• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Burny

Yeah it looked like an actual art designed planet.

Oh, let's not be silly here. ;) Expecting a more or less bog standard planet with the usual ice cream mountains, but actual handmade meshes put on it, just like engineer bases. Add the haze effect, so you can only make out the silhouette and voila, we have the teaser environment. Looks good though!

Cross posting from PS4 thread:

Hybrid ships??

p4gnwz0rhmky.png

Thargoid home world??

AoZFCc3.jpg

eenEUwi.jpg

Getting an Alien vibe from that planet and that alien structure.

DrBo42

Oh, let's not be silly here. ;) Expecting a more or less bog standard planet with the usual ice cream mountains, but actual handmade meshes put on it, just like engineer bases. Add the haze effect, so you can only make out the silhouette and voila, we have the teaser environment. Looks good though!

Well with Frontier that is an art designed planet.

Dex815

WTF is this at :24?

EDIT: Yeah, dumbo, looks like a corridor? Tunnel? Very interesting.

Looks like the structure that is raising from the earth below the barnacles (or maybe it's a totally new point of interest) will have corridors which will be explorable with SRVs.

Or maybe they are aiming for a stealth space legs release ^^

BKluSXe.png

Looks clearly inspired by Alien/Prometheus.

mineshaft.png

Sandro confirms that EVA/Space Legs is FAR away. Says "it's basically like adding a whole new game" but Braben has always wanted it and they want to do it right.

Also getting a LOT of questions on the convenience of telepresence as a gameplay mechanism, haha.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I really just can't get excited about seeing any of that, because you just know that the only way we will be able to find or see any of it is by being told where to go directly by CG's or engineer missions, because without actual exploration mechanics which allow pilots to actually find stuff out in the deep of space Frontier will simply have to hold our hands, guide us, or force it on us by "flipping a switch".

And those spikey things on the ships, who knows what they are, but more than likely it will be new engineer stuff we'll have to grind out to gain access to.

I'm just not super enthused about Elite Dangerous anymore, there's nothing to look forward to, no hope left in me. I'm sure the game will someday get developed in the ways I'd like it to be, I just don't see Frontier putting any effort into doing it anytime soon. :(

DrBo42

Sandro confirms that EVA/Space Legs is FAR away. Says "it's basically like adding a whole new game" but Braben has always wanted it and they want to do it right.

Also getting a LOT of questions on the convenience of telepresence as a gameplay mechanism, haha.

Worst community in gaming, outside of mobas.

I really just can't get excited about seeing any of that, because you just know that the only way we will be able to find or see any of it is by being told where to go directly by CG's or engineer missions, because without actual exploration mechanics which allow pilots to actually find stuff out in the deep of space Frontier will simply have to hold our hands, guide us, or force it on us by "flipping a switch".

And those spikey things on the ships, who knows what they are, but more than likely it will be new engineer stuff we'll have to grind out to gain access to.

I'm just not super enthused about Elite Dangerous anymore, there's nothing to look forward to, no hope left in me. I'm sure the game will someday get developed in the ways I'd like it to be, I just don't see Frontier putting any effort into doing it anytime soon. :(

Amen. Future of No Man's Sky is brighter than Elite right now. And that's fucked up.

Burny

You're giving them too much credit. It's going to be micro transacted ship spikes! :'D

(Disclaimer: I don't mind their cosmetics micro transactions at all)

I sat at some station on lockdown waiting for some rare good to bring to an engineer. I didn't feel like flying away and flying back so I just logged in once a day until I could buy what I needed. It took 3 days.

I made this mistake too. If you had simply dropped off the goods you already had and returned, more would have been in stock. Instead of 3 days, it probably would have taken you 40 minutes.

Hit Allied with the NeoGAF faction (I had hit it before but guess it decayed??) and Pathfinder exploration rank at the same time. Hello, million dollar+ passenger payouts!

Amen. Future of No Man's Sky is brighter than Elite right now. And that's fucked up.

Don't know if I'd go that far, but NMS last two patches have been fantastic. At the same time, they suffer from a similar problem as ED: they add more variety and options, but not necessarily depth.

I think at this point, we *need* to see some of Elite's roadmap. We're already behind schedule with Season 2 and talk of Space Legs sounds like it's at least a year away. We don't even know what to look forward to.

Edit: the scope of multi crew bums me out. This isn't news to anyone here but it's really setting in that this "huge" update just caters to combat and, at worst, really teases which ideas would work. Like the addition of turreted mining lasers is such a good idea but in practice, it seems like it wasn't really thought through.

DrBo42

They need to take a serious look at the design team and their priorities. No idea who they're even making this game for at this point. Everyone responds to these exploration discoveries from individual gamer to publication yet combat is repeatedly the focus of dev time. Seems so obvious they need to switch gears.

Cool idea: let some megaships transport you (to Colonia, etc.)

In the Friday stream, I believe Sandro hinted at this. He was asked if you could dock in megaships and how mobile they are. Gave a more optimistic "let's wait and see" answer.

Until I engineer a ~50ly ship, I probably wouldn't make it out to Colonia or any long range place by myself. Just not up for it, at least while exploration is barren.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I think at this point, we *need* to see some of Elite's roadmap. We're already behind schedule with Season 2 and talk of Space Legs sounds like it's at least a year away. We don't even know what to look forward to.

Oh boy I'm triggered now lol here comes my rant:

I genuinely don't even really know what space legs could bring to this game beyond more "immersion" type stuff. I don't want "gearing up" my cmdr to be another grind that I have to do.

Honestly the problem with elite has always been really clear to me. It's two fold, I would say that it isn't that there isn't a lot of mechanical depth, hell outfitting a ship is easily one of the most engaging parts of this game. Part of it is that after a while there is this huge looming sense of "why am I doing this?" Because once you get past your standard progression and things start to slow down the cracks start to show.

Personal progression normally goes:
1. Grind for credits to get into a decent ship
2. Grind for credits to A-rate that ship
3. Grind for credits to get a better ship
4. Grind for credits to A-rate that ship
5. Repeat until you have the best ship for what you wanna do A-rated.

Then you go into the hellish engineer grind which is a mix of grinding for materials, grinding for reputation, grinding for reputation to unlock permits to grind for reputation with another engineer and generally just trying to cope with how insurmountable the task of that getting your ship to G5 is until you final do.

Then you might delve into grinding power play modules, which is just pledging, forgetting you pledged for 3 weeks and right before the 4th week grinding out 750 merits in 3-5hrs of shooting down federal logistics ships.

However most of this progression only really applies to combat, but even in the combat pilot route you gotta ask. What's the end game? Most of the hardest NPC ships can be killed rather easily by good piloting and a non engineered A-rated python. It's not like there are any crazy combat encounters out there, even CZs can be handled by that very ship solo with light G1-3 engineering.in most slots. PvP is the only real thing that could be considered end game, but if you're gonna get into that then you've pretty much gotta be aware that there is no real incentive to do it other than good fights. You're not going to make any money, you're not gonna get anything cool, you're not gonna get cool cosmetics or titles or anything.

Traders and Explorers have no use for credits really, for traders I can only imagine that having a huge credit balance is more of a point of pride than anything else. And explorers are basically done once they can afford an A-rated AspX and grind out a G5 engineered FSD.

Then the second part and what I would argue is the real issue is that despite elite being an online multiplayer game there is no multiplayer in it. Combat pilots have the most multiplayer, they can shoot things down together or even shoot at each other in wings (highly recommendable). Honestly part of the reason draconis 17 is so popular is not that it's a huge money maker, it's that it gives friends a reason to play together. Being in a wing of 4 during a D17 grind is some of the most fun you can have with your friends in this game.

What the fuck else is there? The most Traders get out of multiplayer is that if you guys are flying in a wing when you're going out to sell your goods the other people can collect like 10% dividends on whatever was just sold, so everyone makes 10% more money I guess? Compelling gameplay.

Explorers flying together is kind of sort of emergent gameplay but it's not gonna happen on its own, it's one of those things where they can help each other if the other runs out of fuel or something but really it's just a sight seeing tour with your friends. Which I guess has some appeal if you're really into that aspect of exploration but man I don't think I could ever get into that.

There is just nothing to do with your friends, you can't even accept missions as a wing. Those pirate lord assassination missions would be perfect if they reworked them to be wing missions. Imagine if they were just like a huge pay out, but when you dropped in to the pirate lord you had to fight like 6 dudes or something so you really needed your wing mates.

I love elite so much, and it's easily one of my favorite games but my god it's frustrating to see what's happening with this game some times. Multicrew feels like such a tacked on way to say "yeah see you can totally play with your buddies!" like why is multicrew more fun for my friends than being in a wing with each of us flying our own ships? We might make less money but we're definitely having more fun. It's so blatantly obvious why they keep focusing on combat, because it's the only actually developed gameplay this game actually has. All the game mechanics reinforce combat gameplay the most and give it the only real gameplay loop.

Sorry for the sort of unfocused wall of text about stuff that has been talked to death but man thinking about the "planned" future of this game is frustrating.

Widge

It does really need something more rewarding on the PvE front. I feel a bit weird complaining as it is classically Elite as it stands, which was totally an empty canvas as far as a game goes.

But. You look at all the Thargoid reveal stuff over youtube and feel like you want to be involved in that, but all you know you are going to be doing is point a to b activities.

Type 9 has pretty cool multicrew positions.

Great post. I keep thinking about how situational multicrew is, it's really bugging me. A *huge* problem, IMO, is that turreted weapons are the only crew-controllable weapons but pretty much a downgrade in every way compared to other weapons, except for maybe the Big Three or maybe just the slow turning ships in general. Why would ANYONE fly turreted weapons in their Cobra, FDL, ASP, etc.? There's just no reason to if you actually want to enjoy combat and save time (and thus, money).

So this means whenever you want to play multicrew, you *have* to reoutfit your ship. It's not nearly as "jump in and play" as they make it out to be. In reality, it will be "jump in and play after I visit this station and downgrade my weapons".

Advantages of having a gunner, of course, is an extra pip and I believe reddit has reported that having a gunner eliminates some of the jitter that turrets can sometimes have.

Yay for more Frontier Store content?

If they spent half as much time developing exploration as they do for store content I'd be a very happy customer.

I feel you, but the team working visual assets probably is separate/completely different from the team working on underlying gameplay systems. After all, adding new things to just "see" when exploring does nothing to deepen the gameplay. Adding visual interest can only go so far and only satisfies a subset of players who are fine spending hours upon hours just seeing "nice" things.

Pomerlaw

I loved the flight model and controls so much at first, but then after a while I realized I didn,t care about anything in the game. I think they made a mistake using PG to create bases - there are too many of them, none feel important.

The added grind with Engineers also kind of killed my interest.

I also always expected them to beat the competition in the PG worlds simulation (Braben hype). Now that I see what CIG is doing - the planets look so good and alive - I must say Frontier's PG tech looks quite dated.

I know SC planetary landing isn't playable yet but damn does it look good and ambitious. I could explore one planet like this for days and have more fun than scanning solar systems.

Where is the ambition for Elite? CIG is trying too much and will fail delivering on everytnhing but damn Frontier, I don't feel it anymore. Are they still excited about their game??

Mengy

Where is the ambition for Elite? CIG is trying too much and will fail delivering on everytnhing but damn Frontier, I don't feel it anymore. Are they still excited about their game??

We don't honestly know. We know nothing about what is coming after 2.3, update 2.4 is a secret, season 3 is a secret, and the roadmap for the future of the game is a secret, so no one knows anything about what Frontier has planned, what is coming, or even if anything is in the works. This has a boatload to do with the low morale of the community currently: there is nothing to look forward to.

Frontier really needs to change how they are developing Elite, their current strategy is not a good one, and it will catch up with them if they don't adapt.

I loved the flight model and controls so much at first, but then after a while I realized I didn,t care about anything in the game. I think they made a mistake using PG to create bases - there are too many of them, none feel important.

The added grind with Engineers also kind of killed my interest.

I also always expected them to beat the competition in the PG worlds simulation (Braben hype). Now that I see what CIG is doing - the planets look so good and alive - I must say Frontier's PG tech looks quite dated.

I know SC planetary landing isn't playable yet but damn does it look good and ambitious. I could explore one planet like this for days and have more fun than scanning solar systems.

At this point, I'm just a little baffled at what they've been working on.

2.0 came in 12/2015.
2.1 "Engineers" came in 5/2016
2.2 "Guardians" came in 10/2016
2.3 "Commanders" will come ~ 4/2016

That's 5-6 months between what should have been quarterly releases, without a whole lot to show for it. I've been a defender of FD/ED in the past but I guess I just had faith that, given all this time, multicrew or the next set of content would have more depth or at least things to do. Multicrew=situational combat is not exciting.

That little optimist in me thinks "maybe 2.4 will be a HUGE update and deepen the game" but my brain is like "nah son"

Mengy

At this point, I'm just a little baffled at what they've been working on.

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say the majority of Frontier has been working on Planet Coaster and the yet unnamed worldwide franchise game they've been awarded. Elite's development has both fallen behind schedule AND suffered from reduced feature implementation and scope. The game has either proven much more difficult to work on, or they moved personnel elsewhere.

In positive news, this LEGO idea for an AspX is amazing: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/169248

2887118-o_1ba0n9570coc92e1538126g3r2e-full.jpg

Vote :D It even has a little walk-out ramp that deploys.

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say the majority of Frontier has been working on Planet Coaster and the yet unnamed worldwide franchise game they've been awarded. Elite's development has both fallen behind schedule AND suffered from reduced feature implementation and scope. The game has either proven much more difficult to work on, or they moved personnel elsewhere.

When your fanbase starts losing faith in the future, you need to give some insight into the roadmap. It was beyond frustrating listening to Sandro get asked so many questions and answer "hm good idea, we'll think about it" and "maybe we'll get to that". Even a "that's planned" is better than nothing.

And Braben--man, I love the guy and love listening to him, but his Lore PAX video just makes me feel like he's completely out of touch. I mean, I *know* he and others are. Even Ed and Sandro were like "we're probably gonna die against beta players, they probably play way more than any of us" o_O

2.2 wasn't that bad. Ship-launched fighters are such a "small" feature but were a ton of fun for me, and I like the way Passenger missions help encourage exploration and are a legit way of earning income. Plus a lot of QoL improvements.

A fairly barebones avatar creator, a decent camera suite, and a gimped Multicrew feature just aren't exciting and don't even offer the small amount of depth that 2.2 offered.

SmartBase

Sandro himself said multi-crew doesn't have more roles because they lacked time and resources, it's pretty clear their main staff are on other projects.

I'd be very surprised if they ended up doing this season model again.

DrBo42

Sandro himself said multi-crew doesn't have more roles because they lacked time and resources, it's pretty clear their main staff are on other projects.

I'd be very surprised if they ended up doing this season model again.

The community won't survive this piecemeal barely functional framework bullshit for another season.

danowat

Banned
Anyone know if it will be possible to use my XBO account on my PS4?

My XBO is no longer my main platform, as I have a PS4 Pro, and ED is pretty much the only thing I still play on the XBO, if I could use my XBO account on my PS4, I could dump my XBO.

Caayn

Anyone know if it will be possible to use my XBO account on my PS4?

My XBO is no longer my main platform, as I have a PS4 Pro, and ED is pretty much the only thing I still play on the XBO, if I could use my XBO account on my PS4, I could dump my XBO.
I asked if I could transfer between PC and XB1 last year, never got a response to my question. So I guess that Frontier isn't offering such a service. Might be worth a try though.

Saganator

I haven't played ED in a while or paid much attention to news for it. Saw this bump and was hoping I've missed out on awesome updates but I guess not :(

I haven't played ED in a while or paid much attention to news for it. Saw this bump and was hoping I've missed out on awesome updates but I guess not :(

Don't get us wrong--there HAVE been some pretty awesome updates, as well as lots of QoL improvements. Just not a whole lot to deepen the gameplay, 2.3 is looking underwhelming, and we have no idea what the future of the game is.

Not to sound like it's dead or dying, mind you. We just literally have no idea what the roadmap could be. I think a few of us held out hope that Season 3 would bring the baby steps of Space Legs/Elite Feet, but that was basically squashed by Sandro over PAX. So, now--?????

Mengy

If you love playing combat in Elite then the game is developing very nicely. If you like doing anything other than straight up combat then it isn't developing hardly at all. The passenger feature is pretty nice but it's just another form of trading really. Except for that, Elite's development is squarely focused on combat, and new features which the Frontier Store can monetize.

Some reddit users posting some amazing compositions of the distant future of Star Citizen Elite Dangerous:

Bad joke maybe but I wonder if we'll ever have this level of fidelity in Elite.

3ds Max:

UE4 (fucking treasure trove of thirst right here):

*sigh*

Anyway, here are some official screens from PAX. I'd love them to make the megaships a part of gameplay. Drop into a system, receive an urgent distress call, beckoning any nearby pilots to come and defend a megaship under attack. Find the beacon, drop in, and pick whether you want to attack or defend the megaship. Successful defenders get a big rank upgrade as well as reward based on the type of megaship (cargo=rare goods/commodities or materials; science=rare scan data for engineering or choice of engineered modules; military=temporary access to military ship purchases, etc.). "Successful" attackers are different--maybe individual components of the megaship can be destroyed, streaming out valuable goods. Scoop what you can carry then GTFO.

Nice to dream, right? And of course, these screens are purely combat-focused.

Mengy

Anton that whole post is depressing as hell.

Frontier can't even add colors and variety to lifeless worlds even a quarter as good as the one man making Space Engine can, there ain't no way we are seeing anything even remotely resembling Anton's pics within the next three years. Maybe in five years if we are very lucky. Frontier will have to wait for gaming tech to advance a LOT before they can brute force their Cobra engine to do anything like that. And even then, it won't look like that.

This is one area where Star Citizen will probably catch and surpass Elite. They seem to be much farther along with interesting planets, and their engine seems much better equipped to handle it.

Sibylus

Banned
I want to pick up the game and do some exploration, but knowledge of the browning (and flattening) of so many of the planets, and that a fix isn't coming with the next release... fuck.

I'm bummed out.

Anton that whole post is depressing as hell.

Frontier can't even add colors and variety to lifeless worlds even a quarter as good as the one man making Space Engine can, there ain't no way we are seeing anything even remotely resembling Anton's pics within the next three years. Maybe in five years if we are very lucky. Frontier will have to wait for gaming tech to advance a LOT before they can brute force their Cobra engine to do anything like that. And even then, it won't look like that.

This is one area where Star Citizen will probably catch and surpass Elite. They seem to be much farther along with interesting planets, and their engine seems much better equipped to handle it.

Exactly lol

g6nTcVA.gif

2.3 Beta Update: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/337328-2-3-Beta-Update-3

Some highlights--like this FU to multicrew exploration, if anyone ever wanted to do it:
Crew members now have access to the helm's exploration data while part of a crew, however, crew members will not gain any new exploration data earned while part of the crew
Balanced Orca by lowering the weight, making it faster with bigger jump distance
Rebalanced ships: DBX now has an extra size 2 slot and is a bit lighter, Asp Scout has a new size 2 slot and a size 5 slot replacing one of it's size 4 ones. Beluga mass brought more in line with other large ships to help FSD range
Balance pass on the Federal Condor, increasing it's transverse acceleration from 10 to 20

Reddit posted on the DBX improvements:
New DBX hull mass is 260T. Max range (unengineered) is about 38.04. This is with a scanner, no DSS or SRV. Really good actually. 36.98 with shield, srv and DSS.
Fully engineered explorer build 54.06 with +47% optimal mass, lightweight everything else. With 2D distributor for boosting. If it had a good fuel scoop it would dethrone the AspX. Pretty much perfect roll gives 55.22Ly. You could probably squeeze 57 with better rolls in FSD and lightweight stuff.

I actually may pick up a DBX when 2.3 drops.

dumbo

Some highlights--like this FU to multicrew exploration, if anyone ever wanted to do it:

I'm not sure what you mean, but FDev can't easily do anything else.

You are exploring in remote space.. I drop in whilst you explore, then I drop out and sell the exploration data... I would get my name registered as the discoverer of those system. It would also lead to players 'gaming' any exploration CG.

My own feeling is that careers (and supercruise activities) generally need a rethink, but that certainly isn't going to be part of 2.3.

I'm not sure what you mean, but FDev can't easily do anything else.

You are exploring in remote space.. I drop in whilst you explore, then I drop out and sell the exploration data... I would get my name registered as the discoverer of those system. It would also lead to players 'gaming' any exploration CG.

My own feeling is that careers (and supercruise activities) generally need a rethink, but that certainly isn't going to be part of 2.3.

You're describing a situation that can happen with Multicrew in combat, though, right? Drop in, collect bounty vouchers, drop out. Or is there a restriction on this somehow?

Maybe they're worried about exploration data being buffed so much that people will *actually* want to do it, but who cares? Worse case scenario, players get around the awful grind. But I guess that IS a bad situation for them since ship grind is mostly what the endgame is right now.

As for discovery credits, they can easily get around this by defaulting it to the helmsman (their ship, they get the glory) or just, y'know, change it so a group of explorers can be listed as the first discoverers. How hard could that be?

I'm just pointing out that they're not just sitting idly by the thought of "multicrew is useless for explorers", they're doubling down on it and basically punishing multicrew exploration, if it is even attempted.

Top Bottom