• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge November 06 Scores

hadareud

The Translator
Motorstorm cover

Scores:
Just Cause (360) 7
Broken Sword: The Angel of Death (PC) 6
Company of Heroes (PC) 9
Reservoir Dogs (Xbox) 3
Mercury Letdown (PSP) 7
Deep Labyrinth (DS) 4
Defcon (PC) 7
Ridge Racer 2 (PSP) 7
Bomberman (360) 3
Bounty Hounds (PSP) 6
Scurge Hive (DS) 4

In brackets is the version tested btw.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Everybody else is upset that RR2 is basically RR1.5 and Edge gives it a 7....

Soul4ger

DarienA said:
Everybody else is upset that RR2 is basically RR1.5 and Edge gives it a 7....

I'm guessing they just think it's still fun to play..? A lot of the game, when the company's footing the bill for these games, it's a lot easier to enjoy them than when, say, you spend the $50 yourself. :p

Just Cause (360) 7
Company of Heroes (PC) 9
Reservoir Dogs (Xbox) 3
Mercury Letdown (PSP) 7
Deep Labyrinth (DS) 4
Defcon (PC) 7
Ridge Racer 2 (PSP) 7
Bomberman (360) 3
Bounty Hounds (PSP) 6
Scurge Hive (DS) 4

Ouch!! Edge pretty much love the Broken Sword series, quite sad to see the latest receive the lowest marks from the series. (For reference, Edge gave 9 for all the other games)

jax (old)

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
i thought the new Edge had Viva Pinata on the front?
Was crap too.

that's the issue I got too. RARE BREEDS. articles on VP + crackdown + reviews of saintsrow..etc. Hmm.. its Octobers. I got this as an airfreight mag just less than a week ago

:X

What's this issues cover?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
GitarooMan said:
That was my first thought looking at the scores too, WTF?
I think that's why they scored it a 7. The game itself is fantastic, but the lack of new content brings down the score. A lower score than that would suggest that the game is no good, but that's not true. It simply lacks new content. What's new is very good, of course, but there's not enough of it.

Kabouter

flipping_heck said:
Just Cause (360) 7
Company of Heroes (PC) 9
Reservoir Dogs (Xbox) 3
Mercury Letdown (PSP) 7
Deep Labyrinth (DS) 4
Defcon (PC) 7
Ridge Racer 2 (PSP) 7
Bomberman (360) 3
Bounty Hounds (PSP) 6
Scurge Hive (DS) 4

Ouch!! Edge pretty much love the Broken Sword series, quite sad to see the latest receive the lowest marks from the series. (For reference, Edge gave 9 for all the other games)

Broken Sword IV is said to be way too hard and only truly enjoyable for the hardcore adventure gamer. Definitely a game I'll hold off on buying until there are a few decent walkthroughs around. I hate getting stuck at one puzzle for weeks.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Kabouter said:
Broken Sword IV is said to be way too hard and only truly enjoyable for the hardcore adventure gamer. Definitely a game I'll hold off on buying until there are a few decent walkthroughs around. I hate getting stuck at one puzzle for weeks.

The game isn't really hard....and is certainly not for the hardcore adventure gamer, gameplay has been really simple (butchered) so far (about halfway thru), but what else is new in 3d adventures land (ugh...to Broken Sword 3, Dreamfall and to a lesser extent Fahrenheit). Maybe the good news is that I haven't encountered a WTF puzzle so far, besides if you are stuck the official site gives hints.

The thing what bugs me the most of the new Broken Sword is that the series always could fall back on it's storyline....and to tell you the truth that part has been a real downer so far, almost nonexistent. So in Broken Sword 3 I kept playing and finished it in 2 evenings, although it has some real short comings. But with this game I play it in much smaller chunks, because I don’t really care about the progression of the story.

And what’s up with the “I see 5 locations on the overworld map, but only visit 2 of them”. Game seems rushed!

Symytry

hadareud said:
Deep Labyrinth (DS) 4
Scurge Hive (DS) 4

That's two bad reviews for Scurge now... and to be tied for score with Deep Labyrinth can't mean anything good. One more bad review and its three strikes -- you're out!

Coop

flipping_heck said:
Just Cause (360) 7
Company of Heroes (PC) 9
Reservoir Dogs (Xbox) 3
Mercury Letdown (PSP) 7
Deep Labyrinth (DS) 4
Defcon (PC) 7
Ridge Racer 2 (PSP) 7
Bomberman (360) 3
Bounty Hounds (PSP) 6
Scurge Hive (DS) 4

Did you play the demo? it wasn't that good.. they gave the second game a 9? Deserved a 5 at the most..

Fusebox

Banned
A 6 for Bounty Hounds isn't bad considering it seems to be a fairly shallow shooter, I'm still keen to check it out.

Bad_Boy said:
what did they say about motorstorm??
this thread is such a tease

Lots. There's an 8 page feature on it. I haven't been following the game, so I don't know how much is new.

There's no Wii info that's new really, but there's a huge double page ad, with just "Wii" written over it, with "wiimoveyou.co.uk" at the bottom right. Nintendo UK look to have kicked off their promos.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
flipping_heck said:
Just Cause (360) 7
Company of Heroes (PC) 9
Reservoir Dogs (Xbox) 3
Mercury Letdown (PSP) 7
Deep Labyrinth (DS) 4
Defcon (PC) 7
Ridge Racer 2 (PSP) 7
Bomberman (360) 3
Bounty Hounds (PSP) 6
Scurge Hive (DS) 4

They gave Broken Sword 3 a 9?!? British bias total.
Until now of course. ;)

Elios83

I've tried the demo of the latest Broken Sword and......oh my god it sucks so much it seems an amatorial game :lol :lol ^^'' It's really a pity considering how great this series was in the PSX age.

pilonv1

ichigo kurosaki said:
If they had any credibility before, they lost it all now. There's no ****ing way that's right.

So you read the magazine regularly and understand the scoring system then?

pilonv1 said:
So you read the magazine regularly and understand the scoring system then?

That's just it. It's a phoned-in update by Namco with a handful of tracks, a couple of song remixes, and maybe a few new cars. It's more of an expansion pack than an actual sequel and Edge gives it a 7? wtf?

ichigo kurosaki said:
If they had any credibility before, they lost it all now. There's no ****ing way that's right.

Too high? Seriously, if you expected any higher from a '1.5 sequel' then you don't know Edge magazine very well at all.

mr_sockochris said:
Too high? Seriously, if you expected any higher from a '1.5 sequel' then you don't know Edge magazine very well at all.

I've actually been reading Edge regularly lately but that's not the point (but yes I know their scoring is pretty ****ed up sometimes)

The problem is not that I think it deserves a higher score but the other way round. The score should've been MUCH MUCH lower, this is the laziest 1.5 sequel I've ever seen/played/known of. I've even seen direct ports with more extra content than this thing. Should have got a 4 tops.

There is a direct quote in the magazine "This is the exact same game that launched with the PSP".

The fact it's similar doesn't mean it's not good. You should rate a game based on nothing but how it plays.

Kittonwy

Banned
hadareud said:
Motorstorm cover

Scores:
Just Cause (360) 7
Company of Heroes (PC) 9
Reservoir Dogs (Xbox) 3
Mercury Letdown (PSP) 7
Deep Labyrinth (DS) 4
Defcon (PC) 7
Ridge Racer 2 (PSP) 7
Bomberman (360) 3
Bounty Hounds (PSP) 6
Scurge Hive (DS) 4

In brackets is the version tested btw.

Why is every other mag having better PS3-related covers than OPM?

Top Bottom