• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
Felt like something was missing and I figured it out.
I know this is small and maybe stupid complaint, but the opening cutscene was lame imo. Where other games had full CG openings that set the stage, ER has some panning shots of a few still images. Felt super low budget to me. It’s just little things that’s been hanging in my mind this whole time. Starting the other souls games you really got a good sense of the world and some awesome visuals to go with it when you start, it gets you hyped for the adventure. In Elden Ring tho, it’s like they didn’t care as much. Staring at some still images while a guy speaks over them wasn’t the most hype thing they could do.

For every 2 awesome things in this game there’s 1 that’s not so awesome. Overall still a fun experience though, because I can’t stop playing so I guess it doesn’t matter that much in the end.

I can't decide if I want to keep using claymore or more to ugs... the same hard decisions with every souls game :p
New game! we don't know all the info as far as what's best and spending your upgrade materials. I'm a samurai so what the hell just going with the Uchicoochie because thats the way the Japanese intended it to be even if its the not the best.

Different build than I have (quality but using STR weapons rn). Rolling so often like that to get away wasn’t an option for me as I’m currently fatrolling. Fair enough, I guess I can take off all my armor and just do this, but I still think that’s kind of lame. Can’t use guard counter, parries, guard break, jumping attack, etc. Just fight him like every boss in DkSIII.

It’s weird that Tree Sentinel was right at the beginning and seems like the only boss where using the new mechanics was actually helpful.

Anyways thanks for finding me a path forward that doesn’t feel like cheating lol.
Pro tip - never ever fat roll in Souls.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Holy shit. I found the wolf howl solution. I went to go clear up one of the Evergaol bosses and…

He’s summonable. At the Forlorn Hound at least.

Matchew

I haven't tried it yet in Elden Ring, but in other souls games you could still two-hand a weapon that you have picked up where you don't meet the strength requirement. By two handling, you essentially reduce the strength requirement by half (I think). Great for those that don't use a shield or if you just want to try out the weapon.
Yeah I noticed you can do that in Elden Ring. I rely too much on the shield. Guess I should practice without the shield some.

GHG

Gold Member
Holy shit at the number of new areas that keep on opening up in this game. Ended up in Sellia, if you know you know:

Was going about my business exploring and looting, then I opened a chest and got kidnapped away to some crystal cave with a bunch of miners. Was thinking oh, cool, lots of loot, let me just explore... Then I got fucking one shotted by some giant cockroach looking thing. Absolute nightmare fuel. The red sky outside was even more unnerving.

My face when I finally managed to make it outside and saw the distance it was from everything else when I went to fast travel back...

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What is considered the starting zone? Just the first map? I have the northern and eastern maps unlocked. I’m level 30 and have scoured the first map pretty well

Essentially the starting area of LImgrave. up until post Stormveil and before rot-infested lands to the east. Everything else can be considered the starting zone.

ssringo

Ran into a boss fight designed by a couple virgins. It's a shitty boss encounter for what was a really cool "oh shit, callbacks!" area.

If that doesn't ring a VERY specific bell in your head, don't click spoiler. Unless you simply don't care.

After getting eaten by the iron maiden on wheels you get transported to a volcanic area. The boss is TWO of the iron maiden on wheels called "Virgin Abductors" (lulz). 2 bosses at the same time has always sucked and these two assholes are the worst.

One zips around trying to crash into you and grab you (which hurts even if you "struggle" with the shoulder buttons) while the other alternates between tossing axes and pretending to be the Texas Tornado. And unlike other From boss fights with multiple enemies they don't give a shit about hanging back a little while you engage their partner.

Rage quit. Time for lunch.

Last edited:
Holy shit at the number of new areas that keep on opening up in this game. Ended up in Sellia, if you know you know:

Was going about my business exploring and looting, then I opened a chest and got kidnapped away to some crystal cave with a bunch of miners. Was thinking oh, cool, lots of loot, let me just explore... Then I got fucking one shotted by some giant cockroach looking thing. Absolute nightmare fuel. The red sky outside was even more unnerving.

My face when I finally managed to make it outside and saw the distance it was from everything else when I went to fast travel back...
What's even scarier is that you're weapons do sweet fuck all damage to the miners and the prawn looking creatures. You have to just get the fuck outta there. That place has nope written all over it.

Last edited:

Majukun

got the bloodhound fang and now i'm regretting choosing prisoner as a class, having a mix of spells and attacks is great but now i would need an investment of +7 on str to be able yo use it...and since it's two handed i would need to stop using spells...

gave a look online though and many people seem to love it, so i'm tempted to do the investment

SJRB

Gold Member
Like all Souls games this game likes making you feel like you're on top of the world, only to get absolutely wrecked in the next area.

Fuck Liurnia, man.

Yeah, you must be right and the whole community wrong. Lol.
some neckbeards on "reddit", is not "the whole community" lol, also think for yourself instead of parroting what some ppl on a subreddit say; also people in here also say he's not the hardest, so I guess just stay out of this OT seeing as how you don't agree with this community; lol.

Matchew

Game is incredible. If I am not playing, I'm thinking about it. Long time since a game has got me like this.

Buying Witch Queen was a mistake. No time for that shit anymore.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
some neckbeards on "reddit", is not "the whole community" lol, also think for yourself instead of parroting what some ppl on a subreddit say; also people in here also say he's not the hardest, so I guess just stay out of this OT seeing as how you don't agree with this community; lol.
I’m not parroting anything lmao. I finished the all games and found him the hardest boss in the whole series. I’m not sure why this is bothering you.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Almost feels like a placeholder, honestly. Even OG Dark Souls had stuff like "Soul of a warrior" or "Soul of a proud knight", at least somewhat indicating the strength of the soul.
yeah I’m having a hard time understanding some design decisions they made in this game. Some enemy positioning feels all over the place and some dungeons have no reward at all. But all in all, I’m really enjoying the game.

So you’re triggered because the whole community is finding Margit hard. Got it.
So you're so triggered by this mid level difficulty boss you forgot you already posted that; got it, don't worry, we'll still be here for you once you have to fight harder bosses and need to cry again.
Or just post the same message again to confirm your trolling nothing contribution to this community.

Swift_Star

Banned
So you're so triggered by this mid level difficulty boss you forgot you already posted that; got it, don't worry, we'll still be here for you once you have to fight harder bosses and need to cry again.
Or just post the same message again to confirm your trolling nothing contribution to this community.
Sweetie, you’re triggered. There’s no reason to continue this conversation. I just made a post to say I had trouble with Margit, you replied with a snark comment, trying to be clever and pretending to be superior, and that shows you’re clearly triggered. I really don’t understand why that is, but I don’t care, you’re literally nobody to me. But I’m putting you in ignore because I have better stuff to do than talk to people like you in the internet. Have a nice life.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Margit is kicking my ass. Upside is I've gotten real close. I have Guts Greatsword now, so it's only a matter of time.

gIXMZHs.jpg

Swift_Star

Banned
I assholed Margit, because my Uchi caused bleed or stagger or something I just hit him like 4 times in a row at like a third health and he just suddenly popped.
I was like WTF……I broke him.

games amazing.
I read bleed is a really good stat to inflict him, but I fucked myself by going with a str build.

Top Bottom