• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring release interview with Miyazaki

JohannCK

Lots of stuff including a clearer explanation about what Tarnished are, what GRRM contributed to the writing, the reasoning behind various game design choices, and more.

JeloSWE

When fix PC performance, I can't see any mentions on that front in the interview. Sigh, I guess I have to wait longer before buying then.

Last edited:

Plantoid

It's the best game I've ever played and sometimes I couldn't believe just how good it was, the replayability is just fantastic and the main selling point for me

but with that said, I expect performance patches and more importantly, to fix some bugs and balance some stuff

Weapons that have elemental DMG and natural arcane scaling are bugged, some of the coolest weapons fall in this category

Dark spells are worthless and lots of sorceries and miracles need balance, some spells do 10k+ DMG while others that cost more and take longer to set up deal 1k~

I think poise needs balance as well, katanas are too overpowered right now, greatswords and colossal swords could get a buff, bleed needs to be less effective, more rare or more hard to apply, strength weapons could gain a increase in scaling as well

YukiOnna

Yeah, I read this the other day. Appreciate the translation of it like with the Sekiro release interview since they're insightful without being spoiler-y.

Regarding the method of storytelling in Elden Ring, Miyazaki says that it remains the same as in the Dark Souls series, with fragments of information in the text, with the intention being for players to piece them together or imagine what happened themselves. The primary reason is that they want the gameplay itself to be the players’ stories.

Like this bit the most since it's probably the point people miss when they're frustrated by the fragmented story or feeling like they're forced to watch a lore video.

JohannCK

Yeah, I read this the other day. Appreciate the translation of it like with the Sekiro release interview since they're insightful without being spoiler-y.

Like this bit the most since it's probably the point people miss when they're frustrated by the fragmented story or feeling like they're forced to watch a lore video.
Moreso than before, I feel like trying to piece together the lore is part of your character's story itself. You can be a meathead who runs in and just does whatever, you can be someone who only listens to one side of the story and sides with a specific faction because of it, and of course you can always still be someone who wants to know everything (which, incidentally, is what one of the NPCs in Elden Ring basically is) and make decisions based on that. The story isn't the lore itself but how much of the lore you know and how you react to it, which ties in to the multiple ending system where multiple people ask you to choose them but it isn't immediately clear what their endings entail.

Fredrik

When fix PC performance, I can't see any mentions on that front in the interview. Sigh, I guess I have to wait longer before buying then.
I haven’t had any performance issues worth talking about in over 25 hours. It’s 60fps 99% of the time with an occasional rare freeze which can come several hours apart.
Nothing special PC: 3800x+16GB+3070ti

JeloSWE

I haven’t had any performance issues worth talking about in over 25 hours. It’s 60fps 99% of the time with an occasional rare freeze which can come several hours apart.
Nothing special PC: 3800x+16GB+3070ti
That's not the case for most people. There are both slow downs when loading new areas and a lot of DX12 shader compile stutter.
Area loading slowdowns might be difficult to alleviate but other devs doesn't suffer this incompetence. Secondly, why are they not precompiling the shaders at the start of the game like so many other does to avoid this issue.

Secondly, how can they call fluctuating fps of 45-50 a performance mode on PS5. And the Quality version can't even lock on to 30 fps.

From Soft is such an incompetent developer, especially on PC. I loved DS Remake that BluePoint did, not only was it a locked 60fps, it was beautiful as well. It made me wanting to play Elden Ring, luckily I have stopped preordering games as they always release with issues these days. I wonder how long I'm going to have to wait to play ER, I'm still waiting to play Bloodborne until it's available in 60fps.

Fredrik

That's not the case for most people. There are both slow downs when loading new areas and a lot of DX12 shader compile stutter.
Area loading slowdowns might be difficult to alleviate but other devs doesn't suffer this incompetence. Secondly, why are they not precompiling the shaders at the start of the game like so many other does to avoid this issue.

Secondly, how can they call fluctuating fps of 45-50 a performance mode on PS5. And the Quality version can't even lock on to 30 fps.

From Soft is such an incompetent developer, especially on PC. I loved DS Remake that BluePoint did, not only was it a locked 60fps, it was beautiful as well. It made me wanting to play Elden Ring, luckily I have stopped preordering games as they always release with issues these days. I wonder how long I'm going to have to wait to play ER, I'm still waiting to play Bloodborne until it's available in 60fps.
It’s hard to say if it’s most people, usually you only hear those who have problems. For me it’s running well, I’m even playing in ultra, but I only have a 1080p screen so that probably helps.
What you could do is buy it and try it and refund if the performance is bad, you have 2 hours so rush through the starting cave so you get to see the open world performance.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

It’s hard to say if it’s most people, usually you only hear those who have problems. For me it’s running well, I’m even playing in ultra, but I only have a 1080p screen so that probably helps.
What you could do is buy it and try it and refund if the performance is bad, you have 2 hours so rush through the starting cave so you get to see the open world performance.
Tnx for the genuine tip but I'll be waiting for some official patch before giving From Soft my money, I do not support this incompetence from any developer.

Top Bottom