• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous 2.1 "Engineers" update available 5/26 (PC) 6/2 (X1)--crafting + more!

Elite Dangerous: Horizons 2.1 patch: "The Engineers"
Current Elite Dangerous OT

Release Date
  • PC: 5/26/2016
  • X1: 6/2/2016 (Note: this is actually the Season 2, including Horizons + Engineers, update, as Season 2 did not launch on X1 when it did for PC)
PC and X1 Prices
  • Own Elite Dangerous and Horizons? The update is free, as Horizons includes 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4
  • Own Elite Dangerous but not Horizons? Pay £19.99/$29.99/€24.99 for Horizons
  • Don't own any Elite games? Buy the Commander Deluxe Edition (includes ED and Horizons/Season 2) £39.99/$59.99/€49.99

Horizons is Season (or Year) 2 of Elite Dangerous! The first update, 2.0, added Planetary Landings on non-atmospheric planets. The next update, 2.1 (or 1.6, if you don't own Horizons), is titled "The Engineers". Engineers are specific NPCs who can craft custom equipment for your ship in exchange for materials. While they are the primary focus of the update, a lot more gameplay-altering changes have been added or tweaked, as well!

The Engineers
You must first be invited to meet the Engineer. This can be triggered by meeting certain requirements, though some invitations appear to be random (or at least the triggers haven't been discovered yet):
WKr3NhC.jpg
pBRkaHB.jpg
C3Lq6wS.jpg

Engineer Bases are all unique to each engineer--see the approach to Elvira Martuuk, for example.

All Engineer bases are located planetside. Yes, this means that, unless crafted modules are one day offered as rewards, you must own Horizons to use crafted modules. If the beta is any indication, you are *highly* encouraged to get Horizons or you may find yourself having trouble in combat, even in PvE. Crafted modules significantly alter the combat meta-game, in general making combat a lot faster, with a wider variety of builds and MUCH stronger weapons, shields, etc.

"Road to Beta" videos: Engineer's Base Approach

Crafting
Once you have an audience with an engineer, you have access to the crafting page:

Crafting is done with materials, which can be found on planetary surfaces, rewarded from missions, wrecked vessels, and more. Some recipes also require commodities that can be found or purchased from the Commodities Market:

Remember that each Engineer can craft a different set of modules and different bonuses! From the screen above, notice that some upgrades are locked. These are locked based on your reputation, or relationship, with the Engineer.

Early in the beta, the only way to unlock the next rank/rep level for an Engineer was to craft a shit ton of modules for them. This was akin to having to craft 100 leather gloves to unlock the next tier in some RPGs, even though those leather gloves may be absolutely worthless to you. Worse, you can't really "break down" crafted modules in ED, nor can you sell them, so it was literally wasted time and effort. Luckily, Frontier listened to the complaints and feedback and has made it so a wider range of activities (missions for the Engineers, for example, or even exchanging exploration data with them) can improve rep.

RNG and Crafting
As you improve your rep, you gain access to craft better and better components. When you craft, three effects are rolled:
  • Primary Effects: primary stats for the module; usually ~5 different stats that are rolled
  • Secondary Effects: based on the recipe, these can have a positive or negative effect on your stats, overall. For example, I've seen these roll to greatly impact a few of the initial primary effects, though not all of them; these are tweaks to the primary roll, essentially
  • Special Effects: this is where a lot of the cooler effects come in; while crafting in general will give you modules that are better than stock or what you can buy from a vendor, special effects have the chance to turn it into something truly unique
The types of effects, to a degree, as well as their strength, are determined by RNG. This has been tweaked significantly since early beta, where it took a ton of rolls to get a net positive effect.

"Road to Beta" video: The Dweller Base Approach and Crafting WIP

In addition, the Special Effects have been tweaked. In the beta, the Special Effect you were assigned was completely random. Some of the new crafted modules and effects are great, but very situational--for example, there is weapon that only has a (positive) effect on wingmates. There is another beam laser that can be made regenerative so you can replenish an ally's shields.

Without an element of choice, it made crafting frustrating, especially since you cannot store modules or easily share them across ships. Frontier responded by making it possible to specially request a certain type of Special Effect, though it comes at a rep cost (the in-game reason is it's something they don't like doing, so it sours the relationship to an extent).

"Road to Beta" videos: crafted modules (note: these effects have been tweaked from beta to final)
  • Phasing Sequence Beam Laser: A small amount of damage bleeds through the shield onto the hull.
  • Mass Lock Torpedo: Torpedo applies the effect of a very large ship nearby, slowing down jumps to supercruise.
  • Shift Lock Canister: This mine will restart your FSD, preventing a hyperspace jump.
  • Feedback Cascade: Cancel the charging of an opponent's shield cell bank, completely shattering their shield
  • Emissive Munitions: Reveal the location of your opponent on your scanner and targeting device, no matter what tactics or modules they're using to hide from you
  • Incendiary Cannons: Convert part of the kinetic damage to thermal damage, tearing through shields and causing serious harm
  • Force Shell: Kinetic shell that physically displaces/pushes the target; great for countering rammers, as well as pushing enemies off-target and to cause them to crash into nearby objects
  • Regenerative Sequence: Regenerate the shield of an ally
  • Thermal Shock: Increase the heat generation of the target

The Impact of Crafting
So far, it seems that the impact of crafting will be pretty significant. Advanced modules have already allowed for more powerful, better shielded, more deadly, or much faster ships.

Ship speed, in general, seems like it could get a big boost here. One of the fastest ships in the game, the Imperial Eagle, has a boost speed of 400 m/s currently. Some players got this to be double, over 800m/s, with their normal cruising speed being 600m/s (yes, 200 more m/s than the pre-patch *boost* speed).

It has made for some amazing canyon run videos! To put a number on what this means, check this Sidewinder station run time comparison.

The diversity of Special Effects potentially allows ships to take on more specified roles, as well. With some healing/Wing-centered effects, you could equip a ship to act as a support/medic in combat. You could even take on other traditional archetypes--tanks, glass cannon, etc.

It also means that small ships are potentially much more useful. Prior to this update, small ships weren't nearly as useful in the endgame, as they were so fragile they could easily be destroyed by larger ships. This is still the case, but the speed gap has potentially widened significantly. If small ships have had their speeds increased, via crafting, by 1.5-2x, it makes them much more useful in harassing roles and probably bodes well for the ship-launched fighters update later this year.

Persistent NPCs and Enhanced Missions
  • NPC Profiles: All NPCS have profile images, names, and (to an extent) personas. Check out the contact for the Neo-Galactic Adventure Force group (our in-game group):
    This images are currently just snapshots, but they plan to add animation to the characters as well as improve their overall quality
  • There are over 9k unique persistent NPC contacts, each with their own face, alignment and requirements regarding faction/reputation/rank
  • Rep with the faction to which the NPC belongs impacts how they regard you

Enhanced Missions
  • NOT the big overhaul (yet), but does add more clarity to missions, what is needed to complete them, and what the faction needs help with
  • USS scanning: No more having to drop into a USS to see what it contains!
  • Nav beacon scanning: Scan nav beacons to retrieve information on signal sources, as well as missions in the system
  • Larger pool of rewards: Credits, commodities, materials and salvage items can be awarded, plus they scale based on mission difficulty/rank
  • Grouping: Missions are now grouped by minor faction:
  • Missions also feel more organic, now that they're issued by an actual NPC. Context and warnings are added to mission descriptions:

New and Enhanced Hardpoints

Enhanced Performance and Visuals
  • Performance increase: Sentiments like the following seem all-too common--FD did some major optimizing:
    My GPU is a GTX 770, and previously I was getting about 40-50 fps with all the planetary stuff on high, and sometimes it would spasm down to about 20 for periods.
    So far on 2.1, I'm getting a rock steady 60fps, both flying around the planet and scooting about in the buggy. Seems like a really major improvement to me. Might even see how it handles on ultra in a minute.
  • Better planetary detail: Surface textures have seen a SIGNIFICANT improvement:
  • Better fog and ring details: Fog in rings is stronger now, adding more atmosphere to these areas. Asteroids cast shadows now, leading to a much better visual experience, overall
  • Misc details: SRV tire tracks, more reflective water surfaces for planets, more detail in sun, better planetary lighting, lens flares...lots!

GalNet and Map Improvements

Other Stuff
  • More varied skill levels in enemies, with new reactions/profiles
  • Planetary surface-level ships have increased in number can follow and dogfight with you near with surface (including canyons)
  • Ice RES: You can now mine in ice rings! Not only are these gorgeous compared to the metal rings, but some of the commodities you can find (low temp diamonds for example) are very lucrative
    "Road to Beta" video: Ice Mining
  • More customization is coming: Bumpers! Spoilers! Dashboards! Customization is coming:
  • Traffic Control: Stations now have traffic controllers, adding a little atmosphere to the game! They help direct you to the station and your landing pad, addressing you by your callsign (the first three letters of your commander name; I am CMDR Anton Sugar, so my call sign is "Alpha-November-Tango"
    4jFhDa1.jpg
  • New loadout screen: MUCH easier to use and navigate through:
    "Road to Beta" video: Outfitting

What's Next?
The following info is taken from this reddit post:
The Guardians 2.2
Scheduled for Summer 2016.
967f1e58-af10-49e3-9e6c-322f1ef9d422.jpg

"Take what comes and strike back with double. Bring a second ship to every combat encounter with Ship-Launched Fighters and defend your passengers against the deadliest threats in the galaxy."
  • Larger ships in the game (for example the T-9) will be able to launch and/or dock smaller vessels from their bays. Launched vessels can be either NPC or CMDR piloted. These smaller ships will be used to fight off enemy craft, act as scouting vessels on planets.
  • If playing on your own and choose to leave your main vessel in a smaller fighter craft, your main ship will fly on autopilot and defend itself.

The Commanders 2.3
Scheduled for Fall 2016.
b0e2a19a-a5c5-443e-91fe-f35feefa2065.jpg
10e43ffe-d236-4859-93eb-3da0787dce52.jpg

"Team up and stand together. Forge your own identity with the new Commander Creator, then share your bridge with Multi-Crew and fly with friends."
  • Players working together to control the different functions of a ship. One player could fly the ship whilst others would handle the sub-systems and weapons. Or a multicrew ship landing on a planet's surface could have one player stay with the main vessel, another patrol in a ship-launched fighter, and another explore in their SRV.
  • The crew limit of 4 may be increased in a future Season: "We don't know how high we would go."
  • Current instancing issues likely make more than 4 unfeasible for the immediate future.
  • Multicrew uses the Wing system, and has 4 roles: Helm (piloting), Fire control (turrets/weapons), Countermeasures (shields, tactical), Engineering (sensors, navigation, repairs). Roles are balanced so that a fully-crewed ship is on par with 4 CMDRs in a wing.
  • CMDRs can hotswap between roles, including in Solo. Uses an SRV-style UI interface.
  • No NPC Crew initially.
  • Enormous range of faces and features available using the Commander Creation "slider tool". This option will be selected via the game's interface. In combination with
  • Multicrew players will at last be able to see each other, in game. Although dev-demo shows baldness, hair is confirmed.
  • Faces will be visible as the visors will be retracted with pressurised cockpit. Canopy breach will cause Visors to appear.

"???" 2.4
"A secret to be revealed in Elite Dangerous: Horizons’ final expansion!"

References
Vast majority of this info and pics came from the reddit v2.1/1.6 Beta Megathread and Horizons and its included Expansions: the known gameplay/content/feature updates coming in 2016 posts. I *highly* recommend you read them if you want more info.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm a little confused about the pricing...

Is this free if you have Horizons, or do you need to buy the base game, Horizons and then pay even more for this update?

I'm a little confused about the pricing...

Is this free if you have Horizons, or do you need to buy the base game, Horizons and then pay even more for this update?
It is free if you have Horizons. If you don't have Horizons you'll need to buy the Horizons expansion. All expansions coming this season (2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4) will all be free with the Horizons expansion pass.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
My T-Flight is ready, and I sure hope those new planet surfaces run better on my 460. I'd like a bit more than 18 fps.

Also the traffic control alone is worth the price of horizons

My T-Flight is ready, and I sure hope those new planet surfaces run better on my 460. I'd like a bit more than 18 fps

A ton of players reported gains of 15-30 fps on planet surfaces, even with the improved detail. "Ultra" became an option for a wider audience with the beta.

jond76

Banned
This update on Xbox is actually stealing my No Mans Sky money. At least for a little while.

I know they are very different.

Thanks, y'all! I'll update the OP tomorrow with the official trailer and other materials.

This update on Xbox is actually stealing my No Mans Sky money. At least for a little while.

I know they are very different.

I don't own a PS4 but Horizons coming to X1 has me extremely excited. They haven't said anything about the PS4 version in a while...it might be a stretch to say it's coming this year, but who knows?

DjRalford

Really Really looking forward to this, my first couple of weeks with the game has me hooked, now to have all this extra sstuff thrown in its like Christmas and birthday at once.

LowerLevel

Aw yeah! Can't wait to play this on my Xb1
in glorious 640p and an amazing 15 fps on planetary landings! /s And to be honest I don't care if that is the case!

elyetis

Text should be better. Aliasing is still WIP.
Erf...... meh I guess it isn't that bad since I'm not sure I should even try Elite with the Vive until I replace my 780 with a 1080.

Anyway it seems like a pretty good update... kind of sad that it took so freaking long to get what is listed in GalNet and Map Improvements, and that many other QoL improvement of that kind are still needed in many aspect of the game.

zorbsie

Subbed. Great OT. Lots of info to go through. Can't wait to do some planetary landings on XB1. Do we have to buy the SRV? Do you have to have a specific ship to carry it?

Unicorn

Disappointed this does not have the mission overhaul. It's what I've been waiting for to jump back in. Looks like No Man's Sky will be out before the next update, so this will be left in the dust unless NMS is complete shit. Maybe I'll be back in a year.

jond76

Banned
Disappointed this does not have the mission overhaul. It's what I've been waiting for to jump back in. Looks like No Man's Sky will be out before the next update, so this will be left in the dust unless NMS is complete shit. Maybe I'll be back in a year.

What about No Mans Sky again? ;)

Also, the mission system has been massively updated. Not sure what you mean

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
What about No Mans Sky again? ;)

Also, the mission system has been massively updated. Not sure what you mean

The mission interface has been massively updated, but the missions themselves are mostly the same old missions from before, with a few new bits here and there like branching and such. For example, still absolutely no exploration missions whatsoever.

Hopefully missions actually work this time around.

(they probably won't)

A few of the missions are still broken as of beta 6 (like the surface rush salvage missions for example), so most likely 2.1 is launching with them broken too. To be fixed at some later date.....:(

I'm planning on doing lots of ice mining this weekend, and working towards getting my Asp Explorer jumping as far as it possibly can!

Patch notes have been added: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=253924

Hi guys,

Today's the day many of you have been waiting for. We're going to be updating Elite Dangerous with The Engineers (2.1) and 1.6. However, to do so we will need to bring the servers down for a long period of time while we apply the updates.

The servers will be down for potentially 10+ hours. It could be significantly shorter or longer and we wont be able to give a firm timeframe but we'll keep you informed on this thread as we get more information.

While you're waiting for the servers we have a few things going on to keep you entertained.

- We have a 1 hour AMA with David Braben on the Elite Dangerous subreddit at 11am. The thread will be going live on the subreddit closer to the time.
- We have the launch livestream from 1pm where Ed Lewis will be joined by David Braben, Mike Brookes, Sandro Sammarco and many more developers for some Q&As and giveaways. You'll find that on our official YouTube channel.
- We will be attempting to keep the beta servers online to allow players to continue playing.

We will update the thread with the full patch notes once we have them.

Thank you for your patience.

===

Patch notes time!

Please note for Xbox One update: The update is available for download but will not be able to play until the servers are back up. It will be 9.2GB download.

===

The following are PC specific patch notes that have been added since the most recent update

Stability Fixes

- Shutdown the HMD System on destruction. Prevents AMD crash on exit
- Fix station services being left open - to crash - when player deploys their buggy while in a station menu
- Prevent soft lock if NPCs are spawning in a region that hasn't been constructed yet
- Fix for crash when opening the edit loaded screen in CQC after unlocking new modules from ranking up
- Fix for soft-lock in module data gatherer when loading into the game
- Fix a crash if transmitting a message when there's no location object (e.g. on death)
- Fix a crash creating certain scenarios
- Fixed crash in fighter cockpit when kinematic is ready before its target
- Fix crash when trying to use FSDInterdictor on a target object that is not a ship
- Fix crash with ship components activating before the object is ready
- Crash fix for when a weapon with the Malfunction Hit special effect hits a module that can't malfunction
- Prevent crash when applying livery items while deploying or boarding with the SRV
- Fix softlock happening sometimes when editing or deleting a bookmark
- Handle the case where we don't have a reference module more gracefully, and output some more useful logs for debugging this

General Tweaks & Fixes

- Fix case where save could get in an inconsistent state and game would think the player was flying while the server thought they were docked, preventing cargo collection among other things
- Fix a cause of becoming stranded in an SRV above a planet's surface
- Make sure that flight model handles forces correctly
- Add links to new tutorial videos
- Community Goal rewards now automatically redeem after 2 weeks
- Fix Imperial Cutter hull issue blocking cargo scooping
- Set server status and in-game main menu notifications during weekly server maintenance
- Missile and Torpedoes Icons are wrong way around fixed in outfitting
- Adding ship type string for damaged fed cap ship so it doesn't assert on contacts panel
- User cannot return to gameplay after selecting the Spoiler option in Livery Outfitting with a ship paint job already applied fixed
- Updated nested bookmark icon to improve clarity
- Various text fixes

Missions

- Fix founder delivery to not go to smaller ports / outposts
- Fix for mission cargo being marked as illegal salvage when dropped from a target ship
- Temporarily remove SRV mining
- Reduced the chance of wrinkles from test levels
- Reduced chance of treasure tips from test levels
- Rather than the total number of micro resources (spanning all types), say what type and how many of that type we need space for
- Make planetary missions use rank to determine base strength
- Remove economy dupes in info panel and popup when secondary economy is the same as main economy
- Remove low level materials from the rewards lists so that players can't be given them by missions
- Various text fixes

Engineers

- Allow some Engineers to gain reputation by activities other than crafting
- Rebalance engineer reputation gain from crafting blueprints
- Updated rate of Engineer progression balancing numbers
- Prevent superpower reputation from affecting rep gained by Engineers crafting recipes
- Engineers invite mission does not take into account the size of your ship when it selects destination fixed
- Remove unused variables from engineer missions because they may have been blocking progress
- Increase default size of PopUp Engineer Dialogue s in order to accommodate larger strings
- Resource Grade icons have been updated to support grade 5 resources
- Updated buff icons to make them more readable

Render

- Improvement for ice planets to increase the detail in the mid distance. Required Light power (albedo boost)/Mid amp increase and a larger mid fade distance
- Correct the proclaimed maximum terrain feature height on planets to fix issues with some physics patches not generating

SRV

- SRV turret mode give incorrect hull information
- SRV wheels don't spin on networked player fixed

Companion App

- Allow access for people who own Horizons without also owning a Season 1 SKU
- Pick up dynamic changes to which station services are available at a given market

The following is a compiled list of all the previous beta patch notes for reference.
These are specific to both Xbox One and PC. However, i'm sure it goes without saying that any Horizons specific content will not be available until the Horizons launch on June 3rd for Xbox One Commanders.

NEW CONTENT/FEATURES (2.1)

- Loot
- Added new commodities for loot/crafting (including ones from ice rings)
- Mining resources can now create materials
- Materials can be spawned inside signal sources
- Materials can be dropped from destroyed ships
- Materials can be dropped from destroyed skimmers
- Encoded data materials added
- Data materials can be scanned from scan able wreckage
- Materials inventory is now split into physical and virtual items
- Added scan able wreckage scenarios and POIs
- Added inbox messages when retrieving encoded loot from various objects
- Crafting
- Allow weapon damage values to modify visual affects
- Experimental effects can be generated on module modifications
- Engineers have module modifications of different types and grades available
- Resources can be used to craft module modifications
- NPC ships can use modified modules
- Engineers
- Added new landing pad types for Engineer bases
- Added new hangars for Engineer bases
- Added bases for each engineer
- Engineer contact history added to stats panel
- Engineer locations can be viewed in the galaxy map (if unlocked)
- Engineers each have their own unlock flow
- New surface material system - improves surface material detail and performance
- New surface salvage items
- Added new surface POIs
- Added NPC patrols near planetary ports and outposts
- NPC encounters can occur near planet surfaces
- NPCs can engage in combat near planet surfaces
- NPC ships can defend settlements and bases

NEW CONTENT/FEATURES (1.6)

- Missions
- New mission board added
- Mission board contacts added
- Contacts have their appearance deterministically generated to reflect various key factors
- Mission givers have a welcome message that reflects the state of the minor faction, their tone and relationship with player
- Display minor faction recovering and pending states
- Missions are now rated by rank, not gated by them
- Reason for mission generation now added as needed
- USSs for missions now positioned in specific locations as appropriate
- Difficulty of missions is factored into reputation requirements (as well as rank)
- Added additional scenarios for missions
- Mission UI now supports showing specific mission ranks (combat/trade/exploration)
- Reward balance pass for missions
- Commodities can be awarded from missions
- Loot items can be awarded from missions
- Special treasure locations can be awarded by completing missions
- Reveal the location of a mission USS when the body is discovery-scanned (or you scan the Nav beacon)
- Mission contacts remember if they have encountered you before
- Updated scenarios for missions
- Added new planetary mission types
- Added new scan mission types
- Outfitting UI redux
- Updated hangar cameras to fit new outfitting UI
- Some locations can have unique vouchers from scanning for larger rewards that can't be 'succumbed'
- Added huge beam laser
- Added huge pulse laser
- Added huge multi-cannon
- Added large multi-cannon
- Added enhanced performance size 2 and 3 drive modules
- Added VFX scaling for weapon size and damage
- Added huge gimbal mount
- Bookmarks: adding bookmark feature to galaxy map and system map. Player is now able to save specific locations (systems, star, planet, stations, surface settlement)
- Added collapsing sections to options screen
- Community goal markers added to galaxy map
- Minor faction state filters added to galaxy map
- Mining scenarios can now spawn in icy rings
- New mining commodities added
- Add traffic density system for generating USSs
- Shipping lanes are created between the primary star, stations, and planets with settlements. Shipping lanes that are too similar to others, or too short, are removed
- Traffic density is calculated based on shipping lane, station and settled planet proximity. This traffic density value alters the probability of USSs
- If you scan a body that has a mission POI on it, the POI will be revealed. The scan can come from the discovery scanner, or from scanning a Nav beacon
- Changed data scans to be unique per location, so they cannot be continuously rescanned
- Unlinked minor faction reputation from their parent major faction reputation, now you will be neutral with an Empire minor faction even if you are allied with the Empire major faction
- Added the ability to scan a Nav beacon to get the system exploration data for that system
- Added a 'cordial' minor faction reputation level
- Allow cargo to be transferred to a newly bought ship, if it has adequate cargo space
- Add Chopper's Orbital to Phiince system
- Updated translations
- Added named planets from Charity stream
- Added new player group minor faction descriptions
- Player inbox will hold a message until it has been deleted, or 30 days old
- Added Bluford Orbital to LHS 3447
- Cannon Research space science outpost added to COL 285 SECTOR IX-T D3-
- Overhaul & clean-up of how module penetration behaves, to allow multiple hits and various styles of AOE damage. All missiles now use external damage spheres
- Clock added to cockpit's info panel
- Added missing backer station
- Added option to reduce camera shake
- Xbox One: Purchased outfitting content added
- Xbox One: Private group support added
- Xbox One: Added GPP Decal for those players who purchased during the Game Preview Program.
- Xbox One: Customisable Controls
- Xbox One: Classified Camera added in Super Cruise

I didn't post all of the notes because there are a TON of them.

Wallach

Been waiting for this patch and the graphics/performance upgrade before I go HAM on this game with the Rift. Good time for a 3 day weekend.

The new mission structure is way better, I gave up on the game after spending 20 hours and just flying randomly in systems trying to find my target.

Will you get the new mission structure if you dont buy Horizons?

The new mission structure is way better, I gave up on the game after spending 20 hours and just flying randomly in systems trying to find my target.

Will you get the new mission structure if you dont buy Horizons?
yes, it's part of 2.1 and 1.6 (for non horizons players)

TheBez

I purchased Elite forever ago and didn't really get into it. This expansion seems to add a ton of fun content though and streamline the whole experience. A few questions for you guys though, as someone basically completely new to the game where should I start? What should I be doing? Also, in your opinion is a HOTAS the way to play this game? I have KBM, of course, as well as an Xbox pad currently available.

Kiyoshi

The download through the Frontier launcher has ground to a halt; so I've redeemed the Steam keys and am downloading through that at the moment. 17gb though from scratch :(

DrBo42

I purchased Elite forever ago and didn't really get into it. This expansion seems to add a ton of fun content though and streamline the whole experience. A few questions for you guys though, as someone basically completely new to the game where should I start? What should I be doing? Also, in your opinion is a HOTAS the way to play this game? I have KBM, of course, as well as an Xbox pad currently available.

They've streamlined outfitting, missions and USS for sure. Moment to moment gameplay in supercruise (getting materials from scanning ships) and in normal flight (loot from destroyed ships or salvaging wrecks or scanning data caches) is definitely an improvement.

Content though, I have to disagree. We're still not there and this update really hasn't added a lot to do to the base game. It's mostly refinement and introduction of a new time sink. But we'll take what we can get at this point.

Top Bottom