• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer Group merges with Gearbox, also acquires Aspyr Media

jhjfss

The day one purchase price amounts to USD 363 million in total, on a cash and debt free basis, of which USD 175 million is paid in newly issued Embracer B shares (the “Closing Consideration Shares”) and the residual in cash. Subject to fulfilment of agreed financial and operational targets in the next six years, an additional consideration of USD 1,015 million may be paid, of which a maximum of USD 360 million in issued Embracer B shares (the “Additional Consideration Shares”) and the residual in cash. To earn the maximum consideration, USD 1,378 million the accumulated Adjusted EBITDA, including expensed development costs, must exceed USD 1,300 million over six years.

The day one purchase price of USD 100 million is paid with USD 60 million in cash and USD 40 million worth of newly issued Embracer B shares issued at closing (the “Closing Consideration Shares”). The Closing Consideration Shares will be divided into equal portions and subject to a 12 months and 18 months lock-up period respectively.
The earn-out considerations that may be payable by Embracer, up to a maximum of USD 350 million, are conditioned on pre-agreed operational and financial targets, and paid with 50% cash and 50% EMBRAC B shares.

EDIT: Another one!

Embracer Group AB ("Embracer")[1], has today entered into an agreement to merge with Cyprus-based Easybrain Limited ("Easybrain") in an all equity transaction for a day one purchase price amounting to USD 640 million on a cash and debt free basis plus a maximum of USD 125 million in additional consideration.
The total maximum consideration amount to USD 765 million on a cash and debt free basis

Last edited:

Rikkori

Gooble gooble mother - fucker!

the incredible dr pol turkey GIF by Nat Geo Wild

b6a6es

Banned
Having 68 studio’s at their grasp (and way more to come), pretty much owning the AA space and now moving on to AAA Studio Acquisitions, and all by debt nonetheless is very suspicious to me
i might get accused of Tinfoil hatting but i have this to say

I have a huge feeling that they’re a Proxy game industry acquisition group for a Trillion dollar company (Apple, Amazon, Google, or god forbid tencent) and be gobbled by one of them as a whole package for billions of dollars, instead of buying 1 or 2 publishers and risk having bad publicity in short term (like Microsoft with consolidation accusations), or worse by starting from scratch and end up like Stadia internal studios

Mark my words, a Huge trillion dollar company is behind all of this

b6a6es

Banned
I might get accused to Tinfoil hatting, but i have this to say

Having 68 studio’s at their grasp (and way more to come), pretty much owning the AA space and now moving on to AAA Studio Acquisitions, and all by debt nonetheless is very suspicious to me

I have a huge feeling that they’re a Proxy game industry acquisition group for a Trillion dollar company (Apple, Amazon, Google, or god forbid tencent) and be gobbled by one of them as a whole package for billions of dollars, instead of buying 1 or 2 publishers and risk having bad publicity in short term (like Microsoft with consolidation accusations), or worse by starting from scratch and end up like Stadia internal studios

GonSama

I'm half asleep.
They bought Gearbox (Borderlands devs) from Take Two / 2K?
Will they get their IPs?
How much will they cost?

Last edited:

Hudo

Can someone explain to me how they get all this money? They keep embracing studios left and right and while they do have a portfolio of games, they don't really have a lot (if any?) "heavy hitters", afaik?

TriSuit666

Banned
gearbox always owned the ip. 2k only has publishing rights. Also 1.38 Billion
No, no. That’s not quite right, the 1.3B payout is a financial projection over 6 years dependent on Gearbox hitting sales and publishing targets, AND ensuring ‘certain key staff’ probably Pitchford included remain with the company.

The actual buyout was 338 Million plus a fucking truckload of shares.

jhjfss

No, no. That’s not quite right, the 1.3B payout is a financial projection over 6 years dependent on Gearbox hitting sales and publishing targets, AND ensuring ‘certain key staff’ probably Pitchford included remain with the company.

The actual buyout was 338 Million plus a fucking truckload of shares.
not bad i suppose? had no idea gearbox was worth that much.

TriSuit666

Banned
not bad i suppose? had no idea gearbox was worth that much.
Not that I understand it too much, release certainly suggests it’s the ‘currency cards’ which Embracer sees as the key to future profitability for them through Gearbox.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I might get accused to Tinfoil hatting, but i have this to say

I don’t know, they “appear” to grow organically, it’s not like they show up at a hotel and sign deals a dozen at a time.

As a company they go back to the 90’s and this Lars guy has always been involved.

jhjfss

Can someone explain to me how they get all this money? They keep embracing studios left and right and while they do have a portfolio of games, they don't really have a lot (if any?) "heavy hitters", afaik?

GonSama

Is there any thread about Embracer Group?
What studios (small and big) do they own?
They have any huge IPs?
Borderlands seems like one.

Edit:

What I found:
-Gearbox (Borderlands, Brothers in Arms, Duke Nukem)
-Volition (Saints Row, Red Faction)
-Warhorse Studios (Kingdom Come: Deliverance)
-Milestone (MotoGP, MXGP, Ride, Monster Energy Supercross)
-4A Games (Metro series)
-THQ Nordic (Darksiders, Red Faction, Desperados, Sine Mora, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy)
-THQ Subsidiaries:
Bugbear Entertainment (FlatOut, Wreckfest)
Black Forest Games (Destroy All Humans, Giana Sisters)
Piranha Bytes (Gothic, Risen, ELEX)
Purple Lamp Studios ("port house"?)
Rainbow Studios (MX vs. ATV, Motocross Madness)
-Saber Interactive (they have developed World War Z, NBA Playgrounds, SnowRunner)
-Dambuster Studios (Homefront: The Revolution)
-Flying Wild Hog (Shadow Warrior)
-Coffee Stain Studios (Goat Simulator)
-Zen Studios (Pinball FX, Zen Pinball, CastleStorm)
-New World Interactive (Insurgency)
-Tarsier Studios (Little Nightmares)
-Snapshot Games (Phoenix Point, Chaos Reborn)
-Aspyr ("port house")

Damn... and there's more.

Last edited:
Let us embrace the studios!
Tencent probably.

Embracer Group is in an interesting ... group lol. Have a lot of small/medium IPs and studio. I wonder what's their end goal? Their own streaming service or something?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Profits are up across the board in the gaming sector, so its a good time to invest if you have the funding that Embracer seem to have. Having a broad portfolio will help them cut deals with platform and storefront holders and could potentially help in terms of launch timings, marketing etc.

Obviously though all the downsides of consolidation are in play too. The group hits hard times and the most vulnerable (profit-wise) assets are first on the chopping block, strategic planning creating casualties through IP transfer, etc.

Really don't know much about Embracer's corporate structure so its hard to tell how likely the pro's and con's are.

molasar

Banned
They know that money will be worthless pretty soon when usurpers are printing and creating them in banking systems without any restrictions. It is better to do this now before a hyperinflation shows up.

They know that money will be worthless pretty soon when usurpers are printing and creating them in banking systems without any restrictions. It is better to do this now before a hyperinflation shows up.
They are mainly doing because the prices for studio are increasing due to acquisition rush.
But in gaming, new studios pop up quite often so after a couple of years we might have a lot of new studios or even publishers.

Thirty7ven

Banned
People concerned LMAO

This changes nothing for the costumer. Meanwhile when MS changes things for the customer, it’s for the good of the people.

molasar

Banned
They are mainly doing because the prices for studio are increasing due to acquisition rush.
But in gaming, new studios pop up quite often so after a couple of years we might have a lot of new studios or even publishers.

There are many reasons why prices for studios go up. But the main issue is influx of worthless money, so they do not want to sit on what they already have in their bank accounts.

And we do not know what usurpers want to do with us in the end.

Last edited:

Interfectum

People concerned LMAO

This changes nothing for the costumer. Meanwhile when MS changes things for the customer, it’s for the good of the people.
I'm not concerned yet but it is alarming to see even a third party own this much and it's an easy target for MS, Apple, Tencent, etc to acquire a shit ton with a single purchase.

Top Bottom