• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Monster Games NOT making Diddy Kong Racing Wii U

Oh man, if this headline came true, I can't even tell you how many Olympic medals I'd win for all the gymnastics I'd pull off flipping out in joy/terror.

EDIT: More the idea of Bulletstorm 2 happening with Nintendo support, I mean. Dick-tits aside, it's what I'd imagine a Nintendo-made FPS to be.

I'd love to see a Halo "clone" by Miyamoto, put your money where your mouth is, what can the creator of Mario and Zelda come up with in that area, that I'd kill to see. :D

MisterHero

It's not Diddy Kong Racing without the original cast. The DS port was okay, but was still a sign of company politics getting in the way.

Pipsy :(

Neiteio

It's not Diddy Kong Racing without the original cast. The DS port was okay, but was still a sign of company politics getting in the way.

Pipsy :(
They took out Pipsy in the DS port? I thought only Conker and Banjo had to go, no?

Also, changing up Tiny Kong like they did is a crime against humanity.

They took out Pipsy in the DS port? I thought only Conker and Banjo had to go, no?

Also, changing up Tiny Kong like they did is a crime against humanity.

Pipsy was in, maybe he meant they screwed the voice.

Only Conker and Banjo were axed, Tiny and Dixie took their place, Taj and Wizpig became unlockable.

I think Conker and Banjo were axed out of the rest because:

Conker and Banjo = MS
Timber, Taj, and the rest = Rare

Not unheard of for a 1st-party dev to retain some rights outside their owner.

And MS obviously didn't want a Nintendo character (Diddy) to team up with their own (Banjo), also it would've been MS characters in a game published by Nintendo.

Strange though is that Brownie Brown co-developed a MS game (Blue Dragon Plus with feelplus+) on the DS, but I guess BB is like the least Nintendo-associated 1st-party (until now), so they were like "eh, whatever", or they indeed don't give two shits about their JP IP's, OR they gave Gooch complete control, MS just has their name in the copyright so they get free moolah, and won't allow a Nintendo console entry.

Qurupeke

to summarize, iwata is in the hot seat

"iwata has intended he wishes to continue and there is a current 'power struggle' insiders say within NCL. Runours are Yamuachi is unhappy about the direction of nintendo''

"Miyamoto is continually decreasing role at nintendo.."says" pikmin3 to be his last game on a nintendo home console." ( <---he always says things like this )

"the missing dominant presence of miyamoto has left a 'creative vacuum of ideas' missing in nintendo, which existing developers are finding difficult to replace"

also that retro x rockstar nintendo project could end up like Sony and Rockstar's exclusive "Agent" a vaporware

Whatever your source is, I'm certain that Miyamoto works on something other than Pikmin 3 with a smaller team. So, no, Pikmin 3 can't be his last game...

Edit: There. And the game is obviously not Pikmin 3.

jschreier

Really smart stuff from Stumpokapow in this thread. Particularly some of the things he said about accountability, and owning up to mistakes instead of trying to erase their tracks. Except...

No one, and I mean no one, in professional gaming journalism cares about the eShop.

Not true!

guek

Banned
Popped back in to reaffirm that those previous supposed quotes from emily are all hogwash and 100% fake. Please discard the bullshit in the appropriate trash receptacle.

Popped back in to reaffirm that those previous supposed quotes from emily are all hogwash and 100% fake. Please discard the bullshit in the appropriate trash receptacle.

Yeah I don't like playing games with people, you should always at least spoiler a "j/k" or something so you're not taken seriously.

GameE

Where is everyone getting the idea that Nintendo was going to show retro's game at E3 last year but didnt?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Really smart stuff from Stumpokapow in this thread. Particularly some of the things he said about accountability, and owning up to mistakes instead of trying to erase their tracks. Except...

Not true!

I was probably a little overbroad, but I would certainly defend the statement that almost no one, with probably the exception of Ms. Rogers and Nintendolife, focuses on the eShop as a platform of note versus a platform among many, and the vast majority of eShop releases go unexamined entirely. It is true that major sites devote some coverage, and that a few outlets cover some of the wacky stuff, but obviously the focus isn't there in aggregate, I think you'd agree?

(I suspect you replied in part because you have covered eShop stuff, so I'm sorry if I excluded you, I'm not familiar with your particular work in the subject!)

Oddduck

You tried pretty hard to cover up your tracks before taking accountability for your actions. People accused you of banning people to cover your tracks. You refused to take accountability until the pressure got bad.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465809

MisterHero

Where is everyone getting the idea that Nintendo was going to show retro's game at E3 last year but didnt?
Reggie himself sort of de-confirmed Retro's showing. He knew what it was, but Retro wanted to save it for themselves, they weren't ready, etc.

Nintendo pulled games (supposedly, Aliens Colonial Marines) from their presentation to host 3rd-party segments like EA. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't get burned twice.

jschreier

You tried pretty hard to cover up your tracks before taking accountability for your actions. People accused you of banning people to cover your tracks.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465809

Actually, I did quite the opposite. I added updates to the story to correct my mistakes, and left the original post entirely intact because we don't cover anything up. Ever. And you shouldn't believe everything you read: I banned a single person for a toxic commenting history that had absolutely nothing to do with that incident. Somehow that morphed into "Jason mass-bans everyone, call the police!" Kotaku's been criticized for a lot of things, but I think even our biggest detractors will admit that we're always transparent. When we fuck up, we say so.

But let's not make this thread about me.

I was probably a little overbroad, but I would certainly defend the statement that almost no one, with probably the exception of Ms. Rogers and Nintendolife, focuses on the eShop as a platform of note versus a platform among many, and the vast majority of eShop releases go unexamined entirely. It is true that major sites devote some coverage, and that a few outlets cover some of the wacky stuff, but obviously the focus isn't there in aggregate, I think you'd agree?

(I suspect you replied in part because you have covered eShop stuff, so I'm sorry if I excluded you, I'm not familiar with your particular work in the subject!)

Yeah, I know Pushmo is one of Totilo's favorite games, and we've given a fair amount of coverage to games like Crimson Shroud, Aero Porter, etc. I think we ran a review of that Wii U eShop game by the folks who made World of Goo. I actually have an interesting story about an eShop game coming in the next few weeks.

I also see a fair number of eShop reviews on other sites on a regular basis. I see your point, I just disagree with how broad the strokes were.

/wandersin

This thread isn't about the title anymore is it? :/
Anyway; Rogers showed shes well...not quite got the hang of the reporting lark when she basically burned her connections with a studio with that interview stuff. Whether or not it was true or whatever didn't matter. Am sure Kotaku were fair to the dev, understanding this was not the way it was to go.

Anyway; I think she seems like someone who'll mature over time and become more beneficial overall.

I think you can describe her as a bit keen and excitable. She obviously has her niche and her interest; can't blame her for that. Still disappointed over how she handled that whole thing previously.

I kind of stopped visiting NES for a bit after that. Its a good site; I also think things like the eshop can only be fully engaged with from more specific sites.

Top Bottom