• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enterbrain Numbers 17 - 23rd Jan Uh-oh!!

Prine

Banned
GBA will soon die after PSP is launched in US and EU. Give it about 3 months in each territory.

IMO PSP will continue to outsell DS until Pokemon is launched, DS will be on top for about a month then things will be back to normal. Sony and Square announce some big name games at e3, PSP will soon take the market and everyone celebrates

GO PSP!

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
This discrepency is clearly due to the obvious shortage of Nintendo DS units in the retail channel. PSP's have been said to be "scarce" (by Sony cohorts, no doubt) eventhough they have been abundantly available.

I blame this round on Shortages. Wait 'till E3.

Broshnat

Banned
Prine said:
GBA will soon die after PSP is launched in US and EU. Give it about 3 months in each territory.

IMO PSP will continue to outsell DS until Pokemon is launched, DS will be on top for about a month then things will be back to normal. Sony and Square announce some big name games at e3, PSP will soon take the market and everyone celebrates

GO PSP!

And what intelligence / knowledge / experience do you base this on?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Looks like my expectations are coming true. I was always confident that PSPwould outsell DS. PSP has a MG game, DS doesnt:p and also PSP is better in almost every other category.

Thinks are looking bad for Nintendo though, their DS sales have slipped behing PSP sales, GC sales are as weak as ever, not just in the USA, but in Japan and their closest competitor, MS, has sold 1.5 million more Xbox's than GC's.

Broshnat

Banned
psycho_snake said:
Looks like my expectations are coming true. I was always confident that PSPwould outsell DS. PSP has a MG game, DS doesnt:p and also PSP is better in almost every other category.

Thinks are looking bad for Nintendo though, their DS sales have slipped behing PSP sales, GC sales are as weak as ever, not just in the USA, but in Japan and their closest competitor, MS, has sold 1.5 million more Xbox's than GC's.

Sold 1.5m more where?

It's funny how different a picture next week will paint.

Izzy

Banned
open_mouth_ said:
This discrepency is clearly due to the obvious shortage of Nintendo DS units in the retail channel. PSP's have been said to be "scarce" (by Sony cohorts, no doubt) eventhough they have been abundantly available.

I blame this round on Shortages. Wait 'till E3.

Back in the day there was a better one - wait 'til Spaceworld :lol

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Broshnat said:
Sold 1.5m more where?

That number might have been a bit too high, but I am certain that the difference in sales between GC and Xbox is near 1 million. Before the holiday season, Xbox was already outselling GC by 400K - 550K and we all know that because the difference in sales between the two in america is greater than in japan. the holiday season also meant a huge boost for Xbox, especially with the Halo 2 release and Xbox gained about 400K. If we add that altogether we will get something around 800K - 950K. I was wrong with my initial numbers, but my point is that Nintendo are losing more and more ground, without having a major title coming out soon. Zelda GC will help GC A LOT, but its release might be too late to help GC catch upto Xbox.

lies1zv.jpg

Pimpwerx

Broshnat said:
GBA isn't dead in Japan yet. It still did some good numbers over xmas. It should do another 1.5 million this year in Japan alone.

And how will PSP do 15million?? Please.

GBA only did 16m last year with no shortages, lots of momentum, and strong SP sales to boost the situation.

As we have bet, PSP will have to aim for around 10m by Dec 2005.
Sony's sold 20M PS1s and PS2s before. If you don't think they're targeting that same demographic, you're wrong. I think we're all gonna discover that handheld gamers jones for 3D just as much as console gamers do. What the GBA sold in a year means nothing. Sony is making 15-20M this year. This is based on their production numbers for the year. The sheer economics DEMAND that they sell all of them. At $150 per unit, if they fall short by 3M units or so, that's $500M in lost revenue. Their shareholders will kick their asses, and they'll probably be facing some major financial problems leading up to the PS3 launch. In other words, they need to sell most of what they make, or they are seriously fucked next year.

My estimates are based on the projections Sony is setting out. They aren't going to overestimate by too much, it's simply too risky. So if they're making a large number of units, they must expect to ship a lot of them. Because failure to do so would result in massive revenue loss and thus profit loss. And while it's possible for the PSP to underperform Sony's estimates, I'd like to think their decisions are made with lots of retailer feedback on what the demand situation is like.

In other words, I think the PSP's gonna sell that many b/c Sony thinks it will. If problems arise, Sony'll revise their production figures and their earnings forecast. They haven't made an official statement on the number of units they think they'll make for the 2006 fiscal year, but just based on that production schedule they mentioned before, they are gonna make way more than 15M units this year. And as you said, that's the most the GBA ever sold in a year. Therefore the PSP outselling the GBA seems a no-brainer. PEACE.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
I think 15 million is a bit out of reach, but it'll all depend on the supply during the holiday season. I can see as many as 6 million sold Oct-Dec 2005 if the units are available.

Insertia

PSP is going to rape GBA in PAL markets, that's for sure. GBA is just as fragile there as it is in Japan.

Unless Nintendo starts selling it for $49, I don't ever see it reclaiming either of those markets.

Broshnat said:
Sold 1.5m more where?

People just love to throw out numbers about the Xbox's lead over the GC. Of course, rarely does it have any basis in fact:

As of June 30th (the last date for comparable units)

PS2: 72.01 million
Xbox: 15.5 Million
Gamecube: 15.22 Million

As of Dec 31st (w/ Microsoft hopefully reporting numbers later today)

PS2: 81.39 million
Xbox: ??? (projected by Microsoft to sell 5M more units through June 30th, 2005)
Gamecube: 18.02

Broshnat

Banned
sonycowboy said:
People just love to throw out numbers about the Xbox's lead over the GC. Of course, rarely does it have any basis in fact:

As of June 30th (the last date for comparable units)

PS2: 72.01 million
Xbox: 15.5 Million
Gamecube: 15.22 Million

As of Dec 31st (w/ Microsoft hopefully reporting numbers later today)

PS2: 81.39 million
Xbox: ??? (projected by Microsoft to sell 5M more units through June 30th, 2005)
Gamecube: 18.02

Will probably be on 18.5- 19m at the most.

Ok, there's a 2m lead now in the US, but a 3m lead in Japan for the GC. And as far as I'm aware, not a lot in it in PAL regions.

Pimpwerx said:
Sony's sold 20M PS1s and PS2s before. If you don't think they're targeting that same demographic, you're wrong. I think we're all gonna discover that handheld gamers jones for 3D just as much as console gamers do.

Those sales were NOT in the first year of availability when there were expected shortages for at least the next several months through their respective launches. Theres no way in the world they can even produce 20M units with current capacity split between the PS2 & PSP.

I think 10M is a good number through the end of the year and I do expect the DS to be absolutely killed on a monthly basis once both systems get going. The DS, IMO, has no real future. As I've said before, it's merely a stopgap system to blunt PSP penetration before the GBANext gets released.

Broshnat

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Those sales were NOT in the first year of availability when there were expected shortages for at least the next several months through their respective launches. Theres no way in the world they can even produce 20M units with current capacity split between the PS2 & PSP.

I think 10M is a good number through the end of the year and I do expect the DS to be absolutely killed on a monthly basis once both systems get going. The DS, IMO, has no real future. As I've said before, it's merely a stopgap system to blunt PSP penetration before the GBANext gets released.

I'd be inclined to agree long-term. As you say, it's really more of a gimmicky console with some great new ideas than a GBA replacement.
That said, it should still do 30m worldwide without much trouble.

I know I say this every week, but these new portables haven't been out 2 months yet. Of course they're overshadowing GBA a bit. DS has already sold to about a million more people than PSP, so of course there's still more pent-up PSP launch demand. Way too early to see how they'll all be faring in, say, 6 months.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
The DS, IMO, has no real future. As I've said before, it's merely a stopgap system to blunt PSP penetration before the GBANext gets released.
True in some respects, but all Nintendo handhelds are only meant to have short 2-4 years lifespans. DS having "no real future" is redundant, it's not meant to be a 10 year investment like PSP.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
JoshuaJSlone said:
I know I say this every week, but these new portables haven't been out 2 months yet. Of course they're overshadowing GBA a bit. DS has already sold to about a million more people than PSP, so of course there's still more pent-up PSP launch demand. Way too early to see how they'll all be faring in, say, 6 months.

Agreed. I don't think you'd really say we're out of the early adopter phase for either portable yet, esp. when they've yet to be launched in all of the major regions. I'd think the real story begins going into 2005 holiday season.

Diffense

Personally, I suspect that the GBA is going to be replaced. Other than that, I agree 100%. That was the gist of my post looking at the enterbrain sales over the past few weeks. It's just too early to call.

Pimpwerx

sonycowboy said:

How can they not make 15-20M units? They are bumping to 2M a month in the Summer, right? Even assuming it happens in early-Fall instead (September), that's still gonna be 14M PSPs made from September to the following march, plus the 5M they'll be making from April this year to August. That's 19M units. Am I making this stuff up? The sheer math of their production schedule makes it almost impossible for them to make less than 15M. At the very least, they'll make 12M PSPs this year, b/c they'll be making 1M per month in April.

Understand, when I say 15-20M units, I'm underestimating. The PS1 and PS2 didn't sell that many in year 1, but that's irrelevant. The PS1 was a new system in the market and was establishing the brand. The PS2 simply had production problems. They could have sold 20M in year 1 easy. The PSP has neither of these problems. The Playstation brand is the strongest in gaming. There are no production problems. On the contrary, and as I predicted no less, the PSP will see the largest year 1 production of all their systems to date. I believe the PS2 was still only being produced in lots of 1-1.5M units though until early 2001, which is why the final shipping total topped out at just over 10M. I'm shorting Sony's PSP numbers, b/c if Kutaragi wasn't bullshitting us, the actual math is gonna look like this:

3M units @ 1M per month from Apr-Jun
+ 10M units @ 2M per month from Jul-Nov
+ 12M units @ 3M per month from Dec-Mar
-------
25M units shipped in year 1 based on the the production schedule mentioned by KK last week.

I'm cutting it short at 15-20M, assuming they hit production problems. This is regardless of demand, I'm not looking at that since it's not something that can be gauged. But Sony is planning to unleash the floodgates, and I don't think some quite appreciate the absolutely clobbering they are going to dole out. Their fiscal year conference is gonna blow some people's doors off. They are not playing games. They are going to take the handheld market completely, or crash and burn in spectacular fashion. As I said, even missing their totals by 3M units or so comes out to $500M in lost revenue. That's already a big loss in any fiscal report, and that's assuming a low price of $150. Imagine the damage if it's really a $180-200 part. They're gonna move these units any way they can.

It all goes back to what I've been saying about Sony needing to establish the PSP as a profitable device by the end of the fiscal year. I thought this from when they first announced it a couple years back. It's positioning in their production schedule seems like it was always intended to eliminate the transitional slump. The first year of their consoles have always had losses. I think both the PS1 and PS2 saw three losing quarters to one profitable one. The PSP, IMO, is intended to "bridge the gap". If they have a 15-20M PSP userbase, that's a very healthy userbase that can produce massive amounts of revenue. You can sell 4-6M GTAs or GT4s on a platform with that kind of userbase. Likewise, economies of scale make hardware losses marginal to none, so now you have a hot, growing product in the PSP that can generate profit. The PSTwo will be waning, but even its declining profits will only be black, not red on the account book, so they'll have that in addition to the PSP to help offset what will probably be large losses on the PS3. And I think we can continue to expect them to stagger the two systems in a similar fashion.

Who knows, maybe I'm totally off base. But the production schedule is the first hint we have at what they expect to do with the PSP this year. If it holds up, you're looking at 15M units easy...that'll be if they fall short on production. Optimimum is 25M. I expect it to be somewhere in-between (20M?), but 15M is a nice, conservative guess at this point. I don't think it matters what the GBA and other handhelds have sold before. I think this has to be a success, and a resounding success no less, otherwise Sony will be in dire straight financially. Failure is not an option. The PSP's failure could cause a cascade of problems for the PS3. I don't think it's appreciated how much Sony wants and needs this. PEACE.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The PSP has neither of these problems. The Playstation brand is the strongest in gaming. There are no production problems.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. They seemed to be constrained by how many 90nm parts they can shift at the moment. Which is why they had PStwo shortages and why they opted for a relatively small initial yield of PSPs for the Japanese launch. Ken has stated as much himself. They have a finite capacity to produce 90nm chips right now and that needs to be split between the PStwo and the PSP. There's also the issue of acquiring enough LCD displays, even if they could produce the rest of the parts needed for the PSP in quantities greater than any Playstation device before it.

Pimpwerx

kaching said:
I wouldn't be so sure about that. They seemed to be constrained by how many 90nm parts they can shift at the moment. Which is why they had PStwo shortages and why they opted for a relatively small initial yield of PSPs for the Japanese launch. Ken has stated as much himself. They have a finite capacity to produce 90nm chips right now and that needs to be split between the PStwo and the PSP. There's also the issue of acquiring enough LCD displays, even if they could produce the rest of the parts needed for the PSP in quantities greater than any Playstation device before it.
Ugh...maybe I'm making no sense. Am I the only one who remembers reading this at IGN?
One million may seem like a big number, but SCE's plans go beyond that. Kutaragi revealed that SCE hopes to increase production to two million units per month in the Summer. Still not impressed? The year end holiday rush could see a leap to three million units per month, a number which Kutaragi refers to as "a little crazy."
...and to be fair, some of the original wire stories don't specify time frames:

TOKYO, Jan 20, 2005 (AFX-UK via COMTEX) -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc, the game unit of consumer electronics giant Sony Corp, said it has shipped 800,000 PlayStation Portabale (PSP) game consoles since they were launched in Japan on December 12, and is now increasing production capacity as it prepares for the launch in the US and Europe.

PSPs, priced at some 20,000 yen each, rival the Gameboy portable game consoles of Nintendo Co Ltd, which now dominates the lucrative global market.

Unlike Nintendo's new Nintendo DS, the PSP can be used for playing music and movies as well as games. A Nintendo DS costs 15,000 yen.

Nintendo has already sold some 2 mln Nintendo DSs in Japan and the US.

Sony Computer Entertainment president and chief executive officer Ken Kutaragi said he is satisfied with the PSP's start-up.

"I must admit (sales) are not big enough yet," Kutaragi told a press conference. "But demand is so strong that we already do not have enough supply."

Sony Computer Entertainment said it will ramp up its monthly production capacity for PSPs to 1 mln units in April from 900,000 now.

Kutaragi said that, in future, production will be increased to 2.0 mln consoles a month and even to 3 mln. He did not say when.

If Sony can't appropriate LCDs or make the chips, then they are bluffing. They have acknowledged their production problems in the past, so I see no reason for KK and co to spew bullshit that will only set shareholders up for a disappointment come early-April. The PSP has none of the production problems the PS2 had (not after March at least), and it has a much stronger brand than when the PS1 first entered the market. Maybe some of you are being intentionally obtuse on this, or maybe I'm out in the middle of left field. But some were skeptical before when I said production was about to ramp up, and not more than a day later, the story broke. I'm not going on any insider info, just plain common sense. Even if IGN is wrong with the time frames, I think I've already made it abundantly clear that 15M is the bare minimum we see. Come April, they'll be making 1M per month. That's 12M in a year. 15M is less than half a production step up from that.

I don't mind Broshnat thinking I'm wrong, he's been owned before the PSP even has an official launch date for the US. I mean, not long ago, some thought 10M was gonna be impossible. Well, given what Kutaragi as said, I see no reason they can't hit 20M or higher for the year. Whether or not there's demand for it matters not. If the demand isn't there, Sony will take a bath, and we're probably wasting our time even discussing the PSP as a viable platform. But I don't think they're in the business of making impossible projections. As the market leader, they have nothing to prove. When I hear those production figures, I think it's clear they mean business.

It's alright though, I've got gobs of I told you so's waiting for the skeptics. 10M PSPs and a shrinking PS2 active base would be death for the PS3 launch, unless it's a late-2006 product in Japan. The PSP is out already, so there's no turning back. Objective 1 now is to grow the base as fast as possible and get it to start contributing positively to the bottom line ASAP. PEACE.

Broshnat

Banned
The killer line that you have missed is:

Kutaragi revealed that SCE hopes to increase production to two million units per month in the Summer. Still not impressed? The year end holiday rush could see a leap to three million units per month, a number which Kutaragi refers to as "a little crazy."

It will do around 10m by the end of 2005.

Everyone else is talking about Jan-Dec 2005, why do you keep trying to estimate for Apr 05- Mar 06? Let's just take one step at a time here...

Elios83

Just relax and wait until 27 April when Sony comunicates FY2004 results and all the forecasts for FY2005,PSP shipments figure included.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Pimpwerx said:
Ugh...maybe I'm making no sense. Am I the only one who remembers reading this at IGN?
You're making sense just fine and, yes, those articles are fresh in my mind. You're just making far more optimistic predictions about future performance than some of us are. Broshnat perfectly highlights where you are glossing over a statement of hope and trying to turn it into a promise.

If Sony can't appropriate LCDs or make the chips, then they are bluffing.
No, they're not bluffing because their recent talk about upping PSP production left out specifics of when exactly production would be increased to each new level and what their revised shipping predictions may be as a result, if any. So far, they have not changed initial predictions made last year of 3 million worldwide by end of this fiscal year (March 2005) and 10 million worldwide by end of first full year on sale.

I'm sure Sony had no intention of suffering massive worldwide shortages of the PStwo in the past few months, but shit happens.

Pimpwerx

Broshnat said:
The killer line that you have missed is:

It will do around 10m by the end of 2005.

Everyone else is talking about Jan-Dec 2005, why do you keep trying to estimate for Apr 05- Mar 06? Let's just take one step at a time here...
? The fiscal year is from Apr-Mar. What's the point of doing current year data when you have to extrapolate shipping figures? Why not just use the regular fiscal year which is what we'll be given shipping figures for? I thought this was the way it's been done since like 97/98 when these sales threads first became a regular thing on GAF. You have to extrapolate the shipping figures from Jan-Mar of this year b/c Sony doesn't break things down per quarter. If you are talking about New Years' then yeah...anything can happen. They don't plan a bump to 3M until the end of the year. But even at 1M per month, that's 10M they will make by year's end. That's if they never increase the production to 2M/month, which will happen and probably around Summer as reported. Even if they wait until early-Fall to bump production to 2M/month, that's still 8M for Sep-Dec + 5M for Apr-Aug + 2.5M from Jan-Mar = 15.5M units by the end of the calendar year. You were saying?

Are you banking on PSP production staying at 1M per month the rest of the year or something? Like I said, I have no problem with you thinking I'm wrong, you're wrong already. You called Japan wrong already with the PSP and GBA, and you're gonna be wrong when Sony reveals their projections for the year. I see you've already retreated from your original guess that the PSP won't top 10M in a year. Why'd you change your mind? And why is 15M now so far off? Certainly you changed your projection based on the change in Sony's production. But that change was only +100K per month. If they can't bump that to 2M by Fall, I'll laugh. They'd have serious production problems if that's the case. We'll see, but you'll be eating crow all year long.

For reference, Sony kept pretty accurately to the production bumps they forecasted for the PS2. I don't know why that'll change now. I'd like to see if KK welches on it those statements in the April conference. And I'd like to see how shareholders react to that change.

kaching said:
You're making sense just fine and, yes, those articles are fresh in my mind. You're just making far more optimistic predictions about future performance than some of us are. Broshnat perfectly highlights where you are glossing over a statement of hope and trying to turn it into a promise.
That was a paraphrase by IGN, not a quote. Why would Ken Kutaragi (head of SCE) make a comment about production bumps at a Sony press conference unless it was somehow relevant to their future plans? The newswire article never mentioned the timeframe of the production bumps, so I assumed IGN pulled their comments from somewhere else, maybe someone actually at the event. I don't know why he would be commenting on something years in the future when it will be construed by many people as pertaining to the immediate future. Even with the PS2, he always commented on die-shrinks and production bumps pertaining to the coming year, not further than that.

No, they're not bluffing because their recent talk about upping PSP production left out specifics of when exactly production would be increased to each new level and what their revised shipping predictions may be as a result, if any. So far, they have not changed initial predictions made last year of 3 million worldwide by end of this fiscal year (March 2005) and 10 million worldwide by end of first full year on sale.

I'm sure Sony had no intention of suffering massive worldwide shortages of the PStwo in the past few months, but shit happens.
When did Sony claim that 10M unit figure? They're regurgitated the 3M one a million times, but I've never seen the 10M unit comment except from Broshnat. And even he's changing his tune on that. I had no idea the 10M unit was an official figure. Was this from the 2004 fiscal year report?

As for PSTwo shortages, this has been widely reported as a production choice of PSTwo over PSP for the holiday season. If that's the case, it was a choice, not an anomaly. Their projections haven't changed, b/c AFAIK, the 3M units figure is the only official one they've made, and the production change doesn't take effect until after the fiscal year, so it has no bearing on that 3M PSPs. AFAIK, they haven't said anything about this year, and won't until around late March or so when they start prepping sales figures. And I've never seen them quote numbers for calendar years, always fiscal years. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. I've only jumped back into sales threads in the last two months. For the year and a half before that, I've been on hiatus from the gaming forum. PEACE.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
10+ million for the calendar year, 15 million for the upcoming fiscal year. Sounds about right (although they'd probably need to be closer to 12m by Jan 06 to make that 15 million happen).

I think DS is going to have a good year too though.

Pokemon, Mario Kart DS, Final Fantasy III, Castlevania, etc.

Nintendo should be able to sell 9-10 million DS' themselves, especailly if they drop to $99.

It's Final Fantasy III (Japan), the version that was never released in North America officially.

Although I would guess DS will also get FFIV-VI as well.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Pimpwerx, Sony stated "around 10 million" units for 1st year back in May 2004:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/518/518040p1.html

I haven't seen them revise upward since then. Maybe they will but they haven't yet, and so far they've stuck to the only other sales projection they've made, which was to ship 3 million by the end of this fiscal year.

Broshnat

Banned
Extrapolate what?

Sony do break shipments down by quarter, they have just announced Oct-Dec numbers, that's 3rd quarter of this fiscal year.

Everyone else is talking jan-dec.

DCharlie

Banned
another one of my bullshit observations coming right up from tonights shopping trip :

Shibuya
Bic (small) - PSP SOLD OUT, DS available
Tsutaya - PSP SOLD OUT, DS available
Bic (Big) - PSP SOLD OUT, DS available
Sakuraya - PSP SOLD OUT, DS available

Toritsu Daigaku
Chameleon Club - PSP SOLD OUT, DS available
Small mom and pop store - PSP SOLD OUT, DS available

I'm sure you can't extrapolate anything from this, but can you spot the hints of a trend????

DCharlie said:
another one of my bullshit observations coming right up from tonights shopping trip :

Shibuya

Toritsu Daigaku

I'm sure you can't extrapolate anything from this, but can you spot the hints of a trend????

You're wrong. There's lots of PSPs available. They're just in camoflage or something.

teiresias

Umm, the original (non-photoshopped) version of that advertisement was released by Sega around the time of the PS2 launch offering Sony their condolences on their shipment issues concerning PS2.

border

DCharlie said:

Shibuya

Toritsu Daigaku

Why are you so the bias?

DCharlie said:

Shibuya

Toritsu Daigaku

Amazingly enough, in the US, I've been to multiple stores that have plenty of DS's. Probably not the norm, but they all said that they've been in stock for over a week. Methinks the bloom is off of the rose. From the retailer perspective, they're pissed that the software that's available is weak (minus Mario & Wario), no new software for awhile, and they don't expect more than a handful of skus for a few months.

jarrod

Banned
teiresias said:
Umm, the original (non-photoshopped) version of that advertisement was released by Sega around the time of the PS2 launch offering Sony their condolences on their shipment issues concerning PS2.
And their fate was... a machine that did exactly the same thing it's predecssor did. What am I missing?

Top Bottom