• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burny

It's amazing how fun the Asp is for combat. Not ideal in any sense of the word, but she can totally not be shit if you get around how to power slide her correctly and use FA off.

Maybe I'm thinking too much about the PvE balance here, but normally, I'd expect a Vulture player who knows what they're doing to handily destroy an ASP. Not to mention if they were accompanied by a Courier, which should leave any ASP severly outgunned. o_O Good for you. ^^

Maybe I'm thinking too much about the PvE balance here, but normally, I'd expect a Vulture player who knows what they're doing to handily destroy an ASP. Not to mention if they were accompanied by a Courier, which should leave any ASP severly outgunned. o_O Good for you. ^^

Nah, you're right on the money. There is no way I should have won it. I was full butt clench the ENTIRE TIME. I made it out with sub 70% hull. I have no idea why the Vulture bailed, maybe his courier friend wanted to regroup and jump me after he respawned, but I never saw them again.

It was a combination of them just not knowing how to properly attack, perhaps expecting me to drop cargo and/or run, or not expecting a fully A-spec'd kit with mil-spec armour. Or they just couldn't press an advantage. It was kind of embarrassing. I wish I recorded it.

Pomerlaw

attachment.php

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I saw that pic on the official forums. That particular ice planet has ammonia magma volcanism which is tinting the ice to greenish color. It's awesome that the surface colors are affected by stuff like that!

Seems like terrain and texture LOD has been improved?
That's one way of putting it.

Sidebar, as a sound in games nut I'm looking forward to seeing what's improved there. I've been LOVING the sound design of Horizons (the audio cue for recalling your ship is fucking great). Does anyone know if there's a guide to the wavescanner out there, something that might help discern the patterns? I mean I've learned to distinguish between rocks and derelicts a bit.. I guess. :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Sidebar, as a sound in games nut I'm looking forward to seeing what's improved there. I've been LOVING the sound design of Horizons (the audio cue for recalling your ship is fucking great). Does anyone know if there's a guide to the wavescanner out there, something that might help discern the patterns? I mean I've learned to distinguish between rocks and derelicts a bit.. I guess. :)

The sound design in Elite is incredible. I've taken to playing with my headphones on because all of the little miniscule sounds all over the game are so awesome, not to mention it helps with the planet sounds on the system map while exploring.

The sound design in Elite is incredible. I've taken to playing with my headphones on because all of the little miniscule sounds all over the game are so awesome, not to mention it helps with the planet sounds on the system map while exploring.
Planet sounds on the system map? What about them?

Don't tell me I've missed a ton of something because the game doesn't document shit...

I think his biggest complaint is the lack of craggy hard edges. That is still something you don't see. Big step forward though. I expect more improvements over time.

Serrato

Planet sounds on the system map? What about them?

Don't tell me I've missed a ton of something because the game doesn't document shit...

when you click on a planet on the system map, you will hear a sound. Depending on that sound, you can determine approximately what type it is without scanning it. It was discovered not long ago.

And it's less that ''not documented'' and more you learn the quirks and secret things. Anyway, once someone found it, everyone can know it.

SmartBase

Honestly the planetscapes in Horizons look like some of the early renders I made using the first Terragen many years ago, it really needs horizontal displacement. Have to agree with Burny on the way the planets look.

so i can pay 40 bucks to land on planets that look barren as fuck. Where is this leading up to? Is there a particular goal they have outlined and made clear to the community? Maybe planet stations, or new types of bases with missions and purpose? New mission types to interact with NPCs like in RES, things like exploring the planet itself for possibly hidden resources that can be mined, or exploration data that could be grounded in reality but that could also be sold?

this is expansion seems to be lacking depth beyond landing on planets in a 4v4 and looking and/or driving around ice cliffs imo, and so far I'm not sold on it.

so i can pay 40 bucks to land on planets that look barren as fuck. Where is this leading up to? Is there a particular goal they have outlined and made clear to the community? Maybe planet stations, or new types of bases with missions and purpose? New mission types to interact with NPCs like in RES, things like exploring the planet itself for possibly hidden resources that can be mined, or exploration data that could be grounded in reality but that could also be sold?

this is expansion seems to be lacking depth beyond landing on planets in a 4v4 and looking and/or driving around ice cliffs imo, and so far I'm not sold on it.

Literally everything you mentioned is in Horizons. Well, not NPCs proper, but you can accept those missions.

Did you read anything? :p Almost every interview with Braben or Frontier, they mention all of this. Same for this thread (past few pages) and the thread we have dedicated to Horizons. I think I even put a "here is the stuff you can do" section in that thread.

There are already planet bases to land on and missions to do on the surfaces and resources to collect on the surface. Exploration data is enhanced by landing on planets as well.

Literally everything you mentioned is in Horizons. Well, not NPCs proper, but you can accept those missions.

Did you read anything? :p Almost every interview with Braben or Frontier, they mention all of this. Same for this thread (past few pages) and the thread we have dedicated to Horizons. I think I even put a "here is the stuff you can do" section in that thread.

dude ive been trying to grind my noob ass to 20 mil so i can kit an asp explorer so I've been busy trying to find quick ways to make money in the current game's mechanics, having had time to really dig for what Horizons will bring. Ive read every post in this thread but not the changelog for the patch.

there's a horizon's thread? i should check that.

dude ive been trying to grind my noob ass to 20 mil so i can kit an asp explorer so I've been busy trying to find quick ways to make money in the current game's mechanics, having had time to really dig for what Horizons will bring. Ive read every post in this thread but not the changelog for the patch.

there's a horizon's thread? i should check that.

Here, bruh.

However, over the past few pages, bet agaffers talked about how its still very much a "huge immersive environment with some new gameplay additions" for better or worse. It's also kinda hard to see the big picture without playing it for a while.

For example, there are some enhancements to exploration related to Horizons (finding new planetary materials gains you credits, for example). It's hard to understand how big or little their impact is without explorers going out onto trips and comparing their profit when exploring planets versus just scanning as many planets as possible.

What's also important to understand is that Horizons isn't limited to what comes with this newest version. All the content releases this year are included. We know that means multicrew ships, pilot creation, small fighters that can be launched from larger ships and enhancements to the crafting system that will come with this release and probably more.

^ Bingo. Horizons will be lots of new content for the rest of the year.

Profits with planet exploration will be lower per hour, for sure... but the added fun per hour... incalculable?

I'm about to check out how they tightened up the graphics now. Will report back on the tightness.

Snow covered landscape does look much much better. The texture detail extends much further as well, at least on the snow world I'm on now. Also the transition to Glide from OC was almost seamless. I've had some almost seamless and some take several seconds so that might have just been a good transition compared to most. The rocks on the surface need a lot of work. They stand out like a sour thumb. Worse than before.

Snow covered landscape does look much much better. The texture detail extends much further as well, at least on the snow world I'm on now. Also the transition to Glide from OC was almost seamless. I've had some almost seamless and some take several seconds so that might have just been a good transition compared to most.

Probably not in your head--could be one of these or the combo? Esp the first one.

- Changes to smooth out jerky camera motion from the inertial simulation during supercruise transitions - Primarily aimed at Orbital Cruise to Glide transition
- When dropping to Glide make sure the Normal-space Ship is told about its above-normal starting velocity to prevent glide being interpreted as a huge instantaneous acceleration
- Slight change to the speed curve in Orbital Cruise so that the players ship will naturally tend towards 2.5k/s a little more strongly in the last second, so we get a much smaller speed discontinuity
- The temporary placeholder ship used during the transition now inherits velocity correctly, removing speed/FOV discontinuity at both ends

Hope they can carry that over to SC in space :)

I'm noticing that my performance is better than ever including super cruise. It's pretty much pinned to 165 in super cruise. Surface fps 80-100 fps. Max settings, 1440p.

I have a weird mission here called END GAME. It involves meeting a contact at a certain time in a nearby system. It has a strange icon and no reward.

It's a diamond with an eye in the center. I'm doing it. I met the contact now he wants me to destroy an authority ship in another system, then I guess there will be more but he can't tell me more yet,

I have a weird mission here called END GAME. It involves meeting a contact at a certain time in a nearby system. It has a strange icon and no reward.

I had one of these with just an eyeball icon. I was to meet a man named Sebastian in space within a given time frame, but he never came. Probably a multiparter, but nah, no dots under the icon.

Oh and I'm pleased to report the graphics are super tight.

That was anti-climatic. It was a multi-parter but once I destroyed the authority ship that was it. I got a reward that I collected at the station that I picked up the mission, there was a message at the end though. Something like, "I wasn't sure about you but you proved yourself." It shows potential to have a story line with named characters though if more missions came from the same organization/NPC. It could be like the Naval Progression missions but with some complexity that could tell a story line over time but it's not there yet. I doubt I'll see Bill again. Oh yeah, reward was 40K. ha ha

Hylian7

Had to give in and set my graphics to low. Beta 4 successfully retired my 660ti.

Yeah, mine has been somewhat inconsistent with performance. At the beginning of the beta, my FPS was <10 on planets, and then I had to turn terrain to low, which got me 60+ FPS and doesn't look terrible. I can now set it on medium-ish settings where at first I get <10 FPS for a few seconds, then it goes up to the 50s.

Burny

Don't forget the bonus picture!

VudgHRS.jpg

Well, hot damn (via reddit)

1449603229-elitedangerous64-08-12-2015-18-17-44-744.jpg

Planets looking fantastic now. The added detail helps break up the "roundness" of some of the terrain, too.

Look.

woavlvV.jpg

Getting better and better.

NO CLIFFS, NO PEACE!

edit: that last shot in Anton's post...hoochie mama, my pants are tightening.

But is Burny satisfied? That's all that matters.

I think his biggest complaint is the lack of craggy hard edges. That is still something you don't see. Big step forward though. I expect more improvements over time.

Haha. ^^

What they've done amounts to a bug fix / optimization as well as adding some desparately needed definition and variety to the textures and their coloring. Before, planets viewed from the orbit were often nearly texture less, with grating LOD switches and texture pop ins. That's of course all good and makes Horizons less broken. ;-)
Although I think the textures viewed from the orbit are often not as sharp as they could be. It's a bit hard to tell however - it could also just be that some of the craters are that smooth. Without being able to see considerably smaller micro-craters for reference, it may as well be reaslistic that they sometimes look so feature-less. Or it might as well be large scale vertical displacement that is missing, which would make some surface features sharp, even from that distance.

As for being satisfied, no, of course I'm not. ^^ Rocky areas are still just textures painted on smooth, flowing surfaces when you get a bit closer - as the topmost two screenshots show very well (the improved texture definition is much appreciated though!). Textured height maps alone simply don't cut it. We get billions of planets, but none of them is convincing by todays visual standards, unless it's a completely smooth, rounded and dusty rock or ice ball.

It's not just the lack of vertical cliffs and overhangs. Imagine you have a very steep cliff now. Two neighbouring points for the surface genereation are kilometers apart - vertically. Currently, the game will draw a smooth curve through them. That's not how such cliffs would work however, probably not even when they're formed from of ice, which might be layered/grown and then cracked. If you add horizontal displacement to such a cliff, you suddenly don't merely have two points to generate detail from for a surface area of maybe several square kilometers. You can then generate sub-detail within that cliff that's currently only imitated by the texture's normal map. Which is fine in order to simulate such finer details from a distance (large scale details should still be horizontally displaced), but looks like an early 2000s flight sim's landscape with added normal maps and higher texture resolution/greater view distance by today's standards. Where are the bedrock layers? Where are the ice layers? Since when is a kilometer high broken rock surface smooth as a baby's arse? With a normal map. ;)

Honestly the planetscapes in Horizons look like some of the early renders I made using the first Terragen many years ago, it really needs horizontal displacement. Have to agree with Burny on the way the planets look.

+1

Man, I've been keeping an eye on this game's development for a year now and I keep getting closer and closer to buying it >.< I really should have jumped on that Steam Sale price, but the new 'Season' content confused the hell out of me.

Quick question: Is there timelimit on COMPLETED missions?

No there isn't. Turn them in at your leisure. I still have a completed CG from 3 months ago. Just haven't been bothered to go back to Hutton Orbital. Not for $3 million when I have $2.5 billion. But I will go eventually. It's quite the ride!

Man, I've been keeping an eye on this game's development for a year now and I keep getting closer and closer to buying it >.< I really should have jumped on that Steam Sale price, but the new 'Season' content confused the hell out of me.
Just scoop it when Horizons comes out. It'll come with everything you need. All you missed out on was about a month of "head start" if you will.

Finally jumping back into this after being gone for about a year and can someone tell me wtf happened to the engine? Running a 4k downsample causes the LOD to freak the fuck out, or not load at all. Did not use to have this issue (at least not this pronounced)

4kprob26wqwv.jpg

4kprob14gr2p.jpg

Running a 2xTitan SLI so it's not a performance problem, it never dips below 60, but this shit is infuriating, I can give it a temp fix by changing the resolution in game which forces the right LOD to load. Anyone have some clues as to any config files I can mess with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom