• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Scores October 2023

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
How the hell can EDGE be on October already, its August. Anway...

iN66t5K.jpg

Exoprimal - 7
Pikmin 4 - 7
Shadow Gambit : The Cursed Crew - 8
Atlas Fallen - 6
The Banished Vault - 5
Jagged Alliance 3 - 7
Remnant II - 6
Videoverse - 8
Viewfinder - 8
Stray Gods - The Roleplaying Musical - 6
Sludge Life 2 - 7

Ultra Donny

I personally don't agree with the Remnant II score. I'm having a great time with it. My favourite game to come out this year so far.

zeldaring

Banned
So because I am laughing at how stupid and ridiculous their scores are that means I am triggered?

I got a better question for you. Inagine being triggered at someone else's reaction who's laughing at how pathetic this video game magazine is.
Agreed they seem to have a huge bias to one company as well.

Could it be that the reviewer just didn't enjoy Remnant 2 as much as others? Just an hypothesis
It could be. But at same it could also mean the individual who reviewed the product doesn't understand anything about game design and is not looking at the game objectively. There are far too many reviewers who let their emotions play a part in reviewing a product instead of actually giving it a thorough analysis.

For example - I cannot stand golf games. So what happens if I am going to be reviewing a golf game, an automatic 5/10 cause I hate golf? No, if I am smart and understand how to properly judge things objectively, I'll put my emotions aside and see how this golf game excels or fails at its gameplay mechanics and execution. You can still be a bit subjective for sure, but you have to learn to be more objective than anything when reviewing a product and a lot of reviewers really lack that.

They are either too busy with their shitty political agenda insertions or crying about how a mechanic is bad without actually understanding how it works in the first place. Yes, there can be bad mechanics, but you can't say it's a bad mechanic unless you truly understand it.

If someone gave Returnal a score of 5 or 6 out of 10, that just simply means they understand nothing about the game's core gameplay design. And a review like that should never be taken seriously. Or they are doing it to feed the fanboy wars.

Last edited:

Zheph

It could be. But at same it could also mean the individual who reviewed the product doesn't understand anything about game design and is not looking at the game objectively. There are far too many reviewers who let their emotions play a part in reviewing a product instead of actually giving it a thorough analysis.

For example - I cannot stand golf games. So what happens if I am going to be reviewing a golf game, an automatic 5/10 cause I hate golf? No, if I am smart and understand how to properly judge things objectively, I'll put my emotions aside and see how this golf game excels or fails at its gameplay mechanics and execution. You can still be a bit subjective for sure, but you have to learn to be more objective than anything when reviewing a product and a lot of reviewers really lack that.

They are either too busy with their shitty political agenda insertions or crying about how a mechanic is bad without actually understanding how it works in the first place. Yes, there can be bad mechanics, but you can't say it's a bad mechanic unless you truly understand it.

If someone gave Returnal a score of 5 or 6 out of 10, that just simply means they understand nothing about the game's core gameplay design. And a review like that should never be taken seriously. Or they are doing it to feed the fanboy wars.
I reckon emotions are a huge part of why we enjoy a product but your point of view make sense. Is it so simple to not let it impact your judgment?

I finished the game myself and I can see why it could rate between 6 to 8 honestly I don't think it is that outrageous (would probably give it a 7 if you ask)

Now if it was for Returnal...
Angry Gaspar Noe GIF by Arrow Video

zeldaring

Banned
This isn't true.
Ok i over exaggerated but mostly anything with a over 80 on Metracritic is usually a 8,9 or 10. It just boggles my mind how they give low quality Nintendo games like Kirby star allies 30fps platformer lol, pokemon switch, yoshi's crafted yarn, and bayonette 3 a action games that runs horrible good to great scores while GOW:Ragnorak, GOT, and Remnant 2 get 6's.

xrnzaaas

Shadow Gambit being scored high and praised in the previews is a surprise. A shame they went with the supernatural angle, I prefer more realistic setting from these kinds of games.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Shadow Gambit being scored high and praised in the previews is a surprise. A shame they went with the supernatural angle, I prefer more realistic setting from these kinds of games.
Supernatural just means more options for advanced tactics. Theyve never done it so Im excited for it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don’t get the obsession with score with you guys, does the “score“ suddenly change how you feel about the game? if you already played the game and enjoying it then the score is meaningles.

I reckon emotions are a huge part of why we enjoy a product but your point of view make sense. Is it so simple to not let it impact your judgment?

I finished the game myself and I can see why it could rate between 6 to 8 honestly I don't think it is that outrageous (would probably give it a 7 if you ask)

Now if it was for Returnal...
Angry Gaspar Noe GIF by Arrow Video
Yes, sure emotions are a part of why we enjoy a video game, movie or whatever else in life. But its a reviewers job to tell us if the game is well designed and is engaging to begin with and whether we should or should not invest our time and emotions in product X or Y.

oh yeah, returnal minimum deserves an 8 at its lowest imo. Game is an easy 9 for me personally. It's engaging in atmosphere, gameplay, and even story. The best part is that all of the mechanics are so well done and they complement the core system. Not many games are able to build well executed mechanics around a core system.

Death Stranding is another game that is extremely well done in terms of game design and how it plays and what it's meant to do. However, it's a divisive game because it's very unusual from normal video game designs and may not fit everyone's bill and that's where the subjective part comes in. But objectively it's a very good game that I personally throughly enjoyed.

Woopah

Ok i over exaggerated but mostly anything with a over 80 on Metracritic is usually a 8,9 or 10. It just boggles my mind how they give low quality Nintendo games like Kirby star allies 30fps platformer lol, pokemon switch, yoshi's crafted yarn, and bayonette 3 a action games that runs horrible good to great scores while GOW:Ragnorak, GOT, and Remnant 2 get 6's.

Kirby Star Allies

Metacritic - 73
Edge -70

Bayonetta 3

Metacritic - 86
Edge -90

Yoshi's Crafted World

Metacritic - 79
Edge -80

Pokemon Scarlet

Metacritic - 72
Edge - 70

Edge looks pretty in line with the average for those games. I'm not seeing anything unusual here.

Thief1987

Kirby Star Allies

Metacritic - 73
Edge -70

Bayonetta 3

Metacritic - 86
Edge -90

Yoshi's Crafted World

Metacritic - 79
Edge -80

Pokemon Scarlet

Metacritic - 72
Edge - 70

Edge looks pretty in line with the average for those games. I'm not seeing anything unusual here.
But they are supposedly using the full scale, unlike other outlets, so that's the point that they shouldn't be in line with the average. And they are certainly not in line with the average when it's not some indie junk or nintenda game.

Last edited:

Woopah

But they are supposedly using the full scale, unlike other outlets, so that's the point that they shouldn't be in line with the average. And they are certainly not in line with the average when it's not some indie junk or nintenda game.
I know that's there claim, but I'm not seeing that from these listed reviews where everything apart from 1 game is 6 or higher.

You're right that they do tend to be lower than the average though.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Kirby Star Allies

Metacritic - 73
Edge -70

Bayonetta 3

Metacritic - 86
Edge -90

Yoshi's Crafted World

Metacritic - 79
Edge -80

Pokemon Scarlet

Metacritic - 72
Edge - 70

Yes for Nintendo games they line up with metracritic or higher which is why pikmin 4 getting a 7 is very surprising. Here what sony games just look for comparison

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart - 70/89
Returnal 80/86
GOW ragnorak 60/94
GOW 2018 80/94
Sackboy A Big Adventure 60/79
Astro's Playroom 70/83
Demon's souls 90/92
Miles Morales 70/85
Ghost of Tsushima 60/83
The Last of Us Part II 90/93
Dreams 100/89
Death Stranding 60/82
Days Gone 50/71

Woopah

Yes for Nintendo games they line up with metracritic or higher which is why pikmin 4 getting a 7 is very surprising. Here what sony games just look for comparison

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart - 70/89
Returnal 80/86
GOW ragnorak 60/94
GOW 2018 80/94
Sackboy A Big Adventure 60/79
Astro's Playroom 70/83
Demon's souls 90/92
Miles Morales 70/85
Ghost of Tsushima 60/83
The Last of Us Part II 90/93
Dreams 100/89
Death Stranding 60/82
Days Gone 50/71
Yeah the gap is bigger for Sony, that's a fair point.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah the gap is bigger for Sony, that's a fair point.
They rank innovation higher, and polished gameplay feel. Look at Dreams. Nintendo usually excels primarily in those 2 areas. They dont give any points at all for high production values. They seem all about innovation, gameplay, pacing. If something is similar to how its always been, feels a bit off to play, and is paced poorly then it will get knocked.

I dont agree with Edge all the time but they do make me think when I see their scores. Ghost of Tsushima I thought was awesome. I'd give it an 8. But I just dropped the game on act 3. Just too much repetition. Same thing happened to me almost exactly on Days Gone. Same thing on Ragnarok, but it happened far earlier. I wouldnt rate Kirby Star Allies higher than a 7 personally but I did finish it. Bayonetta 3 is extremely innovative with the Demon Slave system accomplishing something no one else has ever pulled off.

tmlDan

They rank innovation higher, and polished gameplay feel. Look at Dreams. Nintendo usually excels primarily in those 2 areas. They dont give any points at all for high production values. They seem all about innovation, gameplay, pacing. If something is similar to how its always been, feels a bit off to play, and is paced poorly then it will get knocked.

I dont agree with Edge all the time but they do make me think when I see their scores. Ghost of Tsushima I thought was awesome. I'd give it an 8. But I just dropped the game on act 3. Just too much repetition. Same thing happened to me almost exactly on Days Gone. Same thing on Ragnarok, but it happened far earlier. I wouldnt rate Kirby Star Allies higher than a 7 personally but I did finish it. Bayonetta 3 is extremely innovative with the Demon Slave system accomplishing something no one else has ever pulled off.

You said polished gameplay feel, thats what Sony excels at, or did you mean something else?

Nintendo hasn't been innovative in a long time apart from Zelda, maybe the last innovative game was mario galaxy.

I think Edge just make s no sense, they just like being different in most cases

zeldaring

Banned

Yea I mean action game dipping 20fps constantly breaks the gameplay for most people no excuse really. Then you have stuff like pokemon snap, a 30fps plaformer with no challenge or plaformers with no skill required targeting 4 year Olds is ok. Come on its pretty obvious bias here. It's ok to target mainly kids skill level gameplay but high production level games get smoked right away.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
How's Remnant 2 a 6? I haven't played it, however, I heard nothing but praise. Also, why is that October and not August? Do these idiots live in the land of make believe? Yeah, no, will never take these morons scores seriously. What a joke.
So we need to repeat this every EDGE thread? People should get it by now. Monkey could’ve get it. EDGE use the correct scale. 6 is slightly above average. Which Remnant 2 is. A 6 is a good score. Even 5 is a good score as that is average.

Woopah

Yea I mean action game dipping 20fps constantly breaks the gameplay for most people no excuse really. Then you have stuff like pokemon snap, a 30fps plaformer with no challenge or plaformers with no skill required targeting 4 year Olds is ok. Come on its pretty obvious bias here. It's ok to target mainly kids skill level gameplay but high production level games get smoked right away.
Which parts of their New Pokémon Snap review did you not agree with?

Top Bottom