• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved, new "first look" and screens

ymmv

Banned
Totobeni said:
thick bones ugly looking characters , ugly and dead faces ,and it seems like they are trying way too much with the post apocalyptic city but it look very bleh.

Crazy talk. You can say what you will about Enslaved, but the faces looks absolutely great, full of expression.

I don't understand why so many people are not only skeptical about new games but downright hateful and negative. I'd rather be positive than assume a priori that a newly announced game must stink to high heavens after just a couple of screenshots.

El-Suave

The environments look beautiful and the characters are pretty good, too. Very nice voice acting for the Monkey guy, a misstep there could have damaged the game quite a bit in my opinion.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The game looks TERRIBLE in screenshots. But it looks better in the video. I don't like the character models at all!

And the city doesn't look that great either. The lighting needs to be way better. But the animation looks superb.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Lighting and art design is fine, but texture resolution (and some really muddy, odd texture work) and barely any anti-aliasing really puts it down visually. Framerate looks pretty unstable too for a game that's supposed to be finished.

I am all for Ninja Theory and I enjoyed Heavenly Sword. Hope this game turns out great, just can't see how you can step down from Heavenly Sword, a first-gen PS3 game, visually. The realtime shadows were horrible in HS, that's the only improvement I see in this game.

If it turns out good, I'll buy it but surely they must be aware of these visual issues?

MedHead

Wow! This game looks great! It's even better than the screenshots! I really liked Heavenly Sword, so even if Enslaved offers no improvements over Heavenly Sword, I'm still sold!

AAK

A fairly positive preview from destructoid:
I love this game, I want this game! Ninja Theory's last outing, Heavenly Sword, was conceptually brilliant but practically flawed. Now armed with a real combat system, a great story, and a pair of endearing characters, not to mention the brilliant Andy Serkis, Ninja Theory is back with a game that, from what I've played, looks f*cking amazing. Accompanying our official preview, here are some Jimpressions!

Simply put, Enslaved stood out as one of my games of the show. I love the animation, the bright and colorful take on post apocalyptic Earth, and the awesome interactions between main character Monkey and his female captor/ally Trip. I really appreciated how Monkey's climbing and acrobatics feel natural, intuitive and quick, and I really dug the way in which both Trip and Monkey can distract enemies to draw fire so the other one can do their thing. Combat is quick-paced and very fun, the script is charming and funny, and the visuals, while taking a definite hit thanks to the Xbox 360 development, still manage to be breathtakingly beautiful.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is going to be an excellent game from what I played. A definite improvement over Heavenly Sword in nearly every way that matters, Enslaved looks set to be a true sleeper hit. I really hope the rest of the game is as smooth and well paced as what I played, because it truly was an E3 highlight for me.

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-10-jimpressions-of-enslaved-odyssey-to-the-west-177026.phtml

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Saw Gamespot's and IGN's coverage on this and while the art direction and gameplay both look good, I really can't stand the texture work or the image quality (texture filtering and antialiasing). It's like someone ran a Photoshop sharpen filter over the whole image. I can't stand it.

I hope it won't bug me when I eventually play the game.

kuYuri

TripOpt55

I'm really excited for this game. I like everything I've seen on it except how the things you platform on appear shiny. I could do without that. Otherwise looks very cool.

Not sure which pre-order bonus I'll go with. I guess the comic one.

Feindflug

TripOpt55 said:
I'm really excited for this game. I like everything I've seen on it except how the things you platform on appear shiny. I could do without that. Otherwise looks very cool.

Not sure which pre-order bonus I'll go with. I guess the comic one.

Hopefully there will be an option to turn this off like there was in Mirror's Edge.

I'm not a fan of HS but this game looks really interesting, the vids I've seen from E3 were surprisingly good and I can say that I'm really excited about this game, graphically looks awesome and the gameplay looks fun...my only concern is the length of the game.

deepbrown

Feindflug said:
Hopefully there will be an option to turn this off like there was in Mirror's Edge.

I'm not a fan of HS but this game looks really interesting, the vids I've seen from E3 were surprisingly good and I can say that I'm really excited about this game, graphically looks awesome and the gameplay looks fun...my only concern is the length of the game.
Yep I HATE the hand-holding in platforming...and combat really. In HS they couldn't find a way for people to read strong and soft attacks, so they added in the blue and orange colours. Now they're doing shiny platforms for platforming.

I am looking forward to this, despite the fact that the gameplay looked inspiring so far...

I really wish they could have used the HS engine... with improvements it could have looked pretty incredible

Strider2K99 said:

costimes2.jpg

jett

D-Member
Gamespot has uploaded some HD vids from E3:

Showcases platforming

Showcases combat

I think it looks like a pretty good game actually, like a proper "next-gen" Prince of Persia. Pretty sweet animation, quick platforming, and a simple but seemingly satisfying(from looking at it) combat. They also have a two-character relationship like Sands of Time and ICO, which adds a bit more depth to the whole thing. Graphically it looks good in motion, I think it's one of the best looking UE3 games to be honest. Gotta consider they are working within those limits. :p Art style is not the greatest but it works well enough.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Damn, I'm a huge fan of chicks' left legs. Gotta pre-order now.

Man, I hope it shows a decent amount of ass.

The next Tomb Raider game should totally make the oh-so-real Nude Raider skin a pre-order bonus. I'd be all over that shit.

:-D

Canova

Banned
jett said:

Showcases platforming

Showcases combat

I think it looks like a pretty good game actually, like a proper "next-gen" Prince of Persia. Pretty sweet animation, quick platforming, and a simple but seemingly satisfying(from looking at it) combat. They also have a two-character relationship like Sands of Time and ICO, which adds a bit more depth to the whole thing. Graphically it looks good in motion, I think it's one of the best looking UE3 games to be honest. Gotta consider they are working within those limits. :p Art style is not the greatest but it works well enough.

hmm, the combat looks pretty tight. i'm getting more interested

Vorg

Banned
I didn't know what to expect but the gameplay looks solid. It's also looking great, UE3 or not. You guys should take a look at some screenshots of heavenly sword. The game doesn't look that good nowadays and Enslaved is certainly much better looking.

Dali

jett said:

Showcases platforming

Showcases combat

So with these videos its confirmed that this is the least palettable video game protagonist since Bujingai. They gave him the personality of John McClain (Die Hard) and the looks of the Savage Dragon. I guess that's a bad comparison because Dragon looks somewhat cool.

Kittonwy

Banned
Game looks good visually but the actual gameplay seems so restricted in terms of what the player has to do, it doesn't look like you can deviate from following the prescribed steps, maybe it's just a tutorial.

robor

The platforming elements looked too forced imo. The voice acting and cut scene animations look reaally good. The best I've seen so far.

Maffis

Only thing that held me back from pre-ordering this game was the length, but now IGN has confirmed it to be around 12 hours (300% longer than Heavenly Sword). That is more than enough for me if the game has some extras to it.

Top Bottom