• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring surpasses 20 million sales

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There is, level up more, take the easier fights first, find better gear before taking more challenging fights, its an action RPG afterall.

If you find a fight that is way too difficult, this mostly means you are either under leveled or under geared, the difficulty in this game is very balanced and manageable.
Agreed. Having summons make almost every fight easy mode. Get a blasphemous blade build with the mimic tear, pretty much nothing can stop you.

hemo memo

Gold Member
C’mon Elden Ring and TotK, you are ruining the “single player games are dead” narrative that the industry executives are running with to approve their latest, most likely to fail next GaaS projects.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Add an easy mode and we'll make it 20 million and one.
What if I told you there was already an easy mode? It's using the Spirit Calling Bell. It's an entirely optional item and using it makes the game significantly easier. I used it during my playthrough because I thought it was just a cool new gameplay feature but I regretted using it at times because it was too easy and there was no fun at all in using it against bosses. On my next playthrough I'm not going to bother using it.

Some people get too held up on the idea that "easy mode" has to be a setting you adjust in the menu. That's not how From Software games work.

Skifi28

I'm ashamed to say I'm still barely 15 hours in. The game is a bit too open for my tastes and it kills my motivation when I don't have a clear goal what I should be doing next or I have the fear of missing some cool gear/spell in some tucked away optional dungeon. I much prefered the more linear approach of the previous games, it helped me in pushing through. Not saying it's bad or anything, I will get to finishing it eventually.

Chiggs

Isn't this old news?

From February:

Isn't this old news?

https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-sells-20-million-units

It did this back in February. What new about this?

Edit: beaten.

Took that long?

No, it was announced in February. Not sure why this is popping up now.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I knew I wasn't crazy. 20 mil sales is old news. Anyway, The Convergence mod is out so I've been playing it again lately. It will help tide me over til D4.

GHG

Add an easy mode and we'll make it 20 million and one.

Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

Wait, there's more:

pmf6Y6J.jpg

clown GIF

The negative intentions/contributions to this medium from you guys never cease to amaze me.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Actually.. if you spec around Comet Azur, this game is basically butter. Couple that with mimic tear and you're the Elden Ring now!
Takes awhile to get comet azur and 60 intelligence is a mountain to climb if you start off thinking it’s too difficult.

Magic builds in general makes the game easier though, glintstone pebble + rock sling and meteorite staff is a nice early game combo. Rock sling actually stayed til the end for me.

GHG

Ok boomer :messenger_tears_of_joy:

source.jpg

Imagine not playing elden ring because you can't be bothered to spend a bit of time learning the mechanics of the game due to thinking you need to mindlessly rush through hundreds of games a year on easy mode like a junkie.

One of the best games the medium has ever had to offer and you won't play it for that reason? Sad.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
source.jpg

Imagine not playing elden ring because you can't be bothered to spend a bit of time learning the mechanics of the game due to thinking you need to mindlessly rush through hundreds of games a year on easy mode like a junkie.

ohyou.jpg

Imagine getting this bent over more options that don't effect your enjoyment of a product at all.

Last edited:

GHG

ohyou.jpg

Imagine getting this bent over more options that don't effect your enjoyment of a product at all.

Nope, we've had this discussion hundreds of times before and the developers decided it wasn't worth their time catering to "gamers" like you who likely wouldn't appreciate it anyway. 20 million sales and hundreds of awards later prove that they really didn't need to waste their time in creating an arbitrary "easy mode".

So you're left with 2 options:

1. Be a rational hunan being, play the game and realise there are dozens of reasons why the game doesn't need and "easy mode".
  2. Cry, and continue to cry about an "easy mode" you will never get

adamsapple

Be a rational hunan being, play the game and realise there are dozens of reasons why the game doesn't need and "easy mode".

LegalJointAtlanticspadefish-max-1mb.gif

From are missing out on even more millions of sales but it is their prerogative, just as asking for more options is mine.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: GHG
While I'm not Into Souls games, I get that it's obviously a great game.
You would think that for a game to hit this level of sales, it would need to hit the mainstream. I could not see the mainstream playing this game for any real amount of time.

Madflavor

The variety of builds, weapons, spells, ashes, and approaches to how you progress through the game, is one of the best and most natural Difficulty Mode integrations I’ve seen in gaming. Once you figure things out, the game is as easy or hard as you make it. It’s part of why I think Elden Ring deserves its place in the mount Olympus of gaming.

Ar¢tos

I could see them add an "easy mode" setting in the character creation screen and all that would do would be lock the character class as a sorcerer, and maybe, add a few more starting items.

Fredrik

Get a blasphemous blade build with the mimic tear, pretty much nothing can stop you.
That’s a mid game boss weapon, those who think the game is too hard are struggling far earlier, 25% who started the game on Steam actually never beat Margit.

My advice for anyone who think it’s too difficult is to focus on magic and glintstone pebble and intelligence. Do safe exploring and upgrade until you’re around level 20, with focus on intelligence and some points on vigor and mind. If grinding is preferred then the troll outside of third church of Marika is easy fast runes early on. As soon as possible, rush into Caelid to get meteorite staff and rock sling in the swamp ruin, don’t attempt to fight anything, just ride in and grab the stuff and leave.
Then, at level 20-25, try Margit. Don’t forget to spawn Rogier. And don’t give up.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

I wonder what the total completion rate is for consoles only since that's the only platform without cheats or mods to make the game easier.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Takes awhile to get comet azur and 60 intelligence is a mountain to climb if you start off thinking it’s too difficult.

Magic builds in general makes the game easier though, glintstone pebble + rock sling and meteorite staff is a nice early game combo. Rock sling actually stayed til the end for me.
...Or you can use easy mode mod or/and cheats and still have fun. 😉

Its just wasn't worth it for me to research particular builds for more then a bit here or there. I know, blasphemy.

Fredrik

...Or you can use easy mode mod or/and cheats and still have fun. 😉

Its just wasn't worth it for me to research particular builds for more then a bit here or there. I know, blasphemy.
I don’t judge, have fun 👍

But I think most people here play on console, without cheat mods. And it has always annoyed me when looking at Youtube guides that people show off these insane late game builds and have a level 150 character and claim it’s the way to make the game easy-peasy. Even just reaching the mimic is a mountain to climb, most will use the starter wolves for a long time, the early game struggle is the real barrier for most people who want easy modes.

StereoVsn

I don’t judge, have fun 👍

But I think most people here play on console, without cheat mods. And it has always annoyed me when looking at Youtube guides that people show off these insane late game builds and have a level 150 character and claim it’s the way to make the game easy-peasy. Even just reaching the mimic is a mountain to climb, most will use the starter wolves for a long time, the early game struggle is the real barrier for most people who want easy modes.
Oh yeah, that's a great point. These builds are great...100 hours into the game. But most folks would love to actually have fun for those 100 hours, lol.

adamsapple

Oh yeah, that's a great point. These builds are great...100 hours into the game. But most folks would love to actually have fun for those 100 hours, lol.

exactly-yes.gif

Smokken

Banned
The game isn't super hard, it's all about memorizing attack patterns for the most part. You can just grind to OP level anyway early on. What makes the game difficult is the horrible controls and camera system. It's like they deliberately made them clunky for added difficulty.
I don't think I've ever played a game with more frustrating controls than this. This has been an issue with all Souls games imo. Great game, but nowhere near the hype.

Fredrik

Yeah it reminds me of old wow talk where it was said the game started at level 65. Not a fan of that thinking.

In ER I actually set out to just have fun, never thought I would ever reach the end since I haven’t finished a single Souls game. I think that made it less frustrating early on for me, I just enjoyed the world and explored what I could explore and levelled up that way and didn’t rush into any boss fights.

Eventually I reached Margit… That was something else. Nearly gave up right there. But I didn’t and afterwards everything became easier from all the mechanics I had learned during my struggles.

Knightime_X

Nope, we've had this discussion hundreds of times before and the developers decided it wasn't worth their time catering to "gamers" like you who likely wouldn't appreciate it anyway. 20 million sales and hundreds of awards later prove that they really didn't need to waste their time in creating an arbitrary "easy mode".

So you're left with 2 options:

1. Be a rational hunan being, play the game and realise there are dozens of reasons why the game doesn't need and "easy mode".
  2. Cry, and continue to cry about an "easy mode" you will never get
How come every time the undefeatable option of choice is mentioned people instantly move the goal post? 🤣
Leave the devs scapegoat out of this.

Last edited:
C’mon Elden Ring and TotK, you are ruining the “single player games are dead” narrative that the industry executives are running with to approve their latest, most likely to fail next GaaS projects.

Even worse... they are ruining the narrative that casuals are too stupid play games that don't show you the way with bright glowing icons every step and no NPCs that spoil the puzzles after two seconds.

Who could've thought that problem solving actually makes games appealing!

Last edited:
Top Bottom