• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

iosefe

holy fuck!

got pulled into a nuetron star and almost couldn't escape, went up to 237 heat, and then managed to jump out. then almost got pulled into the next systems star because i was distracted by my sister talking to me.

the whole time the Interstellar sountrack is playing No Time for Caution

as as i'm pulling into the station, my ship goes full speed boost by accident, killing me

the best part? i respawned in Hel

holy fuck!

got pulled into a nuetron star and almost couldn't escape, went up to 237 heat, and then managed to jump out. then almost got pulled into the next systems star because i was distracted by my sister talking to me.

the whole time the Interstellar sountrack is playing No Time for Caution

as as i'm pulling into the station, my ship goes full speed boost by accident, killing me

the best part? i respawned in Hel

ED has the best moments, actually.

Trouble

Banned
ED has the best moments, actually.

When I returned to ED after a pretty long hiatus I screwed up when getting interdicted and almost got killed. Canopy blew out and cockpit electronics were fried, so no HUD. Getting back to a station before life support ran out was quite an adventure. It was a weird simultaneous highlight/lowlight.

Volimar

Man I'm seriously impressed with the work FD put into the
unknown link
and the methodology it uses to find other
Thargoid bases

You think that's impressive, spend time in the Canonn thread. Those guys are giddy as schoolgirls right now with all this discovery.

DrBo42

Man I'm seriously impressed with the work FD put into the
unknown link
and the methodology it uses to find other
Thargoid bases

You think that's impressive, spend time in the Canonn thread. Those guys are giddy as schoolgirls right now with all this discovery.
For real that stuff is pretty amazing. Actual puzzle you can solve that's competent and doesn't require tools outside the game.

Kyoufu

What's up with Resource Extraction Sites? Flew around for so long but the only ships I encountered were the security vessels patrolling the sites. I found one Viper that was Wanted but that was really it. Felt like a waste of time. Granted, that was a Low intensity site, but if I go into a High intensity site in my lowbie ship I'd probably get crushed, right?

What's up with Resource Extraction Sites? Flew around for so long but the only ships I encountered were the security vessels patrolling the sites. I found one Viper that was Wanted but that was really it. Felt like a waste of time. Granted, that was a Low intensity site, but if I go into a High intensity site in my lowbie ship I'd probably get crushed, right?

Sometimes they have really bad spawns, but you can "refresh" the RES by leaving (via supercruise) and coming back. Fly around for a while and see what kind of ships are spawning, and reroll if it doesn't look meaty enough. High RESes also have police patrols, so it's pretty safe to go have a look; in hazardous sites you're on your own.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
DerZuhälter;242329537 said:
Since re-reviews are not really a thing:

Is the PS4 version any good and the game in general managable with a controller?

I'm a new player so my opinion isn't as valuable as a PC vet playing on the PS4, but: Yes and yes.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Just delivered some clothing/appliances to Rakapila, now to wait for that sweet profit. I enjoyed Oolite in the past, now having fun with this one.

Is the PS4 version any good and the game in general managable with a controller?

Yes to the second. Started playing yesterday, was a tad disappointed it wouldn't run with my ps3 HOTAS X (appears to be the same as the HOTAS 4, just that one's blue) but playing with a controller is fine. They've done a good job of mapping the large number of functions to the limited controller real estate using the face buttons as modifiers.

They've also done something I really like: using the sixaxis as a toggle headlook, so you can quickly scan your surroundings without having to constantly balance your controller.

DrBo42

Sometimes they have really bad spawns, but you can "refresh" the RES by leaving (via supercruise) and coming back. Fly around for a while and see what kind of ships are spawning, and reroll if it doesn't look meaty enough. High RESes also have police patrols, so it's pretty safe to go have a look; in hazardous sites you're on your own.

Yeah, you got a shitty spawn variation.

Kyoufu

Yeah, you got a shitty spawn variation.

Tried again and more shitty spawns :(

Peroroncino

The most bang for the buck ship you can get. I enjoined my time blowing up all the big (expensive) ships with it. Bounty hunting is a blast with the Vulture!

It's very nimble and those 2 big hardpoints can really kick some ass. Already killed 1 anaconda and couple Pythons.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, looks lovely on PS4. I had to completely rearrange the stick layout so it was more comfortable for me, but everything else is laid out in a pretty sensible way.

Just delivered some clothing/appliances to Rakapila, now to wait for that sweet profit. I enjoyed Oolite in the past, now having fun with this one.

Yes to the second. Started playing yesterday, was a tad disappointed it wouldn't run with my ps3 HOTAS X (appears to be the same as the HOTAS 4, just that one's blue) but playing with a controller is fine. They've done a good job of mapping the large number of functions to the limited controller real estate using the face buttons as modifiers.

They've also done something I really like: using the sixaxis as a toggle headlook, so you can quickly scan your surroundings without having to constantly balance your controller.

Did you tested it? Does it really not run with the X? The X would be so much cheaper on Amazon and has way better reviews... :/

Oh and a question to the Sixaxis, I also love that feature, but whats very strange to me is that when I move the controller to the left, my character looks to the right and when I move it to the right he looks to the left. Up and down works but left and right is switched which makes no sense. Can I change that? Haven't found an option for it.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Did you tested it? Does it really not run with the X? The X would be so much cheaper on Amazon and has way better reviews... :/

Oh and a question to the Sixaxis, I also love that feature, but what is very strange to me is that when I move the controller to the left, my character looks to the right and when I move it to the right he looks to the left. Up and down works but left and right is switched which makes no sense. Can I change that? Haven't found an option for it.

I haven't but there's a thread on the Frontier forums and apparently someone did test it.

Re: the headlook, you're doing the thing I did at first and yawing the controller. Left and right are done by rolling the controller, for some reason.

They're having trouble getting consistent performance on the PS4 Pro right now, I think PSVR support isn't looking too good. In any case there have been no plans announced for it.

Which is a shame cause this game hasn't much to render in the first place. There is no reason that one single space station has aliasing and tearing from hell. I really don't get it. Maybe they should hire better programmers.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Only found one review for PS4 at 4players.de and they mention tearing on both PS4 and PRO. Is that true? Because I really hate tearing.

In one of the recent Frontier livestreams one of the devs sounded surprised by the tearing almost as if it were a bug.

Hoping that's the case.

GeeTeeCee

Just started playing, and I'm already struggling with the advanced combat tutorial. It takes forever for the pulse lasers to drop the target's shields, and no matter how fast or slow I go the bounty inevitably outmaneuveurs me and I can't get the target back in my sights for more than a second or two before it vanishes behind me again and blows me up.

Just started playing, and I'm already struggling with the advanced combat tutorial. It takes forever for the pulse lasers to drop the target's shields, and no matter how fast or slow I go the bounty inevitably outmaneuveurs me and I can't get the target back in my sights for more than a second or two before it vanishes behind me again and blows me up.

I can't beat it too, not even close, Dark Souls blindfolded would be easier.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Only found one review for PS4 at 4players.de and they mention tearing on both PS4 and PRO. Is that true? Because I really hate tearing.

Yeah, when you're in an asteroid field on PS4 and using headlook or making fast manoeuvres it gets pretty teary.

I beat the first guy but he blew a hole in my windscreen :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, I had no idea passenger missions were so lucrative early-game. Getting nearly 3 million credits for a relatively easy (though somewhat long) route.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
To these two posts:
tenor.gif

(I feel like this will get a lot of mileage in this thread.)

With that last gif of everyone crashing into the surface, what exactly was happening?
Why did they need a Neutron star on the other side? Did they know it would work like that?

I was there in that gif with all the ships exploding.

We used neutron jumping to fly into a cluster of stars high above the galaxy which were previously unreachable, just to explore that which had never been explored before. Problem was that without a neutron star on the other side we literally had no way to get back, so it was very much a one way suicide mission of exploration.

Thus, that gif of all of the ships exploding is the fleet committing group suicide. We flew high over HD 76133 and switched off our engines, freefalling together down to the surface where our ships were of course destroyed, sending us back to the bubble.

giphy.gif

Frontier has now actually commemorated the event by putting an "Anaconda graveyard" on the surface of HD 76133:

Of course, to even fly up and even SEE the graveyard is also a suicide mission with no way back. :)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I was there in that gif with all the ships exploding.

We used neutron jumping to fly into a cluster of stars high above the galaxy which were previously unreachable, just to explore that which had never been explored before. Problem was that without a neutron star on the other side we literally had no way to get back, so it was very much a one way suicide mission of exploration.

Thus, that gif of all of the ships exploding is the fleet committing group suicide. We flew high over HD 76133 and switched off our engines, freefalling together down to the surface where our ships were of course destroyed, sending us back to the bubble.

giphy.gif

Frontier has now actually commemorated the event by putting an "Anaconda graveyard" on the surface of HD 76133:

Of course, to even fly up and even SEE the graveyard is also a suicide mission with no way back. :)

Wow, thanks for sharing the grizzly deets! That's simply awesome. Us PS4 players have had this game less than a week and yet already it's making me feel strange new emotions, I tell thee.

I'm down a couple of beers, going through this thread, jonesing for my next opportunity to jump back into the game, but...hope it's not too weird to say I feel humbled by some of the ED legends up ins.

I'm playing on a pro, with the quality graphics setting. I get a little tearing when freelooking around the cockpit now and again, but flying around, doing most normal things, I never see it. Or it's so slight I never notice.

The complaints about ps4 performance, at least on the pro, seem a bit overblown to me. There are far worse performing games out there.

Having a great time myself.

Edit: after reading some of the other responses above, I must admit I haven't done much high speed mining or hunting in asteroid fields. But when I've flown through, nothing really jumped out at me as terrible.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Wow, 35 Thargoid sites have been discovered so far, all localized to the Maia vicinity though.

JambiBum

I guess the upside of the new discovery stuff is that it shows that FDev can actual implement compelling content into the game and not just bullet point features. Hopefully 2.4 is more of this kind of stuff.

DrBo42

Wow, 35 Thargoid sites have been discovered so far, all localized to the Maia vicinity though.

I'm assuming it's not actually leading to anything new though. Just duplicate assets in different configurations.

I guess the upside of the new discovery stuff is that it shows that FDev can actual implement compelling content into the game and not just bullet point features. Hopefully 2.4 is more of this kind of stuff.

It does to a point. You still need to analyse the sound out of game to get a system name (if I'm not mistaken) but using the Unknown Link in gameplay to further the puzzle is very cool and rather encouraging. I'll take the halfway measure over what we had before.

Edit: Canonn even made a nice map for it. https://map.canonn.technology/us/

Jedi2016

When you can experience that "compelling content" more through YouTube videos than playing the game yourself, it's not really that impressive anymore.

DrBo42

When you can experience that "compelling content" more through YouTube videos than playing the game yourself, it's not really that impressive anymore.

That's also kind of true but I'd imagine going down to a surface and either figuring things out on your own or just seeing it live rather than YouTube is a better experience. I agree there's not much difference from a player's point of view since it's so low on actual gameplay. And half of the gameplay is getting a cargo bay engineered to carry the tools you need to see what's down there and the RNG issues of getting the required items.

Quick question, do we PS4 players have the same universe as the PC players? Or is it a completely new PS4 only universe that started just a few days ago?

Peroroncino

What weapon would be the best for my Vulture if I'm currently only bounty hunting in high res? 3F Pulse Laser gimballed? Or maybe 3C multi-cannon? My aim isn't there yet for fixed, though I've started to practice, usually when enemy uses chaff I lose the target and go manual.

Quick question, do we PS4 players have the same universe as the PC players? Or is it a completely new PS4 only universe that started just a few days ago?

The same, universe is shared between PC/XO/PS4.

Jedi2016

My biggest complaint is that there's really nothing for me to actually do with any of these things except go look at them (assuming I'm anywhere near the bubble when they release them). And there's no sense of people actually figuring anything out over a period of time like I think they're supposed to (I get the impression that Frontier intends for this stuff to last the entire patch, but players usually have it solved in a matter of hours). By the time I get home from work on the day the patch drops, there's already an ObsidianAnt video with every last little detail about the stuff.

Top Bottom