• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emirates 777 - Crash land at DXB

Status
Not open for further replies.

danowat

Banned
Source : AVherald

http://avherald.com/h?article=49c12302&opt=0

275 passengers, 18 crew, no fatalities.

An Emirates Airlines Boeing 777-300, registration A6-EMW performing flight EK-521 from Thiruvananthapuram (India) to Dubai (United Arab Emirates) with 275 people on board, was on final approach to Dubai's runway 12L at 12:41L (08:41Z) but attempted to go around from low height. The aircraft however did not climb, but after retracting the gear touched down on the runway and burst into flames. Passengers are being reported evacuated and safe. The aircraft burned down completely.

'According to ATC recordings the aircraft performed a normal approach and landing, there was no priority or emergency declared. Upon contacting tower tower reminded the crew of lowering the gear and cleared the aircraft to land. Another approach reported on tower frequency.

About 2 minutes after EK-521 reported on tower tower instructed the aircraft to climb to 4000 feet (no go-around call heard from the crew), the crew acknowledged climbing to 4000 feet, a few seconds later tower instructs the next arrival to go around and alerts emergency services. The position of the aircraft is described near the end of the runway.'

"...was on final approach to Dubai's runway 12L at 12:41L (08:41Z) but attempted to go around from low height. The aircraft however did not climb, but after retracting the gear touched down on the runway and burst into flames...."

Windshear was also reported.
AR-160809830.jpg&MaxW=780&imageVersion=16by9&NCS_modified=20160803111238

Co7Jgj8WYAAeKfc.jpg

Fuel Explosion.

https://twitter.com/uavpilot07/status/760779287779745792

Engine detatchment

https://twitter.com/flight_report/status/760776942882791424

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lyjRefyufg

Booser

That's very confusing. What the hell happened?

Sounds like they were instructed to climb, retracted the landing gear, but came down anyway?

Watevaman

That's very confusing. What the hell happened?

Sounds like they were instructed to climb, retracted the landing gear, but came down anyway?

The second quote makes it sound like they were trying to comply with the order of climbing and attempting another landing, but they couldn't generate enough lift and had already retracted their gear. Maybe the storm affected the engine power.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Damn that'd be terrifying, very good to hear everyone got outta there safe.

As far as I'm gathering they were supposed to climb, retracted their landing gear but still hit the ground possibly due to adverse weather/wind or something like that?

danowat

Banned
As far as I'm gathering they were supposed to climb, retracted their landing gear but still hit the ground possibly due to adverse weather/wind or something like that?

Early reports seem to indicate that is the case, obviously more will become clear in time.

It's mighty impressive that a bird that big can perform a gear up landing and have a 100% survival rate.

But yes, must have been very, very scary.
There's that one plane a while ago that had a gear up perfect landing. Forget where it took place but look it up on YouTube. Pilot touches down perfectly.

danowat

Banned
Source : AVHerald

An Emirates Airlines Boeing 777-300, registration A6-EMW performing flight EK-521 from Thiruvananthapuram (India) to Dubai (United Arab Emirates) with 275 people on board, was on final approach to Dubai's runway 12L at 12:41L (08:41Z) but attempted to go around from low height. The aircraft however did not climb, but after retracting the gear touched down on the runway and burst into flames. Passengers are being reported evacuated and safe. The aircraft burned down completely.

spuckthew

I'm amazed by the number of people in that video who are carrying luggage. Then again, I sure as shit would try my hardest to at least take my carry-on with me.

Emirates is known for there High safety measures and precautions, this incident will surely double these measures even further.

Jezbollah

Jeez, my dad is taking an Emirates flight to Dubai in two days...

And Emirates have had three accidents (including this one) in 30 years of operation. You don't need to worry.

Sounds like this incident was down to a late go around at around minimums speed. This is the fourth incident resulting in a hull loss in normal service. Considering that the 777 is the major class leading wide body airliner (it will replace the 747 in the future) it has a remarkable safety record.

danowat

Banned
I'm amazed by the number of people in that video who are carrying luggage. Then again, I sure as shit would try my hardest to at least take my carry-on with me.

Despite being told to leave everything behind in the event of an emergency on every single flight.

Z3K

Well done to all involved in averting what could've been a major disaster.
Reports I'm reading are suggesting that the pilot tried to abort a landing but couldn't climb back up again.

Apparently there is one fatality but among the Airport firemen.
Its reported by UAE media that he had a hand in saving the passengers.
RIP HERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom