• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Officially Announces Syndicate for Early 2012 [Staff Includes Bullfrog Employees]

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Isn't it great that we have people defending these practices?

So I guess you'd prefer it if every game became an FPS?

Outside of Fallout and Bioshock, I've only owned one fps this generation. That said, I've played tons of fun games across a wide variety of genres and platforms. I see more variety in games today than ever before. I see games like Flower, Braid, Limbo, Rock of Ages, Stacking, Angry Birds, Farmville, Viva Pinata, Little Ninjas, Civ 5, Minecraft, Demon Souls, etc
and see a vibrant industry offering an incredible variety of games, styles, and genres.

FPS games get made because people want to play them. That doesn't make them sheep or anything less than a real gamer. No form of gaming is more valid than another. Your attempts to label FPS fans only makes you look like an ass.

Don't like FPS games? Don't buy them. It's that simple.

Mlatador

Banned
Shed_a_Ninja said:
What would be the point of EA using the Syndicate name anyway?

To get people to download the older games if EA ever chooses to re-release them on Steam or whatever? That wouldn't make any sense, especially since the majority of FPS players hate all of the other genres. They'd be like "WTF is this shit" after downloading the old games.

They should have just called it "Generic First Person Shooter #4,692".

That's the best point I've read so far.

Now, they've got the name/franchise "syndicate" - so whose their target audience?

Teenager's around 15-16 haven't played the games and thus don't know what Syndicate is. So using it for the name "Syndicate" alone would be a total waste of an actually well known trademakr name for people in their mid-to late 20s.

That wouldn't be so smart.

So they clearly want to do something with the name.

Now, basically what they are doing is, still targeting the people who know what Syndicate is - so to speak "Syndicate fans"- BUT somehow think it would be a much better idea to sell them the game as a FPS, since they clearly have to be convinced that somehow those "Syndicate fans" have lost interest in isometric strategy action games in the last decade.

If that's true, then they are doing it right.

If not, then they are doing it fucking wrong, since they really think that people will buy it for the name alone - like Xcom.

Riding on nostalgic feelings without nostalgia (how's a FPS gonna recreate the same FEEL of a rather different game?) is gonna fail.

Either way, I'm not surporting this decision and therefore WON'T buy that game EVER - since I'm not a big FPS fan.

So the question is, for whom is this game and do they really think they can sell a FPS to Syndicate fans?

If they really manage to do that than A) either it was a success because a diffrent target audiance bought this game (Deus Ex fans for example) or B) Syndicate fans bought this game, proving you can make money with whatever shit you throw at them as long as you name it Syndicate.

If it's really B) then justice can't be severd in the gaming industry anymore.

If A) Why the fuck did they waste the name...

Shed_a_Ninja said:
And I won't. It doesn't mean reviving franchises into them isn't wrong.
As much as I would like to see X-Com brought back as a turn based strategy game the fact is 2K had no interest in doing so, just as EA has no interest bringing Syndicate back as a squad based RTS. These series being turned into FPS's in all likelihood wouldn't have changed that.

outunderthestars said:
Worked For Metroid and Fallout.....

Metroid Prime. It didn't stop them from making Fusion and Zero Mission afterward.

It's funny when it came to Fallout, though. The people who bought Fallout 3 and New Vegas didn't touch the previous games, at least people I know in real life. It's no different than people thinking Ocarina of Time is Zelda 1 (but Nintendo continues to make top-down Zeldas). That doesn't mean it's right.

2dv0h13.jpg

I got these three in the mail today from 3 separate sellers from eBay. I can't play the Super Nintendo one because I only have an NTSC system.

Top Bottom