• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthbound fan box set on Kickstarter

Haines

Banned
I finally started my first play through of earthbound last couple nights and can't believe Nintendo let this franchise die at that.

Only a couple hours in and just wow. SNES gaming at its very best.

Good for them. The Mother 3 Handbook is excellent, and I really appreciate their fervor over nearly two decades of doing these projects. I wonder if any other classic game could amass this much dedication...

PBalfredo

Starmen.net was my home during my teenage years, so once I get my next paycheck I'm in for EarthBound, USA. Everything else is a much appreciated extra.

Dammit, as if I didn't spend enough money this *month.

Guess I may as well settle for the digital edition...

*Edit: Oh, lol. Goes to show how much I know about Kickstarter. I'd like the backpack set, but I can only afford the cheapest physical set at the moment. Ahahaha.

Psxphile

During dark times I begrudgingly sold my Earthbound Player's Guide (among other things from my young gamer days) for enough scratch to make it to the next month. Years later and on more solid financial ground, you better believe I'm going to get me a copy of this!

EDIT: really wanted that backpack... but not that badly lol. Pledged 128 bucks for the hardcover.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If the Handbook is anything like the one for Mother 3, this might be the first Kickstarter I ever back. I got the hard cover version and its spectacular.

I'm pretty sure the Mother IP is owned by a bunch of fansites or something.

???

HAL still owns it the last time I checked. You know, there's a reason starman.net and the other fan sites all clamor to Shigesato Itoi for more Mother.

Anywho, the prices are too high for me. I want the backpack. I want it all!

If there was a tier to go hang out with Shigesato Itoi, I think my fanboy love will make me take out a loan. I'm really glad that isn't a tier prize.

Dremark

Banned
Is this a parody of some famous GAF post or what?

I think it's probably backlash toward Nintendo for not pushing the series harder in the US (Feel free to clarify if I'm wrong though). Seeing all the marketing the did for the game they actually brought over (And how bad it was) makes me honestly feel it was better to leave the other games in Japan if that was the approach they were going to take with it.

???

HAL still owns it the last time I checked.

I think Nintendo owns it and it was developed by APE. I don't think HAL is in the mix there but I could very well be wrong.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I want to throw $128 at them. Actually I'd rather throw $256, but damn. $128 would be enough for the good stuff. Though that backpack... No. No. I can't do it! $128 will be the most if I do. Otherwise I'll just wait for it all to be released to the store.

But that backpack! It would look so good....

I think Nintendo owns it and it was developed by APE. I don't think HAL is in the mix there but I could very well be wrong.

AFAIR, APE no longer exists. They were replaced by Creatures Inc.

Whether that means APE sold the rights to Mother to HAL or to Nintendo, it's not clear. HAL was involved in Mother 3 so I think they share rights with Nintendo or something Like that

Arkage

Banned
I backed the $128 tier due to hardcover to match the Mother 3 hardcover I have from them. Love their guides. Though the pricing could be better than the 16/32/64/128/256 etc price leveling.

I backed the $128 tier due to hardcover to match the Mother 3 hardcover I have from them. Love their guides. Though the pricing could be better than the 16/32/64/128/256 etc price leveling.

Computer science/engineering people have a hard on for powers of two.

The early tiers are relevant because it's a kickstarter. In the vast majority of successful video game-related kickstarters, the most popular tier for both number of pledges & overall funding raised is somewhere between $10-$25 (with $15 being most common). By only catering to diehard fans who are willing to spend much more than that, it becomes very difficult to get that early momentum that convinces people that the kickstarter is going to be a success.

Target reached in about 24 hours ;)

Minions

Oh snap! Mother 3 Handbook will be reprinted at $175K. I wish there was an option to add it to your Kickstarter order.

wrowa

Right now, more people are pledging for the 256$ tier than for the 64$ tier. I really think that tells a lot about how passionate Earthbound fans are.

Kangi

Right now, more people are pledging for the 256$ tier than for the 64$ tier. I really think that tells a lot about how passionate Earthbound fans are.

And just how willing they are to throw money at things.

At least someone's capitalizing on that.

Peagles

Went for $128, but I really want to upgrade to $256. Would have to pledge $276 though to ship it here. Might do some creative accounting and see what I can come up with before the end date.

The Boat

I love my Mother 3 handbook and I would love to get this, especially since I'm playing Earthbound right now for the first time (started the game a million times, plan to finish it this time), but it's too much money for me at the moment. Love fangamer though.

PKrockin

Will have to check this out later, but hot damn @ the ratio of people who pledged $128+ versus less than $128. EB fans ain't no joke.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
100k BOOM!

Backpack looks amazing, but it might not even be the real thing. Tempted otherwise, but not sure if it's worth an extra $100 plus bucks.

Drago

Oh damn, was reading the project updates and it says that the Mother 3 Handbook will get a reprint (and will be sold separately on Fangamer) if the project passes $175K!

Definitely gonna back it now.

udivision

Heh, sorry guys, I was just making fun of the fact that every time Earthbound/Mother comes up it's always "Look at this cool thing the fans are doing!" and not really anything about Nintendo.

Minions

Oh damn, was reading the project updates and it says that the Mother 3 Handbook will get a reprint (and will be sold separately on Fangamer) if the project passes $175K!

Definitely gonna back it now.

It slowed down a ton since the first 100k. I hope we can hit 175k as I missed the first couple printings of Mother 3 book. I hope they do hard cover copies and don't just do softcovers...

Top Bottom