• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eminem named best-selling artist of the decade, followed by the Beetles

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiSTM

Banned
Operations said:
Didn't Madonna de-throne the Beatles a couple of years ago? Is this a different metric of sorts or what am I missing?

I think Madonna took the most profitable tour title year or two back.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Diablos said:
That Eminem has sold over 30 million records in the past ten years alone is so unbelievably disgusting.

Someone who thinks Smashing Pumpkin's Zeitgeist is good saying The Slim Shady LP, The Marshall Mathers LP, and The Eminem Show being successful is "disgusting"?

:lol

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
bigosc2k said:
Relapse is alright but Encore was the shitty one

Encore was awful. Relapse is decent. His last really good album was TES.

And why is there no Queen? Freddie Mercury demands an explanation for this shit.

Bad_Boy said:
as long as jay-z stays away from the top 3 im happy.

And the Jay-Z song was on.

gdt

Cubsfan23 said:
Britney would be #1, but her first album came out in dec 1999

Huh?

All post Jan 1 2000 sales are counted, even if the album came out in 1999.

Hell, The Bealtes are on the list, and they're last album was in 1970. Number 1's accounts for ~11 million of those sales, while the other albums account for the rest.

-NeoTB1-

D4Danger said:
smh. If you want to know why this decade sucked just look at the music.

i260ci.jpg

pretty much. eminem.... :lol :lol

Zophar

omg rite said:
Someone who thinks Smashing Pumpkin's Zeitgeist is good saying The Slim Shady LP, The Marshall Mathers LP, and The Eminem Show being successful is "disgusting"?

:lol
Haha, damn. Pop music poo-pooers are hilarious.

This list is skewed to an older demographic and even then, a certain part of the older demographic. That's the only reason there's 3 country acts in the top 10. These are the kind of people that still buy "albums".

Plus, as others have said there's a huge advantage to albums from earlier in the decade when buying CD's was still the preffered way of getting music.

That being said, I'm still Surprised that Kanye didn't show up anywhere.

gdt

CiSTM said:
I think Madonna took the most profitable tour title year or two back.

I thought it was most number 1's?

I could've sworn that the Rolling Stones hold the biggest tour record. Thought that Madonna thing rings a bell...

Zophar

gdt5016 said:
I thought it was most number 1's?

I could've sworn that the Rolling Stones hold the biggest tour record. Thought that Madonna thing rings a bell...
Most Top 10 songs on Billboard, passing Elvis who had the record of 36.

wRATH2x

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
Wait.. You're Freddie?

If I get you a taco, would you perform Living on my Own in my living room? :O
If you get me a cheeseburger, I'll perform Bohemian Rhapsody on my own. We Will Rock You as an encore if you get me a coke with the burger.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Wrath2X said:
If you get me a cheeseburger, I'll perform Bohemian Rhapsody on my own. We Will Rock You as an encore if you get me a coke with the burger.

If I throw in chips and a milkshake to go with coke and burger, could you squeeze in '39 and Living on my Own too?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
xelios said:
That is the douchiest expression I've ever seen.

It only looks douchy because he's developed a serious case of middle aged lesbian face.

P.s. lol at Groban. I would hear people reference him randomly on various shows and I thought they were just picking out pop culture nobodies that represented "stereotypical white people music"

apparently he was a good target because he sells dicktons of albums. Now i gotta see if i've heard a song of his before. I'm completely unaware of his works.

Cubsfan23

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Huh?

All post Jan 1 2000 sales are counted, even if the album came out in 1999.

Hell, The Bealtes are on the list, and they're last album was in 1970. Number 1's accounts for ~11 million of those sales, while the other albums account for the rest.

list is inaccurate then, because Baby one more time sold like 12 million, oops did 9 million.......no way her other albums combined for 2 million in sales

Diablos

MrPliskin said:
What?

The list is based on sales dude, how in the hell can it be "garbage" when it is factual information? Really confused here.
Factual information can't be disappointing? What planet are you from?

Also, why is it disgusting that Eminem has sold so many albums? Especially when the majority of his records deviate so much from the normal "mainstream" artists persona. If anything, it's encouraging that people will still buy shit that isn't just Dr Seuss over a bass heavy beat.
Are you kidding me? Most of Eminem's beats are extremely generic.

omg wrong as usual said:
Zeitgeist was a studio disaster and had the worst marketing campaign I can think of for an album in recent memory; don't put words in my mouth. You think I'm just complaining about sales because the Pumpkins didn't make it on? That's not even what I was thinking about when I saw this joke of a list. Are you that fucking stupid, or are you proving once more that you suck at trolling? :lol

Cubsfan23 said:
list is inaccurate then, because Baby one more time sold like 12 million, oops did 9 million.......no way her other albums combined for 2 million in sales

I think I know where the confusion is. BOMT wasn't in December of '99, it was in January. So that counted for much of BOMT's sales, almost 10 million in that year alone in the US.

That's why the numbers were a bit different. BOMT moved a couple million since this decade was ushered in, but the lion's share of its sales already hit last time.

So yeah, those numbers are essentially not factoring in BOMT, which is even better than you might have originally thought.

omg rite said:
You HAVE to be a joke character at this point.

Being sincerely enthusiastic does not make me a joke character, I'm sorry you still feel that it does.

wRATH2x

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
If I throw in chips and a milkshake to go with coke and burger, could you squeeze in '39 and Living on my Own too?
Add Mozarrella sticks and I'll do all four with Stone Cold Crazy.

gimmmick

That's pretty remarkable achievement from Marshal Matters. Seeing as how there was a 5 year wait between his last album.

I'll admit, I'm accounted for at least 2 albums of his this decade. MM LP and the eminem show were amazing albums.

legend166

Mainstream music has been declining since the 70s. This is a pretty much indisputable fact if you enjoy music in any way, shape or form.

PSGames

SoulPlaya said:
Maybe if the Beatles stop selling completely, but until then, no. There is still a huge marketing machine behind The Beatles. I mean, they have yet to even embrace digital downloads. Sad to say, but just wait until Paul and Ringo die.

Michael Jackson has sold 50 Million records already since his death. So if that keeps up he will surely surpass Elvis and maybe the Beatles on down the line.

Even though comparing their total sales isn't really fair and doesn't give the full picture as MJ only released 11 Albums (10 studio, 1 live) while Elvis released 49 Albums(23 studio, 7 live, 19 soundtracks) and The Beatles released 29 (27 studio, 2 live). S

So while MJ's total numbers may be behind at the moment. If you do average sales per album MJ wins hands down.

legend166

PSGames said:
Michael Jackson has sold 50 Million records already since his death. So if that keeps up he will surely surpass Elvis and maybe the Beatles on down the line.

Even though comparing their total sales isn't really fair and doesn't give the full picture as MJ only released 11 Albums (10 studio, 1 live) while Elvis released 49 Albums(23 studio, 7 live, 19 soundtracks) and The Beatles released 29 (27 studio, 2 live). S

So while MJ's total numbers may be behind at the moment. If you do average sales per album MJ wins hands down.

If these trends continue, ayyyyyyyyyy!

Also I have no idea where you got those album numbers from. The Beatles released 13 studio albums. Are you counting EPs? Are double counting the different releases in the States compared to what they released in the UK? Or are you counting compilations? Because if so, Jackson has had way more than 10 albums.

And if we're gonna go down the "bububu average sales" path, I'm going to pull the "banned in the entire eastern bloc" card.

omg rite said:
A lot of adults like Nickelback. It's really not that big of a deal.
yes it is. They and the people that like them make the world a bit of a worse place to live in.
The quality of life drops few points. Evolution comes to a hold. Shit stops happening.

legend166

PSGames said:
I got The Beatles Studio album number from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatles_discography

Maybe their numbers need to be changed? It looks like they are counting EPs under Studio albums as they usually house 20 to 30 mins of music.

Elvis however released a shit load of albums so that one is most likely correct.

Yeah, if you go through that studio albums list, you can see they're counting the UK and US releases as seperate. The US albums would often cut songs off which would then be used to fill up more albums and EPs.

wRATH2x

Banned
Toy Soldier, I hope you don't mind me asking. But are you by any chance gay or metro?

I don't mean any offense, it's just that Britney Spears has a huge gay fanbase from what I remember.

PSGames

Desperado said:
Uhh...source?
Source stating 9 Million records sold the first 3 weeks after his death

Here's the souce who calculated his numbers worldwide where he's sold almost 20 Million Albums since his death.
**This does not include single sales, digital downloads, dvd's, ringtones, or countries that don't track album sales/refuse to reveal it. Just legally purchased ALBUMS.

So remember that in addition to the around 20 Million albums, MJ will have also sold 20 million digital downloads/singles ,6-7 million DVD's, 2-3 million ringtones. Which would make his records(which includes albums and singles) sold around 40 to 50 Million.

He also had a #1 box office movie this year. It's staggering the amount of money MJ has pulled in after his death.

Mister E

PSGames said:
Source stating 9 Million records sold the first 3 weeks after his death

Here's the souce who calculated his numbers worldwide where he's sold almost 20 Million Albums since his death.
**This does not include single sales, digital downloads, dvd's, ringtones, or countries that don't track album sales/refuse to reveal it. Just legally purchased ALBUMS.

So remember that in addition to the around 20 Million albums, MJ will have also sold 20 million digital downloads/singles ,6-7 million DVD's, 2-3 million ringtones. Which would make his records(which includes albums and singles) sold around 40 to 50 Million.

He also had a #1 box office movie this year. It's staggering the amount of money MJ has pulled in after his death.

Umm what? The list in the OP says that he's sold 17 million albums this decade so I highly doubt that he's sold over 20 million in the past 6 months. And are you just estimating the rest of those numbers or do you have sources to back them up?

And This Is It was actually the #40 movie at the box office this year http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2009&p=.htm

Not sure where you're getting all of your numbers, but they seem a little off...

wRATH2x

Banned
NutJobJim said:
If I had even a sliver of talent I'd attempt it myself :lol
Same here. :lol

I would love to do a Michael Jackon-2Pac-Metallica mash up just for the fuck of it, sadly I have no abilities in that field what so ever. :lol

PSGames

Mister E said:
Umm what? The list in the OP says that he's sold 17 million albums this decade so I highly doubt that he's sold over 20 million in the past 6 months. And are you just estimating the rest of those numbers or do you have sources to back them up?

And This Is It was actually the #40 movie at the box office this year http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2009&p=.htm

Not sure where you're getting all of your numbers, but they seem a little off...

Soundscan is U.S. only while MJ is a huge worldwide artist. And I never said This Is It was the #1 movie I said This Is It was a #1 box office movie(it debuted at number 1).

Wrekt

gdt5016 said:
I actually see this as a good thing.

It's shows the Beatles longevity tops anyone's current popularity.

It also shows they are and were bigger than Michael Jackson.

Jus sayin.
Except for Eminem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom