• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA turning all of its brands into "online universes"

Bowdz

2x06-Afternoon-Delight-Animated-gif-Michael-What-No-no-no-no-arrested-development-7915781-300-167.gif

Orca

because that helps when you back to using a controller

seriously, who came up with this nonsense?

So it provides you experience points you can spend to improve your character...

Seriously, it's like some of you are just trying to downplay this because it's EA, not because you think it's a bad idea.

Emitan

EA turning all of its brands unplayable in two years

If some other company would clone Burnout 3 I could just stop caring about EA but no one wants my money.

RSLAEV

lol in the future you won't own shit, you'll just pay to license play time as long as you have the money and as long as EA feels the game is profitable enough to keep online.

I'll believe this is a good idea when EA doesn't shut down the ME3 servers in three years.

What's worst is that they took Bioware down with them. They turned the once so pure developer into a dark creature that devours money :(

I'm sorry, I got news for you: BioWare always wanted to be Rock Stars. If anyone is to blame for "ruining whatever", it's them.

Do they not release we have lives, work, families, OTHER HOBBIES we don't need to be playing games all the time.

Um, you do know that this is their job, right?

Also: good job moving all the blame off of you and on to the people that make the things you use.

So good luck getting origins fans back on board with dragon age 3 after you announce its multiplayer.

Hopefully they won't reuse multi player content to pad out a rushed campaign like they did with ME3.

Bgamer90

Banned
Like how? Unless you are talking about Vita specific capabilities or some Wii/U to 3DS crossplat stuff then this would not be happening. Any sort of on the go features would probably detract from the focus going directly into the single player anyways.

Well for sports games, ones may be able to control their offline franchises on the go with iOS devices/smartphones.

In terms of single player, ones may be able to earn stats for players in single player game modes through mini games played on other devices or possibly even interact (talk) to other in game characters.

For a fee. Per Device. Possibly per month.

You will be paying a separate price for each device you are using this on.

By very, very likely charging you more for it. Makes business sense, but in reality it's just another reason for a big pub to charge premium dollars for something, not offering the gamer real value.

And you all know this how?

EA can never do anything new to their games without it being a blatant way to get gamers to spend more money?

Did you guys think that the Autolog/Ridernet systems would cost gamers extra $ to use when they were first announced?

Sure, I can play my MLB The Show season on the go. $60 for the game, $50 for the Vita version, $250 for a Vita. Thats a $110 outlay for the chance to take my game with me. They arent letting me spend $60 and then just allowing me to load it onto whatever I want and play.

Yes, this means that you will more than likely be able to interact with the console version of the game if you have the version of it on the Vita as well.

For smartphones/iOS devices though, I can see there being free apps that will let you interact with the game while you are away from your console. There are already free apps for Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010) and SSX that lets you view online stats on your device. The next step (as stated by soulton) will be to let what you do on the device tie in to the experience you have when playing the game on your game console.

They took down Tetris on the iOS and replaced it with a subscription model. EA will do anything they want and I blame sports gamers for taking us down this path.

lol, so sports gamers are the ones to blame for the subscription model being more popular? Please.

Unfortunately it seems like all of these games that try to shoehorn in a multi-player end up costing the team development dollars that would have gone into making a better single player: See ME3 and Dead Space 2 and many more. I'm not going to waste my time with a throwaway mutli-player, and if the single player is sub par then the game isn't a "keeper" Games like Portal 2 and Skyrim are keepers. Mass Effect 3, Crysis 2, and Dead Space 2 are not.

Glass Rebel

Unfortunately it seems like all of these games that try to shoehorn in a multi-player end up costing the team development dollars that would have gone into making a better single player: See ME3 and Dead Space 2 and many more. I'm not going to waste my time with a throwaway mutli-player, and if the single player is sub par then the game isn't a "keeper" Games like Portal 2 and Skyrim are keepers. Mass Effect 3, Crysis 2, and Dead Space 2 are not.

On Steam everything is a keeper :(

Burai

shitonmychest57
So it provides you experience points you can spend to improve your character...

Seriously, it's like some of you are just trying to downplay this because it's EA, not because you think it's a bad idea.

That's because EA always find some way to take a great idea and turn it into a half-assed, poisonous money-grab.

Pachael

That model of 'playing with the game/universe wherever you go' is reasonable for F2P, and good for the mainstream titles stuff like the Simpsons or the Sims, but nothing else :/

Glass Rebel

Perhaps there is hope for a sequel to Mirror's E- *gets shot*

Ramsdale used Mirror's Edge by way of an example. "Imagine a player gets up in the morning, plays an small sequence on his 360 before going to work," he said. "On the bus, on his way to work, he massages Faith's thighs his tablet and share's his scores on Facebook. At lunch he looks at our new dynamic world features on his PC on EA's new RunnerNet webplatform and reads in-game messages from other runners. On the way home he chooses Faith's gear, appearance, you call it, on his smartphone with the new Mirror's Edge RunnerPad companion app."

"Here's the thing: when he gets home to play again on his 360 that evening, all those achievements and upgrades will be alive in his game."

Mr_Zombie

This is already happening. Look at any game that has an app associated with it.

This is just taking the next step of allowing inputs rather than limiting you to viewing static output from the game.

It might be a good idea, but I'm worried that:
a) devs will be forced to do apps for every game and the result will be phoned in games; it's like a motion controls in Wii games - sometimes it makes sense and is done really good, sometimes you can clearly see that it was added just for the sake of it;
b) games (console/PC version) will have content that can only be be unlocked through the "online universe"; Mass Effect 2 already has one mission that is available to you if you played the iOS game (it was a small and unimportant mission, but still), Dragon Age: Origin has items that you receive only if you played Dragon Age: Journey (or however that flash game was called), and in Mass Effect 3 it's nearly impossible to get the best ending if you stay away from MP.

Mr_Zombie

They took down Tetris on the iOS and replaced it with a subscription model. EA will do anything they want and I blame sports gamers for taking us down this path.

A subscription in Tetris? How does that even work? You can't get the long block unless you pay the fee? :lol

Kazzy

Something something server shutdown.

when-you-tell-a-great-joke-and-everyone-laughs.gif

Seriously though, the server shutdown policy is one of the most egregious things to come out of this generation. As unfortunate as it is for games like Demon Souls to be losing their online connectivity, its at least understandable, for a company like EA though it just points to their need to monetize everything.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm sorry, I got news for you: BioWare always wanted to be Rock Stars. If anyone is to blame for "ruining whatever", it's them.

Yeah but EA was that creepy manager that got them hooked on all sorts of drugs and enabled all their shitty behavior and addictions.

Metaphorically speaking of course. Who knows though, maybe Bioware has actual coke parties sometimes. With their recent game writing quality one has to wonder.

I know there are things EA can think up that I can't, but one thing I'm definitely expecting is things for the core game getting locked behind requirements of performing various tasks in these spinoff apps.
So if I'm understanding something right, this doesn't really change anything, it's just an introduction of cross-platform tech.

Why are people getting scared of this again?
How is this bad? I hate online passes and EA's habit of shutting down game servers but this bit of news doesn't sound that bad to me. It actually sounds pretty cool.
If it's not bad already it's probably just a matter of time. EA has been extremely clear regarding where they want things to go. It is very difficult to view anything they're doing as anything else but another brick in their stairway to hell. EA has absolutely earned the scorn, skepticism and scrutinization.
Huh, I thought this was a good idea.

It's a shame everyone hates EA so much..
It's a shame they continually supply reasons to hate them.

On a related sidenote, this is a reason why I do not trust EA with internet related things.
TXAJo.jpg

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Well, EA would like to turn games into universes, so they can destroy them to preserve them or something.

Top Bottom