.

So that's their reasoning. But don't think that because I'm explaining it that I'm agreeing with it. I don't give a fuck if I see a First Order Stormtrooper on Endor. And who gives a shit if someone uses an old EE-3 on Takodana. Darth Vader on Jakku is anachronistic, anyway. Keep your assets canon but who cares if we mix and match? I want to be a First Order Stormtrooper. I want to fly a special operations TIE fighter on Jakku.

I enjoy their commitment to a 'canon' experience, it keeps the game from getting into hokey territory with all kinds of poorly designed "new" vehicles and gimmicky shit like a lot of adaptations tend to do. But they take it too far.

thats how i roll

Report to my division at once.

You're a monster.

Top Bottom