• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer CEO says layoffs are "something that everyone needs to get through"

ManaByte

Gold Member

"I think looking at the 8% reduction in workforce [at Embracer], there is obviously – I don't know the number for the whole industry, but I think it's something that everyone needs to get through. I mean, as I said, it's more driven by the overinvestment in the previous years because everyone just put all capital into gaming and perhaps a bit too much capital in a few instances."

They have to be some massive troll company that set out to decimate the gaming industry, right?

Pop

Sounds like something a CEO would say
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I mean, as I said, it's more driven by the overinvestment in the previous years because everyone just put all capital into gaming and perhaps a bit too much capital in a few instances."

ok so its your fault so why dont you make take a pay cut for retarded business decision. Or better yet fire yourself and hire a cheaper CEO who actually knows what hes doing?

//DEVIL//

Maybe . But not when you cancel a million projects and lay off god knows how many so far.

Feels like they almost have no team now.

MiguelItUp

Sure, layoffs CAN happen, but depending on how well a company is run and managed can affect how often potential layoffs can be. As well as the size of them. If managed well enough, layoffs may not happen at all, or at least will be uncommon. This guy clearly doesn't know what he's doing and is awful at it considering a ton of studios were purchased, nothing was delivered, and the majority were terminated.

Jakk

To err is human, to forgive divine.

I also like how he's to blame for underperforming studios not creating anything of value.
Yes, beacuse it's as simple as that. Are you trying to say that when a studio is underperfoming, it's automatically caused by the majority of employees being lazy or not doing enough? There could be a lot of other issues with management of the studio. He's a CEO, so he should be at least partially accountable for pretty much everything that is and isn't working in the company. And why buy a studio if it's not creating anything of value?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yes, beacuse it's as simple as that. Are you trying to say that when a studio is underperfoming, it's automatically caused by the majority of employees being lazy or not doing enough? There could be a lot of other issues with management of the studio. He's a CEO, so he should be at least partially accountable for pretty much everything that is and isn't working in the company. And why buy a studio if it's not creating anything of value?

I'm not suggesting game studios are lazy. I'm saying this isn't a charity. You better be making something that has a good chance of being profitable or else natural consequences occur.

It's also ridiculous to call for the heads of leadership when these kinds of failures happen. Building experience and expertise through failure is huge.

You buy a studio because you think they have value. Then you reassess at intervals and spend resources accordingly.

Embraced shareholders must be the most patient people ever considering the guy structured all his group for Saudi money and that fell through.

What patience are you referring to? It's not like they can ask for their money back. And their "shareholders" are still Saudis they just didn't put more money in, so as far as a lack of patience there you go.

Jakk

I'm not suggesting game studios are lazy. I'm saying this isn't a charity. You better be making something that has a good chance of being profitable or else natural consequences occur.

It's also ridiculous to call for the heads of leadership when these kinds of failures happen. Building experience and expertise through failure is huge.

You buy a studio because you think they have value. Then you reassess at intervals and spend resources accordingly.
Where did I say this is a charity? How is calling for the heads of leadership ridiculous when failures happen? It's like you don't understand the leadership has a huge impact on the productivity of a studio or something.

mortal

Gold Member
One would think such a colossal fuck up at the executive level would result in stepping down, but whatever. What an asshole.

Robb

Gold Member
If you come to the conclusion that you need to fire 1400 people because of your crappy investments and planning, then you’re the one who’s got to go.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Where did I say this is a charity? How is calling for the heads of leadership ridiculous when failures happen? It's like you don't understand the leadership has a huge impact on the productivity of a studio or something.

I actually think I value the role and impact of leadership more than you.

Militaries throughout history have traditionally shielded leadership from harms way during battle. Why do you think they did that?

Because people innately understand that accruing experience and expertise through defeat is more beneficial than axing leadership at the first bump.

Big business operates the same way because doing the alternative is really really dumb.

Hudo

He fucked up his whole business by betting the company on a verbal promise for a deal, which then fell through. Dude and his management team should've been the first to get their asses fired. And the investors should've sued them for being retards.

Jakk

I actually think I value the role and impact of leadership more than you.

Militaries throughout history have traditionally shielded leadership from harms way during battle. Why do you think they did that?

Because people innately understand that accruing experience and expertise through defeat is more beneficial than axing leadership at the first bump.

Big business operates the same way because doing the alternative is really really dumb.
Sure you do. The military analogy is bizarre and it's not even true - many generals were fired during WW2 and other conflicts. You can find some examples even in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66590916, https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/12/...chery-accusations-ukraine-intl-hnk/index.html, https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/08/...general-valery-zaluzhny-ukraine-military.html.

I never even said the leadership should be axed at the first bump. You were acting like the CEO/leadership is not at all responsible for underperforming studios, which is obvious nonsene.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sure you do. The military analogy is bizarre and it's not even true - many generals were fired during WW2 and other conflicts. You can find some examples even in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66590916, https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/12/...chery-accusations-ukraine-intl-hnk/index.html, https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/08/...general-valery-zaluzhny-ukraine-military.html.

I never even said the leadership should be axed at the first bump. You were acting like the CEO/leadership is not at all responsible for underperforming studios, which is obvious nonsene.

So you do understand there is a balance, right?

Firing a leader too quickly can be a bad thing. Firing a leader too late can be a bad thing.

What I'm trying to teach you is that the philosophy of "If the worker has to lose his job then so should the CEO" is poorly thought out. That's just silly and would only lead to more catastrophic long term failure.

Last edited:

Jakk

So you do understand there is a balance, right?

Firing a leader too quickly can be a bad thing. Firing a leader too late can be a bad thing.

What I'm trying to teach you is that the philosophy of "If the worker has to lose his job then so should the CEO" is poorly thought out. That's just silly and would only lead to more catastrophic long term failure.
But I never said that if a worker has to lose a job so should the CEO. I just said the CEO/leadership is very much responsible for the company's performance and there's a lot of cases when replacing the leadership is the right option.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Jesus fuck, Embracer went from being loved for rescuing old IP's to being hated more than EA or Ubisoft. And well deserved considering all of the shitty things happening recently.

Mr.Phoenix

While I always feel for those getting laid off, and I can jump on the whole corporate greed bandwagon. Sometimes, I think we also need to ask... whats the alternative?

Should they not have hired more people to begin with? Should they not have bought or absorbed studios that were on a downward trend elsewhere and were probably on the verge of shutting down anyway?

But more interestingly, is that I feel that if this were any of us, if this was us footing the bill for these studios and not getting the returns on our investments. We would probably have done the same thing too.

I think these companies need to take a more measured approach to growth and expansion, it's when they force it that these things tend to happen.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
But I never said that if a worker has to lose a job so should the CEO. I just said the CEO/leadership is very much responsible for the company's performance and there's a lot of cases when replacing the leadership is the right option.
True, but aren't there also a lot of cases where laying off a percentage of employees is the right option too?

Top Bottom