• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EPIC buys RAD Tools

x@3f*oo_e!

Sure, but 43mm2 bigger with 30 more CU’s (PS5 is “estimated” at around 308 mm2 for a 40 CU’s design and XSX has 60 CU’s, each has disabled CU’s, and we do not know the size of the CU’s in PS5 and in XSX, but we can see how big the GPU portion of the die is). We also know they have a wide memory interface and I suspect those GDDR6 memory controllers to take more space to/make for a bigger die. I think the due size difference is covered well by the extra CU’s and the wider memory bus solution with space to spare (look how comparatively smaller the beastly Ryzen 2 CPU cores, cache aside, are).
jkUNM0S.jpg
Afaiik the extra CUs in Series X (56 not 60 afaik) should take up around 48mm2 based on estimates from the information currently available (56 CU @ 47% of die size .. so just using simple maths) That's probably an overestimate because CUs are not all of the GPU part

There is also one extra GDDR5 controller on die (~5mm2?) so if everything else is equal this means there is ~10mm2 (or even more) extra die space (compared to Series X) on PS5 chip for functions that isn't CPU/GPU/DRAM controller. I believe the SSD controller is separate, and haven't yet seen a PS5 die shot so I really don't know exactly what that is.

Maybe you can get a better guess

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Afaiik the extra CUs in Series X (56 not 60 afaik)
Correct 56 with 4 disabled, I made a silly mistake there. I will edit my post.

Afaiik the extra CUs in Series X (56 not 60 afaik) should take up around 48mm2 based on estimates from the information currently available (56 CU @ 47% of die size .. so just using simple maths) That's probably an overestimate because CUs are not all of the GPU part

There is also one extra GDDR5 controller on die (~5mm2?) so if everything else is equal this means there is ~10mm2 (or even more) extra die space (compared to Series X) on PS5 chip for functions that isn't CPU/GPU/DRAM controller. I believe the SSD controller is separate, and haven't yet seen a PS5 die shot so I really don't know exactly what that is.
See the image above with the XSX SoC, it is possible to gather some rough metrics from there. The problem is also that we are assuming that the CU size is similar across both consoles and there could be variation (unlikely to be significant I think). Still, even if it were 10-15 mm2 it would not be an incredibly small delta as you could fit almost 4 Ryzen 2 cores (L2 included) or 2 with a portion of L3 too:
  • Core size incl. L2 cache and one L3 cache slice: 7.83 mm²[1]
  • Core size incl. L2 cache: 3.64 mm² (estimated)

I believe in PS5 the I/O processor is separate from the custom SSD controller. Custom I/O unit inside the main SoC:
ekBV9Lv.jpg

Custom SSD controller:
jGnxW7x.jpg

hqEGi61.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom