• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enemies – real-time cinematic teaser | Unity tech demo

GrayDock

Wow. It can fool almost anyone.
Sadly I think it'll be at least another gen before we can get that in real time in a game with full npc ai, phisics, rt gi, etc. But we're getting there, which is exciting.

saintjules

Then at around 15 fps on current gen consoles.

Haha yeah indeed. Curious though, what kind of monstrous hardware would be needed to run something like that at 60? Definitely tech that doesn't exist currently or is it on any future roadmap?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I am more interested about what CPU and which c# runtime they used, I don't see stuttering, but than again is way more static than something like UE 5 demo, so if you have enough RAM/VRAM you are probably good. No show me something where you move like in UE 5 demo, it's going to be a stutter fest...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I watched the 1080p YT feed. Looked fine but nothing special. Still gamey. The hair especially, as it looked like something from 2015, and the teeth arent great either.

Notabueno

Banned
The difference between Unity and Unreal, is that Unreal actually released their tech demos (which are still not games) and on console...

They're not gonna trump anyone with this cute tech demo running on configs nobody actually has.

Fbh

Looks really nice but based on how the average Unity game runs (specially on consoles) this is going to need a couple of Ps8's running in parallel to be playable.

GymWolf

Details are incredible but uncanny valley in full effect here.

I think some humans made with unreal were more realistic tbh, but mayne because they were still models and not acting like this chick.

onQ123

9934e5db7c7dd80cb2e0fa22aff4b05d.gif

RedPossibleArgentineruddyduck-size_restricted.gif

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Did you say 4K30 on an RTX 3090 with DLSS?
Hahaha might as well have just said this is an offline render.
j/k

If they really do have a console spec version of this demo.
They def need to release it once its fully migrated to Ziva.

On Topic
This is why I love rendering tech, they are always finding ways to make life easier for us.
  • Tension tech for blood flow simulation and wrinkle maps, eliminating the need for a facial rig for fine details
I def need to read more about this tension tech it sounds absolutely amazing.
Someone give me their GDC pass, I can do the online only all good my others expired basically when Covid started.

Hot damn! The most impressive bit of that whole thing, to me, upper lip animation. They did an amazing job with it, it's usually a head giveaway... it always looks so unnatural.

I can't wait for the time when you look back this trailer and think "man, I remember how good this looked back when it first released"

Black_Stride

We have yet to see any Unity engine game do even last gen's tech demo level.

Like the forest demos done on the PS4Pro, etc..
I almost feel bad that Unity doesnt have a The Coalition-esc developer who shows us what HDRP can really do in a shipped product.
We know Unity can create amazing visuals see "every HDRP demo ever".
But no developer bothers actually making games that look that good.
Can we download this to run on our PCs?, my new BEAST would love to try this!
After GDC and after they have converted the digital human from 4D to Ziva.

GymWolf

Did you say 4K30 on an RTX 3090 with DLSS?
Hahaha might as well have just said this is an offline render.
j/k

If they really do have a console spec version of this demo.
They def need to release it once its fully migrated to Ziva.

On Topic
This is why I love rendering tech, they are always finding ways to make life easier for us.
  • Tension tech for blood flow simulation and wrinkle maps, eliminating the need for a facial rig for fine details
I def need to read more about this tension tech it sounds absolutely amazing.
Someone give me their GDC pass, I can do the online only all good my others expired basically when Covid started.

That tweet with the blackface is a bit racist tho...

Last edited:

Rat Rage

The more videogames try to become movies (hiring mocap actors, spending fortunes on hyper realistic graphcis), in order to lure in more of the mainstream crowd into the gaming market by trying to become more and more "cinematic", the more boring and shit they'll become. Striving for perfect realism is an creative dead end.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Interesting, the demo featured ssgi? I would’ve though they would use real-time global illumination. Also no raytraced shadows? Just raytraced ao it seems.

enemies-hair-strand-810x455%401x_0.jpg

Looks really convincing.

The demo is using Raytraced AO, Sun Shadows and Reflections.
Their GI solution looks absolutely incredible this is likely a sort of show off that you dont NEED RTGI to get near ground truth results.

The GI is realtime, they arent using lightmaps.
They are using probes plus a screen space solution to make everything look correct.
The geometric detail would fuck the fuck up of any sort of lightmaps.
FOXyx8kXMAMaCl0

Bkdk

Hopefully next time unity will show how good looking a female character can be with its engine power. For character designs, that's what will make gaming the most money, probably let a japanese/korean team to create a tech demo and they will do their best to create a character like that.

Black_Stride

looks nice, not anything near "reality" though.
Im mean seriously.
The only reason you know ONE of these is a render is because you are looking for one of these pictures to be a render.
If I just showed you this picture without context you'd never think theres a render interspliced, youd think its just light probe camera work to capture the model.
Its a really convincing skin and eye shader.
FOYJ0IKWQAwPSJ1

The weakest part of the full demo is the hair.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Unity often shows impressive tech demos, but it never seems to translate to games that actually get released. Maybe because of the type of studios that typically use Unity don't have the resources to actually produce something like that, maybe because Unity's tools for making impressive stuff aren't as good as Unreal's.

Reallink

Would love to see what are the tradeoffs to make that work on console.
Between this and unreal, can't wait to see games with this kind of detail

If its fully leveraging the tensor and RT cores to pull it off, consoles could maybe run it at 5 FPS or 1/8th the resolution. PS5/SX are nearly a full 5 year console generation behind a 3090 in practice when it fully saturates all its cores and features. Even in the cost no object PC space, AMD in general is like 2 PC GPU generations behind Nvidia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom