• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM scores and rumors thread (Sept 05 issue)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just downloaded the issue:

Cover story is Soul Calubir 3. apparantly some exclusive info in the mag

Rumors:

-Next gen SSX will feature surfing. Skiing and snowboarding will still be included. Don't be surprised if another extreme sport is added
-Lego Star Wars is coming back, this time covering the original trilogy (Episode 4-6)
-Recently, Sega signed on Secret Level to remake one of its franchises. It turns out that Sega is looking for more developers in the West to remake some more classics like Space Harrier, Daytona and Goldenaxe. Silicon Knights anyone?
-Da Vinci Code game is coming out around the same time as the movie's release
-Mechwarrior developer FASA is retooling Shadowrun for the X360. It'll be different from the SNES/Genesis game.
-Although Bioware, iD Software, and Valve have exclusive PS3 games being developed, the three will also be developing for the X360.

Scores:

Multiplatform
Madden 06: 8.5, 9.0, 9.5 (GOTM)
The Incredible Hulk: 9.0, 7.5, 9.0
Fantastic 4: 6.0, 7.0, 4.0
Batman Begins: 6.0, 5.0, 5.0

PS2
Makai Kingdom: 7.5, 8.0, 7.5
Eyetoy: Play 2: 8.0, 7.5, 8.0
Fullmetal Alchemist 2: 5.5, 6.0, 6.0

Xbox
Sid Meir's Pirates!: 8.0, 8.5, 6.5

Gamecube
Geist: 6.0, 4.5, 5.5
Sonic Gems Collection: 6.5, 5.5 6.5

PSP
Midnight Club 3: 7.5, 8.5, 7.5
Death Jr: 4.0, 4.5, 6.0

DS
Advance Wars DS: 9.0, 8.5, 9.0
Pac N Roll: 7.5, 6.5, 6.5
Nanostry: 5.0, 5.0, 5.0
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory: 1.5, 4.5, 5.5

Next EGM issue: All things Final Fantasy (Crisis Core, Advent Children, Before Crisis, Dirge of Cerebrus). Screens, info and all that jazz.

I sorta wanted every1 to be wrong about Geist o well.

Death Jr ho ho! :lol

Yay for advance wars DS (damn what a stupid name)

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory: 1.5, 4.5, 5.5

Oh my. I wish I could say the Geist score surprised me.

The Death Jr. score is somewhat surprising. The game looked like it could've been interesting.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
can't wait for AWDS :)

Man Nanostray was smacked 5s all over the board not good

Geist :lol so much for THE FPS of the GC.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
rumors are posted in the original post. gonna scan the mag now for any interesting tidibts, and i'm out

Bluemercury said:
Care to explain?

If yearly releases of madden and crappy movie licenses game didn't sell they wouldn't be made. And if they are popular most magazines will give them better scores, imagine a zelda game getting a score of 6, the magazine would get a lot of hatemail, it's the same with madden, I guess

Mrbob

Sports gamers rule this industry. Football in USA. Soccer in Europe and Japan.

Hey, I like Psychonauts as much as the next guy and own the game. But it is pretty stupid to knock Madden buyers for not getting Psychonauts. Sports gaming is the backbone of the NA industry. Football in particular. Don't get mad at them if they don't want to buy a niche platforming game.

..pakbeka.. said:
If yearly releases of madden and crappy movie licenses game didn't sell they wouldn't be made. And if they are popular most magazines will give them better scores, imagine a zelda game getting a score of 6, the magazine would get a lot of hatemail, it's the same with madden, I guess

You can thank that to the mainstream market.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
GTA PSP preview: Rockstar says missions should provide 80-120 hours of gameplay

wtf shiggy's face :lol

Mrbob said:
Sports gamers rule this industry. Football in USA. Soccer in Europe and Japan.

Hey, I like Psychonauts as much as the next guy and own the game. But it is pretty stupid to knock Madden buyers for not getting Psychonauts. Sports gaming is the backbone of the NA industry. Football in particular. Don't get mad at them if they don't want to buy a niche platforming game.

Well soccer is another matter, i mean soccer destroys any American sport, no offense to the American people( well except Bush) , i do like nhl but really there's no sport that touches Soccer.......that's a beatiful game....and PES well there's nothing to be said that is new regarding this game.

AniHawk

Mrbob said:
I'm guessing the reviewers got mad about removing content for the USA version?

That'd be a fucking retarded reason to knock it. I wanna know about load times, slowdown, save features, quality of gameplay, etc... What went wrong?

Ironclad

Great scores for AW DS. Interesting score for Sonic Gems Collection. I want to know what they said about it as well. They probably scored it lower because of the content that was removed, but I sure hope that they ported the games well.

Mrbob

I'm not gonna make my comments on soccer. :)

Missed this the first time!

-Although Bioware, iD Software, and Valve have exclusive PS3 games being developed, the three will also be developing for the X360.

Whats up now, Gabe?!?! The way I'm reading this, PS3 will have three exclusive games and then get a multiplatform game beyond that which will also be on X360! Hmm perhaps MS should have stayed with Nvidia.....not from a hardware standpoint but software developer standpoint. They all seem to love Nvidia more than Ati.

I don't think I was *ever* excited for Death Jr, GaimeGuy. Ever. My agenda kept me from publicly mocking it, but I'm also completely unsurprised that it turned out crappy.

Truth be told, I'm surprised Midnight Club 3 PSP got the scores it did -- it's pretty weak. Still, whatever helps keep the PSP on top in the US is fine by me!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Wario64 said:
-It turns out that Sega is looking for more developers in the West to remake some more classics like Space Harrier, Daytona and Goldenaxe. Silicon Knights anyone?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bluemercury said:
When an American sports game from EA wins GOTM you know this industry is going downhill..........

Even though I don't play them myself, my understanding is that many of the EA sports games including Madden are high-quality games, whether or not you like the sport and/or its origin.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Drinky Crow said:
I don't think I was *ever* excited for Death Jr, GaimeGuy. Ever. My agenda kept me from publicly mocking it, but I'm also completely unsurprised that it turned out crappy.

Respect for you +1 :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
quick summarization of Shiggy interview:

EGM: Mario 128, where the fuck is it
Shiggy: blah blah blah, we were busy, we're still experimenting with a lot of stuff, mario 128 is still a concept design, blah blah

EGM: online play, why so late?
Shiggy: We didnt like business model (paying monthly fee, servers). Our model will have no fees, will be easy to connect

EGM: GC, GBA connectivity. What a joke huh?
Shiggy: Yeah, stupid consumers thought it was all confusing and shit with the cables. Oops, we should have communicated the concept better! With DS, we have the mic, the dual screen, and wi-fi in the system, so it has everything built in and easy to use.

skipping to the end...

EGM: Smash Bros for Rev confirmed...what about DS?
Shiggy: Still thinking about it.

EGM: Luigi's Mansion, will the series continue:
Shiggy: The game director says "Make another one! Make another one!" and I want to use Luigi again.

EGM: Will there be another Pikmin game?
Shiggy: Nothing set in stone, but Rev's interface is well suited for Pikmin.

There's also something about Iwata but im too lazy to read it

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Mrbob said:
I'm not gonna make my comments on soccer. :)

Missed this the first time!

Whats up now, Gabe?!?! The way I'm reading this, PS3 will have three exclusive games and then get a multiplatform game beyond that which will also be on X360! Hmm perhaps MS should have stayed with Nvidia.....not from a hardware standpoint but software developer standpoint. They all seem to love Nvidia more than Ati.

I don't think it's that. I think it's the market in general. 150,000 sold on a PC game is tremendous, but, they see Bioware with KOTOR and Bethesda with Morrowind, or even Fable and Peter Molyneux, doing over 500,000. There is major money to be on consoles. My thing is, will their games be picked up by are substantial number of PS3 owners. I will have one, meaning a PS3. Current controller config rules out FPS games for me on it. However, for the others that does own a PS3, will they get the games they make? That is the million dollar question

sangreal

Mrbob said:
Whats up now, Gabe?!?! The way I'm reading this, PS3 will have three exclusive games and then get a multiplatform game beyond that which will also be on X360!

The wording is poor, but I believe the rumor is more that those companies will be making PS3 exclusives. It says right on Bioware's website that they are working on 2 xbox 360 games, so its not much of a rumor.

Hmm perhaps MS should have stayed with Nvidia.....not from a hardware standpoint but software developer standpoint. They all seem to love Nvidia more than Ati.

This is true for Bioware and iD perhaps, but Valve is very much in bed with ATi and Microsoft.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
EGM: You said the that Revolution controller would be unique-- do you worry about it alienating developers?

Iwata: Well of course, the idea is that the revolution will sell sell and sell so it becomes the standard in the industry. However at least for the launch period... we design the controller so it can play any type of different conventional styles. After all we're talking about it playing games from our past machine. so don't worry about that.

seems what Teddman saw was indeed a prototype of some sort after all he did say the controller was pretty normal.

Top Bottom