• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

eGames - The eSports Olympics

Jebusman

Banned
So this happened:

Link: http://www.egames.org/

Launched as part of the London Games Festival, on April 6th 2016, the eGames is an international gaming tournament where national pride is the prize.

Supported by the UK Government, this not for profit initiative, has been set up with the aim of positively shaping the future of competitive gaming.

In line with other globally established sporting events, the eGames will be a medal only competition, with the opportunity to take home the gold.

The first planned event is a two-day pop up in Rio during the Olympics to showcase the eGames to the world of competitive gaming and attract further partners.

Each country will have a squad (eTeam) of gamers (male and female - over 18) playing in team and individual games.

Participants will compete for medals: Gold (1st Place), Silver (2nd Place) and Bronze (3rd Place).

More detailed information will be announced in April and May.

eSports Olympics. Are you ready?

On paper looks good, but I have read a lot of eSports personalities on Twitter this past hours not really happy with being "medals only", as "not worthy to travel our asses without some money on the line".

Oh well, let's see how this evolves.

Pakkidis

Good idea in theory but unless countries are willing to pay for the airfare/rooms not to many people are going to compete.

I always thought this was an awesome idea and I hope to see it succeed. Should not be yearly though.

My choice for games?
LoL
CSGO
Street Fighter V
Rocket League
Quake Live

Entropia

No One Remembers
In paper looks good, but I have read a lot of eSports personalities on Twitter this past hours not really happy with being "medals only", as "not worthy to travel our asses without some money on the line".

Oh well, let's see how this evolves.

No doubt this whole thing will go poorly

In regards to your statement, it sounds like these eAthletes want something like most Countries do for their Olympains read here; http://moneyramblings.com/money-olympic-athletes-earn/

Jebusman

Banned
I'm at least a little curious about the team setup. They've apparently already got 4 countries to agree to it (US, Canada, UK and Brazil).

Like, if Canada has a national "Dota" team, who the fuck would we put on it? Who COULD we put on it?

Would EE or Arteezy or Aui even be allowed to go and compete? Would they even want to?

Good idea in theory but unless countries are willing to pay for the airfare/rooms not to many people are going to compete.

Yeah, there's a sort of circular issue with this kind of concept. Need a wide base of players for it to be interesting to sponsors & nations, but you need the money from sponsors & nations to attract players.

I'm sure you'd get a few representatives willing to fly out to compete for their home country, but not enough to draw a wide audience.

I'd like to see this succeed, though. It would be one of the easiest ways to give people an entry point into eSports, since people would have a team to root for by default.

DrArchon

OK, let's assume this doesn't crash and burn before it gets off the ground.

What games do you pick? Do you include things like head to head Tetris and speed runs that are absolutely competitive but not generally seen as eSports? Do you just have Street Fighter and ignore the millions playing Smash? Do you only have LoL and ignore the huge scenes for Dota and Smite? Do you pick CSGO and not have the CoD bucks coming in? Do you include Heathstone, which is a video game but also a card game?

Too messy to have an esports Olympics imo.

This is going to be slim pickings for a while or it will fail because i don't think players care that much about medals and national pride. Unless they can live off a gold medal with no history and no money at the end of that tunnel. Its a lose, lose situation for the competitors. Plus they get none of the sponsor outlook and i doubt they would really go to this instead of something else. When they have the ESL Majors, DreamHack major, MLG Majors, a new China Major, new Faceit/ESC major and the E league with huge prize pools? not a chance.

Seems like a waste time and it won't be that serious, as i suspect mostly tier 2 or 3 teams will be showing up. Not crowds pleasers.

OK, let's assume this doesn't crash and burn before it gets off the ground.

What games do you pick? Do you include things like head to head Tetris and speed runs that are absolutely competitive but not generally seen as eSports? Do you just have Street Fighter and ignore the millions playing Smash? Do you only have LoL and ignore the huge scenes for Dota and Smite? Do you pick CSGO and not have the CoD bucks coming in? Do you include Heathstone, which is a video game but also a card game?

Too messy to have an esports Olympics imo.

That's what the committee is for. If they can do this for real sports in the actual Olympics I'm sure it's possible here. People will be left out but they can't support everything.

The biggest problem with this is these guys need to make money. If they start picking games because the publishers shell out money they won't exhibit the best competitive games. If they need to depend on console makers for money it will be console games, if it PC hardware companies it will be PC. It doesn't have a large enough following to make money off viewership.

FinKL

Very interesting to see this happen. I find it funny that there are only "pride metals" on the line as if the UK committee is just trying to gauge interest without throwing too much money. Kind of like a proof of concept to investors to say "Hey look! This thing is going to take off!"

I think that before something like this gets launched, we need to make playing competitive games an actual job with a guaranteed income like it is with all other sports that are at the Olympics. It's like that in places like South Korea, but this needs to be a global thing.

This kind of thing looks to be a bit premature overall, even though I like the idea.

Jebusman

Banned
The other part of this that makes it a bit tricky aside from the lack of prize money, is the 18+ requirement for participants. I understand it's likely the same for the normal Olympics, but there are a fair bit of high tier players under 18 years of age that wouldn't be eligible for this.

I can't believe the negativity in this thread. Someone's trying to set up an event to bring eSports to the rest of the world and with the respect and professionalism we've been screaming for. Years from now it could be as big as the Olympics and it'll all start here.

But nah, it's gonna be shit. Let's all give up and go home.

bjork

I can't believe the negativity in this thread. Someone's trying to set up an event to bring eSports to the rest of the world and with the respect and professionalism we've been screaming for. Years from now it could be as big as the Olympics and it'll all start here.

let's not get crazy here

Quonny

It's called being realistic.

No announced prize pool. No incentive. Four months away and the games aren't even announced and won't be for a month.

This has failure written all over it.

It's called being realistic.

No announced prize pool. No incentive. Four months away and the games aren't even announced and won't be for a month.

This has failure written all over it.

Not saying there won't be teething problems. But no one's talking about how to avoid/solve them just how it'll be dead on arrival.

Come on people, at least talk about how it's a positive step.

Quonny

Not saying there won't be teething problems. But no one's talking about how to avoid/solve them just how it'll be dead on arrival.

Come on people, at least talk about how it's a positive step.

If this crashes and burns it'll just show big corporations and investors that there isn't a future in this.

So I'd rather there be nothing than a giant failure.

Deadly

I'm at least a little curious about the team setup. They've apparently already got 4 countries to agree to it (US, Canada, UK and Brazil).

Like, if Canada has a national "Dota" team, who the fuck would we put on it? Who COULD we put on it?

Would EE or Arteezy or Aui even be allowed to go and compete? Would they even want to?
We've got EE, Arteezy, Moon, Aui, and 1437. Statistically, this would be a pretty awesome team.

They'd never want to compete in such a thing though. If there's a decent prizepool, the Chinese teams would totally go (if it doesn't conflict with anything else).

Bert

Wow, it's like people have never heard of the Olympics. Of course there's no prize money!

The bigger issue for me is if it's happening every 4 years, that's almost a generation between events so the games will certainly change and there'll be no consistency between medals.

I suppose you could do it by genre (Shooter, FPS, Football, Fighter, etc) but a category that can be SFV one tournament and SSB6 the next doesn't seem right.

If this crashes and burns it'll just show big corporations and investors that there isn't a future in this.

So I'd rather there be nothing than a giant failure.

I see what you're saying, but I feel like they already know there's a future in this. Hard to ignore the millions of people already tuning in to something that's not mainstream. It's not going to kill eSports.

Jebusman

Banned
You are aware that Olympic medalists get money, right?

But not FROM the Olympics. The individual countries essentially put bounties on the medals for their citizens. The US I think is around $20,000 per gold medal. So unless they plan on having a similar program, and I can't imagine they would offer the same kind of cash, then effectively there is no prize money in the olympics.

BiggNife

Can't see anyone showing up if there isn't a prize pool.

Wow, it's like people have never heard of the Olympics. Of course there's no prize money!

But also the Olympics are the fucking Olympics.

This is a first year event with no track record trying to piggyback off of the Olympics.

Those are two very different things.

It's a start, off course it's not going to set the world on fire.
But who knows, maybe in 8 years, it will become a huge thing where every pro gamer is going to represent it's country (and get lots of publicity etc).

I just hope they are making it for a broad audience and not just the hardcore gamers and keep it lighthearted, I personally would love a thing like Splatoon in stead of some hardcore moba.

KraytarJ

Canada's Dota team would actually be legit, just think:
Envy
Arteezy
Moon
Aui
If that team was made it would actually be pretty good all things considered.

If you aren't willing to represent your country without being paid a stupid amount of money then I don't want you there. Good riddance. Goes against the spirit of it.

dommynick

League of Legends would never be part of this tournament, they keep their competitive scene under lock and key, they get very few LANs, even fewer international LANs, and and just one international LAN that isn't directly run by Riot themselves.

They tried this whole thing before in a similar fashion, it was called World Cyber Games. It had a long run, but ultimately went down in flames as a pathetic, poor quality event.

If you aren't willing to represent your country without being paid a stupid amount of money then I don't want you there. Good riddance. Goes against the spirit of it.

Never understood this logic, if you bring in revenue to your governing body or organization, you should be paid accordingly. Then again, I was never into zealous nationalism. Also what's with this assertion that there's no money in the Olympics? The vast majority of countries pay athletes for medals they earn, and athletes in popular sports get paid just for taking part in the competition.

tootsi666

They tried this whole thing before in a similar fashion, it was called World Cyber Games. It had a long run, but ultimately went down in flames as a pathetic, poor quality event.
And World Cyber Games had great prizepools (in some games at least). This one has nothing going for it.

Top Bottom