• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eminem opens "Mom's Spaghetti" restaurant in Detroit

Bullet Club

Eminem served pasta to guests at his restaurant opening​

bFxCsrp.jpg

Eminem surprised guests by serving up pasta at the grand opening of his Mom's Spaghetti restaurant in downtown Detroit on Wednesday.

Slim Shady himself was not expected to be there but drove up in a car and soon appeared in the serving window.

The name of the rapper's restaurant is in reference to a line from Eminem's 2002 hit "Lose Yourself."

"His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy," Eminem raps in the song. "There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti."

He was quickly recognized by fans who took to social media to post pictures of Em handing out spaghetti, meatballs, and other Italian foods on his menu. On the menu is Mom's Spaghetti for $9, Mom's Spaghetti with Meatballs for $12 and a 'Sgetti Sandwich, spaghetti on bread, for $11.

"Mom's Spaghetti -- it's all ready," the restaurant proclaims in a promo.

The Oscar and Grammy-winning rapper and actor experimented with the eatery as a pop-up restaurant in 2017.

The restaurant, located on Woodward Avenue, has limited seating and a walk-up window.

Source: CNN

I'd rather eat at Honey Boo Boo's Sketti Shack.

chixdiggit

I could actually go for a Sghetti Sandwich right about now.
Like any reports on if it's actually any good? Spaghetti is a favorite food of mine and would love to have a place by me where I could walk up and get a cup of it.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
We need a GAF'r there making a live tread or whatever would be awesome

I'd go if I weren't living in freaking Holland lol

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I wish I was rich enough I could open a vanity store for anything I wanted too. Not throwing shade, I'm totally serious.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm surprised at the price, but I'd also be surprised if Eminem felt the need to rip a bunch of people off, so I'm curious as to why it's so steep. Maybe just trying to pay the employees well.

deafmedal

Missed opportunity me thinks to have ‘Cheddar Bob’s Spaghetti” where they add extra sauce and, uhh, cheddar.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He was quickly recognized by fans who took to social media to post pictures of Em handing out spaghetti, meatballs, and other Italian foods on his menu. On the menu is Mom's Spaghetti for $9, Mom's Spaghetti with Meatballs for $12 and a 'Sgetti Sandwich, spaghetti on bread, for $11.
LOL. If he was really that generous, that shit would be $3. Not like he's running a big fine dining restaurant. Looks like a hole in the wall fast food joint with a minimum wage working making it.

Anything carb based is the cheapest shit and highest margin food a restaurant can peddle to customers.

Last edited:

Tschumi

it's amazing how basic the advertisment is, and how they only have him putting in an appearance at the end.. hardly seems like he opened the place.. seems like some dudes opened the place and had the right contact to have him put in an apperance... could be wrong i mean i just watched the ad

if i ever go to detroit i'll be surprised, not because i don't like it, it's just far away from any friends or family... very interested in its urban renewal efforts though...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
it's amazing how basic the advertisment is, and how they only have him putting in an appearance at the end.. hardly seems like he opened the place.. seems like some dudes opened the place and had the right contact to have him put in an apperance... could be wrong i mean i just watched the ad

if i ever go to detroit i'll be surprised, not because i don't like it, it's just far away from any friends or family... very interested in its urban renewal efforts though...
Googling it, the place is near the baseball stadium downtown.

I've been to detroit to watch tigers and lions games. The stadiums are beside each other.

It's a fucking weird city. When you take the tunnel from Windsor (the main middle connection), Detroit's downtown is really nice. The area with the GM towers and pubs and streets by the stadiums are great. First thing you'll think is "What's so bad about Detroit?". You'll get this impression if you stick to the touristy nice downtown.

But drive a couple minutes west from there (or go to Detroit from Windsor using the bridge on the west side, where you need to then drive east to downtown). It's a hell hole like you just watched an episode of cops with abandoned druggie looking neighbourhoods. The benefit of that west bridge is that even though it's out of the way in terms of distance, it can actually get you downtown faster as it's less crowded. My buddy from Windsor knows the tricks and gave us a tour of Detroit one time when we did a Red Wings game.

The problem with the tunnel crossing is it's jammed on game night with tons of cars and buses full of fans all crossing and you still got to do a border check at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I've been to detroit to watch tigers and lions games. The stadiums are beside each other.

It's a fucking weird city. When you take the tunnel from Windsor (the main middle connection), Detroit's downtown is really nice. The area with the GM towers and pubs and streets by the stadiums are great. First thing you'll think is "What's so bad about Detroit?". You'll get this impression if you stick to the touristy nice downtown.

But drive a couple minutes west from there (or go to Detroit from Windsor for the bridge on the west side, where you need to then drive east to downtown). It's a hell hole like you just watched an episode of cops with abandoned druggie looking neighbourhoods. The benefit of that west bridge is that even though it's out of the way in terms of distance, it can actually get you downtown faster as it's less crowded. My buddy from Windsor knows the tricks and gave us a tour of Detroit one time when we did a Red Wings game.
Sloth Tell GIF

in my industry detroit is a really interesting case study of urban evacuation.. in my mind's eye it's like some awful evacuated disneyland-come-badly managed sim city city... fascinating though. that '8-mile' road referenced in the eminen film is apartently a big part of the way the city fractured... that and satellite cities sucking up all the wealthy residents... but i've heard that they're turning it around somewhat

I'm not tipping a face like that, cheer up pal

that's exactly how maroon 5 do it

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sloth Tell GIF

in my industry detroit is a really interesting case study of urban evacuation.. in my mind's eye it's like some awful evacuated disneyland-come-badly managed sim city city... fascinating though. that '8-mile' road referenced in the eminen film is apartently a big part of the way the city fractured... that and satellite cities sucking up all the wealthy residents... but i've heard that they're turning it around somewhat

that's exactly how maroon 5 do it
During some other trips there with other friends, we stayed in Detroit downtown too, but closer to the grubbier part of it. I prefer nice places like a half decent hotel, but some buddies wanted to cheap out on an AirBNB. We stayed at this trainwreck building, which you tell was once an office of something but got semi-converted to suites. Amazingly, the unit itself wasnt bad but the exterior of the building and hallways were half broken.

The worst part was we were starving and wanted whatever was open within walking distance. A block down the street was a variety store with a Subway Sandwich inside. Good enough.

We walk in, and the entire front counter is covered in some kind of bullet proof glass and in order to order food and pay the glass has a little revolving door part the clerk turns to make an open space to swap snacks and money.

Crazy.

Tschumi

During some other trips there with other friends, we stayed in Detroit downtown too, but closer to the grubbier part of it. I prefer nice places like a half decent hotel, but some buddies wanted to cheap out on an AirBNB. We stayed at this trainwreck building, which you tell was once an office of something but got semi-converted to suites. Amazingly, the unit itself wasnt bad but the exterior of the building and hallways were half broken.

The worst part was we were starving and wanted whatever was open within walking distance. A block down the street was a variety store with a Subway Sandwich inside. Good enough.

We walk in, and the entire front counter is covered in some kind of bullet proof glass and in order to order food and pay the glass has a little revolving door part the clerk turns to make an open space to swap snacks and money.

Crazy.
this is kinda reminding me of times i went to the wrong parts of places like jakarta and ho chi minh city, i remember my friend telling me that one mall or an other was run by the paramilitary groups that massacred chinese-indonesians in the late 90s and everyone in there gave me the stinkeye lol, ehh

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Does he dye his beard? Looks ridiculous.

Like his music, he's aged badly.

This reeks of a desperate attempt to stay relevant. For that price as well, I'd expect the greatest spaghetti of all time, but something tells me the price is this much because of who owns the place.

Star-Lord

Why pay $9 for pasta you could’ve cooked at home for a fraction of the price? You Americans and your fast food…

Dural

But drive a couple minutes west from there (or go to Detroit from Windsor using the bridge on the west side, where you need to then drive east to downtown). It's a hell hole like you just watched an episode of cops with abandoned druggie looking neighbourhoods. The benefit of that west bridge is that even though it's out of the way in terms of distance, it can actually get you downtown faster as it's less crowded. My buddy from Windsor knows the tricks and gave us a tour of Detroit one time when we did a Red Wings game.

The problem with the tunnel crossing is it's jammed on game night with tons of cars and buses full of fans all crossing and you still got to do a border check at the end of the tunnel.

It's funny because this is so true, the first time I'd been to Detroit for work was 2019 and I went to downtown to check it out. My impression was exactly as you said, it was nice, the stadiums were great. I walked around Comerica as I'm a big baseball fan, White Sox not Tigers, and drove around the downtown. I then went to the original Buddy's Pizza as I was told it's not the same at the other locations, had to go down streets full of abandoned houses and empty lots. There was like one house on the street that people lived in, it looked like something out of a movie.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's funny because this is so true, the first time I'd been to Detroit for work was 2019 and I went to downtown to check it out. My impression was exactly as you said, it was nice, the stadiums were great. I walked around Comerica as I'm a big baseball fan, White Sox not Tigers, and drove around the downtown. I then went to the original Buddy's Pizza as I was told it's not the same at the other locations, had to go down streets full of abandoned houses and empty lots. There was like one house on the street that people lived in, it looked like something out of a movie.
Did Buddy's pizza up north from Detroit. First time I had it. Best pizza I ever had. No joke. Kind of pricey for what you get but the square shape was nice too. We all agreed it was excellent pizza.

Side note. I've done a Reds game. Great ballpark. I dont know what the driving situation as my buddy drove, but we decided to park on the other side of the bridge in a sketchy lot. Not sure why, but probably because it wasnt worth driving right to the stadium. Everyone was doing it too. Googling it, there's two bridges that cross the Ohio river, we must had park across from one of them. Not a long walk at all.

Last edited:

TheMan

I would not have expected him to capitalize on a meme like that but more power to him. I’ve read reviews saying the food is just alright though, nothing special. Although I don’t really associate Eminem with haute cuisine so Im not sure I should have expected greatness. I give it a year, two tops

Last edited:
Top Bottom