• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #290 - Doom

Featured
Doom [Ben Maxwell]
Dangerous Golf [Nathan Brown]
An audience with... Dominic Wheatley [Will Freeman]
The making of... Psychonauts [Chris Schilling]
Studio profile: The Odd Gentlemen [Keza MacDonald]
Time Extend: Fire Emblem: Awakening [Alex Wiltshire]

Previewed
The Division
Overwatch
The Climb
Homefront: The Revolution
Bravely Second: End Layer
A Hat in Time

Reviewed
The Witness [9] / PS4. Post script with Jonathan Blow
XCOM 2 [9] / PC. + Post script
Firewatch [8] / PC
Gemini: Heroes Reborn [4] / PC
Darkest Dungeon [8] / PC
Oxenfree [6] / Xbox One
That Dragon, Cancer [8] / PC

#291 on sale March 8
subscription info / scores archive

Wonder if the Edge feature means they finally took the advice from their '93 Doom review and are going to let us talk with the monsters...

Is this the first Firewatch review score?

Firewatch [8] / PC
Darkest Dungeon [8] / PC

2016 is off to a strong start.

Auctopus

That is an incredibily generous score for That Dragon Cancer, IMO. I'll have to read the actual review to see why they gave it such a high score.

Melchiah

0RQlJNC.jpg

That would be so much better for the box art.

Melchiah

Even a black cover with "DOOM" written in white on it would be better than what they did

Agreed. Having a space marine in the cover is just an uninspired design. Particularly for a game, where the demons are the stars of the show.

Just add a blue-tinted logo to that image, and you have the classic combination. ;)

That is an incredibily generous score for That Dragon Cancer, IMO. I'll have to read the actual review to see why they gave it such a high score.
Just read it. Sounds to me like a lot of the game hinges on whether it connects to you on an emotional level. Full of spoilers though so I'd recommend playing before reading if you think you'd be interested, anyone..
Been ages since I've heard anything about this. Should be fun.
Yooka Laylee and this in the same year. It's almost a bit of a revival.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Been ages since I've heard anything about this. Should be fun.

The beta hasn't been updated since last March or so, IIRC, which is rather annoying. The game is still being worked on, to be clear; alpha/beta backers just have an ancient build that's buggy and lacking content.

liquidtmd

Banned
Can we just tweet the shit out of Id and get them to change the boxart to that cover, albeit it being last minute in relation to printing etc?

Jesus wept.

FelipeMGM

Is this the first Firewatch review score?

Firewatch [8] / PC
Darkest Dungeon [8] / PC

2016 is off to a strong start.

Yep, ''normal'' embargo lifts at 10am PST

Zemm

That Firewatch score is very good, the price point and the fact it's only 6 hours long (so I may actually complete a game) makes it very tempting.

Read an issue of Edge for the first time in about 10yrs last week and,er..its not very good now is it.

It now seems to be more of a promotional trade mag for the industry rather than being aimed at regular consumers.

I suppose with the immediacy of news online it must be difficult to stay relevant to 'normal' people.

Phyla

Read an issue of Edge for the first time in about 10yrs last week and,er..its not very good now is it.

It now seems to be more of a promotional trade mag for the industry rather than being aimed at regular consumers.

I suppose with the immediacy of news online it must be difficult to stay relevant to 'normal' people.

As a 'normal' person, Edge has all my needs covered. Previews, reviews, columns, plus features on events and current topics. Very well-written and beautifully designed at that.

What gives you that impression Mac? They don't run job ads, or articles on middleware. The region specific feature has become less common. If anything I'd say the magazine is more focused on players these days.

SomTervo

Oooh, mama.

Hope mine's waiting on my doorstep.

It's definitely more industry- and hardcore-enthusiast-focused.

It's just as good as it used to be imo. Just different. Filling the massive void of 'really serious journalism' in videogame press. The only other occupant of that void is Gamasutra.

What gives you that impression Mac? .

It was the focus on dev studios and the opinion pieces which seemed to be aimed at 'knowing smiles' to those who work within the industry.

It just had a completely different vibe about it compared to when I was last a subscriber, (I collected the mag from issue #1 to about #130).

..maybe it was unfair to judge it on a single issue I happened to get hold of by chance, but it certainly didn't make me want to go back to buying it each month.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can we just tweet the shit out of Id and get them to change the boxart to that cover, albeit it being last minute in relation to printing etc?

Jesus wept.

The game isn't releasing until mid-May, so manufacturing is still a number of weeks away, and you'd be better off directing the comments to Bethesda since it's the one that makes such decisions, being the publisher.

What gives you that impression Mac? They don't run job ads, or articles on middleware. The region specific feature has become less common. If anything I'd say the magazine is more focused on players these days.

Yes, it's the best mag out there I feel. Their reviews, features and columns are some of the best-written in the industry.

You're right by saying it's hard to stay relevant, but somehow, EDGE manages.
They dig a lot deeper than most mags and sites, and that's why they still matter.

I have a subscription for about 14 years now, and I don't want to miss out. Their features, interviews, previews and reviews are among the best in the bizz imo.

Their reviews are a bit harsh and sometime make me think 'wtf?'. But when I return to the reviews, after finishing the game, I often think ' damn...they were actually quite right after all'.

Top Bottom