• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 170 scores (Zelda, Gears of Ware, FFXII etc.)

rod

Banned
Culex said:
Eh? They're not even the same genre! How can you compare them?

well, for starters ff12 is boring, and gears of war is so ****ing fun. hopefully ff13 will be a fun ff again, like i know the series is.

rod said:
well, for starters ff12 is boring, and gears of war is so ****ing fun. hopefully ff13 will be a fun ff again, like i know the series is.

well for starters thats an opinion...and I think a very poor one at that

rod

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
well for starters thats an opinion...and I think a very poor one at that

has anyone besides edge given ff12 a higher score than gears? this place is full of matsuno fanboys so im just asking to get flamed here. but whatever. il say it. ff10, while also not that good, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ff12.

psy18

rod said:
has anyone besides edge given ff12 a higher score than gears? this place is full of matsuno fanboys so im just asking to get flamed here. but whatever. il say it. ff10, while also not that good, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ff12.

You and me are absolutely not on the same side (FF)

rod

Banned
psy18 said:
You and me are absolutely not on the same side (FF)

ff5/ff6 are so much better than ff12 its ridiculous :lol im honestly shocked how many people liked ff12. it shouldve been called something different. not ff. thats probably my main problem with it. felt like a war story with not enough final fantasy to it :)

Amir0x

Banned
rod said:
ff5/ff6 are so much better than ff12 its ridiculous :lol im honestly shocked how many people liked ff12. it shouldve been called something different. not ff. thats probably my main problem with it. felt like a war story with not enough final fantasy to it :)

confirmed: rod wants nancy emo teens in his FF game

Right, i just flicked through the edge review

"whats lacking is a clear sense of purpose that OOT was tasked with bringing the series into 3D, and in doing so laid out the mechanic that future games would be foolish to ignore. Controller aside with nothing pertinent in need of innovation, TTP has instead set out to become the definitive title in the series. A one game encyclopedia of everything that makes Zelda unique."

rod

Banned
balfag has nothing, NOTHING on kefka. but whatever dude, you were like "ZOMG I WANNA BLOW MATSUNO HE IS A GOD <3<3<3" everytime ff12 was mentioned so its pretty much confirmed you loved it before it even came out.

basch was cool.

psy18

rod said:

Well, we're on the same side with 6.

Amir0x

Banned
rod said:
balfag has nothing, NOTHING on kefka. but whatever dude, you were like "ZOMG I WANNA BLOW MATSUNO HE IS A GOD <3<3<3" everytime ff12 was mentioned so its pretty much confirmed you loved it before it even came out.

basch was cool.

first, why would you compare Balthier to kefka, a villain? Secondly, Kefka is an insane aimless clown with the typical old-school RPG problems of lacking viable motivations. He's just exists to be evil, and that is reason enough!

I'm sorry i guess it's because I'm older than 12, but that's not good enough anymore

rod

Banned
sorry i guess im not good at comparing "manlyness" as good as amir0x. take it away!

lol@the age comment. thats it?

Amir0x

Banned
rod said:
sorry i guess im not good at comparing "manlyness" as good as amir0x. take it away!

lol@the age comment. thats it?

i didn't mean to imply you were 12, i just meant that 'being evil to be evil LOL' motivations is something i personally stopped appreciating at that age

rod

Banned
antiloop said:
Poor Sonic, you deserve a better game. :/

its truly not that bad. it has stupid aspects to it, like freeroaming gta stuff (wtf) a PRINCESS u have to rescue? (WTF) and a lot of bullshit in between, like the gay story, but the sonic episode so far is like sonic adventure, but better. havent played the shadow section yet *shudders*

Amir0x said:
i didn't mean to imply you were 12, i just meant that 'being evil to be evil LOL' motivations is something i personally stopped appreciating at that age

Normally, I'd agree with this in the right context, but
Kefka didn't really need any clear cut motivation since he was the symbol of destruction and chaos in FFVI -- he was the thing stopping everyone from being who they were, he was the one that crushed hopes, he was the symbol of sorrow, regret and lost souls. FFVI is about the road to redemption despite having all odds against you; Not a tale of an unfortunate villain. It works that way and to add any more motivation for Kefka would feel forced and unnatural IMO, he's not a character we're supposed to symphatise with, he's not the focus. There are just plain evil people like him.
To focus more on his motivation would give less focus on the kind of tale FFVI was trying to give.

Amir0x

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Normally, I'd agree with this in the right context, but
Kefka didn't really need any clear cut motivation since was was the symbol of destruction and chaos -- he was the thing stopping everyone from being who they were, he was the one that crushed hopes, he was the symbol of sorrow, regret and lost souls. FFVI is about the road to redemption despite having all odds against you; Not a tale of an unfortunate villain. It works that way and to add any more motivation for Kefka would feel forced and unnatural IMO, he's not a character we're supposed to symphatise with, he's not the focus. There are just plain evil people like him.
To focus more on his motivation would give less focus on the kind of tale FFVI was trying to give.

you're looking way too hard into it. Kefka can symbolize whatever he wants to, but the fact is he's just evil because he's evil. These sort of animu/shallow tales or whatever may be satisfactory for SOME people, but I decidedly like my stories with grounding and competance. I like FFVI, don't get me wrong, but Kefka is no golden standard for villainry. (not that
Vayne or Dr. Cid is either, to be sure
)

Fio

The shit License Board really hurts FFXII.
In the end of the game, all my characters have the same abilities/technics/magics and can handle all weapons.

Amir0x said:
you're looking way too hard into it. Kefka can symbolize whatever he wants to, but the fact is he's just evil because he's evil. These sort of animu/shallow tales or whatever may be satisfactory for SOME people, but I decidedly like my stories with grounding and competance. I like FFVI, don't get me wrong, but Kefka is no golden standard for villainry. (not that
Vayne or Dr. Cid is either, to be sure
)

Well, FFVI is my personal favourite RPG, so it hits me on a personal level more so than any other FF or RPG to date because I found it real and everything about it points to the real world, so that's perhaps why I'm looking "way too hard into it". And yes, Kefka is evil because he is evil and that's it, but for FFVI, and the context of the story it's trying to tell, I think it's perfectly adequate. There isn't always the need for justification of evil, sometimes evil just exists to destroy all that is good.

dabookerman said:
Zelda OOT
Mario 64
Gran Turismo
Halo (this was debated greatly apparently)
Half Life 2

OoT deserves it.

Mario 64 deserves it, but only just.

GT, maybe, I really enjoyed it, but maybe not 10.

Halo does not deserve it. Repetitive trash.

Half Life 2, yeah, I guess so. Half Life had more impact though.

EDGE reserves tens for games that really push boundaries while at the same time offering a high quality experience, it's hard to argue against those candidates so far, and I HATE Gran Turismo.

Also, a 9 for TP seems good enough, it's not trying to be revolutionary, it's just a big, massive upgrade to the other 3D titles.

rod said:

How dare you, you infidel. I hope you go to final fantasy hell where you'll have to play FFX-2 eternally.

Great scores btw. I really want to read the Zelda review now.

stalker

Alkaliine said:
Nice Zelda score. Has EDGE ever handed out a 10 before?

It's easy to find about edge scores, they have a search option in their website.

Zelda for example has received:

OOT: 10
MM: 9
Wind Waker: 9
Four Swords: 9
Twilight Princess: 9
ALLTP (GBA): 9
Minish Cap: 8

Alkaliine said:
OoT deserves it.

...yeah.

I'm sure we could all go through that and list what games we personally feel deserved a 10 and which, if any, didn't. But you know, opinions, subjectivity, yadda yadda yadda...

rod

Banned
fortified_concept said:
How dare you, you infidel. I hope you go to final fantasy hell where you'll have to play FFX-2 eternally.

Great scores btw. I really want to read the Zelda review now.

lucky ffx-2 was released or else ff12 would have the "worst ff since ff1" tag :lol

pilonv1

Ezenzer said:
I'm sure we could all go through that and list what games we personally feel deserved a 10 and which, if any, didn't. But you know, opinions, subjectivity, yadda yadda yadda...

I'm sure we could go through this thread and find about 3-4 people who actually read the magazine too.

Alkaliine said:
OoT deserves it.

They HAD to add Twilight Princess to this list.

Ezenzer said:
...yeah.

Just my opinions. Even if my opinions suck.

I really do not like Halo, and I've got ample reasons for it. Halo 2 was even worse in my opinion, but I hear pitchforks, so I'll just stop now.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
good scores for Zelda and FF12

too bad FF12 didnt fly with me :( I really want to like it, I'll give another shot in christmas.

Lobster

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
They HAD to add Twilight Princess to this list.

Dude calm down. Just because Zelda didn't get a 10 doesn't mean its fantastic. I suggest you get off GAF a while. Its obvious you're angry but its not a big deal. Be glad GAF isn't like GameFAQs and System Wars forum.

Alkaliine said:
Just my opinions. Even if my opinions suck.

I really do not like Halo, and I've got ample reasons for it. Halo 2 was even worse in my opinion, but I hear pitchforks, so I'll just stop now.

See, I don't think your opinion sucked, just the way you went about stating it. =/

Kibs

BorkBork said:
30 second load times and THIS says it's not.
oh god :lol
i wonder why i actually had hope for this game ... should've known the current sega isn't capable of producing a slightly decent 3d sonic :/

Top Bottom