• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring director Hidetaka Miyazaki has a "strong will" to make an Armored Core 6 follow-up, because "there's still room for improvement"

Q73rfyeQVUp6Z6M2tSFEhA-650-80.jpg.webp

FromSoftware president and frequent director Hidetaka Miyazaki claims that the studio's mecha-action series Armored Core has a very sturdy future ahead, unless the game's dystopian vision comes to pass.

The Armored Core series began life in the late 1990s with massive explosions, excessive oil spillage, and anti-corporate themes - all timeless ideas that powered the big mechs across almost three decades before Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon dropped in 2023 to much acclaim and the studio's second-biggest PC launch to date.

"The Armored Core series is very important to FromSoftware," Miyazaki said in an interview with IGN Japan, translated by FandomWire. "We have a strong will to continue it in the future. I believe Armored Core 6 was a success."
But despite pleasing fans with mechs big enough to cover half of Elden Ring's map, the famed director reckons "not everything was perfect" in the game. "There is still room for improvement, so I have no intention of stopping there," Miyazaki adds. Armored Core 6 enjoyed a bunch of post-launch updates that added ranked matches and much-needed buffs for certain cool weapons, but has yet to receive the proper expansions that FromSoftware's SoulsBorne games usually do.

Retaining and empowering talent is what helped the studio release AAA games so rapidly, according to Miyazaki, so the studio could feasibly work on the Elden Ring DLC or another project simultaneously with an Armored Core 7, which sounds like an inevitability at this point.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Praise the effin' sun. It's time to modernize the series and make it something more than just traditional AC with Souls elements. It can be so much more and so much better presented in terms of story, characters and all of that, like Front Mission 5 did it for example.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The question is this “follow-up” is going expansion or going to be separate release similar to pervious AC games like AC For Answer?

DonF

Gold Member
considering that every AC games has had an expansion release later, I didnt buy AC6 thinking that.

Lorianus

Armored Core would be fun again but i personaly want From Software to return to Gundam

They did one of the best Gundam games ever on the PS3

Last edited:

Danjin44

I wonder if new FromSoftware fans hot off Elden Ring will buy the sequel? I reckon many did not gel with ACVI.
Armored Core VI did pretty well sales wise especially for Mecha game which is not all that popular.

For me I want to see FROM continue make Armored Core game.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
I just wish they would do something “original.” It seems they are truly at their best when they are creating a new IP and just going for it.

mortal

its time for bloodborne 2... dont waste your time on armored core.
"Waste" lol. AC6 did well commercially, there's a dedicated audience for the series that finally gets attention after almost a decade of dormancy.
FromSoftware themselves want to make more, and Armored Core fans want more.

Also whether or not a Bloodborne 2 happens is not up to them, as Sony own the IP.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
"Waste" lol. AC6 did well commercially, there's a dedicated audience for the series that finally gets attention after almost a decade of dormancy.
FromSoftware themselves want to make more, and Armored Core fans want more.

Also whether or not a Bloodborne 2 happens is not up to them, as Sony own the IP.
It would make more sense for Sony to hand Bloodborne 2 to Blue Point, that worked on the Demon’s Souls remake.

I don’t think FS has any say in it, and it doesn’t make business sense now to make an exclusive title.

Dark Souls and Bloodborne are the modern Kingsfield and Shadow Tower. I don't see them ever doing a straight sequel to either of those.
I love the referenced games, but the first person perspective is an entirely different vibe and experience. More methodical and immersive.

Last edited:

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Give us a deeper story. This BB/DS like storytelling does not fit for AC.

Last edited:

GrayChild

Great news! Armored Core 6 was a friggin' masterpiece.

Keep'em coming, FROMSoftware. It's not like you're not one of the very, VERY few companies still worth something nowadays.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Are you god damn kidding me?

Stop drinking the koolaid. I want my story from the game and not interpreted by Simple Jack from the internet. Give me fucking awesome cutscenes, the option to gather the best weapons without grinding the same mission over and over through NG+, and other QOL improvements.

mortal

It would make more sense for Sony to hand Bloodborne 2 to Blue Point, that worked on the Demon’s Souls remake.

I don’t think FS has any say in it, and it doesn’t make business sense now to make an exclusive title.
There's still the rumor that Bluepoint might make the sequel.
I'm not entirely opposed to it, but my ideal scenario is that Sony and FromSoftware agree to work together once more for a proper sequel. Do it right or don't do it at all imo.
Bluepoint's Demon's Souls remake was awesome, but recreating someone else's vision is a lot different than crafting a new one.

Based on their continued publishing and funding of titles developed by 3rd party studios, I can still see the possibility of a Bloodborne sequel happening in the future.
The game sold very well and the demand from gamers still hasn't gone away. The ball is pretty much in Sony's court here.

The monumental success of Souls-era FromSoftware even helped expose Armored Core to new audiences that were fans of their other games, especially in the wake of Elden Ring.
A Bloodborne sequel developed by FromSoftware would benefit Sony a lot more than giving it to Bluepoint.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I'm not entirely opposed to it, but my ideal scenario is that Sony and FromSoftware agree to work together once more for a proper sequel. Do it right or don't do it at all imo.
Bluepoint's Demon's Souls remake was awesome, but recreating someone else's vision is a lot different than crafting a new one.
I was thinking more like FROM would work on the project in an advisory role.

mortal

I was thinking more like FROM would work on the project in an advisory role.
I understand, but I would still prefer Sony to choose FromSoftware. They inspire many imitators for good reason, their artists and designers are just a different breed.
I'd want to see what Bluepoint can do with an original IP, before handing them something like Bloodborne.

Danjin44

I understand, but I would still prefer Sony to choose FromSoftware. They inspire many imitators for good reason, their artists and designers are just a different breed.
I'd want to see what Bluepoint can do with an original IP, before handing them something like Bloodborne.
For me I'm not desperate enough for Bloodborne 2 that I’m willing to get it from just any dev just to have Bloodborne 2.

Either FROM themselves make Bloodborne 2 or I don’t need it.

Top Bottom