• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 274 : Star Citizen Cover Story. Reviews : CODAW, LBP3, TEW, Sunset Overdrive...

I'm really impressed at how well the single player campaign in particular turned out.

I wanted to love the single player campaign, but I feel it didn't take advantage enough of the new traversal options. I guess I just wanted the level design to be a bit more open and vertical. I also played Sunset Overdrive right before it, though. I understand they are VERY different games, but Sunset Overdrive has shaped my expectations for other holiday games in strange ways.

I'm really impressed at how well the single player campaign in particular turned out.

I wanted to love the single player campaign, but I feel it didn't take advantage enough of the new traversal options. I guess I just wanted the level design to be a bit more open and vertical. I also played Sunset Overdrive right before it, though. I understand they are VERY different games, but Sunset Overdrive has shaped my expectations for other holiday games in strange ways.

A CoD campaign that's actually worth a damn again? Guess I might have to buy AW on the cheap some day.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah it wasn't bad. Wish they did more with the exo suit though, like place a bigger emphasis on traversal.

Why are people looking at SO's score like it's miles from the average? The metacritic is about 80, a 7 from Edge sounds about right considering Edge are harsh scorers.

They didn't seem to be to harsh on LBP3 or Cod...

Anyways, I'm surprised about the score, but only because SO is my favorite game of the year. (I mean I'm a big Halo nut, but I'll admit that I'v had a lot more fun with this than MCC of Destiny)

Honestly, the more I play SO, the less I like it. I'd give it a 6.5 at this point, originally would have given it a 7.5.

Complete opposite for me. I started not liking it as much as I thought I would, but once I got some new weapons, unlocked air dash and had traversal clicked, it quickly became one of my games of the years and it's easily one of the most enjoyable games I've played this year.

wasn't expecting SC to be on a cover until more of the game is fleshed out next year, still very nice to see though. Anybody have a summary of what was included in the article?

nynt9

Complete opposite for me. I started not liking it as much as I thought I would, but once I got some new weapons, unlocked air dash and had traversal clicked, it quickly became one of my games of the years and it's easily one of the most enjoyable games I've played this year.

Air dash was where the game peaked for me, but shortly after that it started feeling like an Ubisoft game without a main quest, aka just filler missions. The boss battles are all very cool, but other than that the actual missions were quite disappointing to me.

Air dash was where the game peaked for me, but shortly after that it started feeling like an Ubisoft game without a main quest, aka just filler missions. The boss battles are all very cool, but other than that the actual missions were quite disappointing to me.

Complete opposite for me again. The main missions and side quests only improve after you unlock the air dash.

The LARPers missions were fantastic, as were the cheerleader missions. The rock concert was insane as was the entire final mission. And the side quests. Oh boy..some of the most varied I've come across in an open world game.

Honestly, the more I play SO, the less I like it. I'd give it a 6.5 at this point, originally would have given it a 7.5.

Wow, this is the exact opposite of how I and many others felt. The game gets better and better with every mission in my opinion.

Complete opposite for me again. The main missions and side quests only improve after you unlock the air dash.

The LARPers missions were fantastic, as were the cheerleader missions. The rock concert was insane as was the entire final mission. And the side quests. Oh boy..some of the most varied I've come across in an open world game.

Agreed. I found the missions got better and the world even more vertical to account for the new traversal options.

British people apparently hate sunset overdrive like I hate downtown abbey and all those other dumb British dramas that people seem to like.

I dont know how a 7 is hate.

Yeah. EDGE 7 does not equal hate. I think many fans of SO will just wonder why LBP3 got a 9 in comparison. Different strokes for different folks, opinions, and different genres and all that, though. Metacritic still favors SO, so I guess the warriors can have that one. Hehe.

It doesn't do anything "new" like blops2 did, but goddamn its's so dumb and fun. The COD formula is pretty much perfected in this one.

I need to make sure and not play an open world game right before the next CoD. I love CoD single player campaigns so I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed this one more given he right mindset.

I think the current open world games coming out could give me some open world burnout, though. Should be a nice thing before The Order comes out. :)

It doesn't do anything "new" like blops2 did, but goddamn its's so dumb and fun. The COD formula is pretty much perfected in this one.

Man, this is making me want to get it now.

I'm really in the mood for something dumb and fun that doesn't take itself too seriously...

Fingers crossed it's on sale on B.F or C.M.

Haunted

British people apparently hate sunset overdrive like I hate downtown abbey and all those other dumb British dramas that people seem to like.
ibhnCPFRsvKeeC.gif

LBP 3 is amazing, I love it, well deserved, I have 4 hours playtime, 1 single bug, fell through a level. I still don't know what IGN was talking about..

Congrats to Sledgehammer. Not getting enough credit for stepping up and bringing life back to CoD.

Meanwhile LBP 3 is going to literally get overshadowed by every other game coming out this fall. I'm pretty excited for my copy to arrive. The only games my girlfriend has ever played with me to completion are LBP 1 and 2 and this is the only game that I've ever seen her be legitimately excited for.

Chaplain

I agree. I couldn't put the SP down because of how polished and fun it was to play. It really put to shame what Dice did in their SP campaign for BF4. The only draw back, in comparing both, is that the graphics in BF4's SP campaign are/were way better.

MP is another story though. While polished, for my tastes, I can't go back to Quake style environments after BF4. I hope that that they open up COD someday, and find a way of combining their gameplay with the BF type environments.

RetroStu

Banned
Yikes at the Sunset 7. Best game I have played all year. Easily a 9. To each their own.

A 7 in EDGE is almost like a 9 in most other publications. Atleast it used to be years ago when i used to buy it, i get the feeling they may of calmed down a bit on scores since i used to buy it.

sense

Edge loves overrating LBP.

Maybe one day the series will actually have good gameplay.

I know right?

they must single handedly be responsible for lbp getting a 95 meta and lbp2 getting a 91 meta....

yes the gameplay is divisive but for people that don't mind it, it is an exceptionally well made game.

RalchAC

I agree, every game has bugs and its get fixed but giving low score is stupid unless the game cannot be fixed or need long time to fix them. Everyone praises the adventure mode design and we know LBP main strength is in community which is not considered as point in many reviews.

So you prefer reviewers to actually give a site based on promises instead of facts? If the game has bugs that break the experience, tell it in your review. If there is a patch that fixes them, upgrade your score.

I'd rather see LBP getting and 7-8 instead of a 9 because of those bugs rather than seeing a BF4-like launch ever again. You can always get the game two weeks after launch. But you may not get your money back if you get a broken game.

sn00zer

Was hoping someone would post this, didn't get my copy today. Two covers this month, one is rare.

jT7zSTSbzw3Ya.png

jbuh4IfQcfWqMp.png

And yup, that's the worst scoring Platinum Game in Edge. Behind Madworld, Anarchy Reigns and Wonderful 101 which each got 6.

Playstation 20th anniversary edition of EDGE*

*Game on cover not coming to Playstation consoles

Top Bottom