• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic CEO Tim Sweeney Says Only Exclusive Deals Can Combat Steam

Mista

Banned
tim_sweeney_epic_3.jpg

The PC scene is a pretty polarizing one right now. We’ve reported on it, many others have as well. The Epic Games Store has become an unexpected disruption in the ecosystem that has lead to many upset players. At the forefront is the CEO of Epic, Tim Sweeney. He’s not been shy about the strategy of buying exclusive games for the storefront, the crux of many’s issue with the store. Don’t expect it to stop anytime soon, either, because Sweeney thinks it’s the only way to realistically combat Steam.

Steam became the de facto PC standard years ago when Valve launched the storefront in a time where mainstream development had moved to consoles almost entirely. Since then, it’s been built up with multiple features, largely becoming synonymous with PC gaming in the process. Because of that, Sweeney was dismissive of ideas that a ‘feature war’ against Steam was ever a viable strategy due to how ingrained Steam has become. That’s why he says that Epic has pursued exclusive storefront games as their primary source of trying to take that market share. You can see the lengthy explanation at the man’s official Twitter below.

In the end, his logic does follow. Steam has become an institution in and of itself for PC gaming, so even if Epic had tried to launch with some unique feature would it have made the same splash? After all, GOG has something Steam doesn’t with DRM-free games, but it doesn’t seem to have helped its overall market share all that much.

But things do get a little more dicey especially since the features on the Epic Games Store are also severely lacking even basic ones (it doesn’t even have a shopping cart as of this article), and there’s been a lot of controversy when they’ve pulled games that were crowdfunded, such as Shenmue III recently.

Silvawuff

That was a cringe thing to read. If you want to insight positive change the industry, provide a better service for game producers and consumers alike. "Exclusives" wouldn't have to happen if they gave people a reason to use EGS over other storefronts.

Orenji Neko

I'd prefer ways that actually benefit the consumer. You know, such as offering a better product, services, etc. That little thing we call competition where a company does whatever it can to earn your money by providing you with something you'd part with it for.

scraz

So before they were like steam is ripping devs off and playing the white night card. I am never installing that shit.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Wake me up when these lame launcher wars end.

Ive got a huge steam backlog of games to play. Im happy to try other launchers but im not going to be bullied by forced exclusives. Just make a better or at least "as good as" product and WOW people will use it. Magic!

Simple question: How did CDPR become successful in a saturated market?
Simple answer: They produce great products and gained their audience's trust by treating them well.

No amount of apologetic PR talk and backhanded business practices will be a substitute for simply making a great product.

renzolama

Wake me up when these lame launcher wars end.

Ive got a huge steam backlog of games to play. Im happy to try other launchers but im not going to be bullied by forced exclusives. Just make a better or at least "as good as" product and WOW people will use it. Magic!

Sorry, but what's a 'Bat Team'? Does gaf have a batman superfriend team that solves crimes? I want to believe...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well, it's good to see the admission that they have nothing else to offer despite all the bs about the fee, the pro-dev outlook or whatever else doesn't amount to shit when you don't have the features and good will to back it up. If the fee and all other bs were the reasons pretty much all devs would be happy to go exclusive without Epic's money, EGS would be the default go-to store for everyone and gamers would have to follow. At least for the minority of devs lucky enough to win the EGS lottery as their oh-so-pro-dev/indie stance forbids the vast majority of games from getting the chance to be on there, Tim or someone at Epic has to fancy you enough first where Steam gives you just the same access, support and tools as it gives the biggest AAA pub (when Epic shows preferential treatment and the more money you have the more you can do with EGS, even not be exclusive, like Ubi). Which people with serious money like Tim just can't accept, that some nobody working from his basement out of passion can have the same rights and chances as an entity the size of Epic, or his ego. Funny how people criticized Steam when it stopped indies from having easy access to it, which is what led to greenlight and eventually the current self publishing potential, but a service that is essentially Steam circa early 00s or worse, ignoring advancements made in nearly two decades by our and the industry's feedback, is oh so amazing that only Steam fanboys can't see it.

Last edited:
Sure seems to be combating Steam, it sure shows with all the changes Valve is making the amount of fucks they give about this fart in the wind store and Tim Sweeney.

Pssst: ...or they could offer a comparable feature set.

I'm not a PC gamer. I've watched this from the sidelines the whole time and even I can smell b.s.

Steam offers a suite of features that EGS doesn't have. That is why a lot of people complain. Sure, some might be complaining because they're brand-loyal, but I feel that is too often the catch-all excuse to handwave complaints about what EGS is doing to the PC market.

Wave bye-bye to the "open platform", suckers!

Yeah, it's only way of definitely not getting me to use EGS for a purchase. I've logged on and taken free games, then closed it. I tried to give it an earnest test even, but it's just a shit store.
Really, this just reeks of desperation. If they wanted they should've just funded some exclusives, like getting a From Software game, that'd likely have a lot of pull, after all, people don't mind exclusives that are games funded by a company. But buying exclusivity afterwards, just to not have the game appear on another storefront, that's shit tier. Really, all the indie games and few AAA games they're buying isn't going to sway me to use the abomination that's the EGS. In fact, it just makes me far more adamant on not using it and it tarnishes my previous good image of Epic.

A.Romero

Every time something like this gets posted, I dislike Tim a bit more.

He seems like a competente CEO. I mean, Epic is a very successful company. It's just a huge contrast to run the business like that and then act like this in social media and try to push decisions like that.

Goff2k

I don't mind loading up another store but Timmy Tencent is just moneyhatting games to be exclusive so I'm staying far away from that store.

Besides looks like some of the "exclusives" are popping up on M$ store. I get to use that xbox PC gamepass. Sweet deal.

Xilium

I don't disagree, to be honest. Even if EGS came out with feature parity to Steam (a virtually impossible task as Steam/Valve have had ~15 years to get to where they are), the fact remains that for established PC gamers, their game library is already on Steam so there is almost no reason for them to make the switch (unless you honestly think the average gamer actually gives a flying fuck about developers making more money on game sales).

For newer PC gamers, the issue is Steam having a virtual monopoly on digital PC game sales. Developers KNOW their games will sell on Steam because they have significantly more users than any other PC digital store and have an established brand (they are the Band-Aid or Google of the PC gaming market), so without financial incentive, they have no reason to not release their games on Steam. For one reason or another, they appear to be significantly less incentivized to release their games on other storefronts (not even Amazon) and even when they do, most of the time you're getting a Steam key anyway. So since nearly all games come out on Steam whereas only a handful come out on other platforms, most new PC gamers will inevitably get sucked into the Steam ecosystem and then you're back to the library issue.

I mean, Steam got to where they are by forcing people to use their platform to play certain games. Epic, and others before them, are just trying to do the same.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Steam is like Walmart.

People might not like Steam has PC gaming with a stranglehold, but don't seem to care enough to leave it, so Steam's power dwindles to rivals.

And devs can't help but give in and sell on Steam because that's where the most customers are. So most support it.

It's like those articles you read where small town USA protests Walmart and Home Depot coming to town like they are the devil. A big box store gets a permit to open shop and the place is packed, where smaller stores become empty.

So which is it? You hate big box stores like Steam and Walmart? Or you keep secretly supporting them so they become behemoths? Can't have it both ways.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Would people have a problem with it if they were funding exclusives? If Epic say paid for a new Eternal Darkness or California Games, I wonder what the reaction would be.

Buying Shenmue 3 exclusivity is not a good example of what to do.

near

Gold Member
The Epic Game store is a pile of shit, Sweeneys company strategy is toxic, and Steam is our ‘lord and saviour’. But come October 25th I will install Epics launcher and go to The Outer Worlds.

CyRuZ

Banned
Then develope exclusives by yourselve or buy studios to develope exclusivly for your store. But stop running around with your wallet and pay for 3rd. party exclusivity you fucktard.

Last edited:
He is right. No console or gaming platform achieved success without exclusives.

Xbox one is not selling coz no true exclusives.

The Epic Game store is a pile of shit, Sweeneys company strategy is toxic, and Steam is our ‘lord and saviour’. But come October 25th I will install Epics launcher and go to The Outer Worlds.
Why? Get Outerworld via game pass for 1$?

Ya you have to use Windows store but it's 1$ dude lol

Tim is a narcisstic liar and EGS launcher and storefront is laughably amateur hour with a lack of basic services. Fuck off Tim. I'll deal with the Windows store before Epic. Atleast MS isn't scum anymore with their moneyhatting. I hope this entire shitty situation boosts Game Pass on PC for the Outer Worlds.

Last edited:

Zaffo

I'm sure that when the Fortnite money well will eventually dry up, having a history of either forcing people to use a awful client if they want to play their games right now, or wait a year or so to play on a more robust platform, will do wonders in terms of user trust and goodwill.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
He is right. No console or gaming platform achieved success without exclusives.

Xbox one is not selling coz no true exclusives.

Xbox is not selling mainly because it never focused outside America. New Xbox does not seem to be any different.

Unique and original games with variety made for a specific system is different than exclusives. Epic representative thinks that computers work like consoles.
This is not the case.
While one could buy a console to play a game like Zelda, Tlou2, how, gow5, grand tourismo etc the purchase of a more expensive computer aims for much more and it is not driven by specific game franchises.

I fear all these wars the way they take place will increase piracy again and will drive publishers even further to isolation from the gaming public.

Senhua

He sound like Sony with their beloved third party exclusive deals.
The Apple doesn't fall far from the tree I guess.

As if Steam needs to be combatted. Even if they do have a monopoly (they don't, by definition they just don't) they don't behave like one. They're pro-consumer with frequent sales, a solid refund policy and, to my knowledge, have never been caught rooting through people's harddrives without permission. I also laugh at the notion that the 30% cut is extortionate, quite the opposite, it's perfectly in line with retail. Don't see Tim "Epic exclusive Savior Complex™" Sweeney ranting about how retail is killing the industry, or how they have a stranglehold. Anyone really paying attention has known for some time what this is about. Epic has no interest in making the PC gaming marketplace better, from the very beginning this has been a transparent attempt to supplant Steam as the market leader. Well I for one say that Tim "only I can cure cancer" Sweeney can go fuck himself with a rusty bollard.

Blancka

As if Steam needs to be combatted. Even if they do have a monopoly (they don't, by definition they just don't) they don't behave like one. They're pro-consumer with frequent sales, a solid refund policy and, to my knowledge, have never been caught rooting through people's harddrives without permission. I also laugh at the notion that the 30% cut is extortionate, quite the opposite, it's perfectly in line with retail. Don't see Tim "Epic exclusive Savior Complex™" Sweeney ranting about how retail is killing the industry, or how they have a stranglehold. Anyone really paying attention has known for some time what this is about. Epic has no interest in making the PC gaming marketplace better, from the very beginning this has been a transparent attempt to supplant Steam as the market leader. Well I for one say that Tim "only I can cure cancer" Sweeney can go fuck himself with a rusty bollard.
Their refund policy was only put in place because what they were doing before was highly illegal and they had to be forced into it. It's also not very pro-consumer that they disallow games sold on their platform to have a lower base price on another platform, and only allow lower price from competition in limited run sales.

Retailers give up a lot more to stock games, given it takes up physical space to promote said products, whereas steam needs nothing but a .png to advertise any product it wants to thousands of people, but even then 30% is still a hefty cut.

You don't see anyone complaining that retail is ruining the industry because retail has been consistently getting smaller and smaller for game sales vs online. You also don't seem to remember the whole crusade against pre-owned sales 7 or 8 years ago.

Why do you view them becoming market leader as an inherently evil thing? If they improve EGS to the level steam is at, or make it better than steams current state, and are giving devs a better cut from sales, then what's the issue? It would literally be beneficial for everybody.

I feel like a massive part of the anti-EGS movement is people who either just don't want to have their games library split between launchers, and people who just dislike tim sweeney for shitty things he's done in the past, and are judging based on that rather than EGS for what it is.

Their refund policy was only put in place because what they were doing before was highly illegal and they had to be forced into it. It's also not very pro-consumer that they disallow games sold on their platform to have a lower base price on another platform, and only allow lower price from competition in limited run sales.

Retailers give up a lot more to stock games, given it takes up physical space to promote said products, whereas steam needs nothing but a .png to advertise any product it wants to thousands of people, but even then 30% is still a hefty cut.

You don't see anyone complaining that retail is ruining the industry because retail has been consistently getting smaller and smaller for game sales vs online. You also don't seem to remember the whole crusade against pre-owned sales 7 or 8 years ago.

Why do you view them becoming market leader as an inherently evil thing? If they improve EGS to the level steam is at, or make it better than steams current state, and are giving devs a better cut from sales, then what's the issue? It would literally be beneficial for everybody.

I feel like a massive part of the anti-EGS movement is people who either just don't want to have their games library split between launchers, and people who just dislike tim sweeney for shitty things he's done in the past, and are judging based on that rather than EGS for what it is.
lol...Reddit spacing every other line. Don't do that. Also retail and pre-owned are totally different. Don't conflate them. You can have one without the other quite easily.
I think you wildly underestimate just how much it costs to run CDN's all across the world. Steam does not need "nothing but a .png". They need physical space to store the servers on which that .png is stored. They need their domains. They need internet connections for each of those CDN's (internet connections which, in the enterprise space, are not unlimited and are charged per MB... i.e. the more customers you have the more you pay). They need to hire teams of staff to maintain those CDN's with as little downtime as possible. They need to hire support staff to help users. They need to hire support staff to help developers / publishers. They need to give up space on the front page that could be used to advertise something else. Etc etc.
I dislike EGS, not because of what Tim Sweeney has done in the past, but because of what his company is doing right NOW. Exclusives are not a means to an end. They are a statement of intent. EGS is, and always has been, anti-consumer. If they become the market leader that isn't going to change. As a marketplace it is severely lacking in terms of features, last I checked it doesn't even have a shopping cart, leading to people getting banned during the sale because multiple purchases must be made one at a time, tripping up fraud protection. This is the same launcher that was caught rooting through Steam's files, bypassing the Steam API, which exists for a reason, without permission from the user.
I do however love your attempt to dismiss everyone who is anti-EGS. How very...Randy Pitchford of you...

Top Bottom