• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enemies that initially look harmless, but scare you after fighting them once?

Basically, enemies you have fought that originally looked like pushovers, but after fighting them once you want to avoid encountering them at all costs.

To start off:

wt8JVJE.png

Me: Aw, it's a cute little lizard thing. This should be easy. Why is it by itself though?
*does multiple attacks*
Me: Huh? It's not dead yet?
*Tonberry's turn to attack*
Me: What's it doing?
*Tonberry slowly shuffles to one of my characters... DOINK*
*character suffers an enormous amount of damage and dies*
Me: W-WHAT IS THIS!?
*Tonberry proceeds to slowly but effectively kill off the rest of my party while I futilely attack it... DOINK*
Me: WHY WON'T IT DIE!?
*DOINK*
GAME OVER

I panic whenever I have to fight these guys now. They are like the scariest enemy I've ever come across lol.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
img-23.jpg

Lurkers from Resident Evil Zero. They just look like giant frogs, but they have the uncanny ability to jump from the most random pools of water at the slightest movement and gobble you whole with one quick swoosh of their tongue. Rather startling and stressful.

SH4baby.jpg

I had seen these in Silent Hill 4 promotion stuff and didn't think much of them, but goddamn do they terrify me in the actual game.

Demons/Dark Souls, the thread. Sure, they don't look completely harmless but most enemies end up being much more dangerous than they initially seem. Red-eyed knights looked cheesy to me the first time I saw one, Mindflayers look like abominations but not fast, agile and strong ones, then there's Mushroom men, giant cats and giant rats that gang up and poison the fuck out of you, parrying and backstabbing thieves, Mimics... almost anything that isn't a regular dregling basically. :(

90% of the things you run into in Etrian Odyssey games don't look harmful at all. But once you get your entire party decimates by a pack of butterflies you're pretty much on constant red alert.

To this day, I have no idea what's so terrifying about them. I found them to be totally inconsequential enemies.

It depends on how you first encounter them. Fall down a hole in the depths, be surrounded by some cute frogs who suddenly fart curse on you which halves your HP and you're scarred for life.

Lol at some of the shit being posted as looking harmless in here. Some creep as fuck creatures

Yeah, I'm talking about things that you'd normally find "cute" or "normal" and such. That mushroom thing and Scarfy are great examples lol. The Iron Maiden or black headcrab, on the other hand, are rather grotesque and already look dangerous upon first encountering them.

Teknoman

Dont Mimic chests breathe? I remember the first time I ran into one...during a late night Dark Souls session, saw a chest and figured i'd open it before saving and quitting for the night. Purest definition of the "nope" meme.

The only other thing thats ever legitimately surprised me in a game recently was Oven man.

Banshees in ME3. For context, I was playing as a Vanguard, and my strategy for every fight in the game was Charge, Melee, Shotgun, repeat. I was basically invincible until the first time they showed up. I gleefully Charge in, only to get a full on Resident-Evil-style instant death animation where this thing picks Shepard up and STICKS ITS HAND THROUGH HER STOMACH. I was terrified of those things for the rest of the game.

strobogo

Banned
Those fucking Joker Androids in DCU Online. Especially after first encountering them on my second day of playing the game. I don't even think I was at level 10 year. Those fucking things. So tiny and small and then they kill me instantly.

Top Bottom