• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

GHG

Gold Member
I'm not sure if I'm loving the caster/melee hybrid builds

the incantations are great but I did some co-op and a samurai type build just seems like a blast

currently level 45 confessor. might actually re-roll yet again (3rd time) and save me other 2 characters for the future.

I sorta rushed through a lot of the game story/exploring wise because I was playing in short bursts due to work

might start again and take my time to really appreciate it, it's that good

I know I just brought this up, but it seems weird you can't buff certain weapons with incantations. only works on weapons that can be upgraded with the regular smithing stones if that makes sense. I was really hoping on making a build where the primary play style is to buff my weapons. is this normal in these games? what's the point of having weapon buffs if the majority of decent weapons can't use them

Yeh that's normal for souls games. If the weapon already has a status effect in built to its default attack then most of the time it can't be enchanted through magic spells.

The best thing to do is find the strongest base weapon you can (that you can equip of course), upgrade it through the normal path and then manually put magic/poison/etc on it via your spells. You get a lot more versatility that way. Even if I'm not doing a faith/sorcery build I always get enough faith/int to be able to use the spells that allow you to manually enchant weapons.

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned
Alright I'll check but I haven't been a fan of magic in the souls.

The few streamers that I watched were playing very defensively so it was hard to tell.Fluidity is a godsend because I know a lot of people like the weight the souls have but I always felt that although realistic it ampered greatly my enjoyment of the game.I thionk I really need to play it for a few hours before having an opinion on it.
Other than artstyle that, from the few videos that I watched, seems awesome even though technically dated (not that it is a problem to me).

I play basically with zero defence, just like souls games.

But I play pure mages always, so it is bit different. Like pure as in no armor, vitality at base level or almost, and just using sorcery spells.

So, there is no defence as the dude dies from 1-2 hits, the gameplay is just timing roll evades just right and spamming spells like Gandalf on crystal meth.

Compared to souls this feels bit different even with my playstyle, roll evade time window feels shorter, aka to time evade rolls you have to do it more correctly and perfectly than on souls. But after that I can evade 99% of attacks, even if im too close to the enemy. Also I think that my mage rolls bit faster on this than on souls, like he feels more nimble etc.

Otherwise playing mage feels so far little bit less powerfull than on souls, I have now 22 mind and 40 intelligence, but spells still dont do really high damage compared to what they did on the begining. But maybe I find more items and spells to make my mage as powerful as on souls, where mage can basically burn any boss easily in few hits and nothing but your failure to evade stuff kills you.

Should I explore more and come back to him? Don't wanna be burned out on the first guy
He's very easy.

Keep your distance. Wait until he does his charge attack and roll backwards towards his horse just as he's about to wack you. You'll end up right on the horses ass after his strike animation is complete and he will be facing away from you. Then give that horses ass a nice kiss and a tap or two but dont be greedy and then back off.
Wait for the charge attack again. Rinse and repeat.
It might take a few minutes but you'll eventually take him out. Basically just attack him after he's done the charge attack. Don't take a chance trying to get in hits any other way.

Of course you can explore more and always come back to him stronger. But if you're patient you can take him out.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

yea the frenzy invader with the scythe and magic attacks , really bullshit fight this , im glad i dont have many runes otherwise i would be pissed
Reminds me a bit of an invader in the scarlet rot swamp area with his uninterruptable sword combos that he can pull of in succession. Had to use some cheese to do eventually kill him. 👀

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
game tells you that no combat is allowed at the round table ................yet here he is .

It's the reward for being too curious and jumping over the balcony.

There's a really good weapon down there though but the faith requirements are too high for my current build.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
It's the reward for being too curious and jumping over the balcony.

There's a really good weapon down there though but the faith requirements are too high for my current build.
i jumped over the balcony cuz i had no idea how to leave the round table , turns out all i had to do was fast travel through map

shubik

Damn, I finally was able to beat Margit only to get my ass kicked by this fucking knight in stormville castle in that dark room. I´m a prisoner so usually, I fuck shit up with sorcery from distance. But its so freaking dark in that room, that I have to use the torch. This dude is killing me. Any advice?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I play basically with zero defence, just like souls games.

But I play pure mages always, so it is bit different. Like pure as in no armor, vitality at base level or almost, and just using sorcery spells.

So, there is no defence as the dude dies from 1-2 hits, the gameplay is just timing roll evades just right and spamming spells like Gandalf on crystal meth.

Compared to souls this feels bit different even with my playstyle, roll evade time window feels shorter, aka to time evade rolls you have to do it more correctly and perfectly than on souls. But after that I can evade 99% of attacks, even if im too close to the enemy. Also I think that my mage rolls bit faster on this than on souls, like he feels more nimble etc.

Otherwise playing mage feels so far little bit less powerfull than on souls, I have now 22 mind and 40 intelligence, but spells still dont do really high damage compared to what they did on the begining. But maybe I find more items and spells to make my mage as powerful as on souls, where mage can basically burn any boss easily in few hits and nothing but your failure to evade stuff kills you.
All of this is interesting but I'm sorry I can't get past the image of an half naked Gandalf high on meth babling incantations...And it gets better when you just imagine him in a street totally high (with of course no magic) cursing cars and pedestrians.

Lux R7

i'm playing offline, so no clues from other players etc..
the sense of adventure is off the charts, i'm loving every second of this game

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You can use fast dex based weapons and roll for defense (that's my own style), it's fast paced that way. Boss and large ennemies need to be timed for defense roll or you'll be crushed in 2-3 hits.
There's save points near every hard fight and very quick loading (on PS) so you're back to the spot quickly after death, or you can go any other way to explore there's always others caves, towers and open bands to take on. You can also use spirit summon like a pack of wolves, it help quite a bit.

There's still strong boss/encounters but you can level up elsewhere and come back with better stuff.

I'm 15 hours+ in and still not done with the first area of the game, found a hidden area much larger than any dungeon, found several unique key items that unlock whole section of gameplay or feature (like how to summon spirit, you need a specific item that you can totally miss during normal exploration) without using a guide but being curious and methodic.
Now i'm a bit worried maybe i'll miss others important items...
Thank god the spawn points are near bosses now, it was a pain in the ass in Bloodborne (others too but I mostly played BB) to have to get back to the boss.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Damn, I finally was able to beat Margit only to get my ass kicked by this fucking knight in stormville castle in that dark room. I´m a prisoner so usually, I fuck shit up with sorcery from distance. But its so freaking dark in that room, that I have to use the torch. This dude is killing me. Any advice?

You can buy a lantern from a merchant in the "second" zone which is actually totally accessible without beating the first big boss. Depends if you want to "skip ahead" or not. The lantern is placed on your hip, you don't need to equip it for more light.

shubik

You can buy a lantern from a merchant in the "second" zone which is actually totally accessible without beating the first big boss. Depends if you want to "skip ahead" or not. The lantern is placed on your hip, you don't need to equip it for more light.

oh that's a great idea. Will try that out.

kingfey

Banned
HFW will sell more than Elden Ring in the end...and most of those sales will still be on PlayStation.
The first game sold over 20M copies . How many From Software games sold over 10M copies let alone 20M? lmao

Also, Elden Ring was supposed to be released at January 21st...From Software delayed it after Horizon already had its final release date.

Also, over 70% sales decrease on week two for physical sales is not weird in any way...specially for the physical charts. Usually it's the biggest fanbases than buy the games physically and from pre-orders, etc...
Elden ring might sell more than 10m copies, since its an open world.

This time, it has steam users, so I wouldn't count on that one. Might crack up to 15m though. Especially with that open world tag.

kingfey

Banned
Sony were dumb for releasing horizon a week before elden ring, even from their own ecosystems perspective. From games probably sell the most on playstation, especially from the japanese market. Sony conditioned the general public to play From games on their platforms having exclusives souls games for it every gen.

They should have released it the day Sifu release, and sifu could have released a week before elden since im sure the drop off was severe for it anyway
Both games got delayed. There was not enough time to change the release date.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
These goats fucked around and found out...
giphy.gif

EruditeHobo

Just wondering if any of the souls/from vets are going through bosses without using the summons?

They obviously make an insane difference in difficulty. I'm a from newb, but it's very apparent in 1st proper story boss in the castle -- I went from struggling to get him to 2nd phase, to a few attempts with the jellyfish and getting him down to something 10-15% a few different times.

Anyway... I'm pretty sure I'm well leveled for the fight at 30, but I'm struggling with the timing and avoiding damage. I put in a lot of hours this past weekend and am really loving it so far. The dungeon bosses have been really fun to go through "clean", without using the summons or coop or anything, but for someone like me who's not a good souls/from player it's clear the proper bosses are a different level.

Last edited:
Solid sales. UK market is irrelevant though, but it does help us look at trends.

It seems everyone has moved onto the PS5 despite shortages.
UK market is irrelevant? Not to us it isn’t.

Any single countries sales stats are basically irrelevant in the scheme of things. Good to hear it’s selling well.

Ogbert

yea the frenzy invader with the scythe and magic attacks , really bullshit fight this , im glad i dont have many runes otherwise i would be pissed
Just keep your distance and wear him down. He only has one or two flasks, so don’t get concerned about the heal. Avoid the missiles and then wait for him to do the three hit combo. Roll into it and nab a couple of hits.

If you’re playing samurai, unsheathed R2 melts him.

SJRB

Gold Member
I feel like the only person who purchased this on disc, the other 9 people I know who purchased this game on Xbox went digital.

I guess I'm one of the rare people that still like to leave a game case on the shelf.

I still buy disc because it saves me 15 bucks per game.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
You can also use an item later to respawn dead NPCs so doesnt have to be a perma death for em
Awesome news as I accidentally killed a lady.

Just wondering if any of the souls/from vets are going through bosses without using the summons?

They obviously make an insane difference in difficulty. I'm a from newb, but it's very apparent in 1st proper story boss in the castle -- I went from struggling to get him to 2nd phase, to a few attempts with the jellyfish and getting him down to something 10-15% a few different times.

Anyway... I'm pretty sure I'm well leveled for the fight at 30, but I'm struggling with the timing and avoiding damage. I put in a lot of hours this past weekend and am really loving it so far. The dungeon bosses have been really fun to go through "clean", without using the summons or coop or anything, but for someone like me who's not a good souls/from player it's clear the proper bosses are a different level.
I summon whenever I hit a wall. I don't feel bad about it:
1) it's my first playthrough
2) there are something like 70 or 80 boss fights
3) it's a game mechanic, intended for use by the dev
4) crafting the summon item is super easy since it only requires basic materials

I don't feel I'm missing out on anything when I summon. Stillwater Cave is a good example of when I chose to summon. That place stinks.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Which zone are you exploring after Limgrave? North? Or East?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
thanks ......i feel i may have upgraded the wrong weapon and wasted some precious stones and now im desperate

You can unlock the ability to buy lvl 1-3 stones after beating a specific dungeon, don't sweat it too bad.

I'm not summoning other players but I am using the summon spells sometimes yeah, the one I have is just a bunch of mindless drones that can distract the boss for a few extra hits. It just feels like a spell rather than a cheese, and you pick up so many that it feels like a pretty core component.

Vets of different levels will always play the game in a way that's more difficult than someone else. There's a dude out there who beat DS 1-3 in a row without taking a single hit. The only wrong way to play these games is cheat engine, everything else is part of the experience whether you fight bosses naked or go in with friends.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I've racked up 32 hours so far so I've been quite far and wide, I actually went south first to check out the peninsula. Main story is NW and I advise not going too far east just yet.
I went north without issue.

Get south of Limgrave if you haven't already.
I've went as east as I could without leaving Limgrave... weird shit ahead. I also explored the southern peninsula (which is still Limgrave I think).

Thing is I got my ass handed to me in Liurna a few times (those white wolves are specially though) and I was wondering if maybe I should have went east instead of north, but I guess it's fine going north.

Last edited:

imsosleepy

That fuck is jelly fish. And where do I get it?
jelly is one of the ashen ghosts that u can summon if u got the summoning bell, u can also upgrade them. probably gonna need to find up a youtube video on how to get these :) try searching on summoning spirits

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I've went as east as I could without leaving Limgrave... weird shit ahead. I also explored the southern peninsula (which is still Limgrave I think).

Thing is I got my ass handed to me in Liurna a few times (those white wolves are specially though) and I was wondering if maybe I should have went east instead of north, but I guess it's fine going north.
That's the beauty of the game--go wherever you want to. South of Limgrave is a Castle. There's a bunch of stuff west of that too, though it's closer to the bridge to actually get there. If you haven't done those 2 areas, I would recommend it.

Another thing to remember: when you're out in the open world, you do not have to engage every pack of enemies you encounter. Hop on your hose and run past. I usually run around on the horse trying to find new resting spots before I get too deep into the actual fighting. I mark with my map any areas to come back to whilst running around.

RafterXL

So, this might be my favorite game of all time. It's without a doubt top 5! The only real negative I can think of is that I generally like open world games, but this game may have just ruined quite a bit of them for me. The complete lack of hand holding and sheer brilliance of having a world that feels like an actual world and not a themepark where you jump from ride to ride is unmatched. It highlights just how shallow most of these games are. The best part is the game has dozens and dozens of jaw dropping moments without having to rely on cinematic set pieces and blockbuster movie camera angles and cutscenes.

Anyway.

There is something I've seen both here and elsewhere that keeps popping up. Too many people are freaking out about upgrading their weapons. Just do it. Especially the first handful of levels, because not only are upgrade materials everywhere but you can buy them later anyway. Also, starting weapons can carry you through the entire game so you can't really mess up by upgrading.
thanks ......i feel i may have upgraded the wrong weapon and wasted some precious stones and now im desperate
See above.
Its the weapon then. I did less damage with my +1 greatsword at SL20.

He's not among the hardest FROM bosses to me (Ludwig, Laurence, Alonne, ISS, Flamelurker are all harder imo, considering melee builds). But he isn't easy either. He's just fline. I figured him out by fighting him a lot, never looked at any footage. And yeah, his aerials, dashing strikes and stab is the way to punish him.
Easy was the wrong word. More like easy, relative to other bosses. He's mid tier, and I think, well tuned.
Hmm. I am kind of interested in getting this. Maybe I am buying into the hype. I have watched some YouTube vids. I have never played a Souls game and have just finished off every achievement in another game I had been playing for quite some time.

My concerns is... if the game mechanics are the way you 'get gud' then is it basically becoming a game where you have YouTube opened to find this/do that/craft this/go there/etc. I rarely buy full price games and as many, have a huge backlog, so I am iffy on this.
Honestly, this is the best kind of game to play without YouTube or a guide. I've yet to look up anything I haven't already completed and I think doing so would only hurt the experience. The beauty of this game, as opposed to every other open world game, is that exploration and discovery are so much more rewarding. Sure, it's obtuse, and you will miss things, but everything you find will be because you found it, not because of a quest waypoint, a question mark on the map, or because you scanned it with a tower. Most games like this, even the ones I really enjoy, are wide as the ocean, shallow as a puddle. This game is deep, and intricate, and awe inspiring, and if you're willing to go where it takes you you'll come away with an amazing experience, whether you find every little secret or not.

Also, don't stress out about "git good". It's an overused phrase that doesn't actually mean much. The Souls games are less about being difficult and more about rewarding patience and perseverance. If you can learn from your mistakes you'll be fine.

Most likely the combat will make or break how you feel about the game. If you're really worried, buy one of the other Souls games on the cheap. If you're cool with them you'll be more than fine with Elden Ring. What system would you be buying it on?

Just started today...any tips for a new player?
Take your time. Explore. Use the map markers. Learn mounted combat because it helps tremendously once you get the hang of it.

Have fun.

That fuck is jelly fish. And where do I get it?
It's an Ash Spirit. You can find it here:

Talk to Roderica at the Stormhill Shack (multiple times) or catch her at the Roundtable, she'll give it to you. It has a ton of HP and shoots ranged poison so is great for when melee spirits get wrecked.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Some items just make jokes of the bosses which I fear could ruin the challenging aspect of the game in the future once all weapons/spells/items combo's have been figured out... 👀

ruin the challange ?! The best thin about open world games without stupid world leveling with you, is the fact you get to know your shit.
Nobody stopped me in morrowind to go pick up the best gear from the get go

TintoConCasera

The best part is the game has dozens and dozens of jaw dropping moments without having to rely on cinematic set pieces and blockbuster movie camera angles and cutscenes.
Yes! I've lost count of the amount of times I've said to myself "holy shit!" while playing this game. Game's full of cool things, amazing bosses and crazy susprises.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Just keep your distance and wear him down. He only has one or two flasks, so don’t get concerned about the heal. Avoid the missiles and then wait for him to do the three hit combo. Roll into it and nab a couple of hits.

If you’re playing samurai, unsheathed R2 melts him.
finally beat him , it was my +7 spear with its damage and superior reach that fucked him , also got a sneak attack on him

AV

It's insane, really. Most amazing world design I've ever seen.

I'll try to keep this vague, but if you haven't been kidnapped or gone down a very long elevator yet, there's much more to come.

SLB1904

Banned
So, this might be my favorite game of all time. It's without a doubt top 5! The only real negative I can think of is that I generally like open world games, but this game may have just ruined quite a bit of them for me. The complete lack of hand holding and sheer brilliance of having a world that feels like an actual world and not a themepark where you jump from ride to ride is unmatched. It highlights just how shallow most of these games are. The best part is the game has dozens and dozens of jaw dropping moments without having to rely on cinematic set pieces and blockbuster movie camera angles and cutscenes.

Anyway.

There is something I've seen both here and elsewhere that keeps popping up. Too many people are freaking out about upgrading their weapons. Just do it. Especially the first handful of levels, because not only are upgrade materials everywhere but you can buy them later anyway. Also, starting weapons can carry you through the entire game so you can't really mess up by upgrading.

See above.

Easy was the wrong word. More like easy, relative to other bosses. He's mid tier, and I think, well tuned.

Honestly, this is the best kind of game to play without YouTube or a guide. I've yet to look up anything I haven't already completed and I think doing so would only hurt the experience. The beauty of this game, as opposed to every other open world game, is that exploration and discovery are so much more rewarding. Sure, it's obtuse, and you will miss things, but everything you find will be because you found it, not because of a quest waypoint, a question mark on the map, or because you scanned it with a tower. Most games like this, even the ones I really enjoy, are wide as the ocean, shallow as a puddle. This game is deep, and intricate, and awe inspiring, and if you're willing to go where it takes you you'll come away with an amazing experience, whether you find every little secret or not.

Also, don't stress out about "git good". It's an overused phrase that doesn't actually mean much. The Souls games are less about being difficult and more about rewarding patience and perseverance. If you can learn from your mistakes you'll be fine.

Most likely the combat will make or break how you feel about the game. If you're really worried, buy one of the other Souls games on the cheap. If you're cool with them you'll be more than fine with Elden Ring. What system would you be buying it on?

Take your time. Explore. Use the map markers. Learn mounted combat because it helps tremendously once you get the hang of it.

Have fun.

It's an Ash Spirit. You can find it here:

Talk to Roderica at the Stormhill Shack (multiple times) or catch her at the Roundtable, she'll give it to you. It has a ton of HP and shoots ranged poison so is great for when melee spirits get wrecked.

jelly is one of the ashen ghosts that u can summon if u got the summoning bell, u can also upgrade them. probably gonna need to find up a youtube video on how to get these :) try searching on summoning spirits

Thanks I'll get that

Belthazar

Why are devs still making games for last gen? The sales of those consoles are poor.

By your logic they shouldn't have bothered making games for Xbox either, as the boxed sales for it were abysmal there. But thankfully you're not a game exec, because:

1: both of those games started development five-or-so years ago, so they would always be planned as a PS4/X1 release which were upgraded for current gen.

2. Boxed sales in a single country aren't nearly as relevant as you think in this aspect, especially since boxed sales tend to be made by more hardcore users, which would obviously have moved on from last gen by now.

3. Also, due to the current gen owners crowd being made up by more enthusiasts at this point, the sales of a new hyped release will be more front-loaded there, while the more casual players that are still behind a generation will buy it whenever.

Last gen sales were certainly stronger than those stats show and will remain to sell a healthy amount.

And even if they didn't and the uk-boxed charts magically reflected the worldwide total share for that game. Imagine 20 million sales in total for both Horizon and Elden Ring: even if only 20%/30% of those sales were on last gen machines, that would equate to 4/6 million copies... which would be more than enough to justify releasing the game there (the games were made for the old consoles anyway)

Last edited:
Top Bottom