• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Special List: The 100 Greatest Video Games

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's a solid list but I will respectfully have to disagree with their number 1. Blighttown alone is worth bumping it off a good few spots down the list.

Despera

Banned
Isn't Elite: Dangerous still a work in progress? Kind of bizarre to include it in the list when there are some obvious omissions.

It's a solid list but I will respectfully have to disagree with their number 1. Blighttown alone is worth bumping it off a good few spots down the list.
The only thing wrong with Blighttown was the framerate, and that was fixed in the PC version.

woopWOOP

So, is this fan voted? I mean, as a 'Most Popular Games/Franchises List of 2015' this list is probably true, but as a 'GREATEST GAMES OF FOREVER' list?

I'm gonna go ahead guess any future Greatest Video Games list of theirs will have a lot of these new games removed (maybe swapped with future titles, ha) and even some of the classics completely reshuffled.

LordRaiden

Neo Member
Spec Ops: The line
DriveClub

sghf4.jpg

Those are the first of the bottom 10 I didn't even expect to be on the list. Impressive and justified.

redcrayon

Ridiculously focused on relatively recent games with well over half from just the last decade. I suppose they know what their readers want.

If you are going to pick one Fire Emblem, why pick Awakening? It's good because it's accessible, not because it's the best in the series.

Good to see Monster Hunter 4 on there.

ogbg

Seems kind of similar to how I feel actually, although I basically didn't play computer games at all* between like 2000 and 2010.

EDIT: *except Championship (later Football) Manager, which would also be in my top 10.

GrayChild

What feels weird about this list is the almost complete absence of pre-2000 games. Aren't there only 3-4 titles from that period in it?

Tiops

Ok, this is the worst list I've ever seen. And I saw some pretty terrible lists.

The lack of Chrono Trigger invalidates it completely.

Firemind

Ridiculously focused on relatively recent games with well over half from just the last decade. I suppose they know what their readers want.

If you are going to pick one Fire Emblem, why pick Awakening? It's good because it's accessible, not because it's the best in the series.

Good to see Monster Hunter 4 on there.
I'm not Awakening's biggest fan, but it is the most accessible and therefore game-y Fire Emblem in the series. Seems like what they were going for when making this list.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The fact that not a single main series Pokémon game made it onto the list is baffling. I would have thought at least gen 1 would have been on the list, but nope.

I don't agree with the list but eh what can I do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CHC

It's definitely WAY too weighted towards modern games. Certian ones will persist, but many will be knocked off by their next iteration.

For example: Dark Souls will probably be remembered in 10 or so years as one of the true greats, but stuff like GTA V? Everyone will be on to GTA VII or VIII by then, and V will be merely quaint and charming, like Vice City is now.

Breads

Banned
Bloodborne AND dark souls in the top 5?

seems excessive.

It's Edge though. It shouldn't have surprised anyone.

:edit: Strongly disagree with Braid. How is this on anyone's top 100 list? There is nothing that it did first or best.

And Destiny? It may have turned around but I find it hard to believe anyone would ever consider it a timeless classic that must be played, deserving to be in a top 100 all time list.

PillarEN

Good amount of games I would include are on that list. don't care about order. Happy that Katamari Damacy is still remembered. That game should be remastered for every gen. Never forget.

Of all time? The top 10 is awful...

Solid list in general, but the ranking is way off.

*EDIT* Yeah upon further review, the list is poor.

Gbraga

Why would one of the best levels in the game bump it off a good few spots?

Maybe if you said Lost Izalith, but Blighttown? You're crazy.

Syntsui

Puzzle & Dragons above MW4, (one of the most influentional games of the previous generation). I didn't even bother to see the rest, shit list.

Red Hood

Banned
...and V will be merely quaint and charming, like Vice City is now.

At this point I'd say absolutely not. Vice City had personality back then, which is why it's still loved to this day. But GTA V (while an improvement over IV) to me felt lacking in personality. I think mostly to blame because of the present-day setting. I except people to forget about V as people apparently are forgetting about IV.

King_Moc

Banned
They think that Splatoon is the greatest multi player focused shooter ever made and that gtav is the second best game ever. I don't even know what to say about that.

spekkeh

Banned
Going through that list I was literally

81526104.gif

Some nice forgotten classics, and then they completely balls up the landing.

Roxas

shit list, top 3 are great games, but not innovative, not ground breaking. Where's Metal Gear Solid? Or WoW? Doom? Super Mario Bros? GTA 3? Id play all of them above fucking Nidhogg (which is an ok game, but come on...)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, Yoshi's Island was on 10 and 11 in the years 2007 and 2009 but not even on the list anymore in 2015? That must have been some crazy good six years.

By the way, I doubt this is the list of a single person. While I absolutely do not agree with the list (of the top 5, I've only played one game, GTA5, and think it's shit, the others I haven't played at all and that was a concious choice...), it's obvious by the list's diversity that this is not the top 100 of a single person. At least, not the personal top 100 of a single person, according to their taste. It's probably a list the journalists all voted or contributed to, with maybe a single journalist responsible for setting up the final ordering. One that really loves Form Software.

I would love to see what a community voted top 100 games of all NeoGAF would look like in contrast.

Saven

Banned
This is the worst clickbait/list garbage I have ever seen. Apparently gaming began like 10 years ago based on how heavily biased this list is towards the ps3/360 Era onwards.

ogbg

It's definitely WAY too weighted towards modern games. Certian ones will persist, but many will be knocked off by their next iteration.

For example: Dark Souls will probably be remembered in 10 or so years as one of the true greats, but stuff like GTA V? Everyone will be on to GTA VII or VIII by then, and V will be merely quaint and charming, like Vice City is now.

It seems more like they're going for a list of games to recommend someone to play now rather than a timeless canon.

Is LBP3 a typo? I love that series but that's by far the weakest entry - not even media molecule. This list is actually pretty confusing generally.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Bomberman?

I hope that's just a listing for the series in general because that's definitely a game where the sequels improved on the formula.

For example Bomberman II is the game that introduced battlemode, which the series is famous for.

The best games to play right now, ignoring influence and historical significance.
If this is the purpose of the list then Bomberman is even more confusing since you're better off playing the other games in that series, even Act Zero lol

EDIT: And I just noticed the name of the poster I was quoting lol

tim.mbp

I'd say Hotline Miami missing is a little weird. It reviewed well in Edge and I think it holds up pretty well compared to the sequel.

Bomberman?

I hope that's just a listing for the series in general because that's definitely a game where the sequels improved on the formula.

For example Bomberman II is the game that introduced battlemode, which the series is famous for.

DYNABLASTER IS LEGIT

So, Yoshi's Island was on 10 and 11 in the years 2007 and 2009 but not even on the list anymore in 2015? That must have been some crazy good six years.

By the way, I doubt this is the list of a single person. While I absolutely do not agree with the list (of the top 5, I've only played one game, GTA5, and think it's shit, the others I haven't played at all and that was a concious choice...), it's obvious by the list's diversity that this is not the top 100 of a single person. At least, not the personal top 100 of a single person, according to their taste. It's probably a list the journalists all voted or contributed to, with maybe a single journalist responsible for setting up the final ordering. One that really loves Form Software.

I would love to see what a community voted top 100 games of all NeoGAF would look like in contrast.

Oh, of course. Most lists provided by gaming news organizations such as EDGE are the composite of general voting from their staff, not the sole work of one particular member. An individual's list would likely reflect a more distinct taste and voice, and probably be a more interesting list than this one.

Tamanator

I really love arbitrary top 100 lists. Is this what outlets like Edge get their interns to do when they no longer need any coffee made?

King_Moc

Banned
Bomberman?

Is the Saturn one just called bomberman, because that's the one they should really be picking.

dugdug

Banned
Imagine only picking ONE Metal Gear game for a top 100 list, and, picking the worst one on top of that.

Kjell

What feels weird about this list is the almost complete absence of pre-2000 games. Aren't there only 3-4 titles from that period in it?

87 - Puzzle Bobble (1994)
82 - Bomberman (1983)
63 - Castlevania SotN (1997)
60 - Earthbound (1994)
57 - Puyo Puyo (1991)
31 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991)
21 - Super Metroid (1994)
15 - Super Mario World (1990)
13 - Super Mario 64 (1996)
08 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
06 - Tetris (1984)

:-(

Top Bottom