• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emirates named World's Best Airline in 2016 Skytrax Awards (Top 10 announced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

Why would you be pricing same day flights, everyone knows those prices are jacked up in the US. The only people who would be in the market for those are people travelling for business, not the average middle class person you keep bringing up.

This is purposely skewing the comparison.

Most of the people that get same day flights from Atlanta to Dubai are your average middle class. They need the cheapest option and it is not a luxury. The same you would see in the US.

ErichWK

What was the price difference between the two?

Singapore Airlines cost me $1,200 my first trip because I bought the tickets 2 weeks before I left. (It was spur of the moment) second trip was $900 because we bought it earlier. And the third time with American Airlines was around $1,100. And we got it 2 months advance.

The reason we got American was..we thought we were buying it from japan air, but we didn't read the part that said "operated by American Airlines" I was fucking infuriated and felt lied to. That was the last time I let my friends pick the flight.

US prices being jacked up is the entire point of this conversation lmao.

I'm just not seeing those prices you are quoting. That ATL to MIA today flight was $160, which isn't bad considering it's last minute. And with last minute stuff with mostly full flights, not sure why anyone would expect prices to be that low.

US carriers have been very effective in ensuring their flights are mostly always full. I'm not sure if this is always the case overseas. Of course full flights create challenges for passengers, but the fact is there just aren't a lot of available seats open at the last minute.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...better-at-making-certain-your-flight-is-full/

rambis

Banned
Most of the people that get same day flights from Atlanta to Dubai are your average middle class. They need the cheapest option and it is not a luxury. The same you would see in the US.
Only reason I brought up Atl to Dubai is because of you saying the average price of an Emirates ticket is $1500. Which is false and only for trips of that length...

numble

Only reason I brought up Atl to Dubai is because of you saying the average price of an Emirates ticket is $1500. Which is flase and only for trips of that length...

How can a factual statement of the average price be false? I simply looked up the average Emirates ticket price and reported it.

You brought up Atlanta to Dubai on Qatar Airways--what does that have to do with the average Emirates ticket price?

rambis

Banned
How can a factual statement of the average price be false? I simply looked up the average Emirates ticket price and reported it.

You brought up Atlanta to Dubai on Qatar Airways--what does that have to do with the average Emirates ticket price?
Link?

I brought up the cheapest flight from Atlanta to Dubai...

rambis

Banned
Its quite telling that you think the fairest way to compare the rates of different airlines is to use rates that 99.9% of passengers dont pay.
Jesus fucking christ lol.

July 30th
ATL to Dubai
Cheapeast? Qatar airways $968

Cheapest US? Delta $1241

Does this please you?
Source:Google flights

Im seraching google by the way.
I know. The only link that mentions a $1500 average ticket price is the one that reviewed a flight from Dubai to NY.

thefro

I'm just not seeing those prices you are quoting. That ATL to MIA today flight was $160, which isn't bad considering it's last minute. And with last minute stuff with mostly full flights, not sure why anyone would expect prices to be that low.

US carriers have been very effective in ensuring their flights are mostly always full. I'm not sure if this is always the case overseas. Of course full flights create challenges for passengers, but the fact is there just aren't a lot of available seats open at the last minute.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...better-at-making-certain-your-flight-is-full/
Well I as a passenger dont care about that last paragraph and in fact it goes to show how money grubbing US carriers have become. I just want cheap tickets, good service, good food and on time arrivals.

Well I as a passenger dont care about that last paragraph and in fact it goes to show how money grubbing US carriers have become. I just want cheap tickets, good service, good food and on time arrivals.
As I cite a cheap ticket from ATL to MIA same day?

I do agree there are things Europe/Asia does better. But not all of that is sustainable. So what good is it if an airline can't handle all you ask for and has to shut down? As has happened plenty of times in history. Something has to give as US carriers aren't state supported.

Sayad

I assume the average price will be heavily skewed due to how ridiculous first class tickets prices can be(can be up to 5 or 6 times the regular ticket).

Also, Qatar Airways prices are generally in the same range as Emirates from experience, which one is cheaper could go either way depending on the destination, time, offers, etc...

rambis

Banned
I assume the average price will be heavily skewed due to how ridiculous first class tickets prices can be(can be up to 5 or 6 times the regular ticket).

Also, Qatar Airways prices are generally in the same range as Emirates from experience, which one is cheaper could go either way depending on the destination, time, offers, etc...
Pretty sure his average comes from this link that is only referencing NY to Dubai.

http://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/Emirates-Airlines-Airbus-A380-1841800

Average tickets for the airline isnt readily available I think.

numble

Has technology figured out how to wifi over the pacific ocean yet? It's been 4 years since i've flown international.
Yes, but you need to pay for Internet access. You can use the internal network to stream their movies and I think if you have T-Mobile you have some additional freebies.

Another thing worth pointing out--since the only option from US to China (without switching in a third country) are US and Chinese airlines, the US planes operate with American rules (you can look at your iPad during takeoff, you can use your phone in airplane mode) while the Chinese airlines have strict Chinese regulations (they won't let you use your phone, even in airplane mode, no use of electronics during takeoff, no wifi).

Jesus fucking christ lol.

July 30th
ATL to Dubai
Cheapeast? Qatar airways $968

Cheapest US? Delta $1241

Does this please you?
Source:Google flights

I know. The only link that mentions a $1500 average ticket price is the one that reviewed a flight from Dubai to NY.

And now you can see flights from Atlanta to Miami are much cheaper than the $230 you were going on about and that distance is double the Dubai to Doha flight.

EhoaVash

Went on family vacation last year on Emirates, we had economy. It was pretty good. Was a 16 hour flight though so my bum hurt like hell by the time I got off.

But the flight it self was enjoyable. We went just before summer started, the plane had movies that weren't even out yet in America, got to see many good new films. International flight food is always good, lunch breakfast etc was great. The flight attendant were really attractive looking and had on special Emirates dress code. Really hot looking girls lol.

Really wish I bought some nose canceling headphones though, their headphones were okay.
Oh yeah, I lucked out on the tickets too, family of 4 tickets tickets were almost 4k Was expecting more.

rambis

Banned
And now you can see flights from Atlanta to Miami are much cheaper than the $230 you were going on about and that distance is double the Dubai to Doha flight.

frontierz4kdm.png

That flight wasn't there at the time I searched. The $230 was the one highlighted. Whatever its really besides the point anyway.

jb1234

Thank goodness I now live near an airport that actually has something other than Southwest, Delta, United, American, and Frontier. Has anyone flown Virgin America, and can compare it to the other North American airlines?

I prefer it to all other North American airlines I've flown with. The mood lighting is a nice touch, prices are generally decent and I just find it more comfortable overall. And not nearly as many delays as say, United.

How on earth is Jetstar on that list for economy flying, it has a terrible reputation here. Literally never been on a Jetstar flight that left on time.

I prefer it to all other North American airlines I've flown with. The mood lighting is a nice touch, prices are generally decent and I just find it more comfortable overall. And not nearly as many delays as say, United.

I've seen a few people mention the mood lighting thing on Virgin. Is that just a product of the newer planes? Because I have flown a few times on American recently and they had the new LED cabin lighting, integrated touchscreens in the seats, power outlets, etc. in economy.

Or is Virgin doing something different?

Lamel

Banned
Those saying that Emirates or Etihad passengers are mainly wealthy are incredibly misinformed. They are some of the best airlines for middle class families with regards to international travel.

On topic, I'm not surprised. Have flown both Emirates and Etihad and the experience was great.

I'm planning a trip to hong kong next april and it looks like my best options are Qatar, Cathay Pacific, and Emirates. I'm leaning towards Qatar because their A350 looks cool and one of the legs of the flight is on a 787. I've only ever flown on Delta, American, United, and US Airways, so I'm expecting a life changing experience.

Dingens

The US middle class typically do not fly internationally (2/3 of Americans don't even have passports) or even much domestically.

The average Emirates airline ticket is $1500, compared to the average US airline ticket being less than $400. Middle class do not spend 5-10% of their after-tax income on an Emirates flight.

It's incredible how expensive flying is from an American point of view...
I just looked up the longest route I could think of at the moment (lissabon - tokyo) and even that is only roughly 715$ with emirates (round trip ticket). Amazingly that's not even the cheapest option... that would be aroun 520$ (round trip also) via dusseldorf with Lufthansa.

Flying in the US seems to blow big time. Paying the most for the bare minimum and than also having to deal with American airport security? ugh...
I guess people put up with it because, apparently (?), 2/3rds never leave the country, therefore most citizens don't even know that what they put up with certainly is not the norm for air travel

Undead

People can complain about airlines costing more money than others but the thing a lot of people don't take into account is cost per mile or comfort cost per mile.

If I had to fly to NY from here in UK, I could fly with a US airline at a cost of £440 or about 13p per mile but that would be shitty quality and service, much better for me to pay £600 or 5p per mile and go on Emirates with better service, it's further to travel but it's by far the better option if you value comfort.

Next month is a trip back to Cebu with Singapore Airlines from Dusseldorf at a cost of 2.4p per mile, getting from the UK to Dusseldorf costs 14p per mile on a shitty budget Eurowings flight.

I'm planning a trip to hong kong next april and it looks like my best options are Qatar, Cathay Pacific, and Emirates. I'm leaning towards Qatar because their A350 looks cool and one of the legs of the flight is on a 787. I've only ever flown on Delta, American, United, and US Airways, so I'm expecting a life changing experience.

The A350 is a great plane to fly on, extremely smooth. 787's are different matter though because airlines are squeezing in 9 seats to cabins designed for only 8 however Qatar's 787's are absolutely awful with a miserable 17 inch wide seat and an IFE box that takes up 1/3 of your legroom.
Oh and if you do pick Qatar, don't choose a short layover just in case you have to wait to be bussed to the terminal from the plane landing.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Sorry guys, flight and lodging set the tone for the trip. I don't mind paying a little more in those areas for a really quality experience. Any time I fly the US airlines I make sure to pay for the extra leg room seats since i am 6'4" tall, tho I have had status so it was comped before. I am actually currently in South Africa from the US, used points to book Emirates first on the way down and BA first on the way back

Are you flying from the US? If so the ME3 make no sense. Fly with Cathay Pacific or AA for a more direct flight. I think CX departs out of Vancouver, NYC area, Chicago, LAX, and Dallas to name a few.

Pro-tip - Check the Wiki page for the Hong Kong International Airport, that will tell you where the airlines go.

spekkeh

Banned
Emirates is great. Still need to be banned for illegal state funding.

Etihad was also great but I would think twice about taking them solely over how shit the Abu Dhabi airport is.

Eva air has me scratching my head.

slider

What about my BA Loyalty Card? :(

The most perfect steward/stewardess I've ever seen at work was on a Delta flight from Houston to Chicago (at least I think that was the route - was a few years ago).

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
What about my BA Loyalty Card? :(

The most perfect steward/stewardess I've ever seen at work was on a Delta flight from Houston to Chicago (at least I think that was the route - was a few years ago).

Actually I love Delta's service and their FAs are always on it. Delta is the most consistent soft product IMO and I like them most of all from the US carriers.

I haven't used any airline except Emirates for the past 8 years. Definitely deserves the #1 spot.

Which reminds me...I need to make that mileage account...

Zaptruder

Banned
I haven't used any airline except Emirates for the past 8 years. Definitely deserves the #1 spot.

Which reminds me...I need to make that mileage account...

If you haven't used any airline except Emirates for the past 8 years... how do you know it deserves the #1 spot?

Alienfan

#1 is well deserved. Foods genuinely edible, flight entertainment is the best and the seats are comfortable - they even put us up in a hotel while we waited for our next flight, which included a cooked breakfast (we were flying Economy as well). They're also usually the cheapest option as well!

If you haven't used any airline except Emirates for the past 8 years... how do you know it deserves the #1 spot?

Because nothing else beats it. I did try a few airlines here and there back in 2013 ( I forgot about that) but yeah, that was a forgettable experience.

Azoor

Emirates are awesome, Qatar are pretty great too.

I've had terrible experiences with Turkish Airlines though.

Never been impressed with Lufthansa when I flew with them when I was younger, but will try Singaporean Airlines when i go to New Zealand next year.

The worst airlines I have been traveling with is the US airlines and Ryanair. It is astonishing how bad service, and behaviour is common with these companies. I do not have much against the flight attendants in the US. It is more the company rules. services and flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom