• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More than 6.8 million people have paid for early access to EA Sports FC 24 | This represents a 25% increase over the early access period in FIFA 23

Electronic Arts has announced that EA Sports FC 24 is a highly successful debut and the name change has little interfered with sales of its latest football game, available in early access since September 22.

According to the Financial Times, EA Sports recorded more than 6.8 million players in EA Sports FC 24 between September 22 and 28, the early access period included in the Ultimate version, which costs more than 100 euros and includes other digital extras.
EA reveals that this represents a 25% increase over the early access period in FIFA 23 and rewards the efforts of the company that invested in partnerships with La Liga and Premier League, among others, and with several world-class players to ensure the authenticity of its digital football.
In addition, the Financial Times reveals that FIFA received more than 143 million euros per year for the license, but EA decided that it was time to save that money and that changing its name would not prevent it from licensing more than 700 teams, 19,000 players, 100 stadiums and 30 leagues.

The Silicon Valley-based games company, which recently ended its 30-year relationship with football's world governing body, said 6.8mn people had paid for pre-release access to EA Sports FC, the new name for what was previously called the Fifa video game series.

Last edited:

Kacho

FIFA in fucking tatters. Wow.

Also, something something "people are OUTRAGED over the microtransactions!"

Shut up, paypigs LMAO

Zok310

Banned
Good, greedy lil fucks. Wonder who they have lined up to make fifa now.
Reminds me of NWA kicking out their lyricist, dissing him and then tried to battle him😂😂😂
Like EA made the fifa games, what are you going to do now without them.

Last edited:
As confused or clueless people were/are with Wii-U and Xbox naming conventions, I would have thought some not insignificant portion would wait for FIFA2024, but people seem to be well aware that it's just labeled differently and buy anyway. This let's me also doubt even more that wii-u's problem was beyond some funny singular shop anecdotes actually its name at all.

DrFigs

As confused or clueless people were/are with Wii-U and Xbox naming conventions, I would have thought some not insignificant portion would wait for FIFA2024, but people seem to be well aware that it's just labeled differently and buy anyway. This let's me also doubt even more that wii-u's problem was beyond some funny singular shop anecdotes actually its name at all.
I just figured being associated with the fifa brand would have some prestige or free advertising, but it seems that people really don't care about the brand and they just like the sport. But it is interesting thought about the Wii U. I think it's not so much that the name didn't work (people are able to tell the difference between xbox one s and xbox seies s just fine), it's that the marketing focused specifically on the controller and that may have confused people.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Our boycott thread worked
Sport Win GIF by Pit Viper

SJRB

Gold Member
In fairness 150 mil is chump change considering how much money it brings in every year.

FIFA got fucked during the partnership and got double fucked now that they get nothing.

Amazing.

Catphish

Yeah, and from what I read on the EA forums, the early access launch was fucked again. Game wouldn’t launch for many people, just like last year, and there was a massive thread that may have been deleted. I couldn’t find it last time I looked.

I cancelled my Play Pro sub over that bullshit in FIFA 23 (and a similar issue with F1 22). I couldn’t believe they had the same shit happen two years in a row, and I’m even more incredulous that the fucking early access numbers actually went up.

People are stupid.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

No, I suspect your assumptions are spot on, and the impact on the casuals won't be seen for 9months. This is just the impact of a very expensive re-brand marketing campaign that Fifa 23 didn't have on the hardcore Fifa players, and a bit of projection to make it seem like Fifa made a huge mistake.

They could literally go see Konami tomorrow, get a game with the Fifa brand out on console, PC, tablet and smartphone by Christmas and be making more money from the license than what EA was prepared to pay.

The license was the prime example of "a license to print money".

Moneal

The Wii-U wasn't just a naming problem. People thought it was an optional accessory for the Wii. X-Box names were confusing for no reason. When you say Xbox one, do you mean the original Xbox or the Xbox One. It was dumb and confusing for normies that are used to a normal numbering system. You know when someone says PS one they mean the original Playstation. This doesn't have those problems. Its the new EA futbol game with the same numbering system as it has had for like 20 years. Hell half the people probably just call it FIFA24 anyway. The same thing would happen if EA dropped Madden for some reason. Everyone knows the Madden name, but its still just the new EA football game and everyone will look it up or ask around the time they expect it to come out and see the new name. Now Madden Next year might be a weird one, since they already had a Madden 25 to celebrate the 25th aniversery 10 years ago.

Zuzu

Sailors no longer need to go out to sea to hunt whales. They just need to offer early access and microtransactions and the whales harpoon themselves…

FIFA 23 and all European football games and graphics were plastered with EA FC ads since May.

SCB3

Good, greedy lil fucks. Wonder who they have lined up to make fifa now.
Reminds me of NWA kicking out their lyricist, dissing him and then tried to battle him😂😂😂
Like EA made the fifa games, what are you going to do now without them.
Konami?

I know EA and football games get this weird rep here, but remember a lot of people ONLY buy a console to play the latest fifa/FC game and thats all, same with Madden and NBA as well hence the high numbers

MrA

Banned
Well, that likely knocks out chunk of the physical drop,
Looks like fifa played themselves which is good
But EA continues to get rich off of mtx, which eh, don't care

xVodevil

Gotta love this in spite of all the whine tsunami that when comes a bare minimum remaster/remake of something and being called a disgusting ripoff :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Anyway fuck EA, I don't see much hope for them to come up with anything of value for this title..

HTK

Banned
Most people knew FIFA was dumb for trying to get more. Corrupt ass organization, wants more for nothing more than a logo. Good riddance!

FIFA can go shop around now and see if anyone is willing to take them on and invest all that money to go against EA who’s been making the game and being successful at it for a very long time.

Goalus

What?
Aren't the UK boxed sales 30% down?

I thought that the boxed sales are so important that we can simply extrapolate them to overall sales.

Kerotan

Most people knew FIFA was dumb for trying to get more. Corrupt ass organization, wants more for nothing more than a logo. Good riddance!

FIFA can go shop around now and see if anyone is willing to take them on and invest all that money to go against EA who’s been making the game and being successful at it for a very long time.
They should have been glad to get 150M. Whoever advise them for that decision has probably been slapped around and kicked out the front door.

Didn't they want something crazy like a billion or 500m? They should have asked for a much smaller increase like 250m or something.

Top Bottom