• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer: Tomb Raider Remastered performed above expectations, Alone in the Dark reboot performed below expectations

Dazraell

Gold Member
Embracer just posted their full year report. There is an interesting excerpt about sales performance of some games released by them during this quarter

Tomb Raider Remastered and Deep Rock Galactic Survivor performed above expectations, Alone in the Dark and Outcast: A New Beginning performed below expectations, while South Park: Snow Day, Star Wars Battlefront Collection and Lightyear Frontier performed in line with expectations

• Tomb Raider I-III Remastered was positively received and performed above management expectations.
  • Star Wars: Battlefront Classic Collection saw negative reviews from users, but performed in line with management expectations.
  • SOUTH PARK: SNOW DAY! saw a mixed reception from critics and users but delivered within expectations.
  • Alone in the Dark and Outcast: A New Beginning both saw a positive reception from users, but a mixed reception from critics and ultimately performed below management expectations.
  • Deep Rock Galactic: Survivor, developed by Funday Games and published by Ghost Ship Games (Coffee Stain), launched to great reception and outperformed management expectations.
  • Lightyear Frontier, developed and published by FRAME BREAK (Amplifier), saw a positive reception and performed well-in-line with management expectations.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Gold Member
Agreed. But they'll still proceed in a new game with a Lara Croft who suddenly thinks its wrong to raid tombs, because of cultural appropriation. And then they'll scratch their heads when it bombs.
Yeah, unfortunately. One thing that constantly piques my attention though is that use of "Starring Lara Croft" moniker used in remaster, implying future Tomb Raider projects may not be only about Lara. Back in Eidos days they once tried doing a second character who was meant to lead his own spin-off, but the game introducing that character failed quite miserably and everything Core Design planned was canned

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Yeah, unfortunately. One thing that constantly piques my attention though is that use of "Starring Lara Croft" moniker used in remaster, implying future Tomb Raider projects may not be only about Lara. Back in Eidos days they once tried doing a second character who was meant to lead his own spin-off, but the game introducing that character failed quite miserably and everything Core Design planned was canned

I still remember the growing sense of utter disappointment playing Angel Of Darkness on my Ps2.

They should have also remastered Alone in the dark. The first 2 games are still great, they just need to tweak the controls and improve the graphics but everything else is still awesome.

Yeah, unfortunately. One thing that constantly piques my attention though is that use of "Starring Lara Croft" moniker used in remaster, implying future Tomb Raider projects may not be only about Lara.
s-l1200.webp

xrnzaaas

I'm in if they'll remaster Last Revelation and Chronicles the same way. Heck, I'd even check out Angel of Darkness to remind myself whether it was actually that bad.

GudOlRub

Alone in the Dark deserved better, its a great AA entry.
Shouldn't have priced it like a AAA then, I was quite interested in that game but found it strange that it didn't have a price set on steam even 1 week before release, when it finally came out I went to check it out, noticed it was 60$ and noped out immediately.
Was expecting it to be something like 30 or 40$, 60$ is way too much.

xrnzaaas

Shouldn't have priced it like a AAA then, I was quite interested in that game but found it strange that it didn't have a price set on steam even 1 week before release, when it finally came out I went to check it out, noticed it was 60$ and noped out immediately.
Was expecting it to be something like 30 or 40$, 60$ is way too much.
There are several different issues with this release imo. They shouldn't have spent big money on hiring recognizable actors for an AA game, maybe should've tried a different release window and marketed the game better, should've set a more AA price and also released the game in a much better state. I haven't played it, but I heard it was very buggy especially on consoles.

Tomb Raider as an IP is still valuable...plus the nostalgia about the old titles is huge. Good to know!
Fuck Embracer because everything they touch withers and dies.

What those western companies don't understand is that people just like to play games when they were just that, interactive games. They are fed up of this cinematic bullshit that often goes along, I know I am. Tomb Raider had cutscenes, yes, but they were actually short, inexpensive and enjoyable and creators didn't try to push their own political agenda into them to please critics.

Same thing with Alone in the Dark reboot. It didn't need all those expensive cutscenes / actors to work. The original games are awesome because of the settings, atmosphere, Lovecraft lore and ambiance, not because of the characters cutscenes. The OG games barely had any cutscenes. They could have sold as many copies with half the budget if they had not added all the cinematic nonsense budget. This is why Nintendo are still doing tons of profits, because they are still doing games like 20 years ago. They are not trying to do movies disguised as games.

Last edited:
There are several different issues with this release imo. They shouldn't have spent big money on hiring recognizable actors for an AA game, maybe should've tried a different release window and marketed the game better, should've set a more AA price and also released the game in a much better state. I haven't played it, but I heard it was very buggy especially on consoles.
Not to mention the truly awful "demo" but not-demo. Nobody cares about four rooms of slow walking. They should've properly demo'd it. Sometimes I wonder if these devs are high when they make these goofy decisions.

Denton

They shouldn't have spent big money on hiring recognizable actors for an AA game
This is "everyone's a general after the battle" kind of thing. They used those actors for marketing and their talent. If the game sold well, we might be saying "good thing they hired those actors to give it some mainstream appeal".

I agree they made some mistakes in marketing the game, but I think generally people are just not interested in this IP. In few years it might be considered cult classic though.

Outcast and Alone in the Dark only exist because of them, and failed because people did not buy them.
This mystic mumbo jumbo you are peddling is lame af.
Whatever you're smoking I need a bag of it.

Deus EX was canceled, Saints Row is dead.

While the studios develop the games it's up to Embracer to do the rest, and they continue to fumble the ball.

Chock it up to lack of marketing or whatever you want.

But OK, Denton.

Madflavor

Tomb Raider as an IP is still valuable...

For now. I believe they’re at a crossroads with Tomb Raider. Their last game was 6 years ago and it didn’t perform well. If their new AAA TR game is a generic open world, that plays like Uncharted, and with a “progressive” Lara Croft, it will kill Tomb Raider. It’s likely going to be a very expensive game that won’t recoup its cost.

Denton

While the studios develop the games it's up to Embracer to do the rest, and they continue to fumble the ball.
Let's look at the facts, putting aside rest of your arrogant post:

Volition released multiple flops in a row, long before Embracer got them, SR was also their own project with almost no involvement by Embracer. All the stupid decision made on that project were made by Volition.
Now you may claim "well that is on Embracer, they SHOULD have gotten involved!" but that's the thing, isn't it? Then they would be the evil meddling publisher. Damn if you do, damn if you don't.

Regarding Deus Ex, I suspect its cancellation bothers me lot more than it does you, but we have no idea what state it was in and what were the circumstances of it. It is still moronic to claim "everything Embracer touches dies" based on these two examples.

I mean, you can only claim that if you ignore all the successful games Embracer publishes (yes, they exist).

Dazraell

Gold Member
Saints Row is technically still alive as IP still remains under Deep Silver. Volition as a studio is dead. But what's worth to know that after recent game flopped, Volition was moved under Gearbox but none of their IP were transferred so Saints Row stayed with Deep Silver. There is nothing preventing them from revisiting this in the future with a different studio like they did with Dead Island

If I remember correctly, Deus Ex game according to rumors was focused on co-op and wasn't about Adam Jensen. The sequel with Adam as a lead was in development under Square Enix who cancelled it after Mankind Divided flopped

thief183

Saints Row is technically still alive as IP still remains under Deep Silver. Volition as a studio is dead. But what's worth to know that after recent game flopped, Volition was moved under Gearbox but none of their IP were transferred so Saints Row stayed with Deep Silver. There is nothing preventing them from revisiting this in the future with a different studio like they did with Dead Island

If I remember correctly, Deus Ex game according to rumors was focused on co-op and wasn't about Adam Jensen. The sequel with Adam as a lead was in development under Square Enix who cancelled it after Mankind Divided flopped
Sto arguing with someone that doesn't want to understand.

It is all Embracer fault !! Because... reasons!!!

(Just to be clear, I totally agree with you and Denton Denton )

Last edited:
For now. I believe they’re at a crossroads with Tomb Raider. Their last game was 6 years ago and it didn’t perform well. If their new AAA TR game is a generic open world, that plays like Uncharted, and with a “progressive” Lara Croft, it will kill Tomb Raider. It’s likely going to be a very expensive game that won’t recoup its cost.
The third would have performed better if they (well surprise it was Phil Spencer) didn't damage the franchise with this nonsense Xbox exclusivity for the second game (which was also the worst game of the trilogy). The audience was and still is on Playstation.

Last edited:
Let's look at the facts, putting aside rest of your arrogant post:

Volition released multiple flops in a row, long before Embracer got them, SR was also their own project with almost no involvement by Embracer. All the stupid decision made on that project were made by Volition.
Now you may claim "well that is on Embracer, they SHOULD have gotten involved!" but that's the thing, isn't it? Then they would be the evil meddling publisher. Damn if you do, damn if you don't.

Regarding Deus Ex, I suspect its cancellation bothers me lot more than it does you, but we have no idea what state it was in and what were the circumstances of it. It is still moronic to claim "everything Embracer touches dies" based on these two examples.

I mean, you can only claim that if you ignore all the successful games Embracer publishes (yes, they exist).

My "arrogant" post?

You sound completely unhinged bud.

Especially when you say things like "I suspect the cancellation of Deus Ex bothers me more than it does you."

Don't even know what you are trying to insinuate, but I'm not doing this with you.

Again, Fuck Embracer

Cheers, mate.

Denton

My "arrogant" post?

You sound completely unhinged bud.

Especially when you say things like "I suspect the cancellation of Deus Ex bothers me more than it does you."

Don't even know what you are trying to insinuate, but I'm not doing this with you.

Again, Fuck Embracer

Cheers, mate.

If I sound unhinged in the eyes of a moron, I can live with that.

Deerock71

Yeah, unfortunately. One thing that constantly piques my attention though is that use of "Starring Lara Croft" moniker used in remaster, implying future Tomb Raider projects may not be only about Lara.
It's like they added Indiana Jones to Raiders of the Lost Ark (Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Title That Stretches to the Rings of Neptune); I think it's just that people identify the character more quickly, or something.

Wildebeest

I thought that Tomb Raider remasters didn't make that much of an impact, but I suppose expectations were not sky-high.

xrnzaaas

Not to mention the truly awful "demo" but not-demo. Nobody cares about four rooms of slow walking. They should've properly demo'd it. Sometimes I wonder if these devs are high when they make these goofy decisions.
Yeah I played the demo. A friend of mine who's a fan of the original trilogy kept convincing me it was cool concept or whatever, but for me a demo is supposed to sell me on the final product. It should've been much bigger, RE2 had a really good demo which was enough to convince me I want to play the rest.

Top Bottom