• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM Live 04/30/2007

http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/Podcasts/EGM/043007.mp3

Special guest John Ricciardi joins us from the land of the rising sun for this week's EGM Live. The former EGM editor shares his thoughts on the gaming scene in Japan, an insider's view of how Japanese games get localized for the English-speaking market, his perspective on Xbox 360 in Japan, and stories of the olden days of Sendai Publications... Plus, a new question of the week and a bonus live* Pokémon segment!

Here it is.

bigfatgameguy said:
Special guest John Ricciardi.
These guests are the only reason I put up with the constant talking over each other every few weeks.
Most people in other podcasts manage to listen to each other.

Akia

Really ace podcast this week.

I'm suprised john tv didn't bring up some Lost. I was kinda hoping he would.

was it Michael Donahoe that got his PS3 stolen?

and anyone with the Matrix Reloaded, screen cap of Shane in the Matrix is needed.

Thoren

Banned
What RPG is 8-4 studios working on thats being done in English and Japanese at the same time? My first thought was Lost Odyssey but I don't think Microsoft would outsource something that big.

Hmm.. Maybe it's one of the DS RPGs?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Fun podcast this week, I wonder if Shane is gonna stay as host.

Also, great subject, pretty informative for everyone.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
nm. got it. wonder what will jennifer tsao do since i read that shane is host this week

alisdair

This episode and the one with Che Chou have been the best I've heard. The others kinda go nowhere.

I'm still halfway through. Do they eventually tell us why 8-4 is so-named? I can't think what the gaming reference is. Anyone?

Linkzg said:
was it Michael Donahoe that got his PS3 stolen?

and anyone with the Matrix Reloaded, screen cap of Shane in the Matrix is needed.

Hahaaa I wonder if that Donahoe guy got punked for his PS3 :lol

anyone with the Matrix Reloaded, screen cap of Shane in the Matrix is needed.

I was thinking the same thing when I heard this episode yesterday :) It would be soo funny to see a screen cap of Shane in the Matrix lol

akachan ningen said:
I love when Shane hosts. I think Tsao is nice and all, but her voice irritates me to hell.

I agree with you 100% Whenever Tsao hosts, the show seems to loose it's purpose.... Her voice is annoying along with Greg Ford's and she hardly if ever makes a good point or says anything interesting at all.

Also why do people hate on Shane? I always have thought that he was one of the most legit guys on their along with Bryan Intehar and John Davidson.

I loved the talk of Japan as well :D

Hmmmmmmmmmm 8-4 could be the date his games ship from his localization company

or the score given to a game.

"Shoe, are you the kind of person that skips cut scenes?" lol

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
My only problem is this:

Shane "What is the current state of gaming culture in Japan?"
John: "Well I thi-."
Shane: "When I was last in Tokyo, thats right, the captial of JAPAN! I noticed something of interest! I'm an everyday Japanese!"

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Thoren said:
What RPG is 8-4 studios working on thats being done in English and Japanese at the same time? My first thought was Lost Odyssey but I don't think Microsoft would outsource something that big.

I'm thinking Eternal Sonata, since they did do Baten Kaitos.

8-4 made me think of Super Mario Bros. So had a quick look.

world 8-4 is the last level of the original Super Mario Bros. Maybe thats it.

MrPing1000 said:

ohhhhh, that makes sense.

Great podcast, really funny. The pokemon battles were hilarious.

MrPing1000 said:

You actually had to look that up? I don't think that's it, that is way too obvious.

john tv

Thanks for the comments, guys. :)

8-4 is indeed named after the final stage of Super Mario Bros.

Here's a work-in-progress photo of the directory we spoke about during the 'cast (courtesy of a young Shoe):

tampered.jpg

JavaMava

Awesome I'm so glad I got to see that pic. I clearly remember you guys mentioning decapatato back in the day. I even remember an odd drawing off it... have I really been reading that long? *rereads Ed Simrad's farewell article*

john tv said:
Thanks for the comments, guys. :)

8-4 is indeed named after the final stage of Super Mario Bros.

Here's a work-in-progress photo of the directory we spoke about during the 'cast (courtesy of a young Shoe):

tampered.jpg

I've got the answer to the trivia question John Ricciardi....... Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance for the GBA 10/10

I think I'm right..........

reriel

Thoren said:

maybe eternal sonata ? but I would love if they made lost odyssey one. BKO had a pretty good localization.
john give us atleast a hint.

Zerostatic said:
You actually had to look that up? I don't think that's it, that is way too obvious.

In my defence it's been ages since I played Super Mario Bros. Only have it via All-Stars. Don't have any of the rererererererereleases.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
InterMoniker said:
I agree with you 100% Whenever Tsao hosts, the show seems to loose it's purpose.... Her voice is annoying along with Greg Ford's and she hardly if ever makes a good point or says anything interesting at all.

Oh definitely. She hardly ever contributes anything meaningful. Also, what exactly does she do at EGM? It sounds like she just hounds people at deadline to turn in articles.

InterMoniker said:

get outta here. Her voice is cute and she makes me laugh.

loose it's purpose, what the hell is that suppose to mean?

Top Bottom