• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #262 - Dark Souls II + awards

6/10 for Shadowfall... ridiculous. I can't agree with their point on A.I. It is pretty good, especially on hard difficulty. If they are going to compare this to a previous generation Halo, their comment about Killzone not being able to beat Halo in A.I is pretty silly. Killzone 2 had some incredible A.I, which is probably some of the strongest out there, can definitely stand toe to toe and possibly even above Halo and most other games. I found the pacing of the game one of the more refreshing things because of the fact that it gave you a break and gave you something a little different but they didn't like the pause in action to introduce those, which I can understand, but I disagree with. I'm not even sure what they are complaining about with the multiplayer... something about framerate (yet no praise for the 60 FPS it does hold for 90% of the multiplayer) and some complaints about Warzone? It just sounds like they were grasping for straws. I'm not sure the issues they had relegates the score to such a low.

Rivals deserves much more praise than it is getting too. That game is legit fun and pretty damn good. I've never been a big Need for Speed fan, but this game is awesome. The blend of single player and multiplayer is pretty fantastic.

Harteex

EDGE reviews are meaningless ...

To me it feels like EDGE reviews are among the few reasonable in this industry :p

I remember when Enchanted Arms came out and people were saying it wasn't as bad as the reviews, it was actually a pretty good game etc. and then I bought it on word of mouth recommendations and it was genuinely pretty awful.

Enchanted Arms had a battle system which I thought was great, I really enjoyed that. It's just too bad that every other aspect of the game is horrible.

I'm playing through KZ:SF again on Hard, and I'm noticing considerably more flanking and aggressive tactics from the enemies. Overall the campaign still feels a tad disjointed, but I'm having a much more favorable impression of things the second time around. The music is really good, and fits the tone of the game nicely. Setting Helghast on fire never gets old, love that animation!

sublimit

Banned
I'm curious if Tanimura shares any more info about the online features of DS2.From what they have already said i feel that they put much bigger emphasis in online interactions this time and frankly i'm not sure how i feel about that.I thought the balance of singleplayer/multiplayer was perfect in Demon's/Dark.
I liked how i felt connected while being hollowed and not caring about being invaded.With the new features they are somewhat forcing online interactions and if anything i think this will result in more people playing completely offline.

6/10 for Shadowfall... ridiculous. I can't agree with their point on A.I. It is pretty good, especially on hard difficulty. If they are going to compare this to a previous generation Halo, their comment about Killzone not being able to beat Halo in A.I is pretty silly. Killzone 2 had some incredible A.I, which is probably some of the strongest out there, can definitely stand toe to toe and possibly even above Halo and most other games. I found the pacing of the game one of the more refreshing things because of the fact that it gave you a break and gave you something a little different but they didn't like the pause in action to introduce those, which I can understand, but I disagree with. I'm not even sure what they are complaining about with the multiplayer... something about framerate (yet no praise for the 60 FPS it does hold for 90% of the multiplayer) and some complaints about Warzone? It just sounds like they were grasping for straws. I'm not sure the issues they had relegates the score to such a low.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DgVqrAw7ozE#t=2815

No, no. IIt was shit game design.

I just played that section too and it may have made up my mind about selling this piece of shit.

Beat it in one try. I really wonder what people are doing that makes it so tough for them.

Anyhoo, these scores look weird, but then I realized that this is Edge we are talking about. I don't think I have agreed with Edge since the 90's. But their covers were always fantastic looking.

NekoFever

I'm glad to see Fire Emblem getting recognition. I have a feeling that's going to get overlooked in a lot of lists by dint of its platform and timing of release.

Ennoia

Banned
Features
The Making Of... Papers, Please

Oh my god I can't wait to read this article, it's too bad my subscription for EDGE was wasted because of China can no longer download their magazine on iPad from 3 or 4 months ago (while game informer don't have such same problem), every time I try to contact their support, I just receive a email told me their inbox is full.

I have read EDGE for two years but never read a single review on it, good articles like the the making of …… series or a good preview are totally worth the price for whole book.

Kadayi

Banned
I can't think of a single outlet who's reviews I trust more than Edge. Their reviews are fantastic for the more discerning among us.

You're more than welcome to throw your support behind a title whose reviews are basically written by an ever changing roster of anonymous paid by the word freelancers.

But when they're handing out scores of 5 & 6 to titles like The Witcher and its sequel whilst giving games like Mass Effect 3 8 I'm less inclined to consider them discerning in truth.

AkuMifune

Banned
No one raising a stink that Tearaway is higher than Mario 3D World?

I thought it was just getting that 'starved Vita/finally something decent' love, I didn't realize it was like better than the latest Mario great.

Guess I need to find where I stashed my Vita.

traveler

Not Wario
No one raising a stink that Tearaway is higher than Mario 3D World?

I thought it was just getting that 'starved Vita/finally something decent' love, I didn't realize it was like better than the latest Mario great.

Guess I need to find where I stashed my Vita.

It's not. If there's any hole in EDGE's critical integrity, it's their unabashed love for UK based development studios. Just see their overwhelming praise for LBP for even more over-the-top MM lovin'.

The game is what you'd expect from MM- a gorgeous audio-visual experience with some real charm to it that lacks anything of interest whatsoever in the gameplay department. Epic Yarn is a more interesting game than Tearaway and I was bored to tears by it.

All that said, it's clearly aiming to be more of a Psychonauts style 3D adventure than it is an intense 3D platformer, so, regardless of one's opinions on it vs Mario, they really aren't comparable in what they're trying to do.

Or perhaps they really like the game. Bear in mind that Tearaway is also in Simon Parkin's list in the New Yorker. And in IGN's.

To be fair, there are tons of games made in the UK that didn't get Edge love.

traveler

Not Wario
Oh, I don't think there's any sort of conspiratorial nonsense to it; I'm sure they genuinely liked the game. I just think they also genuinely wish to show support to local devs and are a bit predisposed towards MM's efforts in general.

As for the others that liked the game, well, obviously my opinion is what it is and I'd disagree with them all, not that it really matters.

Edit: I missed the point- the point being "Edge isn't an outlier here- why are you questioning their integrity over this?" and I agree. To call Edge's credibility in question over this is off base. (That said, I think LBP was also overrated at the time of its launch, and that this is no different, nor are most big outlet reviews of the latest titles for that matter)

You're more than welcome to throw your support behind a title whose reviews are basically written by an ever changing roster of anonymous paid by the word freelancers.

But when they're handing out scores of 5 & 6 to titles like The Witcher and its sequel whilst giving games like Mass Effect 3 8s I'm less inclined to consider them discerning in truth.

I'm not saying I necessarily disagree, but at least judge reviews by their text, not their scores.

Glass Rebel

what's with all the hate of knack on gaf? have people really played the game themselves instead of basing their opinions off of reviews?

seriously?

i know it's not the best game ever made and it certainly has flaws but damn, it's nowhere near the horrible game a lot of the people in gaf makes it out to be.

I have played it and it's terrible. The game is already disqualified by its controls and the shallow combat. It's imprecise as hell (but I guess that was intended because it's a brawler for new gamers). And then you take the presentation into account... really shameful. In a year where they released TLOU, Tearaway and Puppeteer. Boggles the mind. Maybe they can use the particle tech in a different game.

Really? I'm going to assume by you posting that and nothing else that you are referring to the Killzone 2 related section with PSXExtreme and Edge and trying to associate the post with everything else, which would be pretty silly. You could also be trying to make a point about Killzone 2 because I brought it up in relation to their review, but I doubt that.

I understand some of their criticisms and though I disagree with them and the score they gave it because of that, they are not "liars." The game does deserve criticism in certain areas, absolutely... it isn't anywhere near perfect. But if you are bringing that up to try and lump me for disagree with others (or reviews and scores) about the game into the "insane faction who can't accept the game getting criticism or that people might not like it" or whatever else then that is however, wrong.

The review is fairly good overall, actually. There are positives and negatives. However, my point is that the stuff they are bringing up as negatives seem pretty light in comparison to their review score being so low. The multiplayer portion though does seem a little grasping to me. Anyway, it just seems they weighted the negatives overly heavy but maybe that is just what Edge does.

Why is it that news sites today claim that Takeshi Miyazoe gave an Interview to EDGE where he said that there will be no Next-Gen versions of Dark Souls 2 and he gives reasons for that (which are totally bs)
Is that interview in this EDGE edition or is there a new one? Because I can't find the Interview itself.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Why is it that news sites today claim that Takeshi Miyazoe gave an Interview to EDGE where he said that there will be no Next-Gen versions of Dark Souls 2 and he gives reasons for that (which are totally bs)
Is that interview in this EDGE edition or is there a new one? Because I can't find the Interview itself.

Official answer was "We have not put any thought into this yet, so I unfortunately can’t answer at this point."
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737332

King_Moc

Banned
I'd say KZ was the worst game I played this year, not been so angry with a game for a long time.

I'm constantly baffled at how much people feel they need to defend Killzone. I got it at the launch of the PS4 and have only done the first 5 levels. I've also played two rounds of multiplayer. Compared to every other AAA shooter out there, it's dogshit.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've played Knack. The best I can say about it is that it's okay. Nothing great. Nothing that gave me the need to keep playing. Just okay. Which isn't really good enough these days.

Top Bottom