• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Was Reportedly In The Mix For Activision Blizzard Deal

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't think you know how horrible of a deal this sounds, lol.

Two heel companies coming together to continue to kill the gaming industry. Good Lord, what a disaster that would've been. I think Microsoft is gonna eventually kill them, but the death should be slower compared to merging with EA.

This. Activistion with EA, would have been a pure disaster.

Deerock71

Hmmm. About the only way they could've been seriously in that mix is if Microsoft bought a 100 billion dollar blender and asked the world if Actblizz and EA blend.
oj simpson night GIF

yurinka

Only reason activision went to those other companies was to drive up the price and start a bidding war. I wouldnt be surprised if more news comes out that they also went to google,amazon,etc
I assume Kotick wanted to have a golden retirement so wanted to sell it, so made a tour to see who was interested on it and who was the biggest bidder. If he called FB and EA to see if they wanted it instead of selling it to MS, pretty likely he also did call Tencent, Take 2, Amazon and Google.

We know FB and EA weren't interested on it, but if MS paid 30% more than it was worth I assume there was mininum another interested one. I'd bet Take 2 wasn't interested, and it would have been a merger so wouldn't have raised the bid. I bet the other one interested was Tencent or Amazon.

But Phil decided to pay a premium to reevaluate their relationship with Kotick, maybe even after trying to lower the price by leaking the issues at ABK and raising the flames via their friend J. Shredder and similar who welcomed any clickbait and virtue signaling.

No one has the wallet that Microsoft has.
If interested on it Tencent, FB, Amazon, Apple, Google or even some else could have paid $70B. Or slightly less, because MS paid an extra 30%. Or people like EA, Take 2, Ubi, Embracer etc could have been merged with them.

But unlike MS, at least EA and FB weren't interested on them.

Last edited:
Google has already shut down their own studios. They're bound to give up completely any time now.
Despite the Stadia debacle I don't think we can count Google out of this market completely. Like the other heavyweights poking around and thinking of entering/creating the so called "Metaverse" space, they have massive resources and could become a major competitor in gaming/entertainment even after Stadia is dead and buried.

I'm just thankful Tencent didn't buy ActiBlizz. I have a hunch they were in the mix as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom