• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports FC 24 pulls in 11 million users during debut week

EA Sports FC 24 has reached a player account of 11.3 million globally since the week of its launch.

Meanwhile, EA Sports FC Mobile hit 11.2 million users ten days after its release.

Additionally, the mobile title was downloaded by 2.2 million players on the day of its launch.

"In addition to welcoming back millions of our longtime players, new players in FC 24 are up nearly 20% year over year, showing the excitement of football fans everywhere to join the Club," said EA Sports president Cam Weber.

"We are building the world's biggest football community through EA Sports FC, and we're just getting started."

Last week, EA Sports FC 24 was the UK's second-biggest retail launch of 2023.

Zheph

1ab21686d2791649d679fe1a76491209570cdf55.jpg

probably one of the worst and most corrupted president and a massive dumbass

Ronin_7

Banned
EA FC is proving to be even more popular than FIFA ever was 😂

11.3M, most probably sales no doubt in a single week is absolutely crazy.

MrA

Banned
How many sales?

2023 sold 10.3million week 1, considering the switch over to users from actual sales in the reporting, it is probably down from that *but* with fcFIFA out of the picture, ea wins and soccer gsme makes more money from packs so more fish more whales
so the less stupid won i guess

PaintTinJr

EA FC is proving to be even more popular than FIFA ever was 😂

11.3M, most probably sales no doubt in a single week is absolutely crazy.
Well until they post their financials in 12months to show that isn't the impact of spending 10x their yearly marketing budget - because they had an extra 150M to spend from not paying Fifa - we can't even call it as a zero sum game for them.

Wait until they aren't spending a rebranding budget on marketing and Fifa are endorsing a competitor before assuming this is the normal expected business situation.

Doing packs early to maximise FOMO impact will also be driving earlier sales for UT imo. So is it just a case of players buying in early or extra customers, no conclusion to be had on daily casual Fifa buyers like Grandma for little Johnny?

acm2000

Well until they post their financials in 12months to show that isn't the impact of spending 10x their yearly marketing budget - because they had an extra 150M to spend from not paying Fifa - we can't even call it as a zero sum game for them.

Wait until they aren't spending a rebranding budget on marketing and Fifa are endorsing a competitor before assuming this is the normal expected business situation.

Doing packs early to maximise FOMO impact will also be driving earlier sales for UT imo. So is it just a case of players buying in early or extra customers, no conclusion to be had on daily casual Fifa buyers like Grandma for little Johnny?
you have shares in FIFA? sell them now

PaintTinJr

Nothing to do with that, it's down to the game and it has zero competition.
It has superior product competition in eFootball(PES) by Konami, but has no marketing competition, given EA sponsor the officials' outfits in the Premier league and are still cross branding off the old Fifa marketing deal.

If Fifa put their logo on eFootball and konami sold it as a game on disc, you'd see instant sales for eFootball.

No actual sales? Looks like they are down year on year but building on a new brand after 30 years of FIFA it's still positive I guess. It would be interesting to know how much sales they lost in the process

No actual sales? Looks like they are down year on year but building on a new brand after 30 years of FIFA it's still positive I guess. It would be interesting to know how much sales they lost in the process
This is just a small part of the market for this sport franchise, but we have Spain's first week sales from installbase:
  • EA Sports FC 24 (ALL SKUs): 133.000
  • FIFA 23 (ALL SKUs): 144.000
  • FIFA 22 (ALL SKUs): 124.000
  • FIFA 21 (ALL SKUs): 127.000
  • FIFA 20 (ALL SKUs): 215.000
No digital data available, so these figures are for entries which were sold physically through retail.

In the UK the drop was a tad bigger, around 30% (again, for physical sales only).

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

FIFA must be fuming!

I can't believe I'm cheering for EA here 😄
In the short-term I'm cheering for Fifa, so I can eventually cheer-on a footy game development revival that includes EA.

As it stands, EA having cornered the market and access to all the other licenses, via the Fifa license, I really want Fifa to make a complete hash of choosing a competitor to replace EA's Fifa, but still do enough damage to EA FC to force gamers to actual become critical of the game first, licensing second, so that EA FC is forced to compete with Konami (for quality gameplay) and anyone else that wanted to start back in the footy game sports genre.

OneDrop_

Neo Member
It has superior product competition in eFootball(PES) by Konami, but has no marketing competition, given EA sponsor the officials' outfits in the Premier league and are still cross branding off the old Fifa marketing deal.

If Fifa put their logo on eFootball and konami sold it as a game on disc, you'd see instant sales for eFootball.
Efootball is trash. They destroyed Pro Evo about a decade ago now.

OneDrop_

Neo Member
In the short-term I'm cheering for Fifa, so I can eventually cheer-on a footy game development revival that includes EA.

As it stands, EA having cornered the market and access to all the other licenses, via the Fifa license, I really want Fifa to make a complete hash of choosing a competitor to replace EA's Fifa, but still do enough damage to EA FC to force gamers to actual become critical of the game first, licensing second, so that EA FC is forced to compete with Konami (for quality gameplay) and anyone else that wanted to start back in the footy game sports genre.
What we need is FIFA to link up with 2K sports. This is the dream scenario.

I think like everyone else this will still do well without the fifa name. The question is if it will sell less or not? I mean instead of selling 30 million copies, does it sell 25 instead? We won't know till next year and how long term sales do.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think like everyone else this will still do well without the fifa name. The question is if it will sell less or not? I mean instead of selling 30 million copies, does it sell 25 instead? We won't know till next year and how long term sales do.
Considering EA will save the licensing costs (which was what $300 million or something every year?), I think they will happily take the loss of ~5-7 fewer million copies sold.

PaintTinJr

Efootball is trash. They destroyed Pro Evo about a decade ago now.
It isn't trash. It is a GaaS, and that element of gaming is trash, I agree, but just like GT7 is great, eFootball is great too, when you ignore the GaaS presentation.

Against AI (the master league is still there as Dream team from my recent 40hrs played) and the VS matches are still just online PES.

I posted a goal from PES 2021 update in the "PlayStation had chance to buy license" thread, that clearly shows PES only ever got better, and with reassigned controls I can probably do a goal video from eFootball to show it is still mostly evolution there too. The face opponent option button really making aerial passing and tackling more skill based on success or failure, and possibly more expressive, and with all the rest of the normal PES engine still there, being the best footy engine going by a country mile.

How PES is delivered, packaged and marketed has been ruined, but anyone that was ever a credible PES player could easily be shown how their game still exists within eFootball, if it only took me 40hrs to override my dislike of eFootball's GaaS.

Ozriel

M$FT

This is a one off marketing blitz, and it’s unlikely they’re spending more than twice their usual marketing budget.
Word of mouth and a persistent fanbase is doing the heavy lifting.

FIFA endorsing the competition does nothing. There’s basically no competition as it stands, and it’ll take years for any viable alternative to come out…which will also struggle without the rights to player names etc

What we need is FIFA to link up with 2K sports. This is the dream scenario.

In the four years it would take them to make a soccer game from scratch, EA would have fully cemented the market.

SkylineRKR

So a competitor pays for the FIFA license, and then what? They would need to license clubs and competitions as well. Those are separate. All EA lost is the title screen, and the name on the box. Its fucking nothing.

FIFA is simply clueless, and overrated their brand. Its only a world cup happening every 4 years, thats been tarnished by heavy corruption anyway. I bet they are eyeing gaming investors from Middle East or China to use their brand.

PaintTinJr

This is a one off marketing blitz, and it’s unlikely they’re spending more than twice their usual marketing budget.
Word of mouth and a persistent fanbase is doing the heavy lifting.

FIFA endorsing the competition does nothing. There’s basically no competition as it stands, and it’ll take years for any viable alternative to come out…which will also struggle without the rights to player names etc

In the four years it would take them to make a soccer game from scratch, EA would have fully cemented the market.
You aren't being realistic if think the official FIFA name on any game in a shop or digital market place doesn't have major sway in casual sales in the much wider market that don't following gaming, even if it slapped on a 20year old Sensible soccer clone.

Three

Has Dring shown if sales were down first week vs Fifa 23? He usually does that for sequels. Would be a shame if he decided not to when it would be interesting to know if sales have declined due to the name change or not.

Ozriel

M$FT
You aren't being realistic if think the official FIFA name on any game in a shop or digital market place doesn't have major sway in casual sales in the much wider market that don't following gaming, even if it slapped on a 20year old Sensible soccer clone.

Even the casual market that doesn’t follow gaming still will have 100% been informed that the new ‘FIFA’ game is EA FC by the time FIFA gets their act in order, years from now.

I’m not sure why you’re spending much time worrying about an incredibly niche category of first time football game purchasers who have no friends, do no research and don’t follow anything about video games.

PaintTinJr

Even the casual market that doesn’t follow gaming still will have 100% been informed that the new ‘FIFA’ game is EA FC by the time FIFA gets their act in order, years from now.

I’m not sure why you’re spending much time worrying about an incredibly niche category of first time football game purchasers who have no friends, do no research and don’t follow anything about video games.
PES has always been a superior football game, and in the years I've encountered friends with footy mad kids that like to play Fifa, none of them, kids or parents have even heard of PES.

That super casual market that bring record +25M UK viewing figures to big England FIFA world cup games out number UK core + regular casual gamers at least 5 : 1, and EA's FIFA has been on top because of that phenomenon for decades. 11m users playing EA FC24 is nice in the first week, but lets see if the game remains in the top 1-5 games most months, all year round for the next 5years like would be expected of the official branded FIFA product.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Microsoft about to buy FIFA and launch FIFA 25 Xbox exclusive.
"X can make a football sim with FIFA branding" is one of the dumbest things I have heard in this forum. Its like saying just any publisher can chugg up anyy sports sim. It took so long for MS to find a studio that can make a new flight sim. This is why it took a while for 2K to polish up WWE without Yuke's.
Right now theres no way FIFA can pay some random studio to make a football sim and people will buy it over EA. The only other company that can make a decent football sim is actually Konami.
As I have said it before
Konami is the only dev that can make a competing football game, unless someone is already working on one for years and is able to surprise everyone. You can't just ignore decades worth of experience, slap the FIFA label on something worse than eFootball and expect it to compete against EA. It's the same with the NBA, NHL, MLB and WWE labels. Those labels make good publicity but the labels alone are not enough to sell your game. Though part of me wishes Sega never sold there Sports division to 2K and kept the fight with EA sports.
I still wish for Sega to buy the eFootball team if Konami gave up.
Some of these are worth a revisit.
EA Sports its in the name….. But the most important name is FIFA.

I think its gonna knock EA’s sales alot. The people who are dumb enough to buy FIFA every year won’t know what to look for lol.

I wonder if they are allowed player and club team licenses etc… if not its gonna get rough for EA.

As for PES and the other new football game, its gonna be the best time for them to release something semi decent to compete with EA’s football game

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

"X can make a football sim with FIFA branding" is one of the dumbest things I have heard in this forum. Its like saying just any publisher can chugg up anyy sports sim. It took so long for MS to find a studio that can make a new flight sim. This is why it took a while for 2K to polish up WWE without Yuke's.
Right now theres no way FIFA can pay some random studio to make a football sim and people will buy it over EA. The only other company that can make a decent football sim is actually Konami.
Club football, which is probably the origins of today's Fifa codebase took less than 2years to get to first release IIRC, and it would still pass muster with a brand , today IMO. UE has made the task infinitely easier, although UE1 was probably the source of ISS 98, assuming UE1 was also used for MGS1.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

That was 2003. Games are way harder to develop now. And EA owns Codemasters too.
Well Fifa still plays no better than club football with a bit of polish, and if that's what Codemasters could achieve back then with no 3D Blender to sub for £1500 3D studio max licenses, and no free use of UE until you make x revenue or x sales, if anything the bar has got lower. If Hello games decided to make a footy game tomorrow and using contract artists to hit player modelling numbers, they would have a game good enough within 2years, of that I'm confident, and so would many other footy mad game developers in the UK or across Europe.

EA have been trying to make a game better than PES for nearly three decades with all the development money and resources you could want, and still can't do it. Another dev team catching EA FC in gameplay to wear the Fifa brand won't be difficult IMO.

Kokoloko85

As I have said it before

I still wish for Sega to buy the eFootball team if Konami gave up.
Some of these are worth a revisit.

Yep I was totally wrong. Im surprised they had the brain capacity to find the game after the name change.
TBH I thought they would lose the player names and club names

Top Bottom