• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Issue 208 Scores (NSMB Wii, Ratchet, Forza, GTA, Tekken...)

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
ChoklitReign said:
This thread is in dire need of the Borderlands Defense Force. Go on, name every nitpicky flaw with the game you have with it. I'd love to see more than five.

It's too xxxtreme.

theluma

Kusagari said:
No, it's slang for a mediocre 2D Mario platformer that felt like Sega's lame attempt at capturing the magic of SMB1-3.

Hardly....so now a 2D Mario game has to be stupidly hard to be good? What exactly was wrong with NSMB, apart from it being possible to complete?

Jesus Christ, if you ask me, NSMB is a helluva lot better than SMB3 or 2, in terms of actual level design. 1 and World are still the best though.

EXGN

For those wondering about the high score of OP2: DR, it was made in Europe so that's +1

EDIT: Wow, left this sitting open for a few minutes and my stupid attempt at humor was beat by 50 posts.

obonicus

Yes Boss! said:
Pretty much this. Best game on the PS3, easily, and contender for GOTY but that does not mean it is anywhere near perfect. My only complaint is that it might be a little too guided (more apparent in successive playthroughs). But still one of the best gaming experiences in a long while.

Just a note: a 10 doesn't mean perfect. I'm not sure why Edge insists on scores, though, if they're not objective nor can they be used for comparing titles.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
EXGN said:
For those wondering about the high score of OP2: DR, it was made in Europe so that's +1

EDIT: Wow, left this sitting open for a few minutes and my stupid attempt at humor was beat by 50 posts.

Don't worry, it wasn't that funny in the first place.

pswii60

theluma said:
Hardly....so now a 2D Mario game has to be stupidly hard to be good? What exactly was wrong with NSMB, apart from it being possible to complete?

Jesus Christ, if you ask me, NSMB is a helluva lot better than SMB3 or 2, in terms of actual level design. 1 and World are still the best though.
Remember: Subjective.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'd love to know their criticisms of NSMB Wii, especially since the DS iteration rated higher. NSMB Wii seems to take all the bad parts of the DS version, scrap them, add more, and improve the overall formula.

Maybe it's a case of a game they felt would have been better as a sequel to NSMB DS, on the same platform.

Kusagari

theluma said:

I think you might be the only person on the planet who considers NSMB better than 3.

theluma

Crewnh said:
What is this and how did it score so well?

Cool little DS game that mixes simple puzzle gameplay with complex RTS elements. Story is a big part I think as it's a 20 hour plus game. Amazing sprite art as well.

Kusagari said:
I think you might be the only person on the planet who considers NSMB better than 3.

Sometimes I think so too :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah, I need to see that review text too. NSMB is my biggest game of November, and I'd like to know what I'm in for.

(not that I probably won't pick it up anyway)

dkeane

It'll be interesting once we get the review text to see if the NSMB Wii reviewer was playing by him/herself or with 3 friends. I imagine that could change someone's perception of the game immensely.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Unusually good scoring game month by Edge's history, but it's all good, all the noticeable titles got good scores. Nice.

ryan-ts

Vast Inspiration said:
:lol :lol :lol
No, its was a review. What YOU wanted would be a description. They didn't spoil anything and they gave their opinions on the game. And Edge reviews don't go into specific description of each element of the game. Just look at the Forza review.

You either don't know what a good review is, or you've never read anything from Edge before.

Yeah..... it was a pretty shitty review. Generic as hell to be honest, it's like a compilation of every good and bad thing said on the game. There's no flavour to it you know? Like watching paint dry.

There's also a section on the repetition of the game but they don't ever actually say why it's a bad thing, there's plenty of repetitive games but sometimes thats part of the appeal. The repetition is bad because over time the shooting sections become stale and if you die after a 15 minute shoot-out only to have to start over it's extremely annoying. It gets to a point where you just want to shoot enemies to get to the next variance in gameplay or to the next cutscene. They should be reviewing this game as if I have no idea about anything involved with Uncharted 2, not assuming I've watched a few gameplay videos and read some previews.

obonicus

I love the reaction to Edge reviews. 'Borderlands got a 6? It must be bad! Nevermind that I've been playing the game for 3 days and have been enjoying it!' What, do people think that somehow Edge sees the hidden truth of games? They don't make as many grammatical errors as your typical game reviewer, that's about it.

P.S. I haven't played Borderlands and have no stake in it, it was just an example of a game people can have first-hand experience of.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Agree with pretty much all of these scores. Also I don't see how fanboys can be getting upset here--when you take the scores as a whole there is definitely something to appeal every contingent.

Owzers

MrPing1000 said:
Edge are more fanboy hype proof than most review sources. Not immune but usually a lot more sensible.

Which is why they are my favorite reviewer, when they give a game a high score i pay attention to it, as opposed to the 8-9s that are handed out to pretty much everything elsewhere.

obonicus

MrPing1000 said:
Edge are more fanboy hype proof than most review sources. Not immune but usually a lot more sensible.

Why do you think that? They do score some big-name games lower, but I don't know if that's sensible or just curmudgeonly.

Firestorm

Crewnh said:
Halo 3 got a 10 at Edge? Seriously? That's surprising.
The reason it got a 10 is the same reason Bungie is listed under Special Thanks at the end of Uncharted 2. They did some really awesome things with its community features that a lot of developers have since learned from and emulated.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
is there any point of gaming mags/websites "reviewing" fighting games?

No.

Also I agree with the Kingdom Hearts on DS review.
It feels like a bunch of side quests strung together with an uninteresting story, and lots of cut scenes about ice cream.

Firestorm said:
The reason it got a 10 is the same reason Bungie is listed under Special Thanks at the end of Uncharted 2. They did some really awesome things with its community features that a lot of developers have since learned from and emulated.
I see what you mean. It's been a while since Halo 3 came out so I totally forgot about all the stuff it did.

obonicus said:
Why do you think that? They do score some big-name games lower, but I don't know if that's sensible or just curmudgeonly.

Well I've been watching their scores and occasionally buying their mag for years and in general they seem pretty spot on.

Edge, Eurogamer and PC Gamer UK are the ones I pay attention to. The rest are pish.

darkwings

Banned
theluma said:
As one always says, a 7 from EDGE is high 8s from everyone else.

That's not the point. While a 7 is good, it is still Super Mario Bros 2D co-op! I expected higher since the DS game got an 8. I'd like to hear their complaints.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
If Tekken 6 plays like Tekken 1-5, and if NSMBW plays like the DS game before it, then these scores are on point. Can I get a subscription in the US?

AgentOtaku said:
Operation Flashpoint score does not compute

Bought it on PC ...it's a fucking mess in my honest opinion
Wikipedia said:
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (often incorrectly referred to as Operation Flashpoint 2 or OPF2) is a first person tactical military game for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 developed by British game developer Codemasters
There ya go.

Volcynika

DennisK4 said:
Finally someone gives Borderlands the right score instead of swallowing the hype :lol

I love review threads due to comments like this. Because it's not the 'right score' unless you agree with it.

Owzers

obonicus said:

Mainly because they dont give flawed games like Resistance 2 a 9 out of hype obligation.

Firestorm

Baiano19 said:
What did they said about NSMB? I expect at least an 8...

I was holding on Mario & Luigi 3, but I think I'll get it.
By Edge scoring, I thought NSMB DS was a 6. A 7 seems about right although they did give the last one an 8 apparently.
nincompoop said:
There ya go.
:lol

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
ChoklitReign said:
Borderlands a 6?! Fuck this magazine. And I was expecting NSMB to get at least an 8. Pickiest magazine EVER.

504x_borderlands_box_art-1.jpg

Hmmm, gamecentral gave borderlands a seven.

Given the postal strikes I'm not sure when I'll be able to read the edge review though. I'd be interested to see if the critiques are similar.

painey said:
seem pretty good scores this month, but what did Uncharted 2 have to do to earn a 10? I can't think of how they could have improved it.

better platforming, more actual environmental clues and less hints

also borderlands is fucking great, this is one of the games asshole journos will be kicking themselves for mis-scoring years later, like the snarky skeptics did with the initial release of diablo 2

jufonuk

not tag worthy
MrPing1000 said:
Edge, Eurogamer and PC Gamer UK are the ones I pay attention to.

pretty much this but i also read IGN then take the scores and kinda average them out sorta

Regards of the scores on the doors I am still gonna check out NSMB Wii and Brutal Legend

Top Bottom