• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon’s Twitter Carnival of Stupidity (No Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Seems it's already part of the plan, and the successor is likely to be controversial.

Can we please not do the "All according to plan!" And "4D chess stuff.

If he hadn't gotten backlash for banning the reporters, across the board backlash for attempting to ban the links, and having Tesla tanking alongside it all the poll wouldn't exist and he would still be there for awhile. Instead it's been a horrible week for him PR wise and here we are.

So there is no "plan". It's just a long series of mistakes adding up to this moment and he realizes that he has become the problem so he is going to step aside.

Last edited:

Amiga

Lol, aren't the votes not he would have expected?
He would still be the private owner of Twitter. The CEO would work for him and would maintain course. The change is complete and there isn't much more policy to alter. The needed work now is in the technical and business side.

Amiga

Can we please not do the "All according to plan!" And "4D chess stuff.

If he hadn't gotten backlash for banning the reporters, across the board backlash for attempting to ban the links, and having Tesla tanking alongside it all the poll wouldn't exist and he would still be there for awhile. Instead it's been a horrible week for him PR wise and here we are.

So there is no "plan". It's just a long series of mistakes adding up to this moment and he realizes that he has become the problem so he is going to step aside.

In staying CEO he would just be a mod. No point in that. Already did what he needed to do. Conversation is open again.

In staying CEO he would just be a mod. No point in that. Already did what he needed to do. Conversation is open again.

DhuyIKxXUAA1IU0

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Conversation is open?

He tried to ban several journalists and then tried to ban people from sharing their profiles from competing sites. The only recent both decisions were rescinded was due to backlash.

It's been a circus.

Last edited:

Amiga

Conversation is open?

He tried to ban several journalists and then tried to ban people from sharing their profiles from competing sites. The only recent both decisions were rescinded was due to backlash.

It's been a circus.
At least he was responsive. And he realized it's turning into a long war of attrition that should be managed by someone else.

Even if the main things we get from this are the twitter files, the recent "wait, no, not US!" hypocrisy from those who were quite ban happy before Musk took over, and considerably fewer forbidden opinions, I'll be happy with some of the things he was able to do. It's a shame he seems to be making so many other mistakes along the way.

It's also crazy that he can't even wait half a week before rolling out a change this stupid (no mentioning other social media) after doing something else that also should be properly discussed from all sides, which is the whole issue surrounding the banning of real time location updates. There's just too much happening too quickly. He needs to slow down and find some people who are supportive of his intentions but critical of his methods, and there's a lot to criticize.

He would still be the private owner of Twitter. The CEO would work for him and would maintain course. The change is complete and there isn't much more policy to alter. The needed work now is in the technical and business side.

Right. As long as he owns twitter, he'll always have the most influence, which makes this poll seem mostly pointless. With a new CEO, some things could happen that wouldn't have been his personal choice, but I doubt any fundamental change that he doesn't support would ever be allowed.

Journalists were banned for either publishing real time location information, or linking to a website that publishes that information. I'm fine with the removal of that information, but not the journalists in question.

The thing is, you can no more prove or know that Musk's intent was to ban those accounts forever "the only reason both decisions were rescinded" anymore than I or anyone else could prove or know that Musk's intent wasn't always for a brief temporary ban. But either way, these journalists did get their their accounts back, which is more than I can say for many journalists and other professionals who lost their accounts to the censorship happy people who used to run the place.

Not that I'm letting Musk off the hook either, because this latest "you may not mention other social media platforms" was perhaps his stupidest move yet, and it very much goes against the idea of a platform that values free speech.

Goalus

He’s referring to this:

I love his Brie Larson content.
If it weren't for him, I wouldn't even know her. His videos made me realize how entertaining a feminist actress attacking the male audience can really be.
He gets my vote.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This entire situation is a great example in how a core philosophical principle like "free speech" is better able to be manifested in a framework backed by the government and the code of law rather than a framework whose survival is dependent on the tenets of capitalism and making a profit.

It's similar to the criticisms Chomsky had of the corporate controlled media in his book Manufacturing Consent, but now reimagined in a 21st century tech version. Free speech can't truly be free under capitalism. Kinda ironic, but it keeps happening.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
At least he was responsive. And he realized it's turning into a long war of attrition that should be managed by someone else.

War of attrition? Come on.

What we’re seeing is a pattern of musk doing something rash (sometimes just because his ego gets bruised) which then emerges as Twitter policy but because it’s rash and not well thought out causes friction which means Twitter has to reformulate the policy.

Last edited:

Ionian

I'm an idiot but what is this real time stuff? Surely every post is time-stamped?

I don't use Twittter. Tried but was just a vapid cesspool of nothing.

Apart from the ex-mod posting rediculous shit. That was glorious. 'I'm not readind the responses but I know about them'. Brilliant stuff, accused here of attacking when the only thing yjay happened was people laughing.

Last edited:
I'm an idiot but what is this real time stuff? Surely every post is time-stamped?
It wasn't about time stamps. It was about sharing the real time location of people using GPS-like information that isn't publicly available. I thought this was a pretty good explanation of the situation. That video is timestamped, and it's highly political before and afterward, so I won't be discussing any other aspects of the video here. But the explanation of the policy seen in the video comes from the New York Times and NBC news.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It wasn't about time stamps. It was about sharing the real time location of people using GPS-like information that isn't publicly available. I thought this was a pretty good explanation of the situation. That video is timestamped, and it's highly political before and afterward, so I won't be discussing any other aspects of the video here. But the explanation of the policy seen in the video comes from the New York Times and NBC news.

Honestly it is publicly available information at this point… just because it’s not provided by the government or a corporation does not negate that fact.

You cannot jail people for listening to open, unencrypted communication over radio waves.

Last edited:

Ionian

wifioom It wasn't about time stamps. It was about sharing the real time location of people using GPS-like information that isn't publicly available. I thought this was a pretty good explanation of the situation. That video is timestamped, and it's highly political before and afterward, so I won't be discussing any other aspects of the video here. But the explanation of the policy seen in the video comes from the New York Times and NBC news.

Cheers! Was confused, makes more sense. :)

My internet i also shiiiiiiit. Hence the slow response. WIFI.

Toons

I love his Brie Larson content.
If it weren't for him, I wouldn't even know her. His videos made me realize how entertaining a feminist actress attacking the male audience can really be.
He gets my vote.

You didn't see Kong Skull Island?

xrnzaaas

What's the point of keeping the thread if no discussions about politics are allowed? To post (sfw) jokes about Elon?

After a short period of peace & quiet he's starting to do what 'the other side' was doing before the acquisition - censoring and banning people to silence them on the platform. It's just a different group of people now.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I mean, the fact that he's making decisions from online polls is reason enough. The guy is a such a mess, especially with all these side-quests that doesn't make any sense for him to get into, he doesn't know what he's doing. Musk should probably focus on SpaceX and leave everything else alone.

Last edited:

DKehoe

elon-and-jared-kushner-at-the-world-cup-final-v0-uw5k6rjdlp6a1.jpg

The Saudi and Qataris telling Elon that he better get his shit together since they put up money for the deal

giphy.gif

Last edited:
What's the point of keeping the thread if no discussions about politics are allowed? To post (sfw) jokes about Elon?
Because you can still speak from principles and integrity about the matter of free speech and give your opinion of where lines should be drawn without getting into red vs blue divisiveness.

And some of the moves he has made are easy to criticize or support with no political aspects to them whatsoever, such as the recent example of him banning mentioning other social media companies, or his plans to dramatically increase the character limit. There's no political aspects you need to avoid about either of those topics.

Honestly it is publicly available information at this point… just because it’s not provided by the government or a corporation negates does not negate that fact.

You cannot jail people for listening to open, unencrypted communication over radio waves.
No one is suggesting anyone should be jailed for posting links to real time updates of someone's location, but they are suggesting that removing that content from twitter could protect people's safety without harming anyone's ability to express any opinions, values, beliefs, worldview, etc. Because of this, and as long as it's enforced without bias, I'm fine with twitter not allowing that sort of information. It seems like a fairly sensible policy to me.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Even though I agree with a lot of his policy changes at Twitter, it would probably be for the best if he left and refocused on Tesla and Starship.

The eternally churning hate machine is exhausting, and even though I firmly believe no one should bend the knee to any extremely vocal idiology, as a casual Twitter user my timelines have been insufferable lately. People tumbling over each other to have the "correct" opinion.

It is overwhelming, the amount of people who for no real reason hate Elon and Twitter, yet spend every waking moment on the platform yelling how much they hate it there. There is a group of people who act like Elon Must came to their house and killed their dog with his bare hands. I must have unfollowed 200 people over the last couple of weeks.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah, definitely for the best he gives it to someone with a better handle on how social media actually functions.

Twitter has completely warped his world view, and lost him an awful lot of money.

He‘d still be the richest man in the world, and a respected businessman, were it not for this farce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom