• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of an era: Sony kills the Xperia Z range

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that doesn't mean they stop supporting the devices after a year. My Vaio pro 13 never got those windows 10 drivers they had promised.

wighti

Love my Z3 compact ... except the part about them breaking so easily. I've dropped the phone excactly 2 times and both times the phon broke. Thank god for the warranty. Get the tiniest crack on the screen that you can hardly even see and the touch screen just stops working.

Other than that, the phones amazing 👍

Dead Man

Damn it, I was hoping the new line would be similar but with decent glass. Oh well, back to looking for a decent sub 5 inch phone.

Sucks.

I always thought the Xperia Z phones were beautifully designed and just screamed premium. I myself am an Android user when it comes to mobile (stock Android) and would have loved a Google Play Edition of an Xperia Z phone which we never got.

Instead we got that abomination Xperia Z Ultra, the only tease.

Khoryos

I bought the original Z because it was pitched as being hard-wearing - and it was! It was great,never had any problems with it and I dropped that thing a LOT.

My Z3, however, is buggy as hell and the back panel shattered from plugging in the power cable.
Seriously, I thought I'd gotten an electric shock - it was actually a palmfull of glass.
But it still works, and my contract isn't up for another year, so I'm making do.

(Oh, and we totally call it the Xperia Zed in the UK)

paolo11

I love the Z5 premium. I expected a Z successor.

At least Sony phones will market IS now. The Z5 was marketed late in the US.

Bye bitch.

My super slippery Z3 will not be missed when I replace it, magnet charging input broke, headphone jack broke, charging flap broke, upper speaker broke, had to send it in a couple of times...camera software is terrible and night pictures are horrific, still no Marshmallow.

Knew that would happen as soon as they announced the X series. Still rocking my brilliant Z2 will probably keep it for another year.

Fezan

I still think we are going to see Xperia z series later this year. I think they just want people to focus on x currently so that there are no lost sales.

Their strategy looks like this

Xperia X = same size different internals. XP,X,XA

Xperia Z = same internals different size.
Z6P, Z6, Z6C

jwk94

*strokes Z3 like a puppy*

I guess I'll have to visit the Android OT to find a new phone with an SD slot.

Moto X Pure Edition or looks like the LG G5 for the more popular phones that let you fully utilize the SD card slot.

S7 and edge for SD card slot that only allows media storage.

Then you have a lot of overseas phones that also have SD card slots. Idk how well they perform though.

wachie

I'll be holding on to my Z5 then. Disappointing news.
Dont be disappointed.

I think with fewer lines to work (both hardware and software wise), I think Sony will ramp up the X (performance) line gradually so that the flagship Z wont be missed. Once the Xperias are in more hands (with better availability) then people will realize that these phones sport some of the best cameras with awesome battery life.

I so hope this is wrong. Love my Z3C, it's so rare to have a compact phone with such great specs. My previous phones were a HTC Wildfire and Galaxy S-III mini, both utter shit and made me forever hate Samsung. Was thinking of upgrading to a Z6 by the end of the year, but it seems that I'll hold on to my Z3C or maybe upgrade to the Z5C.

Thraktor

This is pretty much what I expected when reading about the reveal of the X series. They're moving from their old naming model, which divided phones into high-end (Z), mid-range (M) and entry-level (E) categories, to a new naming model which groups phones by screen size instead. So, where they used to have the high-end Z range with ~4.6", ~5" and ~5.5" models, and then an M range with multiple sizes as well, etc., we're instead getting an X range, which comprises three 5" phones, one high-end, one mid-range and one entry-level, and then we're probably going to get a new letter to denote a range of 5.5" phones, again one high-end, one mid-range and one entry level. Then probably a range of 4.6" phones across multiple performance segments too.

It actually sort of makes sense from a marketing point of view. Instead of the E and M ranges which are largely ignored, their low and mid-range phones get to have the same designation as their high-end phones, which will get most of the marketing push and press coverage. Someone shopping for a cheaper phone will then see one from the Sony X series and think "I've heard the Sony X phones are good", even if most of the publicity they're thinking about is for the high-end model.

Gitaroo

I own z1, zu and z5p. The beginning and the end lol. Continue to pretend z doesn't exist..... But z5p is definitely amazing.

Dinjooh

Ok which one to get on the cheap? Z3C or Z5C?

They're basically the same price where I'm at. But anywho, I have both, so without a shadow of a doubt, Z5C. They are a lot alike, but three things really stand out for me with the Z5C.

1. Design

I really think they nailed the design on this one, the sides and the back is especially gorgeous.

2. Fingerprint sensor

I never know how much I missed this till I actually had it.

3. No fucking flabs

Well, there's still some flaps, but they only hide the sim card and SD card, so you won't open it often. But you can pop that micro usb right in there.

obin_gam

They're basically the same price where I'm at. But anywho, I have both, so without a shadow of a doubt, Z5C. They are a lot alike, but three things really stand out for me with the Z5C.

1. Design

I really think they nailed the design on this one, the sides and the back is especially gorgeous.

2. Fingerprint sensor

I never know how much I missed this till I actually had it.

3. No fucking flabs

Well, there's still some flaps, but they only hide the sim card and SD card, so you won't open it often. But you can pop that micro usb right in there.
The z5c doesn't come in mint green though...

RM8

I understand trying to go after the potentially more profitable mid range market. I don't understand not pricing them like mid range phones. The saddest part is that there's no Compact version in this new line, too. This makes it harder for me to go back to Android :/

MutFox

Banned
Just bought a brand new unlocked Z2.
Does everything I need, the speed difference to a Z5 is minimal.
(Missing finger print sensor, but don't care about that feature at the moment)

I'm gonna try and be 2-3 years behind on smartphones, the price difference is crazy.
Also, unlocked Z2 and Z3's support more bands than the Z5, great for traveling.

Reason I went for a Z2 over a Z3 is that the camera sensor on Z2 seems to be better.
There is less of a haze around objects. (Z3 introduced a new sensor)

Best thing about buying late is that you'll know all the issues that the phone will have.
I saved $500 off a new Z2, but a few years later.

Ledbetter

Ah, wanted one since the first Xperia Z was announced, having had a good experience with the Xperia T.

Hopefully, this means that they will space more their phone releases, as the Z range was really messed up in that aspect.

Disxo

Hope they put support to remote play for phones like the m4 now.
The z only exclusivity was bs, I can run that stuff easily with an apk.

Forsete

Z2 is the best phone I have ever owned.

Fantastic battery life - still
Fast - still hasn't started to slowed down, something my previous smartphones would have done by this point
Very nice screen

Still rocking with my Z but my back is coming off now :(

Probably going to replace it this year or next year with something else. What would be a good replacement? Gotta look around now!

Fezan

Z2 is the best phone I have ever owned.

Fantastic battery life - still
Fast - still hasn't started to slowed down, something my previous smartphones would have done by this point
Very nice screen
Same here whereas my friends s5 is a buggy mess with ver low ost. I get around 5 hours ost on daily tasks without stamina mode

soultron

Banned
Guess I'll have to grab a Z5C eventually then. Just got my Z3C last summer and it's the best mobile phone I've ever owned. It's incredible.

I honestly don't care if the Z series dies out, I just hope Sony doesn't abandon compact phones.

I've owned the W760 (screen cracked), the Xperia Ray (still working), and am currently using the Z.

Thinking about upgrading but the Z5 and Z5P are locked to one carrier and the Z5C isn't available in Canada. It's too bad Sony closed all their stores in Canada.

MutFox

Banned
I've owned the W760 (screen cracked), the Xperia Ray (still working), and am currently using the Z.

Thinking about upgrading but the Z5 and Z5P are locked to one carrier and the Z5C isn't available in Canada. It's too bad Sony closed all their stores in Canada.

You can buy unlocked versions online.
If the Z5 is too expensive now, go for an older model, they go down in price quick.

soultron

Banned

I ordered my Z3C unlocked from Sony Canada. Is the Z5C not offered there?

Dammit I've been holding out for the Z5P here in the US, guess I'll upgrade from the Z to the Z5. Also I've looked at the specs for the X on the Sony website and there is no mention of waterproof any info on whether it's true or not may sway me towards the X.

Hesemonni

Banned
That word, it may not be the one you intended to use ;) I'm on my second one, and it is busted too. Never broken another phone ever. I love its features, but hate it's materials.
Well yeah, I hate the port covers. My Z3c lost the one covering the USB port and SD slot. That's pretty much the only gripe I have with the phone.

massoluk

Banned
I have mentioned it before, but they always had the worst timing whenever I were looking for a new phones.

Their phones were solid, yes, but there were never the best latest flagship phones in the market, at least for many past years in a row. Their new flagships always get released late in the US when the rivals were launching or ready to launch new flagship phones.

Loving my Z3C except the flaps and the delicacy (nothing a good case and a screen protector can't fix though), also the headphone jack stopped working properly, gets disconnected ultra easily now.

Amazing phone nonetheless.

Would've loved to upgrade to the newest compact Z once this phone died out, but alas, it seems that that will not be possible. Sucks.

Tapejara

Z3 is the best phone I've owned so far. Sucks that they're phasing out the premium line up. Guess I might have to look into LG for my next purchase.

You can buy unlocked versions online.
If the Z5 is too expensive now, go for an older model, they go down in price quick.

Where? I've checked Expansys, Clove, and Headtec: the latter two have better prices but they're in the UK so warranty will be a headache. I won't use eBay.

I ordered my Z3C unlocked from Sony Canada. Is the Z5C not offered there?

The Sony Store (online and retail) closed last year, but I do remember then stocking the Z3C. Haven't seen the Z5C anywhere and I'm not sure if I would spring for that one since I've heard of issues with it.

That's a real shame. I'm still rocking my Z3 with a year left on my protection plan. I may still get an Xperia when this one gives up the ghost. It's a shame thry couldn't get AT&T to push the Xperia Z line. They've been great phones.

gblues

Banned
My wife's Z3 started acting up with corrupted display. We looked for a Z4 because the Xperia Z series is the only line on T-Mobile that has waterproofing. But Sony didn't release the Z4 to T-Mobile, so we ended up getting a Galaxy 6 with a lifeproof case.

Fuckers locked the bootloader, too, so I can't even try putting Cyanogenmod on it to try to repurpose it.

RIP Z3. You were good while you lasted.

Bye bitch.

My super slippery Z3 will not be missed when I replace it, magnet charging input broke, headphone jack broke, charging flap broke, upper speaker broke, had to send it in a couple of times...camera software is terrible and night pictures are horrific, still no Marshmallow.

Sorry to say but I am with you. Saying that have had a decent run once I got virtually everything fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom