• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elebits preview up on IGN

I've been looking forward to this game more and more as it inches closer to release.

Now I can put this on my buy list for sure. Looks like yet another one of those quirky games that I buy Nintendo consoles for.

Amir0x

Banned
jarosh said:
we're still not sure if that's japan only though, right?

no the developer blog specifically says the reason the game was delayed from the US launch was to add WiiConnect24 support for Elebits for North America.

The BAD news is that it won't work until Nintendo decides to actually activate WiiConnect24 abilities for gaming... and when that will come, nobody knows

jarosh

Amir0x said:
no the developer blog specifically says the reason the game was delayed from the US launch was to add WiiConnect24 support for Elebits for North America.

The BAD news is that it won't work until Nintendo decides to actually activate WiiConnect24 abilities for gaming... and when that will come, nobody knows
ign said:
While the Wii Connect 24 service is not yet operational in the US, the game will work online whenever Nintendo chooses to begin the service.
wow

headwall.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
yeah it's kinda like saying "well it might as well be cancelled", but i have hope. Reggie said early 2007, i think, last i heard... so I'm hoping that means January and not April :lol

jarosh

Amir0x said:
yeah it's kinda like saying "well it might as well be cancelled", but i have hope. Reggie said early 2007, i think, last i heard... so I'm hoping that means January and not April :lol
actually the last thing he said was Q2 2007

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Anybody notice that games that are designed specifically around the Wiimote are getting the most widely-held praise?

3rd Party Exclusives PL is interested in
Elebits
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Dragon Quest Swords
SSX Blur
Red Steel
No More Heroes

Non Exclusive 3rd Party Games PL is interested in
NFS Carbon
Madden 07

This list is starting to get longer, and they all include games where the words "shoehorned-in control" don't apply at all. NINTENDO ARE YOU LISTENING? 3RD PARTIES ARE YOU LISTENING? DESIGN ORIGINAL GAMES AROUND THE WiiMOTE TO CRITICAL PRAISE!

Seriously. Nintendo was on to something when they realized that every 3rd party game worth a shit on their system would effectively be an exclusive. Hopefully 3rd parties realized the same thing too. ;)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Zoramon089 said:
SSX Blur IS exclusive

from EA? Yeah right. Unless I'm completely mistaken, EA doesn't make exclusives.

...unless they're going the THDJ (wii) / THP8 (ps3/360) route...?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PantherLotus said:
Anybody notice that games that are designed specifically around the Wiimote are getting the most widely-held praise?

3rd Party Exclusives PL is interested in
Elebits
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Dragon Quest Swords
SSX Blur
Red Steel
No More Heroes

Non Exclusive 3rd Party Games PL is interested in
NFS Carbon
Madden 07

Corollary:
If --and a ****ing huge MAJOR if-- this 3rd party exclusive list of games I'm interested in becomes greater than the list of 1st party games that I'm interested in...Nintendo wins. Give me a huge exclusive RPG, a fighting game, a legitimate racing game (i'm thinking rally here), a huge RTS, a couple sims or two...and the system will have been worth the money. And, I think it can happen, outside of the huge RPG.

fusoya59

While the Wii Connect 24 service is not yet operational in the US, the game will work online whenever Nintendo chooses to begin the service.
ugh nintendo, i hate them sometimes. i just don't understand why they can't hit the OKAY button to get wiiconnect24 going. if it works in japan, then what the hell's stopping them from getting it to work in the states? the longevity of elebits will drastically shorten because of crazy nintendo and their cuckoo ways. i know i won't be sending pictures or levels of elebits to friends SIX MONTHS AFTER its release. thumbs waaaay down to nintendo on this one.

Scenester

hyp said:
my most anticipated wii title to date, even more so than wario ware. glad to see even more good impressions... there's just something about the quirky stuff that makes me glad i own a nintendo console.

*pelvic thrust*

caldazar

fusoya59 said:
ugh nintendo, i hate them sometimes. i just don't understand why they can't hit the OKAY button to get wiiconnect24 going. if it works in japan, then what the hell's stopping them from getting it to work in the states? the longevity of elebits will drastically shorten because of crazy nintendo and their cuckoo ways. i know i won't be sending pictures or levels of elebits to friends SIX MONTHS AFTER its release. thumbs waaaay down to nintendo on this one.

I think you're grossly mischaracterizing the effort it takes to get an online service up and running. Lots of servers have to be set up, lag and stability issues have to be ironed out, etc. It's a very complicated system that's very different than developing an offline game and brings its own unique challenges.

Yes Sony and MS have it up and running, and yes this is still a **major** screw-up on Nintendo's part, but my point is that in order to get things up and running I'm sure Sony and MS had to start putting everything in place *months* in advance...if Nintendo says they can't do it before Q2 07, then they probably can't because they're to far behind in setting up infrastructure...it's not a matter of pushing an OK button.

Pud

Banned
PantherLotus said:
from EA? Yeah right. Unless I'm completely mistaken, EA doesn't make exclusives.

...unless they're going the THDJ (wii) / THP8 (ps3/360) route...?

SSX Blur - exclusive to Wii. I'm just as surprised, but seeing as how they're making a Sims Wii (exclusive) and have like 3 or 4 studios dedicated to the Wii, EA seems to be in competition with Ubisoft on who can churn out the most Wii software.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Pud said:
SSX Blur - exclusive to Wii. I'm just as surprised, but seeing as how they're making a Sims Wii (exclusive) and have like 3 or 4 studios dedicated to the Wii, EA seems to be in competition with Ubisoft on who can churn out the most Wii software.

Yeah, I just read it for myself on 1up. I'm a little bit wary of that, though. Exclusives from EA? Uh oh.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Ok that TGS trailer just sold me this game whenever I do get a Wii. That Japanese girl was beyond cute and the music was absolutely loveable. Is that song in the actual game? *humming* "Friend to Friend"

Amir0x

Banned
Btw, here are some awesome Elebits art images that you could easily make into wallpapers, if you so choose. I really, really love this style... I wish there was someway they were able to translate the style into the game.

elebits-20061206044545806.jpg

elebits-20061206044609352.jpg

elebits-20061206044557868.jpg

elebits-20060922051633140.jpg

Nicktals

Banned
Yeah, that first picture rocks. This will probably be the first game I play when I get a Wii. I was sold right away, but it seems to just be getting better and better...the style still isn't phenomenal to me, and I'd prefer they had gone in a different direction, maybe even cel shaded...But, not a deal breaker by any means.

Okay, I'm actually very interested in this game now. It looks to be a lot of fun. If the reviews are half decent, I think I'm gonna have to pick this one up.

jwj442

Maybe I'm just an ice-hearted bastard, but I still see no reason for me to get this when I have Garry's Mod, or for most people to get it when HL2 + Garry's Mod is cheaper and runs on old computers.

Perhaps playing it will change my mind, though. I suppose it comes down to how big a difference the Wiimote actually makes...

Top Bottom