• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Respawn's Game Is A Sci-Fi Shooter, Battlefield/MoH On Alternating Schedule

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
twinturbo2 said:
I will bet cash money that the sci-fi shooter Respawn is working on will eventually be called System Shock III, or at the least feel very familiar to it.

noooooo, never.

They can't do this, they're making a "summer blockbuster" game.

demolitio

MoH looked pretty good at times on PC. A lot better than what people think at least...

MoH on Frostbite 2 will look amazing given how good it looked on UE3 with sharp textures. My only wish is that they fix the unbalanced MP and make people actually want to do the objectives instead of sit back and use the overpowered (then underpowered, then back to overpowered once the snipers bitched) sniper rifles and just pick people off in spawn.

They need to make the MP more than just a cheap bulletpoint made by a small team.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
'sci-fi shooter' is pretty vague. Killzone, Gears of War, Mass Effect and Halo are all in one way or another 'sci fi' and 'shooter'. With their previous work on MW in mind I'd be most interested in Respawn doing realistic sci-fi. Semi near-by, might-be-possible-one-day sci-fi is so much cooler then another space marines against the hogs/scaly things/greys or another Star Trek space opera setting.

Dennis

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
I will bet cash money that the sci-fi shooter Respawn is working on will eventually be called System Shock III, or at the least feel very familiar to it.
huh?

Why?

System Shock II was an RPG much more than it was a Sci-Fi shooter.

Rei_Toei said:
'sci-fi shooter' is pretty vague. Killzone, Gears of War, Mass Effect and Halo are all in one way or another 'sci fi' and 'shooter'. With their previous work on MW in mind I'd be most interested in Respawn doing realistic sci-fi. Semi near-by, might-be-possible-one-day sci-fi is so much cooler then another space marines against the hogs/scaly things/greys or another Star Trek space opera setting.

The rumors before the IW blow up was that they wanted to do a futuristic CoD.

IoCaster

That actually makes sense and sounds like a reasonable plan for managing the internal teams output while maximizing the sales potential of the externally developed properties.

I'm kind of stuck in a holding pattern on MoH with my playthrough. I've gotten up to the third or fourth mission I think, but my drive to continue is nonexistent at this time. I'm hoping that I can get motivated to finish the game sometime soon or at least before the next installment. :/

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
D2M15 said:
Nope. SS is safe in EA's end-of-Indiana-Jones-style vault, and the furthest thing imaginable from what Respawn want to do.
...or at the least feel very familiar to it.
They don't have to call it System Shock III if they don't want to, I'm just speculating.

twinturbo2 said:
They don't have to call it System Shock III if they don't want to, I'm just speculating.
Guys of West and Zampella's calibur (like them or not) get to make what they want to make, I have no doubt it'll be a 100% new IP.

So if Medal of Honor's on Frostbite 2.0 it'll probably have similar destruction to the BF series. Won't it be tough to differentiate between the two? One would have vehicles I guess...

coopolon

I'm kind of surprised at the MoH hate. I thought the single player was great. And it looked very good too. It was a pretty refreshing after the batshit insanity that was MW2.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
markot said:
I figured after the terribality of MOH they were gonna kill it off >.<

Didnt they say it would have to sell like 5 million to warrant a sequel?
MoH is very underrated and sold well.

Ass.

:(
<3 MoH, posts like these hurt my feelings. I'm sorry for the insult but you made me very emotional. D':

edit:
Mr. Snrub said:
BREAKING SCANDAL

How did two developers get the same gun into different games based upon modern conflicts?!?!
They aren't even the same guns. :lol

Same scope though.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Neuromancer said:
Guys of West and Zampella's calibur (like them or not) get to make what they want to make

Or else they'll try to sell their fully-owned company to a competitor! Badoom tish.

But serially folks, they want to make the 'Halo killer', purely because it's the kind of guys they are, and we can just hope that whoever loses, we win.

Heavy said:
So if Medal of Honor's on Frostbite 2.0 it'll probably have similar destruction to the BF series. Won't it be tough to differentiate between the two? One would have vehicles I guess...
One has beards, the other doesn't

CamHostage

Smart way of handling your franchises.

It's also hopefully beneficial to workers, since there might be less of that hurry-up-and-get-fired approach to staff management. Instead of having a downtime while the new game is being incepted, reducted staffers might be able to stay on and create assets for the opposite franchise. (It's still one game a year, but I think you'd have less turn-over and more overlap this way, not always stopping and starting again?)

DennisK4 said:
Nothing bad about MoH.

It was a great game and it sold great.

Very happy to hear its fully on Frostbite 2 now.

The next MoH will be amazing if they can fix the few issues with the first game.

No, it was actually pretty terrible.

The game's stubborn adherence to "realism" and "authenticity" made it an absolute bore to play and only served to break the illusion when "gamey" moments occurred. You fight nearly endless streams of enemies (who have no regard for cover), struggle with performing even the most basic actions (I can't tell you how many times I've shot an enemy in the head and the game doesn't even acknowledge it), and are expected to be wowed by setpieces found in games released years earlier (an AC-130? Really? Did these guys ever play COD4?)

It was such a stunningly by-the-numbers game, strange considering how desperate it was to set itself apart in the crowded FPS genre. The game was an utter mess, conflicted and schizophrenic to the utmost degree, and filled to the brim with tired shooter conventions. I can't possibly understand how anyone could enjoy the game, let alone wish for a sequel.

I guess I just have higher standards than most people.

coopolon

Jack Scofield said:

The game's stubborn adherence to "realism" and "authenticity" made it an absolute bore to play and only served to break the illusion when "gamey" moments occurred. You fight nearly endless streams of enemies (who have no regard for cover), struggle with performing even the most basic actions (I can't tell you how many times I've shot an enemy in the head and the game doesn't even acknowledge it), and are expected to be wowed by setpieces found in games released years earlier (an AC-130? Really? Did these guys ever play COD4?)

It was such a stunningly by-the-numbers game, strange considering how desperate it was to set itself apart in the crowded FPS genre. The game was an utter mess, conflicted and schizophrenic to the utmost degree, and filled to the brim with tired shooter conventions. I can't possibly understand how anyone could enjoy the game, let alone wish for a sequel.

I enjoyed the game because it was a popcorn shooter based in a real world conflict. There were some pretty thrilling moments (like the level where you are in a burned out hut facing a hill with Taliban constantly getting closer and closer) that I enjoyed. The mechanics were completely competent (I played it on PC earlier this year, maybe the mechanical problems you experienced were patched out by then).

I think your criticism about realism is off base. It's not ArmA. If they are going to be realistic about the number of enemies, the game would take half an hour because there's only like 50 Taliban in the entire country and it takes one shot to kill them. Unless it also only takes one shot to kill you, in which case then you have to worry about tactics, in which case it's no longer in the same genre anymore.

I enjoyed the game (and CoD, Battlefield Bad Company, etc.) the same way I enjoy summer blockbusters. They aren't my Goty's, they aren't inspiring, they are just fun. It scratched my Tom Clancy itch quite well.

Edit: Thinking more about your realism critique, I find it more and more wrong.

Did the endless streams of enemies bother you about the World War 2 CoD's and MoH? Especially MoH Airborne. They're all based on real world conflicts, often based on real world units.

JCreasy said:
Wait, should I go back and play MoH? I totally ignored that game last year . . .

If you enjoy CoD, MoH type SP campaigns, it is absolutely worth $10 to $15 in my opinion. If you're tired of the genre, your money is better spent elsewhere.

Corto

JCreasy said:
Wait, should I go back and play MoH? I totally ignored that game last year . . .

I bought it in a recent steam sale and couldn't stop playing the campaign until I finished it... Fun ride all along.

JCreasy said:
If you like good, but short, single player campaigns, absolutely. I think this game clocks in at just over 5 hours, going by memory.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Neuromancer said:
Guys of West and Zampella's calibur (like them or not) get to make what they want to make, I have no doubt it'll be a 100% new IP.
Whatever it is, I want to see it in action, and I'm very certain that it'll sell millions.

(I have this idea in my head for a System Shock-esque sci-fi game, come to think of it. And because this is the Internet, I'm not going any farther because I don't want anyone to steal my idea and because I haven't written out the story yet. But it's in my head, and if the System Shock games show up on GOG, I might as well replay the games and get inspired.)

JCreasy said:
Basically, it's very much a MW-style corridor shooter gaming experience, only based in a much more realistic setting than any of the MW games.

It also features the most realistic portrayal of JSOC SMUs (Delta Force and SEAL Team Six) in a video game by a wide margin, if that makes a difference. Almost surprised EA didn't re-release the game with a new commercial about a month back.

I thought it was cool and have high hopes for the next one.

woober

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Airborne was such a superior game. It's my hope that they'd return to WW2 or another time frame like Vietnam because EA doesn't need two modern shooters.

I think that would be a great way of going about differentiating their franchise. Battlefield will be the modern shooter while MOH goes back in time.

I really want to see how Respawn's game is going to look.

Honestly, I don't really like sci-fi FPS that much. It's probably a good thing they're getting away from modern combat, but whether it will appeal to me is another matter. I love what they did with CoD, so I'll have faith until I see it!

Nizz

Anything the Respawn guys are up to I'm all ears. Can't wait to see what they have in store. I don't play many sci-fi themed shooters. Probably the most recent one would be Crysis 2. I wonder if it'll be full on futuristic weapons or still have weapons that use traditional ammunition?

Good news on MoH being fully on Frostbite 2. One of the most jarring things to me was the different engines used in MoH. Felt disconnected to me. Plus they felt/played differently too. I liked how the MP felt like a lighter, sped up Bad Company but didn't really dig the heavier feeling in SP imo.

Now it'll feel more like a complete package instead of two games in one box like the first one felt. Maybe Danger Close were being trained on the Frostbite 2 engine a little while after MoH shipped. Their lack of knowledge with Frostbite 1 is why they didn't use it for SP no?

Heysoos

If they're going to do more MoH games, let the team try their hands at the multiplayer. I feel like DICE kinda half assed the mp for MoH.

Never making the mistake of buying a Medal of Honor game again unless I see it new in a bargain bin somewhere for $10.

The SP was good, although you had to fight through a lot of terrible enemy AI, terrible team AI, infinitely respawning enemies, and a lot of glitches in order to experience it. Plus like 4.5 hours long.

The MP was a butchered mess, controlled like ass, launched with next to no content and then they put out paid DLC like 2 weeks later. Screw those guys.

Mooreberg

I'm not sure you just "sprinkle in" a game by the people that created Call of Duty, but either way it is good that they are trying something new. Hopefully it is more a near future sci-fi rather than aliens trying to kill everyone on earth.

BobsRevenge

Jack Scofield said:

Different tastes it sounds more like. MoH was one hell of an experience for me. I enjoyed it much more than the Modern Warfare games. As a cinematic experience MoH is one of my all time favorites in any genre. I can play the game and beat it in 4 hours (one sitting) and come out with the sort of feeling that follows a good action movie. I've done it a few times. The drama, action, plot... its all there. The game is always fun to play as well; the pacing was fantastic.

And the game was far more beautiful than the CoD series as well. The art direction was very well informed imo. Realistic with a special attention paid to natural lighting.

edit:
It scratched my Tom Clancy itch quite well.
The game actually struck me as very un-Tom Clancy, which is why I think I found it so appealing. MW and MW2 are probably the most Tom Clancy-esque games ever. MoH is much more akin to something like Black Hawk Down. Some of the characters were actually based on real people. Intense.

Bumblebeetuna said:
Never making the mistake of buying a Medal of Honor game again unless I see it new in a bargain bin somewhere for $10.

The SP was good, although you had to fight through a lot of terrible enemy AI, terrible team AI, infinitely respawning enemies, and a lot of glitches in order to experience it. Plus like 4.5 hours long.

The MP was a butchered mess, controlled like ass, launched with next to no content and then they put out paid DLC like 2 weeks later. Screw those guys.
Outside of one or two scenes, I don't recall infinitely respawning enemies in MoH.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I really want to see how Respawn's game is going to look.

Honestly, I don't really like sci-fi FPS that much. It's probably a good thing they're getting away from modern combat, but whether it will appeal to me is another matter. I love what they did with CoD, so I'll have faith until I see it!
Huh, I thought you liked Crysis 2 though.

BobsRevenge

Honestly, who gives a shit about sub-genre? If a game is good its fucking good. If a sub-genre gets tired its because the bar is set higher and people release mediocre games in it anyways. I got tired of the WW2 sub-genre, I suppose, but MoH: Airborne was still a fucking amazing game.

As far as I'm concerned, feeling tired of a sub-genre is something of a false-experience. It makes sense when you think it, but then something like Company of Heroes comes along and makes you not give a shit. Because its awesome.

In the end, if a game is good, its fucking good, regardless of time period or whatever. Marketing it is a different story.

edit:
Neuromancer said:
If you like good, but short, single player campaigns, absolutely. I think this game clocks in at just over 5 hours, going by memory.
Game is 4 to 6 hours long, I guess. I beat it in 4 and a half hours my first time, iirc. But I beat FPSs fast. I beat Killzone 2 my first time in about the same amount of time.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Too much overlap. Should only have BF and whatever that sci-fi shooter Respawn is making.

Dipswitch

Good news about MOH and the Frostbite 2 engine. Next game should look pisser, not that the last one was any slouch in that dept.

BobsRevenge

Dipswitch said:
Good news about MOH and the Frostbite 2 engine. Next game should look pisser, not that the last one was any slouch in that dept.
Definitely, though tbh, the UE3 single player looked better than the FB multi player. Sounded better too.

But FB2's engine is clearly something else entirely. BF3's graphics seem unsurpassed.

teaser pic from their official site,

MUuae.jpg

wondermega

VG247 said:
According to Gibeau: “In general we’re going to continue to follow our rotation strategy of giving studios a full two-year cycle to get a game built and polished to maximum quality, but we’re going to do it in a way that allows us to maximize technology investments like Frostbite 2, the online service models that we’re doing… we’re going to be able to trade team knowledge and increase the quality of the products year in, year out,” he said.

Two years is enough these days? Are you kidding me?

Top Bottom