• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EB employees: Are you pissed about the termination of Spiff?

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
With the looming of the completion of the EB/Gamestop merger in the next couple of months, one of the things EB axed was the commission received from the selling of ESAs, GPGs, and the like (since Gamestop doesn't offer GPGs to their customers). The last day to gain any Spiff is September 17th.

Instead of the extra money that would have gone in your pockets, it's been rumored that the money earned through ESAs, GPGs, and such will now go towards store/trade-in credit which you employees can use.

So, are you guys pissed off at this move? Or will you keep selling those things just to earn credit? Or will you not bother all together and just let your UPTs tank and bring down your sales performance, thus bringing your individual's store ranking into the crapper? :p

bill0527

I don't work at EB, but I do understand what you're going through because I've worked retail sales jobs years ago where I would get a spiff plus commission for every extended warranty or other store service that I sold.

You're really in a catch-22.

Sell it - you get nothing.

Don't sell it - store manager and sales personnel get fired when store profitability tanks.

ManaByte

Gold Member
bill0527 said:
Don't sell it - store manager and sales personnel get fired when store profitability tanks.

Don't know how it works at EB, but if someone doesn't push the system bundles they get axed. The Gamestop across the street from me fired their manager and assistant manager because they didn't force people into a strict PSP bundle. As long as you bought two or three games OF YOUR CHOICE, they didn't mind. Apparently the home office was pissed that they didn't force people to buy the games of Gamestop's choice, so they axed them. Now they have someone there who is always so stoned he can barely work the register.

svenuce

office was pissed that they didn't force people to buy the games of Gamestop's choice

That's partially because hardware allocations are tied in part to the amount of first party software bought by the retailer/sold to consumers. Allowing people to choose third party software, doesn't help move all of that first party software that the retailer was forced to take to get that extra 15K units of hardware.

Here, have another helping of Fantavision!

EB Guy

Burger King viral marketer
Kumiko Nikaido said:
With the looming of the completion of the EB/Gamestop merger in the next couple of months, one of the things EB axed was the commission received from the selling of ESAs, GPGs, and the like (since Gamestop doesn't offer GPGs to their customers). The last day to gain any Spiff is September 17th.

dude, the spiff only ends on new stuff, any pre-played systems you sell with an ESA, you still get the spiff. any pp game you sell with a gpg, you get the spiff.

Kumiko Nikaido said:
Instead of the extra money that would have gone in your pockets, it's been rumored that the money earned through ESAs, GPGs, and such will now go towards store/trade-in credit which you employees can use.

this is not true at all.

Kumiko Nikaido said:
So, are you guys pissed off at this move? Or will you keep selling those things just to earn credit? Or will you not bother all together and just let your UPTs tank and bring down your sales performance, thus bringing your individual's store ranking into the crapper? :p

I'm a store manager so this won't affect me much as I get a bonus from the stores performance, so I decided to give my trade in bonus at the end of the year to my other employees. ($2500) so If they want this money, they'll keep selling.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Just leave Gamestop/EB

Things are only going to get worse as time goes on and the merger goes through.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
EB Guy said:
dude, the spiff only ends on new stuff, any pre-played systems you sell with an ESA, you still get the spiff. any pp game you sell with a gpg, you get the spiff.

I'm a store manager so this won't affect me much as I get a bonus from the stores performance, so I decided to give my trade in bonus at the end of the year to my other employees. ($2500) so If they want this money, they'll keep selling.

Well, I heard all this stuff from the grapevine. Thanks for the corrections. :)

maynerd

Banned
EB Guy said:

this is not true at all.

I'm curious how much does a store manager make in salary, bonus and spiff stuff?

maynerd said:
I'm curious how much does a store manager make in salary, bonus and spiff stuff?

My store manager at gamestop (im the asst) has been working for the company since 1990 when he was part of babbages.. he is the longest running store manager in the whole corporation of gamestop.. he gets paid more then the DM does :lol

maynerd

Banned
PezRadar said:
My store manager at gamestop (im the asst) has been working for the company since 1990 when he was part of babbages.. he is the longest running store manager in the whole corporation of gamestop.. he gets paid more then the DM does :lol

Ok that means nothing to me. What is the average manager compensation?

EB Guy

maynerd said:
managers salary varies from store to store, it depends on how busy the store is, but I would estimate that you can pull in over 50,000 after bonuses and such.

EB Guy

Hellraizah said:
EB Guy, are you a canadian manager ? Were you at the vendor show ?
no, I work in New Jersey. The vendor show is 9/25-9/28 for the US. So you had yours? What did you get from the vendors?

Top Bottom