• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Electric lawn mowers - Do they make the cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a tiny front yard and a slightly larger backyard. Both are mostly flat (front has a slight slope) without too many obstacles that I need to manuever around. Start to finish it probably will take 10 minutes. Because it's an easy job to mow I am researching electric mower such as the EGO LM2101 56-Volt Cordless Lawn Mower. The benefit being it's green but also no need to worry about gas or oil. The electric mowers have greatly improved in recent years but the one complaint that is pervasive is the vertical uptake isn't as good as gas mowers which leads to clumping. Another downside is that it's a few hundred more than a decent gas mower.

Does anyone use an electric mower? Share your experiences!

FLo5wlz.jpg

8bit

Knows the Score
I've got a lawnmower robot, it trundles about the garden three times a week while I'm out.

Jarrod38

We use a gas mower but it really comes down to maintenance of the mower like the sharping the blade, clean underneath, and so on.

Timeaisis

I have a gas, but I really want an electric. Seems like less maintenance. I have a pretty small front yard as well... But I still worry because there's a slight slope.

teiresias

I have an EGO battery powered leaf blower and chain saw and both have been great for my purposes. I haven't bothered to mow my own lawn until I get it completely reseeded though, so I haven't tried their mower. I've only heard good things though.

If you want battery operated equipment like this though, choose a brand and stick to it since the batteries are interchangeable between the different products.

My family has been using an electric lawnmower since I was born. Just make sure to have a long enough extension cable, and that it can be adjusted for levels. Otherwise, they do the job just fine.

Now, if you can get a scarifier...

Edit: Oh wait, cordless?

Every time my gas mower breaks, I consider buying an electric one. If your yard is relatively small it should probably be fine. I don't know how good they are at chopping leaves though.

-griffy-

Banned
My mom got one of the Ego electrics last summer after years of dealing with a piece of shit gas-powered one that was constantly breaking down. It's been flawless.

My family has been using an electric lawnmower since I was born. Just make sure to have a long enough extension cable, and that it can be adjusted for levels. Otherwise, they do the job just fine.

Now, if you can get a scarifier...

Edit: Oh wait, cordless?

Yeah. I wouldn't ever bother with a cord.

We have been using the same corded electric mower for at least a decade. Never had any problems with it, even in bumpy, hilly yards. The cord is a pain but you get used to it; we have a big backyard with lots of trees and bushes but we manage. I like that the mower shuts off instantly when I release the handle and turns right back on again when I grab it.

Nif

I bought a house last year and started buying all the Ego stuff. I have a couple batteries and can swap them out while the other's charging. Pretty great.

Rur0ni

Have owned an electric (battery powered) one. It works well if you cut frequently enough (more especially on small yards), not nearly as loud, etc. I prefer to use a more powerful gas powered one though for a large yard.

I have an electric mower! Wall of text here we go:

For what you described, 10 minutes worth of lawn mowing, I think even an electric mower would be overkill. You might want to consider those manual mowers, the ones that are like 2 wheels with blades in-between? Honestly for just 10 minutes of mowing, unless you have like a physical condition (arthritis, back pain, etc) then the blade type should be fine.

If you really want an electric mower, what's cool is that you can get other tools in the same family and they will share the same batteries. I have a mower, a trimmer, and a god damn chainsaw that all use the same batteries. As long as you're the type of person to remember charging them, they're great. The advantage is they're quieter, greener, etc.

They are weaker, though. It's just the truth of it, sometimes you just straight up need gas powered. My leaf blower is gas powered despite the fact that they sell electric ones compatible with my batteries. I followed user reviews and they say that the output just isn't enough for wet leaves. Do I know personally? Only with the chainsaw. I chop my own wood from downed trees, I'm not taking standing trees down or anything! But it takes a lot longer than what I assume gas would and it drains the batteries much faster than I'd like. You can just tell there's a lack of power when cutting through trunk pieces. it works but in hindsight I would have gone gas for the chainsaw.

as for the lawn mower? it sounds like you don't need much power at all. If you had a giant ass lawn I would say go gas. My front and back yards take about 40 minutes to mow (on mulch setting, I don't care to bag) and I can do it using 80% of 1 battery. I used to mow my neighbor's yard at the same time which would go through both of my batteries but she does her own yard now. I should also mention that if the grass gets too long, like you skipped a mowing or something, the electric mower will struggle. I'll go through 2 batteries and twice the amount of time as punishment for not staying on top of it. Would gas do the same? i don't know, I assume not since they're more powerful.

I have a battery powered worx lawnmower. Works as advertised it cuts the grass, but these things aren't great for big lawns. If you have a big lawn make sure you have spare batteries charged and ready to go

99Luffy

Banned
I got a 48v mower. Id say the power is comparable to my old 3.5hp but but costs $200 more. You can get a fancy push start self propelled 6hp mower for that much..

But I would still go electric. I always had trouble starting up motors after winter. My electric one has been hassle free so far and came with 2 batteries.

8bit

Knows the Score
What brand, if you don't mind me asking

It's a Bosch Indego 800, was on special at the local Garden Centre place a few years ago. Instead of me reluctantly mowing the lawn for 30 minutes every Saturday morning this just wanders around on schedule microcutting the grass so I don't need to pick up cuttings either.

99Luffy

Banned
It's a Bosch Indego 800, was on special at the local Garden Centre place a few years ago. Instead of me reluctantly mowing the lawn for 30 minutes every Saturday morning this just wanders around on schedule microcutting the grass so I don't need to pick up cuttings either.
Does your lawn slope slightly? I wonder if these will be able to go uphill.

I've always used gas at home, so I can't comment too much. I was cutting neighbours' lawns for a summer though, one of them using their corded electric lawnmower. It was maybe a bit more of a hassle dealing with the cord, but not really that much, and it had some other benefits like being light-weight and easy to use. I don't think it would be a problem to use a corded one if, like you said, you had only 10 minutes of work to do and it's flat without much obstacles. The lawn I did with the corded one took maybe 15 minutes and was a bit hilly and had two levels - without that, I don't think the cord would have bothered me. Of course, cordless would be a real nice convenience if you can find one that fits the budget and does the job well enough.

8bit

Knows the Score
Does your lawn slope slightly? I wonder if these will be able to go uphill.

Mine doesn't much, but there is a garden nearby with one installed that's about 30% sloped and I assume it's working as expected for them.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's been helpful.

Honest question: Why not? Just don't want to leave the door open (my family admittedly have ours plugged in via one of the outside sheds), or don't want to risk rolling over it?

Same reason I wish I had a good cordless vacuum cleaner. I just prefer to avoid getting tangled up, tripping up the dog, and rolling over it and somehow cutting it would be a bummer.

norog

If your yard is tiny and going green is an interest, consider a mechanical push mower. Just keep it sharp and it'll do fine (although possibly not well enough for yard fanatics). Cheap, no cords, no batteries, and you have to walk around the yard anyway. I have about 800 sq ft of yard and it's more than enough.

I've used a Black and Decker CM1936 for 6 years and it has been awesome. Very impressive runtime and cutting abilities. The ease and convenience of battery-powered mowers is awesome; just bring the thing out of the garage and instantly start mowing.

I just bought the Ego 21" self-propelled mower and it blows the B&D away. I'm very impressed with it even though I've only used it once.

I was considering getting a 30" Toro mower this year to save time, but going back to gas would just feel like a huge step backwards in so many regards.

I'm probably going to buy the rest of the Ego lineup so I can finally ditch gas once and for all.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's been helpful.

Same reason I wish I had a good cordless vacuum cleaner. I just prefer to avoid getting tangled up, tripping up the dog, and rolling over it and somehow cutting it would be a bummer.

Fair enough. You get used to it, but I imagine being introduced to it could be a nuisance.

ElRenoRaven

Had one. It actually did a pretty damn good job. The problem is our yard was just way to big to keep using it. Wish I could remember the name of it. Wanna say green something. I'll look on my amazon. I bought it from there. Ah found it. Green Works. For a small yard they should be perfect. They have corded and battery powered options.

Sobriquet

I have the self-propelled version of that EGO and I love it. I researched a ton, but was iffy about spending that kind of cash on a mower. Very happy with it though, worth every penny. It's so quiet and works as well as a gas mower. I'll probably switch other tools over to EGO as well. Got the leaf blower after the mower.

Zach

I have one. No cord. It gets the job done, but I never go two weeks without cutting the grass. Not sure how well things would go with higher grass.

Anyway, I like it overall, even if it's noticeably weaker than ol' gassy. But that's not really an issue for me.

Oh, and I can easily mow the front and back without recharging in between. I have a smaller yard. Like 7,500 square feet.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Get a goat. You get a pretty cool pet and it'll take care of the grass. Plus you can kill it and eat it and get another one.

Lagamorph

Wait you can get gas mowers?!! Im from the UK and all we seem to have is electrical.

What? Petrol mowers have been around forever in the UK.

I utterly fucking hate cutting my garden though, but I also have a big back garden, so I just hire a gardener to come and cut it for me every 2 weeks. He turns up with a team of 2 other people. One has a petrol mower, another has a petrol strimmer and the last one has a blower to gather up all the cuttings.

Ban Puncher

I inherited an old two stroke petrol Victa lawn mower from family. After many years of use it finally gave up the ghost so I replaced it with an electric mower.

That piece of shit never cut the grass right, took longer to mow my lawn and lasted less than three months. Took it back to the store and exchanged it for a brand new two stroke petrol Victa lawn mower and it hasn't missed a beat in nearly a decade.

2 stroke 4 life.

belmonkey

I've got a lawnmower robot, it trundles about the garden three times a week while I'm out.

I didn't even know those were a thing. I wonder if something like that would be able to handle a yard as big as my parents have though. They currently hire people to move the lawn every now and again and I was thinking one of those automatic mowers might be cheaper in the long run.

Zoe

The amount of grass in our front yard probably adds up to the size of a postage stamp, so we're definitely looking into electric options. I've been eyeing one of the Ryobi weed whackers though. Do those generally do the job?

Fliesen

We sell electric (power cord), battery as well as gas powered lawn mowers.

They all have their upsides and downsides.

Gas powered are heavy (which is why many of them have powered rear wheels), and require maintenance - like draining excess gas before the winter, replacing the oil, etc.

Battery powered are super light, but the battery only gets you so far - so they're not really an option for larger lawns. Also the batteries might eventually lose their capacity, and - a few years in - a new battery costs like 50% as much as a new mower. Also - the higher the grass, the tougher it is to cut, the faster the battery will drain during your mowing session.

Electric mowers combine the lightness of battery powered with the 'stamina' of a gas powered mower, but you might be bothered by the cord (even though, it's pretty easy to mow in such a pattern where the cord isn't a real issue)

I didn't even know those were a thing. I wonder if something like that would be able to handle a yard as big as my parents have though. They currently hire people to move the lawn every now and again and I was thinking one of those automatic mowers might be cheaper in the long run.

The main issue with robo mowers is the fact that they mostly follow a random pattern. By mowing for a few hours every day, chances are it'll eventually have covered like 99% of the lawn area.
They aren't that well suited for larger lawns or lawns with a big amount of 'sub-sections', connected by narrow paths or something, because the mower might just never make it there.

For these kind of 'divided lawns', theres robot mowers where you'll bury a conductive cord underneath the edges of your lawn, and you'll teach the mower to use them as a guidance to reach these kinds of sections, where their random mowing pattern would never lead them.

It sounds super complicated, but it's pretty easy to set up. But those 'intelligent' mowers start at like 700$+ - ... and they're still bad for huge lawns.

I have an electric mower! Wall of text here we go:

For what you described, 10 minutes worth of lawn mowing, I think even an electric mower would be overkill. You might want to consider those manual mowers, the ones that are like 2 wheels with blades in-between? Honestly for just 10 minutes of mowing, unless you have like a physical condition (arthritis, back pain, etc) then the blade type should be fine.

the issue with these reel mowers is that those that do have a bag (to catch the grass) are rather heavy, while the ones that do not have one require you to mow the lawn very frequently, so you'll always just cut the 'tips' of the grass. Mowing the lawn in such a way that the cut grass just drops to the ground is called "mulching" - which can be really healthy for your lawn, because it returns nutrients to the grass and prevents the grass from drying out as quickly.

SRG01

How are the new Lithium electric lawn tools these days? Li-batteries don't always like long periods of non-use and cold storage -- Winter, for instance.

jstripes

Banned
My lawnmower broke, and because I'm cheap I found one of these for free at a garage sale:

PxXHXlz.jpg

It weighs a ton, but it builds muscles at least.

I ordered this Greenworks dual battery mower when it was on sale for about fifty bucks below its current price.

It's amazing. I got it when my gas mower had massive problems running. I later managed to clean it out by soaking the carburetor in gasoline or mineral oil or something, but it's there as a backup that I hopefully will never use. So far, the electric mower has had no maintenance issues, it's far quieter, and it doesn't smell horrible as I've found all gas mowers to do. And one day I may get other things from the same company that uses the same batteries, so I'll be able to swap around if the current batteries ever go bad.

This is on a very bumpy - albeit small, being 6000sqft - lot/lawn. The only downside is that it uses two small blades instead of one giant blade, so sometimes it can miss little bits of grass in the middle of the mower's path, but this is not really common.

Definitely a solid purchase, highly recommended.

edit: This will be its third season, as I got it in April 2015

I bought the electric mower I posted in the OP and used it today. It worked great. No setup out of the box except for charging the battery. The mowers I've used were a pain to adjust to different heights but this one can be raised or lowered with one hand. The mower itself was quiet and was super easy to start since all you do is press a button and pull back a lever on the handle.

I had some pretty tall grass growing in the backyard and it mulched it pretty well. Overall I am extremely pleased with this mower. Don't let people tell you electric hardware can't compare to oil and gas mowers.

Use the right tool for the job so if you have a really big yard you're better off with a riding gas mower. Or if you need to mulch your son's video games.

eIKQzWK.gif

Well done, Ego. I went ahead and ordered the trimmer and blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom